2018 Offseason Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread 

Post#2261 » by Pillendreher » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm

kdthunderup wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:On their latest podcast, the Thunder Buddies said that the Thunder would be willing to pay a huge luxury tax bill if it made the team better. Yet they also said that "you don't want them taking on bad long term contracts", so I wonder what kind of improvement they had in mind on that front.

Love is the only one that makes sense in my head.

Yeah, they specifally mentioned him. Said there was "talk", but it sounded more like "fans are asking about him".
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Sun_Tzu
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#2262 » by Sun_Tzu » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 am

Pillendreher wrote:On their latest podcast, the Thunder Buddies said that the Thunder would be willing to pay a huge luxury tax bill if it made the team better. Yet they also said that "you don't want them taking on bad long term contracts", so I wonder what kind of improvement they had in mind on that front.

I had been hoping this was a possibility. It makes things much more interesting. If the main goal was simply to reduce the tax bill, it felt like we were stuck giving up what few assets we have remaining to unload Melo’s contract for a smaller bad contract, or stretching Melo. If the owners are willing to go half way and save say 50% of what stretching Melo would save, we open up all kinds of options.

The simplest option is probably just to sell 2019 cap space for a useful player with 2 years left under contract in the neighborhood of 16-20m/year (Atlanta and Bazemore, NY and Lee, or Charlotte and MKG or Williams come to mind).

I kind of like the idea of flipping the script on everyone. Instead of paying someone to take Melo as everyone seems to think we will do, getting paid to take back a worse contract with 2 years remaining, but lower per year cap hits. There seems to be no shortage of negative value contracts with 2 years remaining.

Hoping Presti shocks us all with something brilliant this summer.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#2263 » by slick_watts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 am

i don't think the thunder buddies know anything. there's been zero reporting of the thunder looking at anything other than salary dump scenarios for melo, situations where the thunder could save more money than they would by otherwise buying him out and stretching. the fantasy that this team is looking to add significant 2019-20 salary hasn't been a part of any serious reports that i've seen; more like fan lip service.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#2264 » by getrichordie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 am

kdthunderup wrote:

Love is the only one that makes sense in my head.

Could you imagine? That would be a scary front-court rotation: Love/Adams then Grant/Noel.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#2265 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am

slick_watts wrote:i don't think the thunder buddies know anything. there's been zero reporting of the thunder looking at anything other than salary dump scenarios for melo, situations where the thunder could save more money than they would by otherwise buying him out and stretching. the fantasy that this team is looking to add significant 2019-20 salary hasn't been a part of any serious reports that i've seen; more like fan lip service.

There's never any reporting of anything around here.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2266 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:27 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:i don't think the thunder buddies know anything. there's been zero reporting of the thunder looking at anything other than salary dump scenarios for melo, situations where the thunder could save more money than they would by otherwise buying him out and stretching. the fantasy that this team is looking to add significant 2019-20 salary hasn't been a part of any serious reports that i've seen; more like fan lip service.

I think it's both. From the outside, it doesn't seem like the Oklahoman beatwriters know all that much. Yet no reports doesn't mean anything for the Thunder. For all we know, Presti could be looking to trade a future FRP for Justise Winslow right now.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
thekaoswithin
Junior
And1: 240

Post#2267 » by thekaoswithin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

I think it's both. From the outside, it doesn't seem like the Oklahoman beatwriters know all that much. Yet no reports doesn't mean anything for the Thunder. For all we know, Presti could be looking to trade a future FRP for Justise Winslow right now.

The PG13 trade came basically out of nowhere, right? Why would we expect to hear anything about a Love trade right now?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2268 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 pm

thekaoswithin wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:There's never any reporting of anything around here.

The PG13 trade came basically out of nowhere, right? Why would we expect to hear anything about a Love trade right now?

So you're telling me there's a chance? :P
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#2269 » by slick_watts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:46 pm

spearsy23 wrote:

there's been quite a lot of hub bub on melo and the thunder from national reporters and it has all centered on stretching or finding a trade to save more than stretching. the other stuff has been schlock.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#2270 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:17 pm

slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

there's been quite a lot of hub bub on melo and the thunder from national reporters and it has all centered on stretching or finding a trade to save more than stretching. the other stuff has been schlock.

It's all schlock. Those national reporters aren't plugged in, they're reporting the most reasonable scenario that could play out. And fwiw I agree with them, but not because they're saying it, just because it's what makes the most sense.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2271 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#2272 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Per Marc Stein's newsletter:

That's because Oklahoma City's Carmelo Anthony, who still has one as well, will soon forfeit the much-discussed NTC he received from the Knicks in the summer of 2014 as soon as he secures his looming exit from the Thunder and lands a new contract, most likely with the Houston Rockets.

So I guess he will be traded? No need to waive the NTC if he gets bought out.
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,504

Post#2273 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#2274 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Thabo Sefolosha wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are you woj?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#2275 » by Thundershock88 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Glad that saga is over. Time to move forward.
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#2276 » by Thunder Up » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 pm

what an outstanding trade by Sam the god Presti
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#2277 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 pm

The Tax savings on the Melo deal is huge. If the roster was the same as it was before the Melo trade they would have owed $145 million in lux tax.

Now they will only owe $100 million this year and $51 million next year. So the Thunder really just offset the funds. I am a little shocked a first round pick was attatched I really didnt think it needed to be.

Dennis Schröder is going to be 25 when the season starts. He can play with Russ. This should get pretty interesting moving forward.
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#2278 » by Thunder Up » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Russ / Schroder / Felton
Roberson / Ferguson / Abrines / Burton
PG13 / Ferguson / Abrines
Grant / Patterson
Adams / Noel / Dakari

wow wow wow stay healthy

now move Singler, Abrines and maybe 2Pat around the deadline
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#2279 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Tlc? Three team deal.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thekaoswithin
Junior
And1: 240

Post#2280 » by thekaoswithin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 pm

This is a deep deep team now. Solid contributors everywhere.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder