Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread 

Post#3061 » by slick_watts » Mon Aug 6, 2018 2:25 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
When you look at what a lot of nba players are, I think Russel Westbrook’s story with his wife is pretty cool and admirable.

what does this even mean? is it surprising to you that an nba player has a wife and family? this is a weird comment with some questionable undertones imo and possible micro aggression.

This is a weird slant even for you.

slant? what are you implying....
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3062 » by slick_watts » Mon Aug 6, 2018 2:27 pm

betting odds appear a lot more favorable for the thunder than rpm projections, for what that's worth. i'd value that a little higher, especially this far away from the season.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#3063 » by Dn4sty » Mon Aug 6, 2018 8:36 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
what does this even mean? is it surprising to you that an nba player has a wife and family? this is a weird comment with some questionable undertones imo and possible micro aggression.

slant? what are you implying....

There are so many fatherless homes across the US and the world. I grew up in one. It’s awesome to see Russ being the opposite of that. As far as undertones and all the other things you think it might imply, that’s on you.

I applaud Russ (and anyone for that matter) that is a husband and father in a world where this is oftentimes lacking.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#3064 » by getrichordie » Tue Aug 7, 2018 10:01 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
When you look at what a lot of nba players are, I think Russel Westbrook’s story with his wife is pretty cool and admirable.

Responding to Krntz:

I think it’s amazing what not only in the realm of NBA players, but in the realm of humanity.

Responding to slick_watts:

Bro, what undertones is Krntz suggesting? He’s just saying some players cheat on their wives and struggle with a lot of things, whereas Russ is out here being a dad and as far as we know, a faithful husband. That’s something to celebrate. I think you are over-analyzing this...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3065 » by slick_watts » Tue Aug 7, 2018 10:38 am

getrichordie wrote:Bro, what undertones is Krntz suggesting? He’s just saying some players cheat on their wives and struggle with a lot of things

which players?

better yet, don't answer that. this board doesn't need a discussion on microaggressions.

obviously westbrook and his wife being happy and taking care of their children is a good thing. so we can leave it there.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#3066 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:09 pm

slick_watts wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Bro, what undertones is Krntz suggesting? He’s just saying some players cheat on their wives and struggle with a lot of things

which players?

better yet, don't answer that. this board doesn't need a discussion on microaggressions.

obviously westbrook and his wife being happy and taking care of their children is a good thing. so we can leave it there.

Tons of players (I'm sure 95% of instances we don't know anything about). It comes with the luxurious lifestyle of the NBA. Constant travels too. A lot of gold digging girls out there. I'm sure there are players with 'girlfriends' in multiple cities.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#3067 » by getrichordie » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:44 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

which players?

Tons of players (I'm sure 95% of instances we don't know anything about). It comes with the luxurious lifestyle of the NBA. Constant travels too. A lot of gold digging girls out there. I'm sure there are players with 'girlfriends' in multiple cities.

Yup. Those aren't microaggressions. That's called reality and facts.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#3068 » by spearsy23 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 1:58 pm

slick_watts wrote:

which players?

Dwight Howard, Paul George, Tony Parker, Kobe, Klay, Nick young, d-wade. Those are a few that have been big news in the last few years. Are you seriously pretending that monogamy is the norm in professional sports?

Granted, there's some survivor bias here, in that good relationships aren't generally media worthy so we're going to hear more about the guys playing the field and cheating.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3069 » by slick_watts » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:39 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

which players?

Dwight Howard, Paul George, Tony Parker, Kobe, Klay, Nick young, d-wade. Those are a few that have been big news in the last few years. Are you seriously pretending that monogamy is the norm in professional sports?

Granted, there's some survivor bias here, in that good relationships aren't generally media worthy so we're going to hear more about the guys playing the field and cheating.

it was a mistake to even bring this up here.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#3070 » by Balkman32 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:59 pm

The best was AK47. He got one free pass a season to cheat on his wife. I wonder if he ever used it before the New Year or got close to the end of the year and didn’t use it wisely.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#3071 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 3:01 pm

Think that last sentence could have ended a word sooner.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3072 » by slick_watts » Tue Aug 7, 2018 3:08 pm

Balkman32 wrote:The best was AK47. He got one free pass a season to cheat on his wife. I wonder if he ever used it before the New Year or got close to the end of the year and didn’t use it wisely.

could he roll it over like benefits? sounds like something to put in a pre-nup.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#3073 » by spearsy23 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 8:32 pm

Oh yay, we get to be spanked on national TV again to start the season.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3074 » by slick_watts » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:16 am

spearsy23 wrote:Oh yay, we get to be spanked on national TV again to start the season.

we'll beat the warriors.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#3075 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:29 am

Just looked into it, and one of the big shifts from 2017 to 2018 as far as close/late game situations (NBA.com's clutch time) was they played way slower. Wonder if no Melo opens that up again.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#3076 » by Pillendreher » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:10 pm

bondom34 wrote:Just looked into it, and one of the big shifts from 2017 to 2018 as far as close/late game situations (NBA.com's clutch time) was they played way slower. Wonder if no Melo opens that up again.
Playing so much slower with this team was a self-defeating move. They had to "out-possession" teams (turnovers, offensive rebounds), yet they themselves had fewer opportunities to score because they played too slow. Not being able to shoot/generate good shots in the half-court will never mesh with playing slow.

If you can't shoot, run - Sam Presti

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using RealGM mobile app
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3077 » by slick_watts » Wed Aug 8, 2018 1:07 pm

fast break points per possession down with the best lineups for sure from 2016-17. still decent relative to the rest of the league and rest of top lineups except golden state. but thunder were with golden state at the top of this in 2016-17. melo certainly a factor, but also i think paul george maybe. he's been in slow offenses most of his career too.

other than fbp i don't think melo slowing the team down was that negatively impactful. a lot of our slow offense was that weave nonsense we started doing to begin every half court possession.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#3078 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:28 pm

slick_watts wrote:melo certainly a factor, but also i think paul george maybe. he's been in slow offenses most of his career too.

Agreed, it was especially bad at the beginning of the year but he never completely integrated. One of the hallmarks in the Durant era was KD catching an outlet near midcourt while he was already running off of a rebound. George was rarely leading a break unless it was off a turnover.
thekaoswithin
Junior
And1: 240

Post#3079 » by thekaoswithin » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:50 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:melo certainly a factor, but also i think paul george maybe. he's been in slow offenses most of his career too.

Agreed, it was especially bad at the beginning of the year but he never completely integrated. One of the hallmarks in the Durant era was KD catching an outlet near midcourt while he was already running off of a rebound. George was rarely leading a break unless it was off a turnover.

I think at some point PG spoke about how he had to slim down throughout the year to match Russ's pace, because he wasn't used to that kind of ball. He's clearly aware, and the team has spoken on every level about the run and gun mentality they want, so maybe that'll be something they actively work on.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#3080 » by Pillendreher » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using RealGM mobile app
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder