2018-2019 OKC Thunder Regular Season Pt 1: A Renewed Hope

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

nbaguy1
Freshman
And1: 36

Re: 2018-2019 OKC Thunder Regular Season Pt 1: A Renewed Hope 

Post#801 » by nbaguy1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 am

Pillendreher wrote:
getrichordie wrote:I think they should definitely be out there to close games.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. See below.

getrichordie wrote:They need to get a feel for each other sooner rather than later. You need to be able to have your best 5 players on the court at any given time.

The 2 and 4 should be up for grabs based on the matchup. Neither of the players available is good enough to get any sort of guarantee.

getrichordie wrote:I think as long as Schroder can hit 3s on the catch at 36% and Grant can hit his at 36%, we will be fine versus stiffer comp.

And what are the odds of that? Before the last two games Schröder was shooting 31.3 % on catch and shoot 3s. The last two games - going 4/4 - have pushed him to his current %. And with Grant is still very unlikely that he continues his current shooting with the starters. Both of them could easily go back to being slightly above or below 30 %. History is not on their side.

schroeder always has been a streaky 3 point shooter. he came from germany shooting 51% from 3 in his short stint playing pro. in atl he had months where he shot well over 40%.

thing is, he has consistently been a beast come playoff time. something okc should look forward to. if he can get his streak going then...
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#802 » by getrichordie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 pm

nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
getrichordie wrote:I think they should definitely be out there to close games.

getrichordie wrote:They need to get a feel for each other sooner rather than later. You need to be able to have your best 5 players on the court at any given time.

The 2 and 4 should be up for grabs based on the matchup. Neither of the players available is good enough to get any sort of guarantee.

getrichordie wrote:I think as long as Schroder can hit 3s on the catch at 36% and Grant can hit his at 36%, we will be fine versus stiffer comp.

And what are the odds of that? Before the last two games Schröder was shooting 31.3 % on catch and shoot 3s. The last two games - going 4/4 - have pushed him to his current %. And with Grant is still very unlikely that he continues his current shooting with the starters. Both of them could easily go back to being slightly above or below 30 %. History is not on their side.

schroeder always has been a streaky 3 point shooter. he came from germany shooting 51% from 3 in his short stint playing pro. in atl he had months where he shot well over 40%.

thing is, he has consistently been a beast come playoff time. something okc should look forward to. if he can get his streak going then...

His playoff performance is the reason Presti was sold on taking on that $15m contract. Schroder is special. He’s one of the few point guards in the league that can pretty much get to any spot on the floor he wants without using a screen. He’s also a very intelligent ball player. He takes smart shots. Something I hope Russell learns. An underrated part of his game is his tear drop shot. That **** is on point and is virtually unguardable when he’s in an Adams pick and roll. It’s beautiful watching Schroder run this offense. My biggest hope is that Russ defers to Schroder quite a bit when Schroder is on the floor. Not say that I don’t want Russ taking shots, but I think it is more beneficial for Russ to let Schroder get him open/or get him a mismatch. Both guys are quick enough to get defenders in picks off balance and make plays.

That $15.5M is going to look awesome come playoff time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#803 » by slick_watts » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 pm

getrichordie wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

His playoff performance is the reason Presti was sold on taking on that $15m contract. Schroder is special. He’s one of the few point guards in the league that can pretty much get to any spot on the floor he wants without using a screen. He’s also a very intelligent ball player. He takes smart shots. Something I hope Russell learns. An underrated part of his game is his tear drop shot. That **** is on point and is virtually unguardable when he’s in an Adams pick and roll. It’s beautiful watching Schroder run this offense. My biggest hope is that Russ defers to Schroder quite a bit when Schroder is on the floor. Not say that I don’t want Russ taking shots, but I think it is more beneficial for Russ to let Schroder get him open/or get him a mismatch. Both guys are quick enough to get defenders in picks off balance and make plays.

my god.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#804 » by spearsy23 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 pm

slick_watts wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:schroeder always has been a streaky 3 point shooter. he came from germany shooting 51% from 3 in his short stint playing pro. in atl he had months where he shot well over 40%.

my god.

It's a parody account.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
TheKiwi
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#805 » by TheKiwi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:51 pm

getrichordie wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

I think this post just ruined what was a pretty good troll up until this point.

I mean prior to this I still had questions as to idiot vs masterful troll. I think we all know the answer now. Maybe I was just slow on the uptake but lol. Nice one.
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#806 » by Eskobar13 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Everytime I come here I laugh like it's the comedy sub instead of the Thunder sub. Please do keep feeding this troll.
nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#807 » by nbaguy1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:11 pm

TheKiwi wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:schroeder always has been a streaky 3 point shooter. he came from germany shooting 51% from 3 in his short stint playing pro. in atl he had months where he shot well over 40%.

I think this post just ruined what was a pretty good troll up until this point.

I mean prior to this I still had questions as to idiot vs masterful troll. I think we all know the answer now. Maybe I was just slow on the uptake but lol. Nice one.

last two playoffs by schroeder:

2015–16 games: 10, mpg: 19.1 .452 .343 .846 rpg: 1.9 astpg: 3.6 spg: o.4 topg: 2.1 ppg:11.7

2016–17 games: 6, mpg: 35.2 .455 .425 .838 rpg: 2.3 astpg: 7.7 spg: 1.2 topg: 1.7 ppg:24.7

in really big games, where schroeder had a history with both isia thomas and john wall, but stepped up and got the better of them in front of especially a hostile boston crowd. he also whas the best player in some of those 60 win atl games against lebron cleveland.

i mean, you see him play now. its not suprising at all that he performs like this. and i see he is holding back on score first and he plays harder on defense. he got prime jeff teague out of the rotation because he went all out also on d, fighting over screens, picking up guys full-court. etc but he could do that because he shared minutes with another great pg. he can do that with wb again. so yeah, current okc elite d also has allot to do with schroeder. trust me. look at schroeder more during the game on d.

his d rep is pure bugmen bs.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#808 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Something I saw while reading this piece: Some stats point towards a stylistic style in our offensive approach.

Last season, 30.2 % of our shots were pull-ups (4th highest Freq% in the league) and the team averaged 25.4 pull-ups per 100 possessions. This season, just 23.5 % of our shots are pull-ups (21st highest Freq% in the league) and the team is averaging 20.5 pull-ups per 100 possessions.

And then there's also this: Regarding shots after 0 dribbles, they went from 46.9 Freq% (15th highest) to 48.2 Freq% (6th highest).

Now of course Russ has missed some time which might change this in the future, but at the same time it's not like Schröder and Felton stay away from pull-ups. :-?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#809 » by nbaguy1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Something I saw while reading this piece: Some stats point towards a stylistic style in our offensive approach.

Last season, 30.2 % of our shots were pull-ups (4th highest Freq% in the league) and the team averaged 25.4 pull-ups per 100 possessions. This season, just 23.5 % of our shots are pull-ups (21st highest Freq% in the league) and the team is averaging 20.5 pull-ups per 100 possessions.

And then there's also this: Regarding shots after 0 dribbles, they went from 46.9 Freq% (15th highest) to 48.2 Freq% (6th highest).

Now of course Russ has missed some time which might change this in the future, but at the same time it's not like Schröder and Felton stay away from pull-ups. :-?

again context matters when you got to keep defenses honest on your schroeder/wb drives and have guys like adams in position to get the rebound. look at the schroeder pull-ups next game and see how many are really bad shots and with no adams around. last game alone adams got 3 putbacks from schroeder misses.

always this nitpicking negativity. look at numbers all day but not understanding the game in front of you
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#810 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 pm

nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Something I saw while reading this piece: Some stats point towards a stylistic style in our offensive approach.

again context matters when you got to keep defenses honest on your schroeder/wb drives and have guys like adams in position to get the rebound. look at the schroeder pull-ups next game and see how many are really bad shots and with no adams around. last game alone adams got 3 putbacks from schroeder misses.

always this nitpicking negativity. look at numbers all day but not understanding the game in front of you

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#811 » by Thunder Up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

I miss your Dre avatar
nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#812 » by nbaguy1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:

autism
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#813 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:06 pm

nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:again context matters when you got to keep defenses honest on your schroeder/wb drives and have guys like adams in position to get the rebound. look at the schroeder pull-ups next game and see how many are really bad shots and with no adams around. last game alone adams got 3 putbacks from schroeder misses.

autism

nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#814 » by nbaguy1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

autism

nbaguy1
Freshman

Post#815 » by nbaguy1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 pm

nbaguy1 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
nbaguy1 wrote:autism

now you got something real for that snark
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#816 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:45 pm

I liked the Melo stans better.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#817 » by Old Man Game » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Operation: Thunder is Fun will definitely be put to the test this next week. Here's hoping it can persevere, chums.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#818 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 pm

This board has more interest when the team sucks.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#819 » by Pillendreher » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Knrstz wrote:This board has more interest when the team sucks.

I can give you a couple of nuggets if you're thirsty for Thunder talk:

-Per pbpstats.com, the Thunder are now up to 25th in ORtG after made baskets at 103.0. They were at 98 a week ago iirc.
-Also per pbpstats.com, they are currently 23rd in ORtG after missed fga at 106.8. A week ago they were at 112 iirc.
-Overall they're currently 11th at 108.2 ORtG. A full two points back from the Top 10 and with a 1.7 points cushion on the bottom 10. Given that Russ has missed like half the games so far, I'll take that any day of the week, honestly.
-George is leading the league catch and shoot 3PA per game, but he's just made 33 % of those shots so far. Pre ASB last year (before he lost his shooting touch) he was making 43 % of those shots. I really hope the last two games have given him something to build on shooting wise.
-I went through all 30 teams' scoring margins. There are currently 3 teams who have lead by 20 or more points for at least 10 % of their games so far. #1 is the Bucks at 15 %. #3 is the Warriors at 11 %. And #2 is the Thhunder at 12 %. I know the schedule hasn't been that hard, but I think that's still a noteworthy accomplishment, especially since their starting backcourt has missed 3/4 of the games so far.
-Steven Adams is currently among the best in the league in On/Off NetRtG at +22. He's been good. And with not so much space due to the lack of shooters.
-Among 4 man lineups with at least 160 minutes played, the Ferguson-George-Grant-Adams starters are #1 in NetRtG, #1 in ORtG and #6 in DRtG (out a total 63 lineups). Again: Schedule hasn't been that difficult, but this is still very impressive imo, especially with both Russ and Roberson missing games.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#820 » by spearsy23 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:14 pm

Knrstz wrote:This board has more interest when the team sucks.

Not really much to talk about while beating up on bad teams. They're playing well, it's nice, we'll see who they really are once Russ is back and we get a harder schedule.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder