Around the NBA: 2018—19

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, ThunderBolt

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,965
And1: 3,290
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#561 » by slick_watts » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 pm

torn achilles at this stage of kd's career is horrible. it will rob him of potential career leader boards he could have climbed and will most likely end it prematurely. everyone hopes for a nique result out of these but there's only been one nique in nba history with this injury and caliber of player.

i'd bet he felt he had to play, down 3-1, regardless of his discomfort. all the complaints of kd not being tough or a leader are officially moot. risked his career to help his team win.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,965
And1: 3,290
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#562 » by slick_watts » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:We tried to be Toronto, but Dennis Schroeder, jerami grant, and t Ferg aren't ibaka, gasol, and vanvleet.

And of course Russ having a large decline makes it impossible to correct for the quality of role players.


Toronto realized they couldn't win with Derozen so they packaged him for a better player that fit and they could win with. OKC's DeRozen is still on the roster, Russ. I do not recall Presti ever trying to move Russ for someone like Chris Paul, Lillard, Anthony Davis or anyone else that might have been able to win a championship next to kd.

OKC got rid of Ibaka and if Grant ever gets that good it is going to happen after Russ has declined too much to matter. Ferguson is a 20 year old kid and you are seriously comparing him to Marc Gasol who is a former all-star? Schroder to VanVleet is fine for a comparison, but Toronto signed him when he went undrafted they didn't give up multiple picks, shooters, etc to acquire him and Schroder is not now and will never be the shooter or defender that VanVleet is.

Okc realized they couldn't win with Vic and got pg. They absolutely could've won with Russ and pretending differently is reductive.


could have won what?
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 11,809
And1: 9,038
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
 

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#563 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Also this proves what I’ve said all along. Although the thunder medical staff is incompetent, they aren’t unique. It’s an issue that has now manifest itself with two of the nba’s premier franchises, SAS and GS. Durant should have never been out there to begin with.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254152/Kevin-Durant-Had-Discomfort-Pushing-Off-Right-Foot-Throughout-Rehab
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 9,674
And1: 6,220
Joined: Jun 23, 2015
Contact:
   

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#564 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 pm

slick_watts wrote:torn achilles at this stage of kd's career is horrible. it will rob him of potential career leader boards he could have climbed and will most likely end it prematurely. everyone hopes for a nique result out of these but there's only been one nique in nba history with this injury and caliber of player.

i'd bet he felt he had to play, down 3-1, regardless of his discomfort. all the complaints of kd not being tough or a leader are officially moot. risked his career to help his team win.


Yeah, it's a horrible injury. I'm pretty broken up about it—this is a huge loss for the league, whatever opinion anyone has of the GSW move. It may not be a full tear—I was talking to my dad about it last night and he said when he tore his he had nowhere near the same amount of movement that KD had still, but it's really hard to say.

Leadership is neither here nor there but people are stupid with their athlete toughness takes. It's on the team to keep guys from playing when they're at risk of doing further damage to themselves, because most pro players are basically the Black Knight from Monty Python.
Image
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,609
And1: 7,127
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#565 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:13 pm

slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Toronto realized they couldn't win with Derozen so they packaged him for a better player that fit and they could win with. OKC's DeRozen is still on the roster, Russ. I do not recall Presti ever trying to move Russ for someone like Chris Paul, Lillard, Anthony Davis or anyone else that might have been able to win a championship next to kd.

OKC got rid of Ibaka and if Grant ever gets that good it is going to happen after Russ has declined too much to matter. Ferguson is a 20 year old kid and you are seriously comparing him to Marc Gasol who is a former all-star? Schroder to VanVleet is fine for a comparison, but Toronto signed him when he went undrafted they didn't give up multiple picks, shooters, etc to acquire him and Schroder is not now and will never be the shooter or defender that VanVleet is.

Okc realized they couldn't win with Vic and got pg. They absolutely could've won with Russ and pretending differently is reductive.


could have won what?

A giant stuffed teddy.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,119
And1: 3,467
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#566 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:26 am

What a weird way to end a season. Felt like Toronto just finally wore them down. Almost literally let the bodies pile up until the Warriors just didn't have enough left to protect their left flank and finally encircled and overtook them.

Will be really interested to hear what happened to Klay. He's probably my favorite Warrior overall to watch.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 771
And1: 370
Joined: May 13, 2011
 

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#567 » by kdthunderup » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 am

Old Man Game wrote:What a weird way to end a season. Felt like Toronto just finally wore them down. Almost literally let the bodies pile up until the Warriors just didn't have enough left to protect their left flank and finally encircled and overtook them.

Will be really interested to hear what happened to Klay. He's probably my favorite Warrior overall to watch.

If Klay has done his ACL next season will be very interesting. The Western Conference will be wide open. I know people here don't believe at team with Westbrook leading can win a championship and want to blow things up but I think next season will be the year we need to be most aggressive if we want to be in with a realistic shot.
User avatar
Pillendreher
RealGM
Posts: 13,982
And1: 9,672
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#568 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 am

Image
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,609
And1: 7,127
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#569 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 am

Hope Klay's is minor, dude is different in all the right ways and one of my favorite players on the down low. Makes no sense how close this series was vs the narratives being thrown out about how little depth golden State had.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 771
And1: 370
Joined: May 13, 2011
 

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#570 » by kdthunderup » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 am

spearsy23 wrote:Hope Klay's is minor, dude is different in all the right ways and one of my favorite players on the down low. Makes no sense how close this series was vs the narratives being thrown out about how little depth golden State had.

Golden State are just a well oiled machine regardless of who in on the floor. They move the ball well and defend at a high level.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,119
And1: 3,467
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#571 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am

spearsy23 wrote:Hope Klay's is minor, dude is different in all the right ways and one of my favorite players on the down low. Makes no sense how close this series was vs the narratives being thrown out about how little depth golden State had.


Waking up this a.m. seeing he tore his damn ACL. F me. I really thought he'd just tweaked something. Sad.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,965
And1: 3,290
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#572 » by slick_watts » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm

toronto doesn't have a single player on their roster drafted in the lottery. you'd expect every team to have about five, there are more than 150 players in the league this year drafted in the lottery. very odd. seems even stranger for a title team.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 11,809
And1: 9,038
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
 

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#573 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:10 pm

If New Orleans plays their cards right, this trade could make both New Orleans and LAL better than okc next year. :noway:
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,119
And1: 3,467
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#574 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 pm

slick_watts wrote:torn achilles at this stage of kd's career is horrible. it will rob him of potential career leader boards he could have climbed and will most likely end it prematurely. everyone hopes for a nique result out of these but there's only been one nique in nba history with this injury and caliber of player.

i'd bet he felt he had to play, down 3-1, regardless of his discomfort. all the complaints of kd not being tough or a leader are officially moot. risked his career to help his team win.


Can also view it as yet more evidence of how online brain has corrupted the guy's thinking (this is the same go who went to trouble of creating burner accounts to respond to random trolls). He was essentially shamed into playing by the broader internet and media culture. He rolled the dice to prove the haters wrong and crapped out.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,119
And1: 3,467
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#575 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Speaking of Durant, it is bizarre to me that even now the rumors of some Durant Kyrie partnership persist. Kyrie has to be one of the **** teammates among all star level players in the NBA. All I can say is Durant must really REALLY hate Draymond if playing with Kyrie looks preferable.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-free-agency-reports
User avatar
Pillendreher
RealGM
Posts: 13,982
And1: 9,672
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#576 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Speaking of Durant, it is bizarre to me that even now the rumors of some Durant Kyrie partnership persist. Kyrie has to be one of the **** teammates among all star level players in the NBA. All I can say is Durant must really REALLY hate Draymond if playing with Kyrie looks preferable.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-free-agency-reports


Kevin Durant is a taller version of Kyrie Irving is one of my takes.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
Posts: 839
And1: 316
Joined: Jul 03, 2017
Location: Earth

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#577 » by Atomic Punk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:09 am

slick_watts wrote:torn achilles at this stage of kd's career is horrible. it will rob him of potential career leader boards he could have climbed and will most likely end it prematurely. everyone hopes for a nique result out of these but there's only been one nique in nba history with this injury and caliber of player.

i'd bet he felt he had to play, down 3-1, regardless of his discomfort. all the complaints of kd not being tough or a leader are officially moot. risked his career to help his team win.


No, the complaints about him being tough or a leader are not officially moot. This was all about HIM, about his narrative, about being the hero and elevating HIS brand. The Warriors new damn well he shouldn’t have played and yet they let him play because they didn’t want to piss him off. KD is an A-Hole and a complete narcissist. Still, some fool GM will max him out and pay for it down the road. He will never be the same player.....ever.
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
Posts: 839
And1: 316
Joined: Jul 03, 2017
Location: Earth

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#578 » by Atomic Punk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am

slick_watts wrote:toronto doesn't have a single player on their roster drafted in the lottery. you'd expect every team to have about five, there are more than 150 players in the league this year drafted in the lottery. very odd. seems even stranger for a title team.



What is your point? Championship teams have to be stacked with lottery picks?
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,609
And1: 7,127
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#579 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 am

Atomic Punk wrote:
slick_watts wrote:toronto doesn't have a single player on their roster drafted in the lottery. you'd expect every team to have about five, there are more than 150 players in the league this year drafted in the lottery. very odd. seems even stranger for a title team.



What is your point? Championship teams have to be stacked with lottery picks?

I think his point was that it's very odd that Toronto had no lottery players on their roster. And even stranger since they won a title. I'm really good at reading between the lines though.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,965
And1: 3,290
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#580 » by slick_watts » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Atomic Punk wrote:
slick_watts wrote:toronto doesn't have a single player on their roster drafted in the lottery. you'd expect every team to have about five, there are more than 150 players in the league this year drafted in the lottery. very odd. seems even stranger for a title team.


What is your point? Championship teams have to be stacked with lottery picks?


does everything need to have a point? it's an interesting piece of trivia, and from what i can tell it is rare for any team. i'm not sure if it means anything, but i think it might.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder