Lead Assistant
And1: 6,240

Re: 2019 NBA Draft thread 

Post#201 » by Funcrusher » Fri May 31, 2019 12:26 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
Funcrusher wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
I don't know anything about him but he's one of the prospects people have been talking up that could be in our range.

I'm not a college ball guy and DX went the way of the dodo so there's less easy-to-find draft stuff out there.

Well i'm pretty high on him and honestly who i'm hoping the Thunder snag. His physical profile is probably the thing that stands out the most about him. 6'4, 6'2.5 without shoes with a 7'1 wingspan. 235 lbs, a big bruiser for an off guard/wing, and uses every bit of his size and length functionally on drives. As far as skill level, he's got great handles, he's a great finisher (probably the best non Zion finisher in the country), and has pretty advanced wiggle/shotmaking ability off the dribble at this stage (can generate Harden-esque space on stepbacks).

As an athlete he's pretty meh, not a lot of vertical pop, not amazing first step or burst off the dribble (though I wouldn't say it's non-existent, his first step is above average just not elite), not a quick twitch athlete, his best athletic trait is probably his body control and agility on drives (low center of gravity + length/size make him a really effective slasher). There's potential for athletic improvement if he slims down a bit, he's extremely young as a prospect and his body isn't really developed at this point, he's still got a lot of baby fat on him that he can shred if he makes a commitment to getting in shape.

The jumper is a little shaky, his free throw/3pt percentages are bad, and his midrange numbers in particular are abysmal, though the shooting can in large part be contributed to really bad shot selection (I think in general his catch and shoot numbers were much better than his off the dribble stuff). The shot selection is concerning, but not damning considering his age and the fact that there wasn't much of a system at Iowa State to reign him in, lot of chuckers on that team that pretty much did whatever they wanted. Overall I'm pretty high on him offensively as a secondary ballhandler/initiator type.

Defensively there are more question marks. In theory with his length and frame you would envision him as a switch guy and POA defender, but right now he's not the most fleet of foot moving laterally (and not really a guy that can switch onto bigger players in the post yet). A big problem for him on both ends is that he plays flat footed, which is another reason why you want him to lose weight. And at this point he's just very raw and undisciplined defensively, which is somewhat excusable considering his age (he won't be 19 until this November). I'm optimistic he can become at least an average defender, but he's probably not going to provide high level value on that end given athletic limitations and lack of high level instincts/anticipation.

Overall he's a project, and, at this point, Thunder fans may not want to draft that type of archetype again, but he IMO has the highest upside of anyone in our range. To me his comp is a longer, bulkier but less athletic D-Mitchell.

Your assessment is a little different than what TI had yesterday. They said his handles suck. I don’t watch enough college basketball to know.
https://thunderousintentions.com/2019/05/28/talen-horton-tucker-prospect-okc-thunder/

that article is legit nonsense.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,222

Post#202 » by ThunderBolt » Fri May 31, 2019 1:18 am

Funcrusher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
Funcrusher wrote:Well i'm pretty high on him and honestly who i'm hoping the Thunder snag. His physical profile is probably the thing that stands out the most about him. 6'4, 6'2.5 without shoes with a 7'1 wingspan. 235 lbs, a big bruiser for an off guard/wing, and uses every bit of his size and length functionally on drives. As far as skill level, he's got great handles, he's a great finisher (probably the best non Zion finisher in the country), and has pretty advanced wiggle/shotmaking ability off the dribble at this stage (can generate Harden-esque space on stepbacks).

As an athlete he's pretty meh, not a lot of vertical pop, not amazing first step or burst off the dribble (though I wouldn't say it's non-existent, his first step is above average just not elite), not a quick twitch athlete, his best athletic trait is probably his body control and agility on drives (low center of gravity + length/size make him a really effective slasher). There's potential for athletic improvement if he slims down a bit, he's extremely young as a prospect and his body isn't really developed at this point, he's still got a lot of baby fat on him that he can shred if he makes a commitment to getting in shape.

The jumper is a little shaky, his free throw/3pt percentages are bad, and his midrange numbers in particular are abysmal, though the shooting can in large part be contributed to really bad shot selection (I think in general his catch and shoot numbers were much better than his off the dribble stuff). The shot selection is concerning, but not damning considering his age and the fact that there wasn't much of a system at Iowa State to reign him in, lot of chuckers on that team that pretty much did whatever they wanted. Overall I'm pretty high on him offensively as a secondary ballhandler/initiator type.

Defensively there are more question marks. In theory with his length and frame you would envision him as a switch guy and POA defender, but right now he's not the most fleet of foot moving laterally (and not really a guy that can switch onto bigger players in the post yet). A big problem for him on both ends is that he plays flat footed, which is another reason why you want him to lose weight. And at this point he's just very raw and undisciplined defensively, which is somewhat excusable considering his age (he won't be 19 until this November). I'm optimistic he can become at least an average defender, but he's probably not going to provide high level value on that end given athletic limitations and lack of high level instincts/anticipation.

Overall he's a project, and, at this point, Thunder fans may not want to draft that type of archetype again, but he IMO has the highest upside of anyone in our range. To me his comp is a longer, bulkier but less athletic D-Mitchell.

Your assessment is a little different than what TI had yesterday. They said his handles suck. I don’t watch enough college basketball to know.
https://thunderousintentions.com/2019/05/28/talen-horton-tucker-prospect-okc-thunder/

That doesn’t surprise me. TI has some really amateur writers.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#203 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri May 31, 2019 6:02 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:

That doesn’t surprise me. TI has some really amateur writers.

Yeah, as much as I love Tamberlyn, she's had some issues getting and retaining good people.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,222

Post#204 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 1, 2019 11:09 am

The more I read, I wouldn’t be disappointed if we took Thybulle. He’s not my first pick but most of the guys I like seem to be just a hair out of our range.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#205 » by Pillendreher » Sat Jun 1, 2019 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

3P% this season per sports-reference:

Horton-Tucker: 30.8
Gafford: 0.0
McDaniels: 32.0
Poole: 36.9
Vick: 45.5
Brantley: 32.8
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#206 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jun 2, 2019 2:44 am

No one actually thought OKC would seriously consider someone that could shoot, did they?
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#207 » by jambalaya » Mon Jun 3, 2019 1:01 am

Samanic 55 at The Stepien. I have only looked at hm briefly. I'd take him before 55. For Thunder, it would mean buying a 2nd to do so.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#208 » by retrobro90 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 1:52 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

3P% this season per sports-reference:

Horton-Tucker: 30.8
Gafford: 0.0
McDaniels: 32.0
Poole: 36.9
Vick: 45.5
Brantley: 32.8

Would be pretty hype for Gafford honestly. He doesn't have the ceiling of someone with all star potential but he's a relentless competitor. Could end up being a Harrell type with his crazy motor and strength.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#209 » by jambalaya » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:16 am

There is a strong case that the Thunder will take Herro. Based in part on who is likely to be gone already. Kentucky. Shooter. Other factors.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#210 » by jambalaya » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:29 am

Jalen McDaniels is intriguing.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#211 » by jambalaya » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:48 am

kdthunderup wrote:There is one guy in this draft that I'm very high on who we could get in the 2nd round if we trade for a pick and that is Luka Samanic. He performed extremely well at the Draft Combine and has a well rounded game that significantly help this teams offence. He can shoot, post up and attack off the dribble.

;t=372s

I wouldn't even be disappointed if we stretched for him with the #21 pick.

I liked him more the last time I looked at him.

He might be a decent third string SF.

I wouldn't take him at as a PF. Maybe he becomes that in mid 20s but that would take a lot of physical development.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#212 » by jambalaya » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:01 am

Jalen McDaniels may get drafted late or real late for several reasons. Character concerns, but unless you know the full story on everybody it is hard to judge that from the outside.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#213 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:09 pm

Are there any bigs or Point Guards ya'all like? Or are we all shooting wing or bust?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#214 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Jun 6, 2019 2:03 am

Balkman32 wrote:Are there any bigs or Point Guards ya'all like? Or are we all shooting wing or bust?

If they keep #21 I want a big. Bitazde or Kabengale. Although they are considered to be moving up and out of OKCs range after the combine. Kevin Porter, who I liked headed in the draft process is slipping. I like his upside and if OKC can land him at #21 he is well worth the risk. Porter is looking more like a boom or bust candidate, but his boom would be all-star level and a bust at #21 is irrelevant. Porter is a combo guard that could be a creator off the bench.

If somehow Bitazade and Porter are there at 21 I find out what Boston wants for #22 and try to make a deal to get both. If Boston hasn't moved their picks before draft night a future lottery protected first probably gets #22 as they don't need to add 3 rookies.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#215 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#216 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#217 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#218 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:18 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

See Presti does like shooters.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#219 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:49 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That's how you know that this Twitter guy is talking out of his ass. He had a nice run, but that tweet gave it away.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#220 » by Dn4sty » Sat Jun 8, 2019 1:37 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That's how you know that this Twitter guy is talking out of his ass. He had a nice run, but that tweet gave it away.

Maybe Presti has him confused with another wing. That has to be it

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder