2019 NBA Draft thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Re: 2019 NBA Draft thread 

Post#221 » by jambalaya » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:12 pm

Horton-Tucker probably wants to be like Harden. Or Barkley. He is probably more like a poor man's DeRozan.

He would make little sense on a win now with current design Thunder. Maybe if he replaced Ferguson or played backup SF but I don't see better than meh results in year 1. More likely less.

Other sources say his defense sucks.

Could he play PF? I would think about that.

I dunno if he'll develop and make sense in NBA long-term (would need to get a better feel for him as a person) but he probably makes more sense as a basement team flyer than a rotation add to a good team.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#222 » by jambalaya » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:38 am

I doubt the Thunder would actually try and succeed in getting into top 5 of draft.

Could they get up enough to get Doumbouya? That might be worth the risk. I dunno how high you will have to go to do that. I doubt I'd try that hard to trade up for anybody else. Maybe Coby White.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211

Post#223 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:45 am

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Post#224 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm

jambalaya wrote:Could they get up enough to get Doumbouya? That might be worth the risk. I dunno how high you will have to go to do that. I doubt I'd try that hard to trade up for anybody else. Maybe Coby White.

No. Doumbouya goes in the top 8 and OKC isn't getting into the top 10 unless they are trading PG.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#225 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 pm

“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#226 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 pm

The #23 pick in the draft Darius Bazley. Here is a nice little read on the newest member of the Thunder.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/19/inside-darius-bazleys-year-off-that-turned-him-into-nba-draft-mystery/
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#227 » by hardenASG13 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Loving the bazely pick the more I watch him. He’d almost definitely have been a lotto pick if he played in college. He’s a big time finisher in transition, has moves off the dribble and looks like he could guard wings and stretch 4s. Should almost immediately pass Roberson and Patterson in the rotation, looks ready for 15 min a night out of the gate to me.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#228 » by slick_watts » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Loving the bazely pick the more I watch him. He’d almost definitely have been a lotto pick if he played in college. He’s a big time finisher in transition, has moves off the dribble and looks like he could guard wings and stretch 4s. Should almost immediately pass Roberson and Patterson in the rotation, looks ready for 15 min a night out of the gate to me.

the 19 year old who hasn't played competitively in a year is ready for 15 minutes per game in the nba huh. maybe westbrook should go intern at FILA for a season and come back-- he'd win another mvp.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#229 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 am

slick_watts wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Loving the bazely pick the more I watch him. He’d almost definitely have been a lotto pick if he played in college. He’s a big time finisher in transition, has moves off the dribble and looks like he could guard wings and stretch 4s. Should almost immediately pass Roberson and Patterson in the rotation, looks ready for 15 min a night out of the gate to me.

the 19 year old who hasn't played competitively in a year is ready for 15 minutes per game in the nba huh. maybe westbrook should go intern at FILA for a season and come back-- he'd win another mvp.

To be fair, assuming we don't make any upgrades (and Roberson doesn't make a miraculous recovery), all he has to do is be better than Nader, which is possible.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#230 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 pm

slick_watts wrote:

Yea, no 19 year olds have come in ready to play 15 mpg in the last few years.....oh wait, a bunch have!
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Where are you finding video of Bazley? There's virtually nothing available excepts a few videos on twitter and you tube that look like they were filmed with a flip phone.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
acheema0
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#232 » by acheema0 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:05 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Where are you finding video of Bazley? There's virtually nothing available excepts a few videos on twitter and you tube that look like they were filmed with a flip phone.

Maybe he watched the same 39 second video clip 100 times.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#233 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Yea there isn’t a ton outside of draft combine workouts and the McDonald’s all American game. I think he has the size and athleticism that will translate well to the nba. By all accounts he has worked on his weaknesses, shooting, and ball handling, to complement his elite finishing ability and defensive versatility. He was a can’t miss guy coming out of high school, just decided not to let the ncaa exploit him and just worked on refining his game for a year. Looks competent to me to step onto an nba floor, especially compared to some of the scrubs okc rolls out year after year.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#234 » by slick_watts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:34 pm

i've never seen gentler ways of describing a young player taking a year off from basketball. it's interesting how in some contexts the eye test gurus will claim that playing time is most important to a young player's development. yet here we are, extolling the virtues of not engaging in competitive basketball for an entire year and calling it a sound strategy.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Post#235 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 am

It is interesting. I guess since playing time doesn't matter then the development issues of PJ3, Lamb and other former Thunder players that failed to develop had nothing to do with a lack of playing time.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#236 » by jambalaya » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Bazely strategy increased chance he'd go in late first and therefore more likely to a good team. But they might have been hoping for a different team.

The Bazely strategy is a lot about Rich Paul and New Balance. They both can benefit big from this strategy. Bazely was their first test, but whether he works out big, they are likely to do it again and again.

For Bazely, he avoided injury risk and possible negative talk from playing against stronger opponents that he might not have been ready for.

Right or wrong, Presti is quite impressed by high school recruiting rank and arrangements that make him look like a different thinker, a sharp.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#237 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:32 am

Bazley took a year off from organized basketball, and showed up to the combine at 3.6% bodyfat (2nd lowest measured), 6th OVERALL in shuttle run. And among PF's/C's (incl Grant Williams): 3rd in lane agility, 4th in three quarter sprint, 4th standing vertical, 2nd max vetical.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Is 3.6% body fat even healthy?

I don't have high expectations for Bazley but the more I've read, the more I understand the pick. Both he and Dort are players that have high ceilings if they develop.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#239 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:05 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Is 3.6% body fat even healthy?

I don't have high expectations for Bazley but the more I've read, the more I understand the pick. Both he and Dort are players that have high ceilings if they develop.

No, and I dont think they measure correctly.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#240 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm

jambalaya wrote:Bazely strategy increased chance he'd go in late first and therefore more likely to a good team. But they might have been hoping for a different team.

The Bazely strategy is a lot about Rich Paul and New Balance. They both can benefit big from this strategy. Bazely was their first test, but whether he works out big, they are likely to do it again and again.

For Bazely, he avoided injury risk and possible negative talk from playing against stronger opponents that he might not have been ready for.

Right or wrong, Presti is quite impressed by high school recruiting rank and arrangements that make him look like a different thinker, a sharp.

There are enough Rich Paul clients on the Thunder that I think there may be some sort of relationship there.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder