Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Player(s) of the Game

Paul George | 20 PTS (7-21 FG, 3-11 3P), 11 REB, 6 AST, 6 STL
5%
Jerami Grant | 11 PTS (3-5 FG), 6 REB
No votes
Steven Adams | 19 PTS (7-12 FG), 10 REB, 4 AST
58%
Terrance Ferguson | 14 PTS (5-10 FG, 4-9 3P)
32%
Dennis Schroder | 14 PTS (6-11 FG), 6 REB, 5 AST
No votes
Other (specify below)
5%

Total votes: 19

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Re: 11/8 | G11: Houston Rockets at Oklahoma City Thunder - 7PM CST 

Post#121 » by Old Man Game » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:08 pm

spearsy23 wrote:It's a nice win for us and all, but something is REALLY wrong with Houston.

I was almost sort of sad watching that for Chris Paul. He was OKC's first hometown superstar even if he was just on loan from another city, so I'll always have somewhat of a soft spot for him.

Question, is Paul washed? There were times he looked like he couldn't dribble penetrate against Felton and several other of our players that he'd have gotten to the rim against in past years.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#122 » by slick_watts » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:14 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Question, is Paul washed? There were times he looked like he couldn't dribble penetrate against Felton and several other of our players that he'd have gotten to the rim against in past years.

paul was his usual self last season so it would be an unusually sudden drop-off for a pg of his caliber without a major injury involved. to me it appears the rockets are all in a general malaise. capela looks overweight.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#123 » by Old Man Game » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:31 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Question, is Paul washed? There were times he looked like he couldn't dribble penetrate against Felton and several other of our players that he'd have gotten to the rim against in past years.

paul was his usual self last season so it would be an unusually sudden drop-off for a pg of his caliber without a major injury involved. to me it appears the rockets are all in a general malaise. capela looks overweight.

Chris Paul giving in to a general malaise in and of itself is noteworthy to me. Can't recall seeing a lot of nights of him phoning it in before.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#124 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:38 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:-I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but Ferguson appears to be much, much improved defensively since we started winning. I don't know how that suddenly happened, but please do keep it up.

I don't think its an illusion. I first noticed it a few games ago and its what got me on board the Ferg bandwagon. I think he's going to be pretty special defensively. He does a great job tracking his man when off the ball and is pretty good just avoiding screens so he doesn't have to fight through them with that wiry frame. When defending the ball handler he's really disciplined utilizing his length and the verticality rule to contest shots.

I don't know, its hard to quantify, something about him is just reminding me of watching Andre early in his career, before he'd established himself as a defender and refs still gave him some bull fouls. I think next season Ferg is going to straight blow up as a 3 and D guy.

What stood out to me on a couple of occasions was his footwork. He was moving them quite well.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#125 » by Old Man Game » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:51 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:-I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but Ferguson appears to be much, much improved defensively since we started winning. I don't know how that suddenly happened, but please do keep it up.

I don't think its an illusion. I first noticed it a few games ago and its what got me on board the Ferg bandwagon. I think he's going to be pretty special defensively. He does a great job tracking his man when off the ball and is pretty good just avoiding screens so he doesn't have to fight through them with that wiry frame. When defending the ball handler he's really disciplined utilizing his length and the verticality rule to contest shots.

I don't know, its hard to quantify, something about him is just reminding me of watching Andre early in his career, before he'd established himself as a defender and refs still gave him some bull fouls. I think next season Ferg is going to straight blow up as a 3 and D guy.

What stood out to me on a couple of occasions was his footwork. He was moving them quite well.

That too. Even isolated with Harden a couple times he did a really solid job of staying in front. Impressive stuff considering the opposition.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#126 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:57 pm

He took one shot from the corner where he was off balance and it went half way down. A really tough shot. Young talent is exciting. By the way which is worse, players only or Chris Webber?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#127 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:58 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:-This defense might be legit, which is saying both about last season and Roberson overall, I'd say. And it's not just grabbing steals; they've held opposing teams below the league average eFG% seven out of 11 times and are currently 7th overall in opp eFG%. I laughed when Royce said that the Thunder were trying to get better defensively from a systematic standpoint, but what the hell, whatever they're doing seems to be working.

i'm still not really buying the opp eFG, based on shot location and openness. but, if it is legit, you're not mentioning someone you said to me you would give some credit to.

Well, I can give you the following stats off of stats.nba.com

Restricted Area (lower is better for both stats)

-14th in opp FGA/100p
-7th in opp FG%

In The Paint (Non-RA) (lower is better for both stats)

-12th fewest opp FGA/100p
-29th in opp FG%

Mid Range (lower is better for both stats)
-21st in opp FGA/100p (ie their opponents are taking a below average amount of midrange shots)
-3rd in opp FG%

Corner 3s (lower is better for both stats)

-16th in opp FGA/100p
-5th in opp FG%

Above the break 3s (lower is better for both stats)

-5th in opp FGA/100p
-7th in opp FG%

Openness
(higher FGA for very tight and tight/lower for open and very open is good)

Very tight

-9th in opp FGA/100p
-20th in opp eFG%

Tight

-22nd in opp FGA/100p
-20th in opp eFG%

Open

-13th in opp FGA/100p
-3rd in opp eFG%

Wide Open

-3rd in opp FGA/100p
-2nd in opp eFG%
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#128 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:59 pm

Knrstz wrote:He took one shot from the corner where he was off balance and it went half way down. A really tough shot. Young talent is exciting. By the way which is worse, players only or Chris Webber?

Given that Albert doesn't seem to know what's happening most of the time (FOOT ON THE LINE when George took a midranger from the ft line), it's players only either way.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#129 » by Old Man Game » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:03 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Knrstz wrote:He took one shot from the corner where he was off balance and it went half way down. A really tough shot. Young talent is exciting. By the way which is worse, players only or Chris Webber?

Given that Albert doesn't seem to know what's happening most of the time (FOOT ON THE LINE when George took a midranger from the ft line), it's players only either way.

Marv literally said that CP3 threw the ball into the stands on that technical call when it was right in front of the ref. :crazy:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#130 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:14 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Marv literally said that CP3 threw the ball into the stands on that technical call when it was right in front of the ref. :crazy:

I think the reason Marv was on the game is they wanted someone from the same generation as Melo.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#131 » by bondom34 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:29 pm

oken wrote:
bondom34 wrote:No Westbrook so the offense should be flowing without all his dumb mistakes.

How did you know? You should bet more.

It was still bad, Houston's was just worse :lol:.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#132 » by Pillendreher » Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:08 pm

And here's our opponents' shotchart per pbpstats.com:

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#133 » by slick_watts » Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:10 pm

melo is destroying the rockets.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#134 » by getrichordie » Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:33 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

He has looked awesome defensively since game 1. It does appear that he has gotten more comfortable in his role and looks more comfortable defensively as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#135 » by getrichordie » Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:36 pm

I looked it up earlier and IIRC, the starting lineup for the past 2 games has the 2nd best NetRtg in the league for the past 2 games. We’ve played two dysfunctional teams so there is a little noise, but we are doing what we are supposed to and that’s huge.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
[twitter] @thunderdustin
sleestak33
Junior
And1: 150

Post#136 » by sleestak33 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:51 pm

Goes to show you the value of a competent performance by the starting shooting guard in an NBA game. Ferguson's 14 points and solid defense was a huge part of why they won but the problem is he's absolutely terrible over 95% of the time. I truly hope he proves me wrong but I still think he belongs in the G-League and this game was a fluke much like the Lakers game where he had over 20 points. That's one heck of a win, especially considering they didn't have Russ and it's amazing to see what everybody else does when they get more touches, especially Adams whom they made a point of getting the ball to repeatedly. They would be so much better if they ran the ball through him more. It really is pathetic that he's developed the way he has and most games they barely even use him. Great win though and things are coming together.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#137 » by NetsWorld » Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:43 pm

I said before Rockets were in trouble after this off season and their play and record is finally showing it. What I loved about last night is the Thunder were executing defensively and giving the ball where it needed to go, to Adams. He had it going, so you keep passing the ball there. Unfortunately, I do not like that PG13 is missing wide open shots or threes. 7/21 is unacceptable. He needs to find his rhythm otherwise his shooting woes will haunt us as the season goes along. But we look a lot more polished than last year and I will certainly take 7-4. When Westbrook and Roberson come back, the defense will be even stronger and offensively, we will be a juggernaut. I like the way Schroeder, a true back up, is playing. He does, however, need to pass the ball a little more. T Ferg is showing flashes and finally some confidence. If he can shoot the three consistently, he will be, alongside Abrines, a good spot up three point shooter and defender. I really like what I say but not happy or encouraged by George's inconsistent shooting.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#138 » by kdthunderup » Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:06 pm

sleestak33 wrote:Goes to show you the value of a competent performance by the starting shooting guard in an NBA game. Ferguson's 14 points and solid defense was a huge part of why they won but the problem is he's absolutely terrible over 95% of the time. I truly hope he proves me wrong but I still think he belongs in the G-League and this game was a fluke much like the Lakers game where he had over 20 points. That's one heck of a win, especially considering they didn't have Russ and it's amazing to see what everybody else does when they get more touches, especially Adams whom they made a point of getting the ball to repeatedly. They would be so much better if they ran the ball through him more. It really is pathetic that he's developed the way he has and most games they barely even use him. Great win though and things are coming together.
He has definitely looked a lot more comfortable and is improving, I don't know why you would hook him now to the G-League just as he starts to look promising.

He has been very solid defensively for a 20 year old. His offense was woeful to start the season but is now starting to get his shot and confidence back. With no cap space over the next few seasons we have to show faith in guys like Ferguson and hope they develop into consistent high level role players.
AirInTheLoop
Pro Prospect
And1: 261

Post#139 » by AirInTheLoop » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:41 am

slick_watts wrote:melo is destroying the rockets.

Pssshhh, come on, its not like we've seen this before with Mike Dantoni and Melo.

All joking aside, i still see people pretending its not Melo and i just don't know how they can do that. Yah, the Rockets lost Luc and Ariza, those were big losses, but that's not what is completely screwing up their offense and defense.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder