1/12 | G42: San Antonio Spurs at Oklahoma City Thunder - 7PM CST

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Player(s) of the Game

Jerami Grant | 12 PTS (4-7 FG, 2-4 3P), 2 BLK
No votes
Steven Adams | 12 PTS (3-5 FG), 9 REB
8%
Terrance Ferguson | 8 PTS (3-5 FG, 2-3 3P)
8%
Dennis Schroder | 19 PTS (9-17 FG), 6 AST
8%
Abdel Nader | 15 PTS (6-6 FG)
58%
Patrick Patterson | 13 PTS (5-7 FG, 3-3 3P)
17%
Other (specify below)
No votes

Total votes: 12

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,056

Re: 1/12 | G42: San Antonio Spurs at Oklahoma City Thunder - 7PM CST 

Post#81 » by slick_watts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:“Done with diallo” in what sense? He probably isn’t going to contribute much this year but neither did Ferguson last year.

not worth rotation minutes this year.

Roberson is hurt, Abrines is dragging hit butt on the carpet, Nader doesn’t play defense, schroder doesn’t fit alongside , TLC sucks...do you see the dilemma?

he's playing by necessity i mean he's the first i would remove. i think he hurts the team more than any of our current rotation guys. i'd even see about giving burton another look instead. might be a good time to with abrines still out.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#82 » by Dn4sty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:42 am

A horse that has already been beaten way past death is being beaten again.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,125

Post#83 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 am

slick_watts wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
does whether or not i'm here change what is occurring? i'm not speaking westbrook's horrific shooting and scoring efficiency into existence, it is happening.

if i talk about westbrook's troubles after a good game, i'm being a troll. if i don't, i'm "conspicuously absent". either way you're going to have a problem with it. so idc.

Serious question.

Have you ever admitted to anyone that you were wrong about something? Not just on message boards, but in your personal life, too. Have you ever actually said or typed the words "Sorry, I was wrong?"

Because on message boards, you come across as one of those mega-d***s who, never in a million years, would actually be humble enough to admit he's wrong. Or, at the very least, admit to someone who you're debating a topic with, that they have a good point and you might have to rethink your stance.

humility is a character flaw.

You have Westbrook's confidence. How ironic!
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#84 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 am

slick_watts wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
does whether or not i'm here change what is occurring? i'm not speaking westbrook's horrific shooting and scoring efficiency into existence, it is happening.

if i talk about westbrook's troubles after a good game, i'm being a troll. if i don't, i'm "conspicuously absent". either way you're going to have a problem with it. so idc.

Serious question.

Have you ever admitted to anyone that you were wrong about something? Not just on message boards, but in your personal life, too. Have you ever actually said or typed the words "Sorry, I was wrong?"

Because on message boards, you come across as one of those mega-d***s who, never in a million years, would actually be humble enough to admit he's wrong. Or, at the very least, admit to someone who you're debating a topic with, that they have a good point and you might have to rethink your stance.

Mr. President what an honor to have you in our midst. All that talk about living in Florida but being from New York now makes sense. :wink:
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by slick_watts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 am

Old Man Game wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:Serious question.

Mr. President what an honor to have you in our midst. All that talk about living in Florida but being from New York now makes sense. :wink:

typing from mar-a-lago.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#86 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:03 am

slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
not worth rotation minutes this year.

Roberson is hurt, Abrines is dragging hit butt on the carpet, Nader doesn’t play defense, schroder doesn’t fit alongside , TLC sucks...do you see the dilemma?

he's playing by necessity i mean he's the first i would remove. i think he hurts the team more than any of our current rotation guys. i'd even see about giving burton another look instead. might be a good time to with abrines still out.

We aren’t going to win a championship and I don’t suspect Presti will ever do a full rebuild. I’m all for Diallo getting minutes to speed his development. If sustainability is the name of the game I would like to at least be successful at that.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#87 » by Dn4sty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Roberson is hurt, Abrines is dragging hit butt on the carpet, Nader doesn’t play defense, schroder doesn’t fit alongside , TLC sucks...do you see the dilemma?

We aren’t going to win a championship and I don’t suspect Presti will ever do a full rebuild. I’m all for Diallo getting minutes to speed his development. If sustainability is the name of the game I would like to at least be successful at that.

Yeah I’m fine with Diallo minutes as well. If the team goes on a run between now and the deadline, or if there is an injury to a Warrior, then make a move or consider shortening Diallo minutes.
DoubleJ13
Junior
And1: 145

Post#88 » by DoubleJ13 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am

I always figured Hami would be out of the rotation once Robes got back. If Abrines ever shows back up & Noel gets cleared, I'd just give Nader the Hami minutes & run Schroder, Abrines, Nader, Patterson, & Noel as the bench. Nader at least presents the threat of a 3 & Hami is basically an energy guy at this point.

Nader maybe being a guy is not something I figured would be part of this season.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#89 » by hardenASG13 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:so is russ ever going to get better? blocked twice at the rim by white, once by bertans. 1-9 from the field. yeah, yeah, he contributes in other ways. our offense won't work without him scoring though and he's at 44% ts last 20 games so he's going in the wrong direction.

Had he not played better the last couple?

Death. Taxes. Dennis Schroder playing terrible basketball and slick_watts blaming Russ

Ouch
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#90 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 am

hardenASG13 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Had he not played better the last couple?

Death. Taxes. Dennis Schroder playing terrible basketball and slick_watts blaming Russ

Ouch

Schroder was great tonight. If we got tonight's Schroder on a consistent basis, we'd have about 5 more wins.

It doesn't erase the fact, though, that he's been beyond awful the last 15 games or so.

It's been posted on here numerous times, but the NetRtg numbers this year show that starters+Schroder is FAR worse than starters+Ferguson.

Schroder sucks. Good for him for having a great game tonight. It was fun to watch and it's always great to beat the **** out of the Spurs. But Schroder still sucks until proven otherwise.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#91 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:20 am

Finally. Their G-League-Allstars got the memo. Well, Belinelli didn't but I can live with that.

Russ was horrible most of the game imo. He was not taking good shots and he let his frustration boil over where it was clear that he was hurting the team. He found himself a little in the 4th, but still...he wasn't play any defense either.

I'm glad Schröder finally looked engaged defensively again. Too trigger-happy at times but at least he finally made some shots.

George with a meh shooting game (if he were on the Spurs, he wouldn't have missed a single shot), but also with some big, big rebounds.

Patterson is shooting 39 % from 3 over his last 10. I really hope this is him finding his shot again. We desperately need it.

Nader. Meh. He plays like a guy that is going to miss everything he throws at the rim. If he makes it: Cool. But that's a dangerous volume for him imo. He does not look like a guy that's going to stop taking these difficult shots.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#92 » by CROklahoma » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am

Once again great game by Nader.
He is a solid addition out of nowhere for our bench.
Would like to see him get few more minutes with starters tho, he can shoot it, and he can somewhat get to the rim, and he can somewhat defend average slower SF's, or those stretch PF's that only purpose is on the floor to shoot, like Ryan Anderson and those types.

Let me continue to blame Billy once again for letting starters be on the floor a minute and a half more than they should in the end, it was a blowout, why risk anything ? Guess you can etiquette me as a Billy hater, but even in wins I'm seeing terrible decisions by him.
He is not the guy that can and will get the best out of the roster.
I dont care about this win, or our 3rd place in west.

We don't have a fluid, offensive motion system he was propagated for in his Gators days. Our system is the same since the beggining of franchise. Mark your key players on the beggining of the season, and handle them 70% of half-ISO situations ...
No cuts, no off the ball movement, no guard screening guards, no big handling the passing, its just, HEY GUYS, LETS NOT WASTE RUSS AND PG PRIME BY CHANGING THE WAY LEAGUE HAS PLAYED SINCE LARRY ERA ...
People on streets of Europe play their pickups with more motions in offense than some of NBA teams do, and then people get unconcious when they see Luka outballing 90% of competition being 19yr old.
There were 4 idioti FOs missing on a guy who is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
The NBA is sometimes really driving me nuts.

The bench was on a tear around 8:00 minute mark, and Billy broke the rotation with Russ and Adams in. Bench obliterated Spurs, and why break the momentum of guys who as a unit were on a slump for last 2 weeks is beyond me ...

I gotta say I'm just not having fun watching us that much.
The D has dropped of significantly, and our offense is beyond terrible. Just look at what some of the teams with a lot less personel do on that end, like Utah with body movement and ball movement ...

Anyway, sorry for a rant in midst of a win, just had to vent cause this team IMO aint going anywhere further than we could maybe expect during our defensive dominance in 1st quarter of season ...
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#93 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Nader. Meh. He plays like a guy that is going to miss everything he throws at the rim. If he makes it: Cool. But that's a dangerous volume for him imo. He does not look like a guy that's going to stop taking these difficult shots.

It's frustrating to me how often he tries to drive into the defense instead of just shooting the three. He finished them last night which is great and all, but those aren't good shots by in large when he's trying to finish in traffic around the rim versus an open wing 3. And his supposed ability as a 3 point shooter is the thing people most often cite to play him and put up with his almost perpetual state of being lost on defense. In my way of thinking, if he isn't going to take and make his threes at a decent level he's going to end up being a negative out there.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#94 » by hardenASG13 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:32 pm

NaturalThunder wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Ouch

Schroder was great tonight. If we got tonight's Schroder on a consistent basis, we'd have about 5 more wins.

It doesn't erase the fact, though, that he's been beyond awful the last 15 games or so.

It's been posted on here numerous times, but the NetRtg numbers this year show that starters+Schroder is FAR worse than starters+Ferguson.

Schroder sucks. Good for him for having a great game tonight. It was fun to watch and it's always great to beat the **** out of the Spurs. But Schroder still sucks until proven otherwise.

Yep, his netrtg numbers do stink. Still, as I asked in the season long thread, I'll ask you here......what is their bench without him? How do you think itd look with Felton running with the likes of Nader, diallo, abrines, patterson, and Noel? He's the only creator they have off the bench, at really any position. He's in a very tough spot for any non all NBA pg, being asked to create everything for the second unit out of necessity (again, who else will?), while often playing out of position with the starters as he's not a SG. His %s take a beating because of it. He is miscast on this roster, sure, but he doesn't stink. He has saved this team numerous times this season and they'll need him playing at a high level to hit their peak.

What backup pgs would you want instead of him, considering the thunders lack of other playmakers? It was him or pay money to melo to not be on the team. The draft pick traded was meaningless as they have to do whatever they can to compete now before the inevitable long rebuild post Westbrook and George. Just accept him for what he is, unless they can get a better fit. Guessing they called every team to see what melo could bring in, and he was the best option.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#95 » by SecondTake » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Roberson is hurt, Abrines is dragging hit butt on the carpet, Nader doesn’t play defense, schroder doesn’t fit alongside , TLC sucks...do you see the dilemma?

We sure wont with that kind of mindset.
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#96 » by SecondTake » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Nader should be taking Abrines' minutes - Abrines is a better defender, but we have a surplus of great defenders and a major lack of offensive players. Naders has been a terror on offense. His handle is pretty good, he can shoot from everywhere it seems and is strong at the rim. He also seems a lot less shy about shooting/driving than Abrines is. His defense needs to improve, but I think it would with more minutes and practice. A lot of his issues seems to be poor rotations and being beat off the dribble due to his angles more so than speed. He could average 10-14 off the bench and help change this team's bench offense.

Also, I dont get the complaints about Schroders defense/ He got beat a few times, but overall he was a great, pesky defender all night long. He is absolutely capable of defending. And when the bench around him is making shots, it opens his game up a lot more. It's not a coincidence that when the bench unit is making shots, Schroder plays a lot better. Helps create space for him to drive and allows him guys to pass to with confidence.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by slick_watts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

SecondTake wrote:Also, I dont get the complaints about Schroders defense

lets put it this way. the difference between the starters and the starters with schroder instead of ferguson on defense is bigger than the difference between the #1 defense thunder and #29 defense knicks. schroder is a liability. a nearly kanter-sized one when paired with westbrook.
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#98 » by SecondTake » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

slick_watts wrote:

lets put it this way. the difference between the starters and the starters with schroder instead of ferguson on defense is bigger than the difference between the #1 defense thunder and #29 defense knicks. schroder is a liability. a nearly kanter-sized one when paired with westbrook.

Well yeah, when compared to Furgeson. One is an elite defender, the other a streaky one. Also Schroder was terrible on defense for a full month, bringing his impact to negative. But in November and yesterday we saw that he can play good defense when he tries. Issue is that he hasn't tried often enough. However, my comment in this thread wasn't related to his defense in general, but rather towards guys criticizing his defense in this particular game - his D this game was really good overall. Not for the season, but this game. At least he should get some credit where due, seems people don't even want to give him that when he deserves it.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#99 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:50 pm

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Post#100 » by RalphSampsonJr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 pm

SecondTake wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

Well yeah, when compared to Furgeson. One is an elite defender, the other a streaky one. Also Schroder was terrible on defense for a full month, bringing his impact to negative. But in November and yesterday we saw that he can play good defense when he tries. Issue is that he hasn't tried often enough. However, my comment in this thread wasn't related to his defense in general, but rather towards guys criticizing his defense in this particular game - his D this game was really good overall. Not for the season, but this game. At least he should get some credit where due, seems people don't even want to give him that when he deserves it.

I get both sides of the Schroder arguement.

He was really the only option to get Melo off the books and he is far better than Felton.

He is also asked to play next to Russ which i dont think hes ever played so many minutes next to such a high useage player before so hence the struggles.

And he has indeed won us some games! I can count 2 off the top of my head so there is that.

The problem i have with him is that the only reason this team is good is because of defense. He is awful at it. Watch him give up or just be in the wrong place when hit with a screen. It puts the other 4 players into recovery mode evvvvverytime.

Another problem is his complete lack of passing when running the 2nd unit. He does not run the offense nearly as well as i thought he would. He simply puts alot of shots up and his shooting %s suck as a result.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder