Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Re: Trade Ideas Thread: Deadline Edition 

Post#641 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
SecondTake wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:The only way to give Noel more than the MLE is to get OKC below the salary cap and sign Noel with actual cap space. Even if you could trade Adams for Jrue, that doesn't open up any cap space for Noel.

Might need a verbal agreement with Noel that we give him 1 year on MLE and then a bigger contract the following the year. Doubt he takes it but maybe if he likes the team.

I've been against trading Adams forever now, but it's becoming hard to ignore the way he starts tanking every year at clockwork right when you see him. If you play him less minutes then you need a third center and his salary becomes an even bigger problem. If you play him the number of minutes his salary should command then he turns to toast by all star break.

Why do we need a third center? Noel is currently averaging less than 15mpg. We don't need a third center to lessen Adams' minutes. We need Billy to understand basic load management and give another 5-7mpg to Noel.

Also, Nerlens sign the minimum this year to specifically rebuild his value. There is no reason for him to do it again. Unless something major happens then re-signing on the cheap again might be dumber than declining $17 million for Dallas.

Adams doesn't play more than most Centers in this league. If he can't play well 33 minutes/game during all year we will need a really good back up next year (as good as Noel) or to rest him during some games. We can't give minutes to bad centers against Gobert/KAT/Nurkic etc.

So basically we need a good back up PG because Westbrook is old and a good back up C because Adams can't handle playing as many minutes as other bigs :(
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#642 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
SecondTake wrote:
Might need a verbal agreement with Noel that we give him 1 year on MLE and then a bigger contract the following the year. Doubt he takes it but maybe if he likes the team.

I've been against trading Adams forever now, but it's becoming hard to ignore the way he starts tanking every year at clockwork right when you see him. If you play him less minutes then you need a third center and his salary becomes an even bigger problem. If you play him the number of minutes his salary should command then he turns to toast by all star break.

Why do we need a third center? Noel is currently averaging less than 15mpg. We don't need a third center to lessen Adams' minutes. We need Billy to understand basic load management and give another 5-7mpg to Noel.

Also, Nerlens sign the minimum this year to specifically rebuild his value. There is no reason for him to do it again. Unless something major happens then re-signing on the cheap again might be dumber than declining $17 million for Dallas.

Adams doesn't play more than most Centers in this league. If he can't play well 33 minutes/game during all year we will need a really good back up next year (as good as Noel) or to rest him during some games. We can't give minutes to bad centers against Gobert/KAT/Nurkic etc.

So basically we need a good back up PG because Westbrook is old and a good back up C because Adams can't handle playing as many minutes as other bigs :(

He's second in the league in minutes for centers. That's a pretty big work load. Also, I think slick posted something a while back showing that centers that play heavy minutes earlier in their career don't have a long career.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/avgMinutes/position/centers
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#643 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 pm

But sure Billy Donovan deserves some blame because this is happening for the 3rd straight year and we finally have a good back up C. We had a lot of games against relatively bad starting Centers and Noel could have played more. Now our schedule is tough and it could be way more difficult to rest Adams a lot.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#644 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:

He's second in the league in minutes for centers. That's a pretty big work load. Also, I think slick posted something a while back showing that centers that play heavy minutes earlier in their career don't have a long career.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/avgMinutes/position/centers

Difference between him and guys like Gobert or Lamarcus Aldridge isn't that big.

Aldridge is 33 years old playing for Pop that always want to rest their players when they aren't 100%, so there's clearly something wrong with Adams. He plays with so many intensity that maybe that's unsustainable for that many minutes/games.

Always loved and still love Adams and I believe he's underrated by many people around here. Just think he isn't able to play as many minutes at a high level as other centers in the league. Donovan deserves some critics because that's the 3rd straight year and he should know better than us.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#645 » by Pillendreher » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:03 am

Read on Twitter
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#646 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:47 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know much about him. Seems like a feisty player IIRC.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#647 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:46 pm

No Mejri please. He always trash talked against the Thunder. We don't need a big anymore anyway and he's bad.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#648 » by SecondTake » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:25 pm

They probably want Mejri to replace Noel offseason.
RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Post#649 » by RalphSampsonJr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:10 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Difference between him and guys like Gobert or Lamarcus Aldridge isn't that big.

Aldridge is 33 years old playing for Pop that always want to rest their players when they aren't 100%, so there's clearly something wrong with Adams. He plays with so many intensity that maybe that's unsustainable for that many minutes/games.

Always loved and still love Adams and I believe he's underrated by many people around here. Just think he isn't able to play as many minutes at a high level as other centers in the league. Donovan deserves some critics because that's the 3rd straight year and he should know better than us.

Adams style of play is what limits his ability to play heavy minutes for 82 games.

OKCs pace is quite high, along with the fact that he is a top guy in box outs and screen assists. mix that with the fact that he is now getting mauled every time an OKC shot goes up by at least two defenders to make sure he doesnt get the team any 2nd chance points.

its either Billy not trusting Noel or Adams acting like hes fine when hes not.
either way somethings got to give because the centers that OKC will see in the post season are pretty much all good. Gobert, Nukic, Jokic, Towns, Capela and Aldridge will all be tough
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#650 » by JustOneFix » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Well, apparently, Enes Kanter did not forget how to play the game of basketball and he's not utter trash afterall. As a matter of fact the guy's killing it off the bench in Portland.

What a suprise...
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#651 » by Pillendreher » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 pm

TheGreatSatan wrote:Well, apparently, Enes Kanter did not forget how to play the game of basketball and he's not utter trash afterall. As a matter of fact the guy's killing it off the bench in Portland.

What a suprise...

Oh, killing it, is he? He's killing it so much that they've been outscored worse than us with Nader on the floor since he joined them. Killing. It.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#652 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:30 pm

SecondTake wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Indiana is a better place for him to get a new contract for next year. We don't have enough money to give him a decent contract while the Pacers can commit with him long term if he plays well there.

Indiana won't have bird rights so their off-season offer would be capped the same either way. OKC could have offered more money this year since they still have their MLE. Indiana will have max cap space this off-season, but they will need to use a large chunk of that for a starting PG since Collison and Joseph both hit FA this off-season. Tyreke will also be a FA they might try to resign, but they don't have bird rights on him either.

He signed with Indiana strictly for playing time this year. Can't blame him for that. I also don't think Presti is offering any of the buy-out guys more than the minimum, despite being one of the few teams that could offer them more money. OKC appears to be capped out on payroll which means they likely try to trim some this off-season after their first round exit.

I doubt it. WCF is our floor, championship our ceiling. Doubt you downgrade after either.

I miss that optimism :lol:
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#653 » by SecondTake » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
SecondTake wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Indiana won't have bird rights so their off-season offer would be capped the same either way. OKC could have offered more money this year since they still have their MLE. Indiana will have max cap space this off-season, but they will need to use a large chunk of that for a starting PG since Collison and Joseph both hit FA this off-season. Tyreke will also be a FA they might try to resign, but they don't have bird rights on him either.

He signed with Indiana strictly for playing time this year. Can't blame him for that. I also don't think Presti is offering any of the buy-out guys more than the minimum, despite being one of the few teams that could offer them more money. OKC appears to be capped out on payroll which means they likely try to trim some this off-season after their first round exit.

I doubt it. WCF is our floor, championship our ceiling. Doubt you downgrade after either.

I miss that optimism :lol:

I'll admit I'm skeptical now. My current assessment is that the 8th seed is our floor, 2nd round our ceiling.

Unless we release the Burton.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#654 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Out of curiosity, what kind of return could George realistically get us if traded?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#655 » by slick_watts » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:52 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of return could George realistically get us if traded?

lonzo ball, brandon ingram, and kyle kuzma.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#656 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:54 pm

slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of return could George realistically get us if traded?

Lol. No thanks. How about SGA and unprotected Miami pick for lac? Or Mikal bridges and Phoenix frp this year?
acheema0
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#657 » by acheema0 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

Lol. No thanks. How about SGA and unprotected Miami pick for lac? Or Mikal bridges and Phoenix frp this year?

No way on that pick unless it falls out of the top 5 probably farther. The first one is interesting though.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#658 » by slick_watts » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:59 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

i dunno but are we really going to trade pg and go full rebuild with westbrook still here? is westbrook even tradeable?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#659 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:02 pm

slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

i dunno but are we really going to trade pg and go full rebuild with westbrook still here? is westbrook even tradeable?

Probably not. I think the only way russ is traded is of ownership says they are done spending and Presti asks Russ if he wants to go somewhere else. Phoenix is a pretty big disaster and needs a pg. Do they even have a GM right now or is there owner calling the shots? Orlando could be a candidate too.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#660 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:04 pm

acheema0 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

No way on that pick unless it falls out of the top 5 probably farther. The first one is interesting though.

Like I said above, don’t give Phoenix too much credit. Woj tweeted a while back that their fo is a disaster. If I were Phoenix I wouldn’t trade the pick but who knows what they’ll be willing to do. Maybe their owner wants to win now.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder