2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:10 pm

1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

2. What are your team needs and the overall short term goals of the team?

3. Is there any reason your coach may not be in place next year?

4. Who are you willing to trade?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,113

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#2 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm

NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

It's a bit early to answer some of those questions

1. Noel (20%, think he can get more money elsewhere)
Felton (1%, probably going to retire?)
2pat (60% player option)

2. We need a SG and probably back up C (question 4).

3. If we lose in the first round yes. Other than that, I don't think so. I don't like Billy Donovan but coaching staff is doing a nice job this year.

4. Package around Schroeder and Ferguson (+ picks) for Jrue Holiday or Beal
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#3 » by SecondTake » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

It's a bit early to answer some of those questions

1. Noel (20%, think he can get more money elsewhere)
Felton (1%, probably going to retire?)
2pat (60% player option)

2. We need a SG and probably back up C (question 4).

3. If we lose in the first round yes. Other than that, I don't think so. I don't like Billy Donovan but coaching staff is doing a nice job this year.

4. Package around Schroeder and Ferguson (+ picks) for Jrue Holiday or Beal

HELL NO. Ferg isn't being traded, he's way too good.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am

I think our offseason goals depend on playoff performance.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#5 » by Pillendreher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I think our offseason goals depend on playoff performance.
I hope they bring everybody back after they win the 2019 Finals.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#6 » by spearsy23 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

I hope Klay Thompson signs on a vet minimum after we win the title.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#7 » by Pillendreher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#8 » by spearsy23 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:I hope they bring everybody back after they win the 2019 Finals.

Still can't believe we traded for them 25 years after their prime.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#9 » by Dn4sty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 am

I think OKC will set up for one more pretty decent trade involving Schroder going somewhere.

I also think that if KD ends up in NY, then OKC will be willing for one big shot at the finals (thus leading to them using the Melo TPE (10.8 million)
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#10 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 pm

1:
Noel (20%, he'll get more money elsewhere)
Pat Pat (player option, he'll take it)
Felton (50%, he's still got a little left in the tank and I think he'll want to go somewhere he can play, but he might stick around. He likes the guys.)

2:
Shooting, always. Another backup big since Pat Pat's fallen off a cliff.

3:
Nope, they re-signed him for the long term.

4:
Everyone not named Russ, PG or possibly Adams if it improves the team. But salary-wise they can't afford to get much more top-heavy than they are.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:

1:
Felton (50%, he's still got a little left in the tank and I think he'll want to go somewhere he can play, but he might stick around. He likes the guys.)

2:

3:

4:
Everyone not named Russ, PG or possibly Adams if it improves the team. But salary-wise they can't afford to get much more top-heavy than they are.

For culture purposes I can understand holding on to russ. For winning purposes I would move russ after this year.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:

1:

2:

3:

4:

For culture purposes I can understand holding on to russ. For winning purposes I would move russ after this year.

The "should Russ be traded" discussion is an interesting one. But I don't think it's happening.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
1:

2:

3:

4:

The "should Russ be traded" discussion is an interesting one. But I don't think it's happening.

Oh I agree completely. Presti wants guys like Russ, collison and others to be like Duncan and Manu. He's looking to build a culture where players stay and go down in franchise history. I think there is some merit to that. The reality is that keeping Russ may hurt us on the court but trading him could hurt presti's sustainability model. Unless Russ requests a trade, I don't think it happens.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:29 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Oh I agree completely. Presti wants guys like Russ, collison and others to be like Duncan and Manu. He's looking to build a culture where players stay and go down in franchise history. I think there is some merit to that. The reality is that keeping Russ may hurt us on the court but trading him could hurt presti's sustainability model. Unless Russ requests a trade, I don't think it happens.

Could also hurt you in other ways. Lowry's a pro's pro, but there's some real bad blood between him and Ujiri right now apparently over the DeRozan situation. Considering how close some of the guys on the team are. particularly Russ and PG, it's worth noting.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:

Could also hurt you in other ways. Lowry's a pro's pro, but there's some real bad blood between him and Ujiri right now apparently over the DeRozan situation. Considering how close some of the guys on the team are. particularly Russ and PG, it's worth noting.

The only scenario I see it happening is if ownership says they are done spending. Presti sits he and George down and explains the situation and let’s them decide. I think it would have to come from Russ himself.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#16 » by Balkman32 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Whoa - hmmm The THUNDER ARE NOT TRADING RUSS. PLEASE STOP WITH THIS NONSENSE.

-P Pat is 50/50 on opting in. WE will see how he does in the playoff.
-Noel is 50/50 as well. I don't know if he can get the mid level. The Thunder can only offer him the taypayers mid level, I don't know if I would offer him that just based on the fact that he can only play center and there are other centers out on the market. The Thunder should plan to use the tax payers mid level exception. I just don't know if you use it on a center.
-Felton If he wants back in at the minimum I have no issue with it. He is a coach that can still play. He was draining threes last night.

The Thunder don't have many needs. Getting Roberson back should help out. Getting another year under Diallo's belt is huge. The Thunder will need to replace the backup C and PF if Noel and Patterson go somewhere else. They should also figure out what the plan is for Roberson. Is Dre the new backup 2/, 3. or 4 or all, or none?

No- the head coach should not be fired.

Willing to trade everyone who's not in the starting lineup & Diallo. Which is Schroder, Roberson & Nader. But, I am not chomping at the bit to deal either Schroder or Roberson. I think both guys add value to this team and if you can bring them off the bench they are jsut as valuable as Livingston and Iguodala in Oakland.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#17 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:59 am

Balkman32 wrote:Whoa - hmmm The THUNDER ARE NOT TRADING RUSS. PLEASE STOP WITH THIS NONSENSE.

This is true. Even if they lose in the first round and ownership demands they get out of the tax and have to trade PG to do it they will keep Russ. Russ will be in OKC for his career unless he either demands to be traded or leaves after this contract to chase a ring as his career winds down.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#18 » by Dn4sty » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:50 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:Whoa - hmmm The THUNDER ARE NOT TRADING RUSS. PLEASE STOP WITH THIS NONSENSE.

This is true. Even if they lose in the first round and ownership demands they get out of the tax and have to trade PG to do it they will keep Russ. Russ will be in OKC for his career unless he either demands to be traded or leaves after this contract to chase a ring as his career winds down.

Please.....stop....
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:40 am

Please do yell at the clouds and read what was said. Ownership isn’t going to spend tens of millions in luxury tax year after year. At some point business decisions have to be made about the viability of building around russ moving forward. That either means russ is moved or the supporting cast is moved for cheaper(likely worse) options. It’s naive it think because russ loves OKC and OKC loves russ that everything will continue happily ever after. I just said in the previous post that I think russ stays here until he retires unless he wants to leave. He’ll probably play as many minutes as he wants and his body allows and will continue to be among the league leaders in fga.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#20 » by Balkman32 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

What? The only reason why everyone thinking ownership is cheap because they wouldn't go into the tax for Harden. It was a mistake. But, it was a calculated play because they planned to pay this tax now. Going into the lux tax for multiple years is expensive, that's why the Rockets just dipped under it. The Thunder are not trading Russ and they ain't dealing PG. They probably won't deal Adams because he is the new Mr. Thunder, a walking example as to how a Thunder basketball player should handle themselves.

OKC is gonna be a problem in the playoffs this year. They have 7 guys that can play at a high level. I can't wait till the playoffs.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder