Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Player(s) of the Game

Paul George | 45 PTS (17-31 FG, 5-13 3P), 9 REB, 7 AST
65%
Jerami Grant | 18 PTS (6-10 FG, 3-4 3P), 3 BLK
No votes
Steven Adams | 16 PTS (7-14 FG), 10 REB, 3 AST, 5 STL
4%
Terrance Ferguson | 12 PTS (5-8 FG, 2-5 3P)
No votes
Russell Westbrook | 43 PTS (15-29 FG, 6-13 3P), 15 REB, 8 AST
30%
Other (specify below)
No votes

Total votes: 23

SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Re: 2/22 | G58: Utah Jazz at Oklahoma City Thunder - 8:30PM CST 

Post#101 » by SecondTake » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:39 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Osirus89 wrote:Yeah PG was in the top 3 MVP before this game.
He's the front-runner now. I don't care what anyone says.

He's not even in the race. It is Giannias or Harden. I'm not saying that is how it should be, but that is how it is. The NBA wants one of those two to win and so it will happen. PG would have to be clearly the best option to have a realistic chance. ESPN even did a fluff piece for the other day on Giannias Vs Harden for MVP with both getting detailed reasons why they should win while PG got a single sentence.

I don’t think George gets the credit he deserves defensively.

I think the teams nosedive defensively has really hurt PG's claim for DPOY. I had him as a shoe in back in Jan, but Giannis might end up winning both MVP and DPOY if our defensive keeps falling like it has.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,136

Post#102 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:09 pm

SecondTake wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
He's not even in the race. It is Giannias or Harden. I'm not saying that is how it should be, but that is how it is. The NBA wants one of those two to win and so it will happen. PG would have to be clearly the best option to have a realistic chance. ESPN even did a fluff piece for the other day on Giannias Vs Harden for MVP with both getting detailed reasons why they should win while PG got a single sentence.

I don’t think George gets the credit he deserves defensively.

I think the teams nosedive defensively has really hurt PG's claim for DPOY. I had him as a shoe in back in Jan, but Giannis might end up winning both MVP and DPOY if our defensive keeps falling like it has.

They won't give MVP and DPOY to the same player. They didn't do it for Lebron in 2013 so not going to happen in a close MVP race this year. DPOY is pretty much a lock between PG13 and Gobert.

I think PG13 being the frontrunner for DPOY right now (if we finish 3rd he should get it) hurts his MVP chances.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#103 » by SecondTake » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
SecondTake wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t think George gets the credit he deserves defensively.

They won't give MVP and DPOY to the same player. They didn't do it for Lebron in 2013 so not going to happen in a close MVP race this year. DPOY is pretty much a lock between PG13 and Gobert.

I think PG13 being the frontrunner for DPOY right now (if we finish 3rd he should get it) hurts his MVP chances.

I don't think it hurts it - just generally DPOY's have not been offensively dominant enough to win MVP. Lebron in 2013 almost won it. Gasol took it because his impact defensively on his team that particular year was greater than Lebrons according to the numbers, and it's pretty tough for a wing to win it. It was close. If anything PG being defensively as dominant as he is, is his only real argument for winning the MVP over Giannis. We will have the worse record with bigger star players, and Giannis has the better overall numbers.

That said I think for PG to win MVP we'll need to be a top 2 seed (and 2 might not be enough), we'll need to remain a top 5 defense and he'll need to get his scoring average closer to 30.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder