Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Re: 3/1 | G62: Oklahoma City Thunder at San Antonio Spurs- 7:30PM CST 

Post#41 » by Dn4sty » Sun Mar 3, 2019 5:56 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
acheema0 wrote:
I can't agree with this more. Look at Milwaukee as well. Almost every rotation player they have around Giannis is at least a league average 3 point shooter if not better, and they continue to add more shooting. Some of their guys like Mirotic and Lopez regularly stand 3-4 feet behind the 3 point line and add even more space. On the other hand, we have Presti who seemingly refuses to add shooting and instead tries to buck the trend every year with something new, whether it's stacking up on big men, or whatever "controlled chaos" he was preaching this summer. Sucks that Russ's prime is nearing it's end, and we have yet to see him on a team with adequate spacing.

I don’t necessarily think we can say 100% for sure that Presti hasn’t tried to address shooting. At some point it’s true that players have just decided to go play elsewhere. I do think he’s made mistakes drafting certain players (Huestis, McGary, etc...)

This isn't the first year we lack shooting. The lack has moved towards taking more 3s and we don't even have a handful of reliable 3pt shooters on the roster. And it has been that way for years.

I agree, yet the solution (better shooting) isn’t always readily available. I do think there is a roster construction issue, yet I also think that some of the construction is not on Presti, players sometimes (and in many cases every time) have simply chosen to go elsewhere, or OKC hasn’t had the assets to acquire the players necessary.

I think my biggest trade/draft frustrations are Huestis and Waiters trade.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#42 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:52 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
acheema0 wrote:
I can't agree with this more. Look at Milwaukee as well. Almost every rotation player they have around Giannis is at least a league average 3 point shooter if not better, and they continue to add more shooting. Some of their guys like Mirotic and Lopez regularly stand 3-4 feet behind the 3 point line and add even more space. On the other hand, we have Presti who seemingly refuses to add shooting and instead tries to buck the trend every year with something new, whether it's stacking up on big men, or whatever "controlled chaos" he was preaching this summer. Sucks that Russ's prime is nearing it's end, and we have yet to see him on a team with adequate spacing.

I don’t necessarily think we can say 100% for sure that Presti hasn’t tried to address shooting. At some point it’s true that players have just decided to go play elsewhere. I do think he’s made mistakes drafting certain players (Huestis, McGary, etc...)

This isn't the first year we lack shooting. The lack has moved towards taking more 3s and we don't even have a handful of reliable 3pt shooters on the roster. And it has been that way for years.

In his preseason interview someone asked Presti if the roster was complete and he responded that we needed shooting. That was when we still had Abrines too. He knows but he opts for other types of players.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#43 » by Pillendreher » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:52 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:

I agree, yet the solution (better shooting) isn’t always readily available. I do think there is a roster construction issue, yet I also think that some of the construction is not on Presti, players sometimes (and in many cases every time) have simply chosen to go elsewhere, or OKC hasn’t had the assets to acquire the players necessary.

I think my biggest trade/draft frustrations are Huestis and Waiters trade.

We're in year 11 of OKC basketball. In 11 seasons with Sam Presti being the GM, the Thunder have the 7th worst 3P% in the entire league and were an above league average 3pt shooting team 3x:

2011/2012 at 35.8 % (league average was 34.9 %)
2012/2013 at 37.7 % (league average was 35.9 %)
2013/2014 at 36.1 % (league average was 36.0 %)

That's it. During Russell Westbrook's tenure with the Thunder, the team has managed to be within the top 10 in 3P% once - in 2012/2013. That's the whole career of a point guard that can't shoot 3s and needs spacing to operate in the paint.

And going back to 2014/2015, when the shift towards long distance shooting really started, the Thunder have the 3rd worst 3P% out of all teams over a 5 year span. While publicly gunning for the title every season.

I'm sorry, man, but I find your take on this absurd. 57 different players have played at least 400 minutes for the Thunder since they became the Thunder. We're talking about 11 seasons, not one offseason. Thabo Sefolosha and Jeff Green are 5th and 6th all time in Thunder 3PM. Think about that for a second. Presti complete and utter failure at getting consistent shooters on this team is inexcusable and can't be explained away at this point. He has simply failed at doing his job. We've hit rock bottom shooting wise when the whole league is shooting more than ever. What a **** mess.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#44 » by Pillendreher » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:

In his preseason interview someone asked Presti if the roster was complete and he responded that we needed shooting. That was when we still had Abrines too. He knows but he opts for other types of players.

This is what really gets my blood boiling: He publicly acknowledges roster issues and two seasons in a row, doesn't act, at all. The issue doesn't go away. It has been with us for more than half a decade. Yet, here we are. :banghead:
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#45 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:11 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

This is what really gets my blood boiling: He publicly acknowledges roster issues and two seasons in a row, doesn't act, at all. The issue doesn't go away. It has been with us for more than half a decade. Yet, here we are. :banghead:

Yea we couldn’t land Ellington or give up a second round pick to get Bullock? :noway:
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#46 » by Pillendreher » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:25 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:In his preseason interview someone asked Presti if the roster was complete and he responded that we needed shooting. That was when we still had Abrines too. He knows but he opts for other types of players.

Yea we couldn’t land Ellington or give up a second round pick to get Bullock? :noway:

Or maybe used the TPE instead of still paying Singler...

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder