Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,137

Re: The third time's the charm - First Round Series vs Portland 

Post#21 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:31 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
OfficialRef wrote:we win this easily. I can see us dropping a game but thats it.

Kanter will get abused in pnr by george and westbrook and they have NO ONE that can handle russ

“We”?

He will referee some of our games. Good to know that the refs are with us.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#22 » by NetsWorld » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:41 pm

We should beat a team like Portland, but after the awful start to post All Star Break, I won't be surprised if we lose. Last year, we all expected to Beat Utah and we saw the turnout afterwards. Nonetheless, if Thunder's D is consistent all series long and they make their shots, OKC should win the series in a tough six games. And being a six seed this year worked out better for us than Houston at 4. Houston will have to lock heads with the Warriors this time in the semi finals. The first two rounds are winnable for OKC, even without homecourt advantage, but the team will have to prove it. They finished poor and still end up with a decent shot at the WCF, it's time to capitalize.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#23 » by retrobro90 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I think Kanter won't play all that much honestly. Collins/Leonard probably take a lot of those minutes or at least I would do that if I were Stotts. I think we struggle against 5s that can stretch. Especially if Adams is hobbled and can't switch or hedge and recover.
I could live with that as well. Collins can't really shoot (he's 99/334 from 10+ feet in the first two seasons of hid career) and while Leonard is a guy that can drain a 3, he'd have to be a volume shooter and maker to make up for Adams' advantage on the interior, which isn't really his game. Hell, if you could steer Portland towards a much more prominent Leonard, it'd be excellent for us.

They could also go ultra small with someone like Aminu/harkless at the 5. In fact I'd bet on them doing so at least for stretches when they need offense. Could see Billy throwing out a Grant at the 5 lineup too
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#24 » by Pillendreher » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:36 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I think Kanter won't play all that much honestly. Collins/Leonard probably take a lot of those minutes or at least I would do that if I were Stotts. I think we struggle against 5s that can stretch. Especially if Adams is hobbled and can't switch or hedge and recover.
I could live with that as well. Collins can't really shoot (he's 99/334 from 10+ feet in the first two seasons of hid career) and while Leonard is a guy that can drain a 3, he'd have to be a volume shooter and maker to make up for Adams' advantage on the interior, which isn't really his game. Hell, if you could steer Portland towards a much more prominent Leonard, it'd be excellent for us.

They could also go ultra small with someone like Aminu/harkless at the 5. In fact I'd bet on them doing so at least for stretches when they need offense. Could see Billy throwing out a Grant at the 5 lineup too

Is that an offensive lineup though? They don't have a single forward that I'd characterize as an offensive weapon. Neither one of Harkless, Aminu and Turner is a real danger from 3. Turner is about the only guy that can actually create shots, but even that is not exactly something's he's good at.

EDIT: I guess Layman or Hood could provide some offense off the bench, but then again, are those the guys you want to get relative heavy minutes as Portland?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#25 » by CROklahoma » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Thing I've been interested the most.
What is the schedule for the team till Sunday.
Are the guys given rest today/tomorrow, are they focusing on film room, extensive shootaround, recovery, etc.
Is there any source of which activities are happening ...
There's got to be some change in the way team prepares for regular season games and these type of clashes.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#26 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm

I expect a lot of small ball from Portland. I don't expect Kanter to be playing 20+ MPG. They might even start Lillard, CJ, Turner, Harkless and Aminu. That would be my starting 5 if I were Portland with Curry, Hood and Leonard as my bench. Maybe Kanter for a few minutes here and there if there was something inviting about the Thunder lineup for a 4-5 min stretch here and there, which is likely with Donovan coaching.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#27 » by retrobro90 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:I could live with that as well. Collins can't really shoot (he's 99/334 from 10+ feet in the first two seasons of hid career) and while Leonard is a guy that can drain a 3, he'd have to be a volume shooter and maker to make up for Adams' advantage on the interior, which isn't really his game. Hell, if you could steer Portland towards a much more prominent Leonard, it'd be excellent for us.

Is that an offensive lineup though? They don't have a single forward that I'd characterize as an offensive weapon. Neither one of Harkless, Aminu and Turner is a real danger from 3. Turner is about the only guy that can actually create shots, but even that is not exactly something's he's good at.

EDIT: I guess Layman or Hood could provide some offense off the bench, but then again, are those the guys you want to get relative heavy minutes as Portland?

I think Aminu is a danger from 3 especially when playing the five. Harkless and Turner are horrible shooters though and I dont think Turner has the requisite defense/length/elevation to spend any amount of minutes at C
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#28 » by CROklahoma » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 pm

And who would actually rebound the ball for them ?
Dame $ ?

Adams would make apartment underneath the basket, stop with the ridicolous ideas ...
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#29 » by Pillendreher » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

I think Aminu is a danger from 3 especially when playing the five. Harkless and Turner are horrible shooters though and I dont think Turner has the requisite defense/length/elevation to spend any amount of minutes at C

35.3 % from 3 as a Blazer in four seasons. The last two seasons he didn't even crack the 50th percentile in spot up PPP. You don't want to give him wide open 3 after wide open 3, but again, if you can get the ball out of Lillard's hands, I think you can live with 3s for these roleplayers. Especially if you can force them into situations they're not comfortable in, ie bigger offensive roles than they're used to.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#30 » by Pillendreher » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 pm

CROklahoma wrote:And who would actually rebound the ball for them ?
Dame $ ?

Adams would make apartment underneath the basket, stop with the ridicolous ideas ...

If there's ever a series that Adams could dominate, this should be it. No more 4 FGA kind of games. Involve him heavily. I don't think they have a single guy on the roster that can match him physically.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#31 » by slick_watts » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm

portland's going to do a lot of off-ball screening to get us out of sorts especially with nurkic out. i dunno if they've been doing pnr less without him but i expect they have. this could save adams some effort. their other bigs are not nearly as good at passing as nurkic so there's less to worry about with that weak side corner three point shooter. i'd play them relatively straight up. ferguson has been successful this year at times getting through screens against portland, at other times not. i think that will dictate what we do.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Pillendreher wrote:If there's ever a series that Adams could dominate, this should be it. No more 4 FGA kind of games. Involve him heavily. I don't think they have a single guy on the roster that can match him physically.

That means the Donovan game plan will be a lot of 3s with no designed touches for Adams.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#33 » by JustOneFix » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm so confident in us against the Blazers, that I would even dare to rest George for the first game. If we win the game 1, I would rest him the game 2 as well and get him completely healthy and rested for the second round.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#34 » by NaturalThunder » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

Incoming 22.5/6.2/2.8 on 40/31/79 shooting series from PG.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 pm

NaturalThunder wrote:Incoming 22.5/6.2/2.8 on 40/31/79 shooting series from PG.

That seems reasonable.

PG before the break shot 45/81/49 with 59 TS% and 11.2 +/-
PG after the break shot 40/34/84 with 54 TS% and 1.8 +/-
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#36 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:29 am

Looks like your dream of me leaving gets delayed another year. We're going to the finals.
Pillendreher wrote:Image

77 % to make it out of the 1st round, 49 % to make it out of the 2nd round (ie 64 % to beat our 2nd round matchup). I'll take it.

I'm not sure how we have 64% chance in the second round though. Denver is slumping but we seem to match up terribly and its not like we're on fire. I would like our chances better with a healthy Pg.

Adams should average 20+ against POR. Billy better be feeding him on every possession. Take some pressure off pg.

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#37 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:30 am

Btw any news on Adams? Is he injured at all?

We need to put this away in five to give pg some rest

SecondTake
Veteran

Post#38 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 am

JustOneFix wrote:I'm still in complete disbelif how this turned out. We got the team in the first round that we beat 4-0 this season and GS is on the other side of the bracket. This is beyond my wildest and most optimistic expectations...
Billy is a genius. His tactical tanking had worked out exactly like he planned.

Should get COTY consideration. Phill needs to add a checkmark to his avatar.

SecondTake
Veteran

Post#39 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 am

Pillendreher wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Schroeder has shown that he likely will take over a game or 2 in a 7 game series as well, which is why he's such a weapon off the bench, a notion this board has been against for some reason all year. Those regular season numbers you've killed him on mean absolutely 0 as of today. Can he get hot in a playoff game or 2 per series? That's is and has been all that matters. No reason to think he cant.

This is simple maths any adult should be capable of doing and understanding. Dennis Schröder will play a finite amount of games this postseason. His regular season indicates that we'll get a lot of up and down performances from him. And even though you fail to acknowledge this, it's not just the good performances that matter. It's the whole package.

Let's say we beat them in 6 and Schröder has two games in which he "gets hot" while playing like his more usual than some people want to admit bad self in the other four. Those two most likely will not be enough for him bricking shots left and right in the other four. His post ASB performance illustrates this issue perfectly:

He's had a couple of games in which he was great offensively, but he's also had so many horrible ones that those great games are simply overshadowed. League average is at 56 TS% and Schröder has been at 48.2 since the ASB. Every time we don't get "Hot Schröder", it hurts the team in a way that goes beyond simple volatility because Schröder is not a 15 minutes off the bench kind of guy, but a 30+ minutes kind of guy. And when his shot doesn't fall, he's a big fat negative on the court since you're not getting surplus value defensively from him either.
Mhmm I like that recent trend line though

SecondTake
Veteran

Post#40 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 am

JustOneFix wrote:I'm so confident in us against the Blazers, that I would even dare to rest George for the first game. If we win the game 1, I would rest him the game 2 as well and get him completely healthy and rested for the second round.
Woah bro hold your horses. we not doing that.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder