2018–2019 OKC Thunder Playoffs General Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Re: 2018–2019 OKC Thunder Playoffs General Thread 

Post#41 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Nah. Playoff Schroeder enters after 6-7 minutes in the first quarter as usual. He starts hitting 3-4 shots in a row and can't stop making shots until the end of games (and the playoffs). After he gets Finals MVP title we trade him and Patterson for Beal and Washington first pick.

What drugs are you on and where can I get some?
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#42 » by spearsy23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:The shot selection is a big issue. We have several guys that shoot a capable percentage from three.

Not really when you account for shot quality

I don't understand. Are you agreeing with me?

No, I mean (unless numbers have changed since earlier this year) our 'acceptable' shooters are shooting league average percentages but they're getting wide open shots.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
oreojenkins
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#43 » by oreojenkins » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 am

This team is absolutely brutal to watch.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#44 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:10 am

I'm still waiting for the arrival of Playoff Schröder and the contributions of the Turd Brothers. When can I expect them?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#45 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 am

I'm just ready for the season to be over.

Grant is a no show this serious.

Ferguson is completely worthless on both ends of the floor.

They ignored Steven Adams yet again.

The team is just dumb and devoid of talent and structure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#46 » by CROklahoma » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am

We could have had now Diallo, who was one of the best athletes in NCAA, ready to contribute defensively, and Burton, who both are incredibly athleticly gifted, ready to play some minutes off the bench if they were given 50-60 games with 10+ minutes in regular season to get some experience, and flow.

But the coach thought it would be smart to have Felton, Noel, and Morris as his main bench pieces, without any length on perimeter. Thats atrocious decision, given todays NBA is all about defending the 3pt.

Whats there to say ?
I definately aint back for regular season next year, atleast not until ASB of 2020, this is just way too much of a mismanagment on both front office and our coaching staff to continue pounding any market shares on this team. And, one of the most expensive teams in sports of all time.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#47 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Starting to think this team doesn't ever make another deep playoff run until the Russ/Donovan era has ended and a proper rebuild has taken place. Westbrook last night was just ridiculous. And Donovan's inability to actually install adjustments to the gameplan is notable.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#48 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 pm

I heard a clip yesterday on the radio that some season ticket holder said he wouldn't be renewing his full allotment of tickets next year. His ticket rep asked why and he said that basically if the team doesn't care every night then why should he? Having enough people take on that mentality is really the only hope for major changes. Presti clearly doesn't get it.

People talk about match ups in a playoff series being different than the regular season because teams can prepare and make adjustments. We are the exact kind of team that gets exposed in the playoffs despite any regular season success.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#49 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:43 pm

we're a team that gets exposed in the playoffs since kd left and westbrook became the leader. this team way over-performed in 2015-16 in the postseason relative to the regular season with billy at the helm and kd around.

we're losing to a team that was better than us in the regular season. i dunno that losing in the 1st round w/o hca is under-performing. the thunder since the new year have been close to a .500 team.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#50 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm

slick_watts wrote:we're a team that gets exposed in the playoffs since kd left and westbrook became the leader. this team way over-performed in 2015-16 in the postseason relative to the regular season with billy at the helm and kd around.

we're losing to a team that was better than us in the regular season. i dunno that losing in the 1st round w/o hca is under-performing. the thunder since the new year have been close to a .500 team.

Say they do end up losing this series (which appears likely given the 0-2 hole), I think it's safe to say the end result of a third consecutive 1st round exit is under performing for a team with 2 all stars, especially given the competition here. Portland lost their starting center like a month ago. They're starting Enes Kanter FFS. This thing was set up perfectly for the Thunder to at least make the second round. But its hard to overcome this lack of on court leadership, coaching, and shot making.

Next season could be another big one for this team. Could definitely see Geroge requesting a trade if Russ doesn't turn it around. He's wasting the best years of his career trying to prop up Russ' beligerent, washed up ass.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Say they do end up losing this series (which appears likely given the 0-2 hole), I think it's safe to say the end result of a third consecutive 1st round exit is under performing for a team with 2 all stars, especially given the competition here.

kind of a narrow way to evaluate the teams, right? just because we have two all-stars doesn't make us better, obviously. portland's played well since nurkic got hurt, better than us down the stretch. we might have 3 or 4 players who aren't net negatives, and one of them has been bad this series (j. grant).
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#52 » by NetsWorld » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
slick_watts wrote:we're a team that gets exposed in the playoffs since kd left and westbrook became the leader. this team way over-performed in 2015-16 in the postseason relative to the regular season with billy at the helm and kd around.

Say they do end up losing this series (which appears likely given the 0-2 hole), I think it's safe to say the end result of a third consecutive 1st round exit is under performing for a team with 2 all stars, especially given the competition here. Portland lost their starting center like a month ago. They're starting Enes Kanter FFS. This thing was set up perfectly for the Thunder to at least make the second round. But its hard to overcome this lack of on court leadership, coaching, and shot making.

Next season could be another big one for this team. Could definitely see Geroge requesting a trade if Russ doesn't turn it around. He's wasting the best years of his career trying to prop up Russ' beligerent, washed up ass.

I really want to avoid saying the Westbrook era is over but after this loss last night, I am starting to believe it may be time to trade him and get value while we can. One of two things can happen, either we trade everyone for picks and start over and get rid of Donovan, which is realistic, or trade Westbrook for symmetric talent, which is unlikely, and help retool the team with PG13 as the leader. I would much rather start over and see what talent this team can rebuild with, this way, our expectations don't have to be high all the time.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Say they do end up losing this series (which appears likely given the 0-2 hole), I think it's safe to say the end result of a third consecutive 1st round exit is under performing for a team with 2 all stars, especially given the competition here.

kind of a narrow way to evaluate the teams, right? just because we have two all-stars doesn't make us better, obviously. portland's played well since nurkic got hurt, better than us down the stretch. we might have 3 or 4 players who aren't net negatives, and one of them has been bad this series (j. grant).

How can you say all that and still miss the broader point that there's no reason one could easily quantify for which they SHOULD be better than us since Nurk went down. You put these rosters on paper up against each other, is the Thunder's worse? I would say no but even if you conclude it is worse is it 20 points worse in a pivotal game 2 that the team needed to show up for? Seems absurd on its face in my opinion. NO, the results in total are an indictment of job the organization has done fielding the team, not an exoneration of them.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

How can you say all that and still miss the broader point that there's no reason one could easily quantify for which they SHOULD be better than us since Nurk went down. You put these rosters on paper up against each other, is the Thunder's worse? I would say no but even if you conclude it is worse is it 20 points worse in a pivotal game 2 that the team needed to show up for? Seems absurd on its face in my opinion. NO, the results in total are an indictment of job the organization has done fielding the team, not an exoneration of them.

my point is that this isn't surprising given the season they had. we had a below average offense that would have been in the bottom third if not for a stretch of hot three point shooting. this game isn't an indictment, the season has been.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Old Man Game wrote:How can you say all that and still miss the broader point that there's no reason one could easily quantify for which they SHOULD be better than us since Nurk went down. You put these rosters on paper up against each other, is the Thunder's worse? I would say no but even if you conclude it is worse is it 20 points worse in a pivotal game 2 that the team needed to show up for? Seems absurd on its face in my opinion. NO, the results in total are an indictment of job the organization has done fielding the team, not an exoneration of them.

When I actually just look at the rosters, without Nurkic, the Portland roster is significantly better. The only argument for OKC being better is if you think Russ and PG are clearly the best players in the series and there is a huge gap. After the top 2 players Portland has a MASSIVE advantage. I'll just rate the top 15 players in the series:

1- PG, not right now because he isn't healthy but we are just looking at it from the abstract view of on paper
2- Lillard
3- Russ
4- CJ
5- Aminu
6- Adams
7- Harkless
8- Curry
9- Turner
10- Hood
11- Grant
12- Ferguson
13- Kanter
14- Noel
15- Scroder
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#56 » by Jstock12 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Westbrook last night was just ridiculous. .

He was 1 rebound away from a triple-double though.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Jstock12 wrote:

That means he had a very good game! Triple double is everything! Efficiency is just something the haters use so they can claim Russ isn't the best player to ever play. How many other players have averaged a triple double for 3 seasons? That alone proves Russ is the best ever!!!

I have heard multiple people recite that garbage. They are what I consider the worst type of Thunder fan. They are more fans of the Russ show than of the Thunder winning in my opinion. Being critical of Russ' flaws does mean you deny he is a great player. It just means that you want everyone on your team to maximize their potential and when you see ho Russ fails to do that you want him to improve. It is no different than saying Roberson needs to find a shooting motion that allows him to become a 35% 3pt shooter and 80% FT shooter so he can be a great 3&D player. If I say Adams needs to develop a mid-range game and a 3pt shot to have a higher impact that isn't being critical of his work in the paint it is wanting him to become better to maximize himself and the team.

Some people believe that you aren't allowed to be a Thunder fan and be critical of Russ and I have no idea why so many fans believe that. Appreciating that Russ resigned after OKC was never going to be a contender again is great. Appreciating the insane show that Russ puts on is great. Russ is one of the most entertaining players in the NBA. If Russ were a better shooter and more willing to play in an offense with more motion and getting players their best shots I would appreciate the extra wins more than the triple doubles.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#58 » by Jstock12 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

That means he had a very good game! Triple double is everything! Efficiency is just something the haters use so they can claim Russ isn't the best player to ever play. How many other players have averaged a triple double for 3 seasons? That alone proves Russ is the best ever!!!

I have heard multiple people recite that garbage. They are what I consider the worst type of Thunder fan. They are more fans of the Russ show than of the Thunder winning in my opinion. Being critical of Russ' flaws does mean you deny he is a great player. It just means that you want everyone on your team to maximize their potential and when you see ho Russ fails to do that you want him to improve. It is no different than saying Roberson needs to find a shooting motion that allows him to become a 35% 3pt shooter and 80% FT shooter so he can be a great 3&D player. If I say Adams needs to develop a mid-range game and a 3pt shot to have a higher impact that isn't being critical of his work in the paint it is wanting him to become better to maximize himself and the team.

Some people believe that you aren't allowed to be a Thunder fan and be critical of Russ and I have no idea why so many fans believe that. Appreciating that Russ resigned after OKC was never going to be a contender again is great. Appreciating the insane show that Russ puts on is great. Russ is one of the most entertaining players in the NBA. If Russ were a better shooter and more willing to play in an offense with more motion and getting players their best shots I would appreciate the extra wins more than the triple doubles.

Not saying Russ can't improve a little in an area or two. I just think that Thunder fans are taking him for granted sometimes. The vast majority of NBA players have never had a triple-double in their careers. They're extremely hard to get.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect

Post#59 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I heard a clip yesterday on the radio that some season ticket holder said he wouldn't be renewing his full allotment of tickets next year. His ticket rep asked why and he said that basically if the team doesn't care every night then why should he? Having enough people take on that mentality is really the only hope for major changes. Presti clearly doesn't get it.

I've pretty much said the same thing. OKC fans need to stop providing unwavering support to this franchise and its players. Fans need to start holding the team accountable for their actions, like fans of teams in the NY, Boston, Philly area do.

It won't happen because generally speaking fans of teams in the southwest & midwest believe in nothing but positive reinforcement.

But sometimes the organization and the players need to know you're frustrated with them. Especially since we are now 3 years into watching the coaches, players, and front office make the same dumb decisions. I'm not saying this city should be as hard on the team as those northeast cities but at some point enough is enough.

OKC fans should rightfully tear this team apart on Friday night if they run out there with the same garbage game plan and style of play. And they should absolutely start casting their "vote" for the direction of this franchise by withholding their hard earned money until this organization shows they're willing to make some real change for the better.

But they won't. OKC will shoot something like 6-36 again from three point range while making no adjustments and the fans will still give these losers a standing ovation as they slump off the court down 0-3.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Not saying Russ can't improve a little in an area or two. I just think that Thunder fans are taking him for granted sometimes. The vast majority of NBA players have never had a triple-double in their careers. They're extremely hard to get.

If anything OKC fans kiss Westbrook's ass entirely too much.

Most OKC fans refuse to admit it but his stat padding and triple double hunting are a major part of the problem. Westbrook frequently plays lackluster defense on the guy he's guarding all because he's too busy trying to sag into the lane so he can grab rebounds that Grant or Adams could easily secure.

Imagine if 100% focus of this team were on actually playing the game the right way instead of focusing unnecessary energy and effort into padding the stats of one player.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder