Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

acheema0
Sophomore
And1: 104

Re: Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#61 » by acheema0 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 pm

We can fire Billy and Presti and trade Dennis/Adams and all that, but nothing is going to change unless Russ takes a long look at himself this summer. He talked all that talk only to get embarrassed on the biggest stage. That makes back to back playoffs now where he's been owned by Ricky Rubio and now Lillard. It starts with him and if he keeps declining the way he has these last 2 seasons nothing else we do will matter.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#62 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Again: I don't give a damn. What these guys are saying during/after leaving the Thunder beat is not inherently more valuable simply because they're leavin. You want it to be representative of reality because it goes against the company line and therefore it must be true. No.

thunder beat writers have been more forthcoming when they know they are leaving. that is a trend. they've even spoken about topics we have been in agreement on- e.g. the thunder not knowing why they are losing. erik horne's comment is in stark contrast to what is ordinarily presented by thunder media, which gives it almost whistle blower weight. and it happens to coincide what has occurred in reality.

Like I said: You ascribe some sort of inherent value to those comments because they coincide with your personal views. Nothing more to it.

i'ts my experience as an investigator that people are more forthcoming in those situations where they are insulated from potential backlash. katz, slater, darnell before. and imo horne now. but again, we'll see!

it is not because they coincide with my personal views. it's kinda insulting you continue to insinuate that without any evidence.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,136

Post#63 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:56 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Again: I don't give a damn. What these guys are saying during/after leaving the Thunder beat is not inherently more valuable simply because they're leavin. You want it to be representative of reality because it goes against the company line and therefore it must be true. No.

thunder beat writers have been more forthcoming when they know they are leaving. that is a trend. they've even spoken about topics we have been in agreement on- e.g. the thunder not knowing why they are losing. erik horne's comment is in stark contrast to what is ordinarily presented by thunder media, which gives it almost whistle blower weight. and it happens to coincide what has occurred in reality.

time will tell, as it always does.

Pillendreher wrote:This must be exhausting, comin up with excuses every time. Is foam rolling giving you the stamina to do this with such vigor?

excuses? portland took advantage of westbrook's poor shooting like numerous teams have this season. we were a below average team offensively this year! .500-ish since january. these aren't excuses, this is the team that was heading into the playoffs. gregg popovich wouldn't have changed anything about the outcome of this series given the way we shot the ball for most of it.

That's an exaggeration even if I don't blame Billy Donovan so much for our terrible season/playoff performance.

Bad roster or not we definitely need some coaching change. We need someone who has the balls to confront our players. Billy D is more of a friend to the players (maybe it works in the NCAA but not in the NBA)
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:57 pm

acheema0 wrote:We can fire Billy and Presti and trade Dennis/Adams and all that, but nothing is going to change unless Russ takes a long look at himself this summer. He talked all that talk only to get embarrassed on the biggest stage. That makes back to back playoffs now where he's been owned by Ricky Rubio and now Lillard. It starts with him and if he keeps declining the way he has these last 2 seasons nothing else we do will matter.

he just needs more black tape.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Bad roster or not we definitely need some coaching change. We need someone who has the balls to confront our players. Billy D is more of a friend to the players (maybe it works in the NCAA but not in the NBA)

but that's not what the players want. and i think as long as presti is around we will cater to what the players want. it's what kept paul george around.

by the way. criticism of donovan should extent to our entire coaching staff. do we have any stand-out assistants anymore? not after adrian griffin left.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#66 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:01 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Bad roster or not we definitely need some coaching change. We need someone who has the balls to confront our players. Billy D is more of a friend to the players (maybe it works in the NCAA but not in the NBA)

but that's not what the players want. and i think as long as presti is around we will cater to what the players want. it's what kept paul george around.

by the way. criticism of donovan should extent to our entire coaching staff. do we have any stand-out assistants anymore? not after adrian griffin left.

Well that's the first thing that needs to change.

Clay Bennett should ask them if they still want to win at any cost or just having a nice lifestyle.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#67 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 pm

slick_watts wrote:true or false: dennis schroder's trade value is higher now than it was last summer.

Probably about the same. So false. I do think he's lost the stigma as a malcontent.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:04 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
slick_watts wrote:true or false: dennis schroder's trade value is higher now than it was last summer.

Probably about the same. So false. I do think he's lost the stigma as a malcontent.

that's a good point. irrespective of his productivity this year, he was never a distraction. and he's owed two years, $30 million instead of three years, $45 million.

his value could actually be higher.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#69 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

Like I said: You ascribe some sort of inherent value to those comments because they coincide with your personal views. Nothing more to it.

i'ts my experience as an investigator

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

i'ts my experience as an investigator

i knew you'd like that.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#71 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 pm

slick_watts wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

that's a good point. irrespective of his productivity this year, he was never a distraction. and he's owed two years, $30 million instead of three years, $45 million.

his value could actually be higher.

I think it's a bit higher yeah but still negative value so we had to pay to get him and we will need to pay to get rid of him. Not worth it :(
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#72 » by Thunder Up » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 pm

on a complete side note... what percentage would you throw on Harden getting a foul call on Russ’ last shot of the game, with a nice little head flail backwards?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#73 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:17 pm

I'd say true. He was mostly a happy warrior (mostly not entirely) and he has one less year that a team would have to pay him if it goes south.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#74 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:29 pm

I just wonder where ownership is at on all of this. We've had one of the higher payrolls in the league for 2 straight years now and we've won a grand total of 3 playoff games. Sooner or later don't you get tired of that? They supposedly earn an extra million dollars per playoff game hosted so they aren't even coming close to covering their loses here.

Clay Bennett had cancer (I believe he's in remission) so maybe this is the least of his concerns for all I know.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#75 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Sinobas wrote:You should rebuild. Westbrook is a player that relies on atheticism, so it's better to trade him while he has value. You have two good pieces in Adams and George. Trade RW for a real PG.

There is the door, pal. Go right through it and don't look back. Bye.

Can you leave me reports for this? I have to sleep sometime.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Sinobas wrote:You should rebuild. Westbrook is a player that relies on atheticism, so it's better to trade him while he has value. You have two good pieces in Adams and George. Trade RW for a real PG.

There is the door, pal. Go right through it and don't look back. Bye.

Can you leave me reports for this? I have to sleep sometime.

we are the watchers on the wall
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#77 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:09 pm

For what it's worth, I'm 100% with Justin here. Blaming Donovan is a cop-out, especially considering we've seen some rather nice ATOs at times from him.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#78 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Can Donovan and Westbrook coexist successfully? If the answer to that question isn't yes then get ready for more of the same.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#79 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:especially considering we've seen some rather nice ATOs at times from him.

Is that enough to pay a guy 6 million a year? Because we're 9th in ORtG after timeouts this season? Which wasn't even every 20th offensive possession?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#80 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:45 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Can Donovan and Westbrook coexist successfully? If the answer to that question isn't yes then get ready for more of the same.

I don't think Donovan can coexist with any superstar. Well, maybe Lebron, but that's because Lebron is also a coach, GM and has a very high BBIQ

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder