CAN play Kanter...LMAO

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, ThunderBolt

User avatar
Pillendreher
RealGM
Posts: 13,979
And1: 9,672
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
 

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#21 » by Pillendreher » Sat May 4, 2019 10:18 am

hardenASG13 wrote:1) simply not true. Who have they replaced Roberson with since his injury, or who did they have as a backup when he played that was a competent NBA player? Name him!


viewtopic.php?p=64442327#p64442327

hardenASG13 wrote:3) this one is so sweet. My argument all along Re: Roberson: He could be replaced by almost any competent 2 guard in the league, and that guard and the team would thrive. Cory brewer ladies and gentleman! You all would've pointed to his stats and said I was crazy if I told you he'd be more than serviceable replacement. He's been great, the teams looked great, instantly. He's thriving with the easy role of shoot open shots, and cut when your open, as I've been trying to tell you any NBA caliber 2 guard would on this team. It's such an easy spot. Also nice that he can dribble a ball too. Everyone is benefiting as I've told you they would, the floor is spaced, lanes are open, shots are easier.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,680
And1: 323
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#22 » by hardenASG13 » Sat May 4, 2019 12:32 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:1) simply not true. Who have they replaced Roberson with since his injury, or who did they have as a backup when he played that was a competent NBA player? Name him!


viewtopic.php?p=64442327#p64442327

hardenASG13 wrote:3) this one is so sweet. My argument all along Re: Roberson: He could be replaced by almost any competent 2 guard in the league, and that guard and the team would thrive. Cory brewer ladies and gentleman! You all would've pointed to his stats and said I was crazy if I told you he'd be more than serviceable replacement. He's been great, the teams looked great, instantly. He's thriving with the easy role of shoot open shots, and cut when your open, as I've been trying to tell you any NBA caliber 2 guard would on this team. It's such an easy spot. Also nice that he can dribble a ball too. Everyone is benefiting as I've told you they would, the floor is spaced, lanes are open, shots are easier.


Ahhh grasping at straws, gotta celebrate your wins. Do you think brewer proved to be an NBA caliber rotation 2? I'll happily admit I was wrong, he wasn't. NBA teams agreed he only got a few 10 days this season. This does not help you're Roberson argument in any way. And this is about kanter, looked good again last night playing with 1 arm.
User avatar
Pillendreher
RealGM
Posts: 13,979
And1: 9,672
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
 

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#23 » by Pillendreher » Sat May 4, 2019 12:39 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:1) simply not true. Who have they replaced Roberson with since his injury, or who did they have as a backup when he played that was a competent NBA player? Name him!


viewtopic.php?p=64442327#p64442327

hardenASG13 wrote:3) this one is so sweet. My argument all along Re: Roberson: He could be replaced by almost any competent 2 guard in the league, and that guard and the team would thrive. Cory brewer ladies and gentleman! You all would've pointed to his stats and said I was crazy if I told you he'd be more than serviceable replacement. He's been great, the teams looked great, instantly. He's thriving with the easy role of shoot open shots, and cut when your open, as I've been trying to tell you any NBA caliber 2 guard would on this team. It's such an easy spot. Also nice that he can dribble a ball too. Everyone is benefiting as I've told you they would, the floor is spaced, lanes are open, shots are easier.


Ahhh grasping at straws, gotta celebrate your wins. Do you think brewer proved to be an NBA caliber rotation 2? I'll happily admit I was wrong, he wasn't. NBA teams agreed he only got a few 10 days this season. This does not help you're Roberson argument in any way.


:lol: :lol: :lol: For years and years you have been claiming that any random Joe off the streets could replace Roberson and help the team. Player after player has not come close to what he did for this team. And you have been pivoting at every opportunity. When player xy gets minutes, he's proof that Roberson was useless. And after said player fails to cover for Roberson, said player suddenly sucks. The contradiction between the first statement ("HE SUCKS SO MUCH ANYBODY COULD BE BETTER THAN HIM") and the following statements ("Well, these 5 guys can't, but he still absolutely sucks!") is just swept under the rug.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Kizz Fastfists
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,351
And1: 1,304
Joined: Jun 05, 2014
   

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#24 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat May 4, 2019 2:32 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Haha stats aren't always evidence, they can and do measure things inaccurately, and would in the case of your Westbrook scenario, lead someone familiar with the statistic to question it's validity, since it was painfully clear this was far from Westbrooks best year at the rim anyone could see that, the stats you use as evidence are very misleading here.


So shots made are not evidence? In that case I guess Presti is right and there is no reason not to expect Russ to have a career shooting year from 3 next year because he was great at it this year in some obscure way where you ignore the actual results of shots. Russ makes a higher percentage of his shots at the rim than any previous season in his career yet you say he was bad at the rim. Has he always been bad at the rim? I know some people who say he has been overrated at the rim for most of his career. Is that your argument? If you are not going to base shooting on the shots made then what are you basing it on?
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,801
And1: 15,576
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#25 » by Jstock12 » Sat May 4, 2019 7:00 pm

sleestak33 wrote:It's gotta hurt all the people on this message board who continuously ragged on Kanter when he was here when he not only outplayed our 100 million dollar man Adams but continues to go right on starting for Portland against Denver and is playing very well and just doing what he does...pretty much 14/10 every game. Like I said when he was in OKC he should not only have been starting but also playing about 34 minutes per game ( he only averaged about 25 here) and of course I was 100% right. Unfortunately we just had a coach that didn't believe in him and didn't know how to use him correctly. Doesn't have anything to do with our team right now but I also was ragged on incessantly by many on this board for my stance on Kanter and it sure feels awfully good to see all of you eat crow now. :lol:


I agree. Kanter is balling. Even in a very close, 4 overtime game against one of the best backcourts in the league (that is extremely capable of exploiting bad big men defenders) he still had a positive plus/minus in freaking 56 minutes of play. He's been a positive player in these playoffs and the sample size is no longer negligible. Some people were proven very wrong and are eating crow now. Lots of it.

P.S. Would I pick him over Nurkic or Adams? No **** way. But let's recognize what Enes is doing, por favor.
CROklahoma
Junior
Posts: 416
And1: 115
Joined: Feb 22, 2017

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#26 » by CROklahoma » Sat May 4, 2019 7:53 pm

Psssst, nazi analytics are gonna come and state that your sample size is too small, or are gonna point splits from 2016, or one game, or one series, or ...

Kanter as one of the main protagonists for his team to advance to WCF. Take Two.
User avatar
Pillendreher
RealGM
Posts: 13,979
And1: 9,672
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
 

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#27 » by Pillendreher » Sat May 4, 2019 9:40 pm

CROklahoma wrote:Psssst, nazi analytics


Excuse me, what?!
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 9,673
And1: 6,220
Joined: Jun 23, 2015
Contact:
   

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#28 » by Andre Roberstan » Sun May 5, 2019 2:29 am

CROklahoma wrote:Psssst, nazi analytics are gonna come and state that your sample size is too small, or are gonna point splits from 2016, or one game, or one series, or ...

Kanter as one of the main protagonists for his team to advance to WCF. Take Two.


I'm gonna assume this is in the general sense and not a shot at Pille? One hopes.
Image
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,948
And1: 3,279
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#29 » by slick_watts » Mon May 6, 2019 2:02 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Haha stats aren't always evidence, they can and do measure things inaccurately, and would in the case of your Westbrook scenario, lead someone familiar with the statistic to question it's validity, since it was painfully clear this was far from Westbrooks best year at the rim anyone could see that, the stats you use as evidence are very misleading here.


he's attempting the same or more number of shots at the rim, and making more of them than he ever has. what is misleading about that? what can possibly be 'invalid' about it? because it's "painfully clear" that westbrook isn't as good at the rim? you sound like a flat earther.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,948
And1: 3,279
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#30 » by slick_watts » Mon May 6, 2019 2:03 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
CROklahoma wrote:Psssst, nazi analytics are gonna come and state that your sample size is too small, or are gonna point splits from 2016, or one game, or one series, or ...

Kanter as one of the main protagonists for his team to advance to WCF. Take Two.


I'm gonna assume this is in the general sense and not a shot at Pille? One hopes.


as an actual victim of pille's authoritarianism and an actual jew, even i wouldn't go that far and make nazi jokes. i give CROklahoma the benefit of the doubt.
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,680
And1: 323
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#31 » by hardenASG13 » Mon May 6, 2019 2:51 pm

slick_watts wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Haha stats aren't always evidence, they can and do measure things inaccurately, and would in the case of your Westbrook scenario, lead someone familiar with the statistic to question it's validity, since it was painfully clear this was far from Westbrooks best year at the rim anyone could see that, the stats you use as evidence are very misleading here.


he's attempting the same or more number of shots at the rim, and making more of them than he ever has. what is misleading about that? what can possibly be 'invalid' about it? because it's "painfully clear" that westbrook isn't as good at the rim? you sound like a flat earther.


So you and kizz think it was Russell Westbrooks best year shooting at the rim? Is that correct?

The invalid part is Russ wasn't able to finish through or over traffic, and passed up attempts time and time again out of fear of getting blocked. He didn't have the same gravity as an effect, as the defense knew he couldn't elevate. It lead to alot of turnovers. He took easier shots there, so his percentages look good, but he couldn't manufacture the magic he used to at the rim in creating something out of nothing, and it really showed if you watched the games.

I'll explicitly ask again, please answer: do you think this was Westbrooks best year at the rim? If not, what are you arguing?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,948
And1: 3,279
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#32 » by slick_watts » Mon May 6, 2019 2:52 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:So you and kizz think it was Russell Westbrooks best year shooting at the rim? Is that correct?


this is an objective fact.

hardenASG13 wrote:The invalid part is Russ wasn't able to finish through or over traffic, and passed up attempts time and time again


where is your evidence for this? westbrook attempted the same # of shots as a % of total fga as he has in any other year and slightly more than his career average. how could this be if he were passing up attempts at the rim 'time and time again'?
Kizz Fastfists
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,351
And1: 1,304
Joined: Jun 05, 2014
   

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#33 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon May 6, 2019 3:29 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:So you and kizz think it was Russell Westbrooks best year shooting at the rim? Is that correct?

The invalid part is Russ wasn't able to finish through or over traffic, and passed up attempts time and time again out of fear of getting blocked. He didn't have the same gravity as an effect, as the defense knew he couldn't elevate. It lead to alot of turnovers. He took easier shots there, so his percentages look good, but he couldn't manufacture the magic he used to at the rim in creating something out of nothing, and it really showed if you watched the games.

I'll explicitly ask again, please answer: do you think this was Westbrooks best year at the rim? If not, what are you arguing?



Russ shot 65% at the rim. This was his best shooting year at the rim in his career. If you arguing that he is too stupid to know when he should drive and when he shouldn't that is a whole different issue and goes back to his low BBIQ. However, when he shot at the rim, which was over 36% of his shots which is a higher rate than for his career, he shot better than he ever has. His knees are shot so he has less lift, explosiveness, etc. That is why his pathetic excuse for a jumper has gone from bad to pathetic.

His inability to create has nothing to do with his shooting at the rim. It has to do with him not being able to get there as fast and the defense was able to anticipate and cut off the passing lanes. This will only get worse next year. Presti had a short window to trade Russ for a king's ransom and instigate a rebuild with a large chest of assets. He decided to ride out the decline of Russ that everyone who understands career curves, human biology and basketball knew was coming quickly. Presti showed he is a complete failure at evaluating player longevity and how his teams compare to the rest of the league. Presti needs to be fired. A new GM needs to come in and move what can be moved to instigate as fast a rebuild as possible. Whatever team Russ plays for the rest of his career will be more likely to miss the playoffs than make them.
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,680
And1: 323
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#34 » by hardenASG13 » Mon May 6, 2019 6:18 pm

slick_watts wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:So you and kizz think it was Russell Westbrooks best year shooting at the rim? Is that correct?


this is an objective fact.

hardenASG13 wrote:The invalid part is Russ wasn't able to finish through or over traffic, and passed up attempts time and time again


where is your evidence for this? westbrook attempted the same # of shots as a % of total fga as he has in any other year and slightly more than his career average. how could this be if he were passing up attempts at the rim 'time and time again'?


OK, you are sticking with the notion it was his best year at the rim, ignoring (I hope) everything you saw from him this past season. Interesting take!

If you are that rigid in your ability to interpret the validity of the stats you site as objective facts, while completely ignoring whether they are accurately portraying what they are indicating, you really need to step back and analyze your whole viewpoint. You lose a ton of credibility here in my eyes. Being able to determine the validity of any statistic (in this case, was it really his best season at the rim, or are the stats indicating something that wasn't the case, which happens, alot, with statistics! Are you aware of this fact?)

We're done here. CAN play Kanter!
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,948
And1: 3,279
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#35 » by slick_watts » Mon May 6, 2019 7:17 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:If you are that rigid in your ability to interpret the validity of the stats you site as objective facts, while completely ignoring whether they are accurately portraying what they are indicating, you really need to step back and analyze your whole viewpoint.


er, ok. westbrook's fg% at the rim is a measurement of how successful he was at converting attempts there. % of westbrooks fga at the rim is a measurement of how often westbrook attempts these shots. these are objective facts which portray westbrook's productivity at the rim this season.

which objective facts support your position? you already attempted to insinuate he's not getting there as often as before, and we've debunked that.

so what is left is your vague and subjective notion that westbrook turned it over at the rim or passed less at the rim or some other thing. we don't have public tools to evaluate this properly, but we can make some inferences:

1 ) westbrook drove the ball 18.4 times per game this season, about the same as 2017-18 accounting for pace and minutes differences and only slightly less than 2016-17 where he set usage records.

2 ) westbrook passed the ball more often on drives than any season, and turned it over less often since kevin durant left.

3 ) westbrook got fouled less on drives and converted fewer of his free throws.

so to summarize: westbrook shot the ball better than he ever did at the rim, he got to the rim slightly more than he has done so for his career, he drove the ball a similar # of times as he did last season (and way more often than any other year except 2016-17), he passed more often on his drive than before and turned it over less often than before.

that's a lot of objective evidence for westbrook having his best season at the rim. your only hiding place, really, is his FTr and PF%-- he drew fewer fouls and of course made fewer of his free throws. i'd argue that the ft% has nothing to do with this discussion.

so where's your evidence, again? i'm the biggest westbrook critic on this site except for kizz maybe so there's no ulterior motive here. just an acknowledgement of facts.

hardenASG13 wrote:IYou lose a ton of credibility here in my eyes.


oh no.
QPR
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,478
And1: 1,461
Joined: Mar 02, 2011

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#36 » by QPR » Mon May 6, 2019 10:05 pm

Jokic is incredible.
Kizz Fastfists
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,351
And1: 1,304
Joined: Jun 05, 2014
   

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#37 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue May 7, 2019 4:34 am

slick_watts wrote:so where's your evidence, again? i'm the biggest westbrook critic on this site except for kizz maybe so there's no ulterior motive here. just an acknowledgement of facts.


This basically sums it up. The two people who go the hardest after Russ for his faults are defending him. It is unlikely that the two people that most of then board would label as Russ haters would defend him in an area where he was actually bad.
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,680
And1: 323
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#38 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2019 11:41 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
slick_watts wrote:so where's your evidence, again? i'm the biggest westbrook critic on this site except for kizz maybe so there's no ulterior motive here. just an acknowledgement of facts.


This basically sums it up. The two people who go the hardest after Russ for his faults are defending him. It is unlikely that the two people that most of then board would label as Russ haters would defend him in an area where he was actually bad.


He was awful going to the rim this year. This truly shows you will disagree with whatever I say. Pathetic.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,948
And1: 3,279
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#39 » by slick_watts » Tue May 7, 2019 11:57 am

hardenASG13 wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
slick_watts wrote:so where's your evidence, again? i'm the biggest westbrook critic on this site except for kizz maybe so there's no ulterior motive here. just an acknowledgement of facts.


This basically sums it up. The two people who go the hardest after Russ for his faults are defending him. It is unlikely that the two people that most of then board would label as Russ haters would defend him in an area where he was actually bad.


He was awful going to the rim this year.


i checked to see if any of the numbers changed since you said this again, and guess what. they didn't.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 11,805
And1: 9,022
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
 

Re: CAN play Kanter...LMAO 

Post#40 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 7, 2019 1:04 pm

Does the team that scores the most points really win the game or are those declaring victory just manipulating the numbers because they are stat nerds? Especially if my almighty eyeballs tell me otherwise.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder