What if... instead of trading Harden...

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

What if... instead of trading Harden... 

Post#1 » by jambalaya » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:52 am

...in fall of 2012, Presti had traded Westbrook for Lowry and similar package to what he got for Harden (but perhaps more) in July 2012? Assuming Morey would have been interested, would Lowry Harden Martin Durant have done better, stayed together longer? I dunno, but for the record I'll mention it. I don't recall this ever being proposed or discussed at the time or after.

What if Presti had tried to trade Westbrook for Chris Paul in summer of 2011?

Hard to say with these scenarios, but probably would have been close to as good at minimum and maybe better. More 3 point shooting. More defense.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: What if... instead of trading Harden... 

Post#2 » by spearsy23 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:06 am

What if my grandmother had handlebars?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#3 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:39 am

Yep, this has never been discussed.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#4 » by jambalaya » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:02 am

Trading Russ was discussed some, including by me. Early, though I don't recall how early. Probably by time of Harden trade, maybe well before. But as I said, I don't recall anyone specifically suggesting trading for Lowry or Paul. And yet they are probably among the most likely ways the Thunder could have gotten a title. You know, the main point of this whole enterprise.

Drafting Giannis or Jokic or something buig like that could have made the difference but that would have been more speculative. Lowry was just coming into his own but was good and getting better and available in 2012. Paul was known and available in 2011.

Not intending a major discussion. Just noting some of the best available paths available but not taken. To close the chapter.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:45 am

There was a line of thinking at the time of the trade by some that Russ should have been traded because the return would have been better and there were a lot more quality PGs than SGs in the league. The primary argument was the drop from Russ to "lesser" PG would have been less of a drop than Harden to a "lesser" SG. Based on the lack of quality SGs in the NBA today compared to PGs you can make a strong argument that the theory could have been sound. However, since we do not know what offers would have been for Russ it is hard to say for certain.

It is possible that the PG acquired to replace Russ would have been Ty Lawson, who was very good at the time, but was irrelevant just a few years later. So it is all speculation. Chris Paul wouldn't have been an option as the whole point was to cut payroll and Paul was on a max.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#6 » by Balkman32 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:38 pm

@ the end of the day they shouldn't have traded Harden. End of story. They should have gave him his 4 years 60 million and told him to enjoy OKC for the next 5 years because he ain't goin no where. It was a preemptive move that backfired so bad. A 6th man can play 30+ minutes a game, they also could have moved him into the starting line up. These guys shared a special bond, Presti saw an opportunity to build with reinforcements to add to Durant and Westbrook rather than riding with these guy (Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka and KD). Its a dam shame. The 30 for 30 will absolutely suck.

Paul and Lowery could have helped the team, but they were gonna get paid earlier than Russ. If they kept Harden, they 100% have a championship.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder