Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,239

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#441 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 pm

psychpsych wrote:

I agree also, I may sound like a homer but despite Westbrook sometimes being the guy on the Rockets, especially when Harden isn't great like Lowe mentioned, I think the fact they usually lose during this says a lot.

I also don't think Harden should be a starter for the All-Star team, but that just may be recency bias on my part.

Welcome to the boards. Russ has I been pretty good the last few games. We’ll see if it lasts.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#442 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 am

Read on Twitter

Serious question: Does nonsense like this happen in the other major sports leagues in the US as well? This obsession with social media and making a spectacle out of everything is repugnant. The fool has two guys filiming him with the sole purpose of him uploading a video of his "spontaneous" reaction. Ridiculous.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#443 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Trae Young has always struck me as a bit of a brat going back to his days in college.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,101

Post#444 » by slick_watts » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:09 pm

diallo's tendencies on fast breaks really bug me. i have been collecting some clips from games i watched. there could be more. he is bizarrely stubborn.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#445 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:48 pm

slick_watts wrote:diallo's tendencies on fast breaks really bug me. i have been collecting some clips from games i watched. there could be more. he is bizarrely stubborn.

I believe it was the Toronto game that he rushed the ball up court while surrounded by 3-4 Raptors and got picked clean from behind. I think it was Old Man Game that said it looks like he releases his shot on the way down from his jump. If he needs to be used as filler in a deal, I'm more than willing.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#446 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Yeah something about diallo rubs me the wrong way. I love the energy he brings and the athleticism obviously. But I think he needs to get over himself to an extent. Sort of has the attitude of a marquee player when he clearly is not.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#447 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:44 pm

slick_watts wrote:diallo's tendencies on fast breaks really bug me. i have been collecting some clips from games i watched. there could be more. he is bizarrely stubborn.

That one against the Spurs is an all timer. 1 on 3 straight into the teeth of the defense.

Diallo is probably in the top 3-5% in the entire NBA in athletic ability and bottom 10-20% is almost any other category that one could look at.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#448 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:00 pm

The most relevant takeaway from this to me is: They didn't retire Melo's jersey and gave the rookie his number? That's a disgrace.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:02 pm

Diallo is a poor man's Derrick Jones Jr.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#450 » by slick_watts » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:37 pm

update. bpm 2.0.

Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#451 » by Thunder Up » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Trae is booty
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,513

Post#452 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:11 pm

Pillendreher wrote:[Serious question: Does nonsense like this happen in the other major sports leagues in the US as well? This obsession with social media and making a spectacle out of everything is repugnant. The fool has two guys filiming him with the sole purpose of him uploading a video of his "spontaneous" reaction. Ridiculous.

Some of the NFL kids do it. MLB doesn't have the problem because the minors beat that crap out of the kids so they are generally more mature when they get to the majors. I have no clue about the NHL.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:[Serious question: Does nonsense like this happen in the other major sports leagues in the US as well? This obsession with social media and making a spectacle out of everything is repugnant. The fool has two guys filiming him with the sole purpose of him uploading a video of his "spontaneous" reaction. Ridiculous.

Some of the NFL kids do it. MLB doesn't have the problem because the minors beat that crap out of the kids so they are generally more mature when they get to the majors. I have no clue about the NHL.

Even in the nfl, I would say WR’s take the lead. Most successful QB aren’t infatuated with themselves on social media like Antonio Brown.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#454 » by slick_watts » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:50 pm

i think it's dumb but not necessarily a problem. these players are in their early 20's lol.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#455 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:21 pm

slick_watts wrote:i think it's dumb but not necessarily a problem. these players are in their early 20's lol.

Also, like, why do we care? Guys don't have to obsessively be in the gym every waking minute. And if they wanna IG their workouts, it's not like I have to watch.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#456 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Yesterday was the two year anniversary since Dre’s injury.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,222

Post#457 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Yesterday was the two year anniversary since Dre’s injury.

It's so underrated how this injury changed a lot of our recent history...

Roberson was able to compensate Melo's trash defense. Don't think we would have won the title because Durant was in Gs but...we were really good before his injury :(
psychpsych
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#458 » by psychpsych » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Serious question: Does nonsense like this happen in the other major sports leagues in the US as well? This obsession with social media and making a spectacle out of everything is repugnant. The fool has two guys filiming him with the sole purpose of him uploading a video of his "spontaneous" reaction. Ridiculous.

As the other person mentioned, it depends on the person for American Football players (see the Cleveland Browns last year with Baker, but generally they are complete nutjobs like Antonio Brown or former players using it as a job like Pat McAfee) and are often crapped on if they don't perform like the browns and even some Ravens, MLB has new players go through the meat grinder that is the minors where they learn the unwritten rules of Baseball and the NHL generally does not have this sort of thing given that the makeup of the players is far more European than North American and they bring the different sporting culture that European sports have outside of the top leagues of Football. See Doncic's and Antetokounmpo's twitter for this even in the NBA.

The only other American sport that markets players social media activities as heavily is probably the UFC, which has been criticized for it also. Interestingly, the CFL actually wants players to be like this given how they split screen and mic up fan favorites despite most of them just wanting to play Canadian Football. But, I do think that this is intentionally marketed, given how heavily social media users pay attention to player movement rather than actual regular season games and this may be to blame for some of the ratings issue, but there's obviously other factors for that.

Anyway, the Mavs game was obviously disappointing given how hot the team was but due to Kobe's death I didn't really care. Even if the refs were letting the Mavs getting away with murder. Our schedule is soft anyway so if Presti keeps/adds to this core they should be fine.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#459 » by jambalaya » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 am

Recently on twitter:

@AndrewKSchlecht
Without Chris Paul this was always going to be a tough one to get.
The Thunder have 12 positive net rating 5 man lineups that have played at least 25 minutes
Chris Paul is in 8 of those.
He is crucial to the success of this team

My replies:

As of today on B-Ref SGA is in 5 of the 10 positive in the top 20 (over 24 minutes & change) and is in 10 of 10 of the non-positive. https://basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2020/lineups/ Crucial or no?
2019-20 Oklahoma City Thunder Team Lineups | Basketball-Reference.com
Team Season Lineups
basketball-reference.com

Paul also in 6 of 10 of the non-positive. They are lots of places, good and not. But there is some difference between them.

Schroder in 10 of 10 positive, 4 of 10 of the non-positive. Best of the 3. Crucial?

Ferguson 3 pos / 5 neg, Bazley 1 pos / 4 neg, Diallo 4/ 2. Gallinari 6 / 6. Noel 3 / 4. Adams 4 /4.

Nader 0 /3. Muscala 3/2. Minutes of lineups vary and are important of course.

Paul & SGA 3-6. Paul & Schroder 7-0. Schroder & SGA 7-4. All 3 4-0. Just one of them, not tried over 25 minutes.

So all of Schroder's and all of Paul's non-positives are with SGA.

So if / when Thunder move on from Paul and Schroder and rely on SGA without them...

Could say: SGA will improve and he may, but by this method he was in fewer positive 20 most used lineups and way more non-positive ones compared to last season with Clippers. I'd call that slippage.

Paul without Schroder 1-6.

"saddled" with SGA in those. But Paul crucial? Not without Schroder.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#460 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:08 pm

i'm not moved much by lu dort's shooting outburst, but he has been showing some interesting chops on defense. for someone as thicc as he is, he certainly moves his feet well. against the kings he was moving them too well a few times defending fox, giving up too much ground because he was just moving his feet too quickly. fox would just decelerate and make an easy six footer. after a few plays of this dort got his body on fox off the screen and he couldn't go anywhere. he's drawn 13 offensive fouls in 291 minutes-- a rate almost 3x greater than flopper extraordinaire marcus smart.

he's an interesting player. it might say more about the quality of our young guys that dort is so interesting than it does about dort himself but getting even a rotation guy as udfa would be a nice find.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder