2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,321

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#481 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:21 pm

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#482 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:52 pm

Well this was unexpected-
5. Darius Bazley has a chance
I don't have a ton to work with here. Bazley is shooting 30% from deep and 45% on 2s for Oklahoma City. He has 39 turnovers and 28 assists. It is really hard for a rotation player -- especially a non-center -- to record so few dimes.

But there is something about Bazley. The rookie moves his feet on defense. He changes direction without conceding momentum. He seems to read the game -- to rotate without falling behind, pausing to figure out his next move, or zipping to the wrong place.

Combine all that with a 7-foot wingspan, and you have the ingredients for an interesting multipositional defender. It is hard to drive around Bazley when he arrives on time, arms spread wide.

He's also a smart cutter on offense, with a knack for anticipating when an alleyway will open.

Teaching feel is harder than teaching skill. I am always intrigued by rookies who show an early foundation of feel.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28585379/eleven-nba-things-right-now
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#483 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 1, 2020 1:19 pm

Is it just me or does Dort look a little heavier now than here? Either way, to have his build at such a young age is impressive. If he puts in the work, he's going to be a monster as he gets even stronger.

Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#484 » by Thunder Up » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:37 pm

Gotta go at least 3-2, preferably 4-1 in this last five games coming up
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#485 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 1, 2020 8:04 pm

I know Royce's comments need to be taken with a grain of salt but I heard him on the radio this week discussing Donovan's future. Of course local media is practically calling for a lifetime deal but Royce said that he wasn't sure if Donovan was interested in staying around for a rebuild. He talked about how he agreed to take a job with two superstars and has had plenty of stars to work with. He might not be interested in developing players coming out of college, especially since he backed out of the Magic job. Obviously the station is different when you are comparing leaving a good college job for a the Magic or Thunder vs leaving OKC for something unknown.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,315

Post#486 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:15 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I know Royce's comments need to be taken with a grain of salt but I heard him on the radio this week discussing Donovan's future. Of course local media is practically calling for a lifetime deal but Royce said that he wasn't sure if Donovan was interested in staying around for a rebuild. He talked about how he agreed to take a job with two superstars and has had plenty of stars to work with. He might not be interested in developing players coming out of college, especially since he backed out of the Magic job. Obviously the station is different when you are comparing leaving a good college job for a the Magic or Thunder vs leaving OKC for something unknown.

I don't know if he's a good coach but he's definitely not good when it comes to manage superstars NBA players.

Not worried at all about Donovan's future. I still don't like him but think he may be better when it comes to manage a young rebulding team.

A bit off topic but I'm more worried about Presti's future in OKC. If the Knicks really want him, it's going to be tough to keep Presti. Not that I think he's the best GM (he made some terrible trades) but I trust him when it comes to manage all our future picks/young assets.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,539

Post#487 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:35 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I'm more worried about Presti's future in OKC. If the Knicks really want him, it's going to be tough to keep Presti. Not that I think he's the best GM (he made some terrible trades) but I trust him when it comes to manage all our future picks/young assets.

Presti laughed the last time the Knicks called and he'll do it again. No established GM is going to take the NYK job until they get new ownership that isn't actively hurting the team and making decisions behind their back.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#488 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:51 am

If Sam is dumb enough to work for Dolan, it’s probably for the best that he moves on.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,294

Post#489 » by Old Man Game » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:49 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Is it just me or does Dort look a little heavier now than here? Either way, to have his build at such a young age is impressive. If he puts in the work, he's going to be a monster as he gets even stronger.

Definitely appears to be one of those dudes that doesn't have trouble putting on muscle. Could be a monster at age 25 - 27.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#490 » by spearsy23 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:04 am

Being built like that at 18 is insane.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#491 » by Old Man Game » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:05 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I know Royce's comments need to be taken with a grain of salt but I heard him on the radio this week discussing Donovan's future. Of course local media is practically calling for a lifetime deal but Royce said that he wasn't sure if Donovan was interested in staying around for a rebuild. He talked about how he agreed to take a job with two superstars and has had plenty of stars to work with. He might not be interested in developing players coming out of college, especially since he backed out of the Magic job. Obviously the station is different when you are comparing leaving a good college job for a the Magic or Thunder vs leaving OKC for something unknown.
Sounds like aimless speculation to me. To my recollection Royce has never actually broken anything on the sports animal. If he had anything concrete on that he'd have a story up on ESPN.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#492 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:15 pm

Nerlens Noel has a true shooting percentage of 72.6 which is basically leading the league aside from a few low minute guys.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#493 » by Pillendreher » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:24 pm

He can't seriously be deluded enough to think that coaching a non-contender is beneath him, can he?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#494 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:28 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

He can't seriously be deluded enough to think that coaching a non-contender is beneath him, can he?

As OMG said, I think it’s just more aimless speculation. I’ve heard multiple media sources say he doesn’t want to go back to the college game because of recruiting. Even if he did think it were beneath him, where else is he going to go?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#495 » by slick_watts » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:45 pm

i don't blame donovan if he doesn't want to stick around for a bottoming out rebuild. who would want to? in oklahoma? he'd probably have better options available to him, perhaps even closer to his family.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#496 » by slick_watts » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:47 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Nerlens Noel has a true shooting percentage of 72.6 which is basically leading the league aside from a few low minute guys.

noel and schroder have been unexpected contributors. noel was decent last year but he's taken a leap it seems. it's harder to explain schroder, who has passed chris paul on eFG%.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#497 » by Old Man Game » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:50 pm

slick_watts wrote:i don't blame donovan if he doesn't want to stick around for a bottoming out rebuild. who would want to? in oklahoma? he'd probably have better options available to him, perhaps even closer to his family.

He's established himself enough at this point that he could probably get another NBA job. At most he might have to sit out a year and do a TV gig like his buddy Urban Meyer does between NCAA violations/scandals.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:30 pm

slick_watts wrote:i don't blame donovan if he doesn't want to stick around for a bottoming out rebuild. who would want to? in oklahoma? he'd probably have better options available to him, perhaps even closer to his family.

In the nba? What job is better and closer to family? I don’t think he’s regarded highly enough to get a situation like Budenholzer got with Milwaukee. Charlotte and the Washington might be more desirable cities for him but is their situation that much better than a rebuilding okc? New Orleans might be his ideal destination but i dont know that he would walk away from a job with the hopes of getting it.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#499 » by jambalaya » Sun Feb 2, 2020 9:26 pm

Young Thunder player "true talent projections:

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Ignore the first graph. Don't know to remove/

Dort too new to be included yet.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#500 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:02 pm

With the much better season than expected, do the Thunder make a move before the trade deadline to see if they can make some noise in the post season?

Or keep those assets and bide their time?

Obviously Chirs Paul is a big part of the season they're having so far. So maybe the window of opportunity is now?

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder