2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, ThunderBolt

User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,282
And1: 10,992
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#821 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:31 am

It kind of looks like we've finally reached the end for Ferguson.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,304
And1: 3,605
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#822 » by Old Man Game » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:It kind of looks like we've finally reached the end for Ferguson.


It's rough. He's still just 21. But it just feels like his career is just treading water at the moment. I think he either makes a leap next year or he's probably out of the league/occasional 10 day guy the season after. Just speculating here but it seems like his family/off court stuff (child custody case) have probably not helped anything.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,304
And1: 3,605
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#823 » by Old Man Game » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:49 pm

spearsy23 wrote:I think your best case for bazley is something like prime nic batum, and that would be fantastic.


Donovan had a quote the other day (before the game that Nerlens was suspended for for missing the covid test) that they think Bazley might eventually be able to be a sort of utility player, even small ball center, which would be really interesting considering the guy can put it on the floor a bit.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,282
And1: 10,992
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#824 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:00 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:It kind of looks like we've finally reached the end for Ferguson.


It's rough. He's still just 21. But it just feels like his career is just treading water at the moment. I think he either makes a leap next year or he's probably out of the league/occasional 10 day guy the season after. Just speculating here but it seems like his family/off court stuff (child custody case) have probably not helped anything.


He still has a deer in the headlights look a lot of times. I suspect he has to know that things aren't going well and with each foul, turnover and missed shot, his confidence continues to decline. I know he's still young but every Bazley and Dort have made more progress in a few months than he's made in three years, and Bazley and Dort aren't even good yet.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,421
And1: 1,796
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#825 » by getrichordie » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:40 pm

Yeah, this comes as no surprise that Ferguson is looking like he has one foot out of the door... maybe he can go back to the NBL, wrap up and compartmentalize the off-court stuff and improve his shot and handles and work his way back to the NBA.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,738
And1: 47,691
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#826 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:53 pm

I haven't said anything but the idea that Bazley might be better than Shai is wild. If he ever has a year as good as Brandon Clarke just had its a massive improvement.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,421
And1: 1,796
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#827 » by getrichordie » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:58 am

You even said it was wild when I said Grant is going to be good role player for us. Hell, everyone thought Grant was going to amount to nothing. I was the only one saying to give Grant time and watch what he can become...

I was also the guy who advocated for trading for Dinwiddie the season before he started getting noticed. People thought I was crazy...

I also was first to point out that Westbrook is declining while many just thought he was having shooting struggles. I pointed to his legs and many thought that it was a non-issue.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,738
And1: 47,691
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#828 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:17 am

lol no.

I'm really not sure if you read this place. You also advocated trading for multiple crap players.

Edit: I'm cutting out the actual examples but people here know you. The takes have been the worst on the forum for a long time

So yeah if you're going on that card that's not a great idea.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,421
And1: 1,796
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#829 » by getrichordie » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:44 am

bondom34 wrote:lol no.

I'm really not sure if you read this place. You also advocated trading for multiple crap players.

Edit: I'm cutting out the actual examples but people here know you. The takes have been the worst on the forum for a long time

So yeah if you're going on that card that's not a great idea.


Please do point out the crap players I wanted to trade for.

We've all had bad takes, sure. I'm sure you have yours too, bondom.

Worst on the forum, eh? Lol. You mean takes that you disagree with?
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,738
And1: 47,691
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#830 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:47 am

getrichordie wrote:
bondom34 wrote:lol no.

I'm really not sure if you read this place. You also advocated trading for multiple crap players.

Edit: I'm cutting out the actual examples but people here know you. The takes have been the worst on the forum for a long time

So yeah if you're going on that card that's not a great idea.


Please do point out the crap players I wanted to trade for.

We've all had bad takes, sure. I'm sure you have yours too, bondom.

Worst on the forum, eh? Lol. You mean takes that you disagree with?

Edit: You know what, sorry. It's not worth doing this over
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,738
And1: 47,691
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#831 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:54 am

Oh fine a few, took 2 minutes.

Edit: not posting them on second thought. Its not worth it but the search function works man. And if you're gonna brag on a few things you get right, that's a weird one. Everyone gets stuff wrong but most don't take victory laps when some of these were just bad examples.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,738
And1: 47,691
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#832 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:07 am

getrichordie wrote:
bondom34 wrote:lol no.

I'm really not sure if you read this place. You also advocated trading for multiple crap players.

Edit: I'm cutting out the actual examples but people here know you. The takes have been the worst on the forum for a long time

So yeah if you're going on that card that's not a great idea.


Please do point out the crap players I wanted to trade for.

We've all had bad takes, sure. I'm sure you have yours too, bondom.

Worst on the forum, eh? Lol. You mean takes that you disagree with?

Quoting again, that wasn't nice and apologies. It's not because we disagree. I disagree with plenty of people but the lack of logic is infuriating and that's what's being called out

Leaving it there, sorry if it was rude.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,304
And1: 3,605
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#833 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:48 pm

Speaking of Clarke and Bazley, I hadn't really considered this, but now that his name has been brought up, I hope this isn't another Perry Jones (young guy with AAU pedigree/accolades) over Draymond Green (4 year college player, presumed little upside, fact he could play ignored) situation where we look back for years and regret it.

I don't think it'll be that bad because I don't think Clark is ever an all star but seems like the potential exists for a similar sort of fact pattern having us beating our heads against the well for years to come.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,282
And1: 10,992
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#834 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:28 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Speaking of Clarke and Bazley, I hadn't really considered this, but now that his name has been brought up, I hope this isn't another Perry Jones (young guy with AAU pedigree/accolades) over Draymond Green (4 year college player, presumed little upside, fact he could play ignored) situation where we look back for years and regret it.

I don't think it'll be that bad because I don't think Clark is ever an all star but seems like the potential exists for a similar sort of fact pattern having us beating our heads against the well for years to come.

It really was such an odd decision at the time considering we still had Russ and PG on the team. The more seasoned rookie made sense.Its kind of hard to even make the argument that the front office just loved Bazley or they wouldn't have taken the risk of losing him when trading down. I'm not as down on Bazley as others but its a hard decision to defend if we believe what Presti says that he didn't know George wanted to leave until he got the call a few days before the trade.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,421
And1: 1,796
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#835 » by getrichordie » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:28 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Speaking of Clarke and Bazley, I hadn't really considered this, but now that his name has been brought up, I hope this isn't another Perry Jones (young guy with AAU pedigree/accolades) over Draymond Green (4 year college player, presumed little upside, fact he could play ignored) situation where we look back for years and regret it.

I don't think it'll be that bad because I don't think Clark is ever an all star but seems like the potential exists for a similar sort of fact pattern having us beating our heads against the well for years to come.


Keep in mind that the decision was made to pick Bazley over Clarke BEFORE George and Westbrook were traded.

I think we will be singing a different tune about Clarke in a couple of years. He was never a good 3-point shooter at college level and isn't one now.

Yeah, he's hitting 38% but that's on 1.1 attempt a game. His FT% isn't great either. I think Bazley has shown he has significantly more upside than Clarke.

Clarke came in more polished, so it's not surprising he's doing better than a lot of younger players. We've seen this story before. Older guy comes in and is ready to contribute and looks better than younger guy. A few years later, the younger guy makes the team that drafted him look smart.

In regards to Green, a lot of people will tell you that he really isn't a great fit with a lot of teams. He certainly wouldn't have been a great fit for us.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,795
And1: 7,230
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#836 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:32 pm

getrichordie wrote:I also was first to point out that Westbrook is declining while many just thought he was having shooting struggles. I pointed to his legs and many thought that it was a non-issue.

Uh.......
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,304
And1: 3,605
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#837 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:54 pm

Billy winning Coach of the Year in his first year without having to coach the personification of a square peg in a round hole, Rusell Westbrook, must be pretty sweat for him on a personal level.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,282
And1: 10,992
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#838 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:05 pm

Read on Twitter


So basically Russ is playing really good somewhere else and Billy wins COY without him.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,304
And1: 3,605
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#839 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:26 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter


So basically Russ is playing really good somewhere else and Billy wins COY without him.


It really seems like the change was good for everyone involved. Russ needed to get a new dynamic and Billdoh finally got to do his thing without worrying about managing personalities.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,282
And1: 10,992
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 

Post#840 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder