Re: Game 5 OKC VS Portland Trail Blazers 10/30 8PM CST 

Post#21 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 am

not playing good basketball but still best game from CP3 as a Thunder
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#22 » by NaturalThunder » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:24 am

On the bright side, 3 of our 5 games have been against teams likely to finish in the top 4 of the WC and we nearly won all 3 games. We've played another game against a team that might make the playoffs (Warriors) and beat them like a drum.

And then there's that one loss to maybe the worst team in the NBA.

But yeah, this is JUST good enough to play good teams close but, 80%-90% of the time, we'll lose to them.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#23 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:24 am

And shai’s worst. I dont know why he kept forcing the issue inside so much tonight. It felt like he got blocked half a dozen times. I don’t really care that we lose but billy is a joke.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#24 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:24 am

I like how Billy's defensive game plan is still to give up as many corner threes as possible.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:27 am

So we need a three and billy leaves Diallo in the game for an offensive possession.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#26 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:28 am

I thought this year was going to be fun, but Paul looking washed, Ferguson taking a step back, Dennis hijacking the offense, and Steventurning into Paul shirley really puts a damper on things. That leaves shai and Gallo as the only things worth watching. Need to get rid of the old guys asap, get ferg back to the 2, and just start bazley.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,137

Post#27 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:28 am

Billy Donovan is the real tank commander!
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 am

I would be ok going with noel over Adams for now until Adams remember how to play basketball. If we can ship out Adams and Paul, I would be ok with keeping nerlens around on a fair contract too.

I don’t really care about the loss. It would be nice if a knowledgeable coach could have told they he wasn’t going to get the scoop shot against Whiteside and the rest or Portland packing the paint. Try another move.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#29 » by Old Man Game » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:10 am

Lot of stubbornness from SGA tonight. That's what I'm most afraid of him developing bad habits on this seemingly rudderless ship.

Also, I was under no illusion that CP3 was what he once was, but that said, I'm still amazed how little he stands out out there. I thought he'd be like a coach on the floor and really be able to get something going in terms of organizing our sets. But he looks as lost as everyone else.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#30 » by jambalaya » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:44 am

Plays look ragged and break down quicker than many other teams I've been watching.

No way Donovan deserves an extension, though Presti being Presti, he might get one. Perhaps for 1-2 more tank years.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#31 » by Old Man Game » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 am

jambalaya wrote:Plays look ragged and break down quicker than many other teams I've been watching.

No way Donovan deserves an extension, though Presti being Presti, he might get one. Perhaps for 1-2 more tank years.

Yeah, this was supposed to be Billdoh's big chance to prove he could coach in this league. So far the results are not promising. Team looks very lost and disjointed in its offensive sets.
sleestak33
Junior
And1: 150

Post#32 » by sleestak33 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:01 pm

35 minutes from Ferguson and 2 points. In OKC's 3 losses he scored 0. This team reminds me of a fly continuing to bang into a window over and over because he's just too stupid to figure out another option. Meanwhile Jeremy Lamb is starting for Indiana and had 25 points last night. Had our GM kept Lamb like he should have we might actually have something right now. But yeah...keep starting Ferguson. He's REALLY good.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:09 pm

sleestak33 wrote:35 minutes from Ferguson and 2 points. In OKC's 3 losses he scored 0. This team reminds me of a fly continuing to bang into a window over and over because he's just too stupid to figure out another option. Meanwhile Jeremy Lamb is starting for Indiana and had 25 points last night. Had our GM kept Lamb like he should have we might actually have something right now. But yeah...keep starting Ferguson. He's REALLY good.

You are blaming the wrong problem.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,566

Post#34 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:24 pm

So Donovan quickly managed to make even a CP3 led offense look bad? That's impressive.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#35 » by Pillendreher » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:44 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:So Donovan quickly managed to make even a CP3 led offense look bad? That's impressive.

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
sleestak33
Junior
And1: 150

Post#36 » by sleestak33 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:30 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
sleestak33 wrote:35 minutes from Ferguson and 2 points. In OKC's 3 losses he scored 0. This team reminds me of a fly continuing to bang into a window over and over because he's just too stupid to figure out another option. Meanwhile Jeremy Lamb is starting for Indiana and had 25 points last night. Had our GM kept Lamb like he should have we might actually have something right now. But yeah...keep starting Ferguson. He's REALLY good.

In OKC's 4 losses Ferguson has scored a total of 2 points. How are they supposed to win games starting somebody like this at small forward? You're not winning games playing 4 against 5 on offense for over 20 minutes per game.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:38 am

sleestak33 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

In OKC's 4 losses Ferguson has scored a total of 2 points. How are they supposed to win games starting somebody like this at small forward? You're not winning games playing 4 against 5 on offense for over 20 minutes per game.

Do you think Jeremy Lamb would be scoring 25 points for this team? Do you think Dennis Schroder would pass him the ball?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#38 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:21 pm

sleestak33 wrote:In OKC's 4 losses Ferguson has scored a total of 2 points. How are they supposed to win games starting somebody like this at small forward? You're not winning games playing 4 against 5 on offense for over 20 minutes per game.

It is what Presti wants. Presti also wants a coach that costs the team games. If you still don't understand who the problem is might I suggest a critical thinking course at a community college.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#39 » by spearsy23 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
sleestak33 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:You are blaming the wrong problem.

Do you think Jeremy Lamb would be scoring 25 points for this team? Do you think Dennis Schroder would pass him the ball?

This is obviously a valid point, but lamb would've taken it upon himself to get some shots up. There needs to be some middle ground between the Dion 'I'm getting my shots up even if I'm taking them from Kevin Durant" and ferg just fading into the background. It's tough to develop a 3/D guy on a bad team, because you don't want him to just start gunning and you don't have the type of players that get him easy looks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:25 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
sleestak33 wrote:

This is obviously a valid point, but lamb would've taken it upon himself to get some shots up. There needs to be some middle ground between the Dion 'I'm getting my shots up even if I'm taking them from Kevin Durant" and ferg just fading into the background. It's tough to develop a 3/D guy on a bad team, because you don't want him to just start gunning and you don't have the type of players that get him easy looks.

I don't know how to divvy up the blame percentages. Ferguson is too passive at times and doesn't appear to have developed any basketball skills outside of hitting open shots. It would just be nice to develop some decent role players on favorable contracts. The ideal situation for OKC is that we re-sign him for cheap and he finally pops next year.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder