2019-2020 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: 2019-2020 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#861 » by spearsy23 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:38 pm

thor19 wrote:talking about ben simmons if the sixers make him available in a trade would you trade our picks to get him lets say three picks and cp3 and two seconds for ben ?

I'd trade 8 picks for that deal.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#862 » by slick_watts » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:38 pm

thor19 wrote:talking about ben simmons if the sixers make him available in a trade would you trade our picks to get him lets say three picks and cp3 and two seconds for ben ?

abso-freaking-lutely.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#863 » by getrichordie » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:39 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:You mean a sign and trade or are you saying once we sign him then look for a suitor after he becomes eligible for a trade?

I'm saying that either/or has a high percentage chance of happening.

I’m not interested in the latter. I suspect trading for value at a later time is what Cleveland thought would happen with kevin love’s extension.

Big difference between an ~$30M player (who is acting like a diva) and a ~$20M player (who has so far been the consummate professional.)

For the sake of argument, let's say we let Gallinari walk. How do you plan on addressing the hole at the 4? Personally, my philosophy is we should have some vets/high-charachter guys in place while we let our young guys develop in the wings.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#864 » by Thunder Up » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:39 pm

if he figured out how to shoot a basketball, or the Thunder didn't have Adams anymore then sure
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#865 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:41 pm

Thunder Up wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Thunder Up wrote:
Beal was borderline. Hell, maybe even Klay could be considered borderline. Basically every single player who received a third place vote is borderline all-nba by your definition of borderline. borderline. border. line.

Ah yes, such awful players as Bradley Beal and Klay Thompson.

Guys who received quadruple and more than double the votes.
Gobert is a top 10 player in the NBA by the way

OK, he might be like 10-15 but that's about right. And yeah, that's more or less a fairly common thing to say.

Guys who got more votes made the team, that's how voting works.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#866 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:42 pm

Yes, whatever they want.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#867 » by getrichordie » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:42 pm

Thunder Up wrote:

if he figured out how to shoot a basketball, or the Thunder didn't have Adams anymore then sure

I do not want to go back to a point guard that can't space the floor.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#868 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:46 pm

getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
I'm saying that either/or has a high percentage chance of happening.

I’m not interested in the latter. I suspect trading for value at a later time is what Cleveland thought would happen with kevin love’s extension.

Big difference between an ~$30M player (who is acting like a diva) and a ~$20M player (who has so far been the consummate professional.)

For the sake of argument, let's say we let Gallinari walk. How do you plan on addressing the hole at the 4? Personally, my philosophy is we should have some vets/high-charachter guys in place while we let our young guys develop in the wings.

No one isn’t not trading for Love because he’s unhappy there. Gallo’s contract wouldn’t be as bad as love’s but if he starts having negative injuries, it becomes a negative contract very quickly. It was viewed as a bad one two years ago when he missed so many games.

It’s a little early to start coming up with ideas for addressing the four for next year. Bazley should be a little better and get more minutes. We don’t know what we’ll do with our draft picks yet. I’m ok for having some vets around but we don’t need a vet at every position to mentor each young guy. With shai starting year three, I’m in favor of using some of our assets to get a young player to pair with him.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#869 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:49 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Thunder Up wrote:

I would do it. Simmons can’t shoot but he doesn’t jack up 7 threes a game and plays great defense. It could be compensated for but I agree that Adams would need to go. The roster would need to be built like the bucks have done with Giannis.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#870 » by getrichordie » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:52 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m not interested in the latter. I suspect trading for value at a later time is what Cleveland thought would happen with kevin love’s extension.

No one isn’t not trading for Love because he’s unhappy there. Gallo’s contract wouldn’t be as bad as love’s but if he starts having negative injuries, it becomes a negative contract very quickly. It was viewed as a bad one two years ago when he missed so many games.

It’s a little early to start coming up with ideas for addressing the four for next year. Bazley should be a little better and get more minutes. We don’t know what we’ll do with our draft picks yet. I’m ok for having some vets around but we don’t need a vet at every position to mentor each young guy. With shai starting year three, I’m in favor of using some of our assets to get a young player to pair with him.

Yeah, it's a little early, but I think you have to think that far ahead when running a franchise and making decisions. Your viewpoint is definitely fair. This draft isn't very good and I believe there will be some interesting options at the 4 in FA. I wouldn't be opposed to letting Gallo walk. Hell, we could always bring back Grant :nod:

Also, has anyone addressed the luxury tax issue? Aren't we something like ~700K away from ducking the luxury tax. Surely, we are going to make a small move to get under, right?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#871 » by getrichordie » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Thunder Up wrote:

I would do it. Simmons can’t shoot but he doesn’t jack up 7 threes a game and plays great defense. It could be compensated for but I agree that Adams would need to go. The roster would need to be built like the bucks have done with Giannis.

Admittedly, I haven't been able to watch him much as of recent. Russ had at least a solid mid-range game for a good bit of his tenure while with the Thunder. Does Simmons even have that or is he mostly just muscle-ing (sp?) his way into the paint?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#872 » by slick_watts » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:57 pm

getrichordie wrote:Also, has anyone addressed the luxury tax issue? Aren't we something like ~700K away from ducking the luxury tax. Surely, we are going to make a small move to get under, right?

they'll go deeper into the tax when they convert lu dort's contract, which seems likely to happen. he has to be getting close to the 45 day limit. the only way they'd be able to get under is doing something with andre roberson. figuring out a buyout that gets him to leave money on the table or whatever. barring that, it seems tax wasn't a big priority. especially since they did the patton-roby trade a couple weeks ago.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#873 » by getrichordie » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:03 am

slick_watts wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Also, has anyone addressed the luxury tax issue? Aren't we something like ~700K away from ducking the luxury tax. Surely, we are going to make a small move to get under, right?

they'll go deeper into the tax when they convert lu dort's contract, which seems likely to happen. he has to be getting close to the 45 day limit. the only way they'd be able to get under is doing something with andre roberson. figuring out a buyout that gets him to leave money on the table or whatever. barring that, it seems tax wasn't a big priority. especially since they did the patton-roby trade a couple weeks ago.

Okay. I heard somewhere that OKC wanted to avoid the repeater tax, but that really only becomes fiscally significant if we are deep into the tax, correct?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#874 » by Balkman32 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:51 am

There might be an injury exception for Andre where they can remove his salary from the final books.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#875 » by getrichordie » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:59 am

Balkman32 wrote:There might be an injury exception for Andre where they can remove his salary from the final books.

What kind of injury exception can do that?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,137

Post#876 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:49 am

Glad u are back for some discussion/trash talk Bondom...just kidding ;)

It's a frustrating day as a Thunder fan and I get it. I know most casual are happy we stand pat but it's clearly not the best direction for our team. However, I think it's important to take into account that we didn't know what offers were offered for our players and that the market looked really bad with only a couple of teams willing to give up some value (mainly Houston tbh).

That being said, we knew it was going to be a slow processo and we are still doing very well.SGA is living up to the expectations (still unclear what his celling is) and one of Dort/Bazley could become a good player. If CP3 keeps playing like this I don't think we will need to trade multiple assets to trade him, while we may have a chance to trade Schroeder for positive value in the offseason (dude was garbage and a net negative before the season started).

Most of our good unprotected picks are in the 2022-2026 range so I guess they will have more value in 1-2 years.

But yeah, Presti has a lot of work to do in the summer. We can't repeat what we are doing this season (even if we are a fun team to watch).
Thunder Up
Senior

Post#877 » by Thunder Up » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:09 am

getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Admittedly, I haven't been able to watch him much as of recent. Russ had at least a solid mid-range game for a good bit of his tenure while with the Thunder. Does Simmons even have that or is he mostly just muscle-ing (sp?) his way into the paint?

He has zero jump shot from anywhere on the floor, and lacks regular aggression.... regardless of his length and athleticism is very easy to guard once playoff basketball comes around
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#878 » by getrichordie » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:26 am

Thunder Up wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I would do it. Simmons can’t shoot but he doesn’t jack up 7 threes a game and plays great defense. It could be compensated for but I agree that Adams would need to go. The roster would need to be built like the bucks have done with Giannis.

He has zero jump shot from anywhere on the floor, and lacks regular aggression.... regardless of his length and athleticism is very easy to guard once playoff basketball comes around

Dude sounds like a passive LeBron w/o the drive to get better.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#879 » by slick_watts » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:38 am

bae simmons is 23 years old and in his two playoffs combined he's putting up 15/9/7 on 58% ts on 19.2% usage, 2%+ block and steal percentages. did you freak out when kevin durant was shut down by ron artest against the lakers during one of his first playoffs? what about when russell westbrook put up a sub-.500 ts in 2011 playoffs? this is a stupid argument. simmons has a wart to his game, he can't shoot jump shots, but he's so elite at just about everything else that it really doesn't matter much. he's basically a taller, more versatile jason kidd.
Thunder Up
Senior

Post#880 » by Thunder Up » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:39 am

getrichordie wrote:
Thunder Up wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Dude sounds like a passive LeBron w/o the drive to get better.

Don't tell Bondom that, he "follows them" and Simmons is excellent

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder