2019-20 Around the NBA Thread

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, ThunderBolt

User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,790
And1: 7,226
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#161 » by spearsy23 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:48 am

Has russ officially taken over as Houston's best player? My column.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#162 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:02 am

spearsy23 wrote:Has russ officially taken over as Houston's best player? My column.

It makes no sense. As soon as he started playing better harden fell off a cliff.
User avatar
NaturalThunder
General Manager
Posts: 8,135
And1: 3,544
Joined: Jun 13, 2012
     

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#163 » by NaturalThunder » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:27 am

We're officially alone in 6th place after the Wizards won on a buzzer beater over the Mavs tonight.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
User avatar
Pillendreher
RealGM
Posts: 14,158
And1: 9,927
Joined: Jan 25, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#164 » by Pillendreher » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:24 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Has russ officially taken over as Houston's best player? My column.

It makes no sense. As soon as he started playing better harden fell off a cliff.


Just going by the boxscores, looks to me like they're trying to feature Russ way more than earlier in the season and Harden is not handling it all that well. Contrary to George, he can't really play off the ball either with his playing style of the last two seasons.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#165 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:54 am

Pillendreher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Has russ officially taken over as Houston's best player? My column.

It makes no sense. As soon as he started playing better harden fell off a cliff.


Just going by the boxscores, looks to me like they're trying to feature Russ way more than earlier in the season and Harden is not handling it all that well. Contrary to George, he can't really play off the ball either with his playing style of the last two seasons.


Even before he got traded to us, I thought Chris Paul got a bad rap for getting frustrated with Houston’s offense and lack of ball movement.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#166 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm

"The whole point of trading Clint Capela was to maximize Russell Westbrook," said Tim MacMahon on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "Just because having two non-shooters on the floor with James Harden in that system, it was clunky. All the analytics backed up the Rockets' decision in a small window of this season right now: they were better without Capela off the floor than with him on the floor."


Rockets are 1-2 so far but one loss was a buzzer beater and the other was without Russ. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Thunder Up
Senior
Posts: 615
And1: 197
Joined: Jun 26, 2017
 

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#167 » by Thunder Up » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 pm

looks like Crowder went back to being good at basketball at least for these first couple games

Mavs snagged MKG, I would guess Presti will pursue him in the offseason as a younger Roberson for cheap
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,282
And1: 3,586
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#168 » by Old Man Game » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Still mad at the miscarriage of justice that was Aaron Gordon's inexplicable loss in the dunk contest. The dunk involving Fulttz was probably one of the 3 or 4 best contest dunks of all time.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#169 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Still mad at the miscarriage of justice that was Aaron Gordon's inexplicable loss in the dunk contest. The dunk involving Fulttz was probably one of the 3 or 4 best contest dunks of all time.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app



Gordon should have absolutely won. I wish they would do they three point shooting contest last. I know the dunk contest has more nostalgia around it but I find the three point shooting contest much more enjoyable to watch. The judging on the dunk contest is so arbitrary it makes it seem stupid to me.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,282
And1: 3,586
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#170 » by Old Man Game » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:42 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Still mad at the miscarriage of justice that was Aaron Gordon's inexplicable loss in the dunk contest. The dunk involving Fulttz was probably one of the 3 or 4 best contest dunks of all time.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app



Gordon should have absolutely won. I wish they would do they three point shooting contest last. I know the dunk contest has more nostalgia around it but I find the three point shooting contest much more enjoyable to watch. The judging on the dunk contest is so arbitrary it makes it seem stupid to me.


It's ridiculous that they score them on a scale of 1 to 10 at all, it is a binary situation, there's a winner and everyone else is a loser. So they should just all do their dunks, no scores between, then the judges should vote for a top 2 then in the finals once again, all dunks completed and then they vote on the winner.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,790
And1: 7,226
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#171 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 pm

People watch the all star shenanigans?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,705
And1: 339
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#172 » by hardenASG13 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Are you guys noticing how good a slightly past his prime athletically Westbrook is looking surrounded by shooting? Imagine if this was the case in his prime, with KD and Ibaka?

But, of course, Robes! Adams!! Perk!! You all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing for these bums playing alongside russ/kd for the duration of their era. It was clear as day surrounding then with shooters would have made things easier for them, and the team an unstoppable force offensively. Westbrook and KD were better than curry/klay! Just surrounded by bums. Their main comp was Miami, golden state, Houston, Cleveland. All shooting on the wings, no dominant centers.Instead OKC, like you, argued for D ratings, screen setting, non shooting, and lane clogging offensive rebounding! The numbers say it was the optimal lineup ha. Get an eye test!
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#173 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:12 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Are you guys noticing how good a slightly past his prime athletically Westbrook is looking surrounded by shooting? Imagine if this was the case in his prime, with KD and Ibaka?

But, of course, Robes! Adams!! Perk!! You all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing for these bums playing alongside russ/kd for the duration of their era. It was clear as day surrounding then with shooters would have made things easier for them, and the team an unstoppable force offensively. Westbrook and KD were better than curry/klay! Just surrounded by bums. Their main comp was Miami, golden state, Houston, Cleveland. All shooting on the wings, no dominant centers.Instead OKC, like you, argued for D ratings, screen setting, non shooting, and lane clogging offensive rebounding! The numbers say it was the optimal lineup ha. Get an eye test!

I’m going to make this very clear one time only. If you want to come in here and discuss basketball, fine. If you want to disagree with people, that’s fine too. If you are going to make antagonistic comments like “you all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves” you won’t be allowed to post here. Since you are openly not a thunder fan, your comments will be taken as trolling. Any questions, you can pm me. Have a nice day.
Thunder Up
Senior
Posts: 615
And1: 197
Joined: Jun 26, 2017
 

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#174 » by Thunder Up » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:14 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Are you guys noticing how good a slightly past his prime athletically Westbrook is looking surrounded by shooting? Imagine if this was the case in his prime, with KD and Ibaka?

But, of course, Robes! Adams!! Perk!! You all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing for these bums playing alongside russ/kd for the duration of their era. It was clear as day surrounding then with shooters would have made things easier for them, and the team an unstoppable force offensively. Westbrook and KD were better than curry/klay! Just surrounded by bums. Their main comp was Miami, golden state, Houston, Cleveland. All shooting on the wings, no dominant centers.Instead OKC, like you, argued for D ratings, screen setting, non shooting, and lane clogging offensive rebounding! The numbers say it was the optimal lineup ha. Get an eye test!


The problem is that the Thunder were up 3-1 on the "best team of all time" and choked, and it had nothing to do with the lack of shooters around Russ.
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,705
And1: 339
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#175 » by hardenASG13 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Thunder Up wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Are you guys noticing how good a slightly past his prime athletically Westbrook is looking surrounded by shooting? Imagine if this was the case in his prime, with KD and Ibaka?

But, of course, Robes! Adams!! Perk!! You all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing for these bums playing alongside russ/kd for the duration of their era. It was clear as day surrounding then with shooters would have made things easier for them, and the team an unstoppable force offensively. Westbrook and KD were better than curry/klay! Just surrounded by bums. Their main comp was Miami, golden state, Houston, Cleveland. All shooting on the wings, no dominant centers.Instead OKC, like you, argued for D ratings, screen setting, non shooting, and lane clogging offensive rebounding! The numbers say it was the optimal lineup ha. Get an eye test!


The problem is that the Thunder were up 3-1 on the "best team of all time" and choked, and it had nothing to do with the lack of shooters around Russ.


It actually did. Golden state parked defenders at the elbows, realizing they didnt need to respect the corners, and there was no room to operate. The offense stalled and couldn't keep up with golden states shooting.
hardenASG13
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,705
And1: 339
Joined: Mar 03, 2012

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#176 » by hardenASG13 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Are you guys noticing how good a slightly past his prime athletically Westbrook is looking surrounded by shooting? Imagine if this was the case in his prime, with KD and Ibaka?

But, of course, Robes! Adams!! Perk!! You all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing for these bums playing alongside russ/kd for the duration of their era. It was clear as day surrounding then with shooters would have made things easier for them, and the team an unstoppable force offensively. Westbrook and KD were better than curry/klay! Just surrounded by bums. Their main comp was Miami, golden state, Houston, Cleveland. All shooting on the wings, no dominant centers.Instead OKC, like you, argued for D ratings, screen setting, non shooting, and lane clogging offensive rebounding! The numbers say it was the optimal lineup ha. Get an eye test!

I’m going to make this very clear one time only. If you want to come in here and discuss basketball, fine. If you want to disagree with people, that’s fine too. If you are going to make antagonistic comments like “you all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves” you won’t be allowed to post here. Since you are openly not a thunder fan, your comments will be taken as trolling. Any questions, you can pm me. Have a nice day.


No I'm not a thunder fan, but certainly was for a long time and discussed above issues at length with many posters on this sub forum. Always said Westbrook in particular needed nothing but shooters around him. Was called every name in the book by the regulars here for the notion, as well as Roberson being comically miscast in a 30 mpg position, and Adams and perk before him clogging up the paint as being a detriment. If revisiting a point we have discussed for years, because it's becoming very apparent I was right all along, opposed by this entire board along the way, is what you call trolling, then it makes you appear pretty weak as you dont want to face what was said, by you and others. This is the first year Westbrook hasnt been on okc/surrounded by non shooting wings. Its relevant to discuss.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#177 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:29 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Are you guys noticing how good a slightly past his prime athletically Westbrook is looking surrounded by shooting? Imagine if this was the case in his prime, with KD and Ibaka?

But, of course, Robes! Adams!! Perk!! You all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing for these bums playing alongside russ/kd for the duration of their era. It was clear as day surrounding then with shooters would have made things easier for them, and the team an unstoppable force offensively. Westbrook and KD were better than curry/klay! Just surrounded by bums. Their main comp was Miami, golden state, Houston, Cleveland. All shooting on the wings, no dominant centers.Instead OKC, like you, argued for D ratings, screen setting, non shooting, and lane clogging offensive rebounding! The numbers say it was the optimal lineup ha. Get an eye test!

I’m going to make this very clear one time only. If you want to come in here and discuss basketball, fine. If you want to disagree with people, that’s fine too. If you are going to make antagonistic comments like “you all and the thunder should be ashamed of yourselves” you won’t be allowed to post here. Since you are openly not a thunder fan, your comments will be taken as trolling. Any questions, you can pm me. Have a nice day.


No I'm not a thunder fan, but certainly was for a long time and discussed above issues at length with many posters on this sub forum. Always said Westbrook in particular needed nothing but shooters around him. Was called every name in the book by the regulars here for the notion, as well as Roberson being comically miscast in a 30 mpg position, and Adams and perk before him clogging up the paint as being a detriment. If revisiting a point we have discussed for years, because it's becoming very apparent I was right all along, opposed by this entire board along the way, is what you call trolling, then it makes you appear pretty weak as you dont want to face what was said, by you and others. This is the first year Westbrook hasnt been on okc/surrounded by non shooting wings. Its relevant to discuss.

You were not called every name in the book. If you were or are called anything inappropriate, you can report it like everyone else. You won’t be held to a different standard than anyone else.

You also distort the facts as many people were happy to upgrade Roberson. However it was you who was too quick to anoint scrubs like Corey brewer as being better after a hot game or two. You were right on Jeremi Grant. You are right about Adams but are wrong that you have been the only one saying that for a while.


You can talk Roberson and Westbrook and basketball all you want but don’t come in here on a revenge tour trying to provoke people. You don’t want to talk basketball you want to talk about why YOU are right about basketball. It especially comes across as trolling when you disappear for months at a time and conveniently show up when certain things happen that fit your viewpoint. There is more here to discuss than whether someone was right or wrong. We are all right and wrong about stuff. It’s not that big of a deal.

Russ is playing great right now. It’s worth discussing and will be interesting to see how it plays out in the playoffs. He was also bad for a good portion of the year too. We can discuss that without saying people should be ashamed of themselves or are weak when you are told to knock it off. If you can’t do that, come back when you can.
Thunder Up
Senior
Posts: 615
And1: 197
Joined: Jun 26, 2017
 

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#178 » by Thunder Up » Sun Mar 1, 2020 4:44 am

Russ and that diminishing athleticism sure looks like a top 3-5 player in the NBA for the past 2+ months, with a team properly built around him
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 13,148
And1: 10,820
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#179 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 1, 2020 11:08 am

It’s almost like Russ and Harden would both be better off surrounded by Robert Covington/PJ tucker level players than another star. Russ has been very good but Harden sucks right now. The games I’ve watched recently Harden looks like he isn’t having fun and can’t hit any shots. It’s like he can’t handle not being the entire offense for a team.
User avatar
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 8,097
And1: 533
Joined: Oct 16, 2005
Location: Houston
     

Re: 2019-20 Around the NBA Thread 

Post#180 » by Vator » Sun Mar 1, 2020 6:19 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:It’s almost like Russ and Harden would both be better off surrounded by Robert Covington/PJ tucker level players than another star. Russ has been very good but Harden sucks right now. The games I’ve watched recently Harden looks like he isn’t having fun and can’t hit any shots. It’s like he can’t handle not being the entire offense for a team.


Putting it kindly, he definitely had a rough January as he adjusted to Russ taking over more ball handling duties, but including yesterday’s stinker, he averaged 32 points per game on 46% and 37% from 3 along with 6 rebounds and 8 assists in February so he’s been fine overall. He’s just prone to a poor shooting game here and there because of the volume of 3 pointers he takes. Comparatively, Russ averaged 33 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assist in February. They’ve actually been playing well together lately.

Also consider the stats below that I read from another poster this morning.

In order of net rating
Harden and No Westbrook : +8.4
Harden and Westbrook : +7.4
Westbrook no Harden : +0.4

Last 12 games

Harden and Westbrook : +16.6
Harden no Westbrook : +11.0
Westbrook no Harden : -0.8


Harden is what makes this thing work even with the roster adjustment. It has seemingly made the Harden and Westbrook tandem much more dynamic and has unlocked Westbrook’s full potential and given him the space he needs to dominate and flourish, but without Harden on the floor it hasn’t really been good at all.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder