2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, ThunderBolt

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
4
36%
No
2
18%
Not sure
5
45%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 14,431
And1: 12,408
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#521 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:We can still S&T Gallo though?

Yes. Did you put money on a Gallo s&t?


ahahahaha no. I know I asked 495 times but I was so pissed because we didn't trade him at the trade deadline (didn't want to let him walk and no reason to keep him at that time). Just hope we can get some kind of small value. Oubre probably gonna stay so not much more we can do.

I would say it depends on if Gallo really wants to go to a contender or go to Atlanta for a bigger payday.
Dadouv47
Head Coach
Posts: 6,003
And1: 2,667
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#522 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Yes. Did you put money on a Gallo s&t?


ahahahaha no. I know I asked 495 times but I was so pissed because we didn't trade him at the trade deadline (didn't want to let him walk and no reason to keep him at that time). Just hope we can get some kind of small value. Oubre probably gonna stay so not much more we can do.

I would say it depends on if Gallo really wants to go to a contender or go to Atlanta for a bigger payday.


For sure. Atlanta means is he's walking and other contenders would probably need a S&T

If Miami wasn't so focused about their 2021 free agency it would have been easier...
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,959
And1: 7,315
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#523 » by spearsy23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 pm

mr570 wrote:I mean the second round is perplexing. But how can you not be excited about Poku?

I'm more confused about how you could be excited about poku. It's not like any of us have actually seen him play, but he wasn't exactly lighting up second tier competition and his write up positives are all based around the fact that he's tall. He's not an elite athlete, he's a good athlete for a guy that tall. He's not an elite shooter, he's an intriguing shooter for a guy that tall. He's not an elite passer, He's a good passer for a guy that tall. He can dribble really well, for a seven footer. Etc.

Being hopeful? Sure. But excited?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 14,431
And1: 12,408
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#524 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ahahahaha no. I know I asked 495 times but I was so pissed because we didn't trade him at the trade deadline (didn't want to let him walk and no reason to keep him at that time). Just hope we can get some kind of small value. Oubre probably gonna stay so not much more we can do.

I would say it depends on if Gallo really wants to go to a contender or go to Atlanta for a bigger payday.


For sure. Atlanta means is he's walking and other contenders would probably need a S&T

If Miami wasn't so focused about their 2021 free agency it would have been easier...

Bontemps tweeted the Horford trade will be structured in such a way we won’t have to renounce Gallo.

Edit- Bobby marks
Read on Twitter
?
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,959
And1: 7,315
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#525 » by spearsy23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Signed yurtseven. Presti really does have a fetish for tall white (or at least not black) guys that's almost concerning.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dadouv47
Head Coach
Posts: 6,003
And1: 2,667
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#526 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm not that excited about Poku but at least it shows that clearly Presti is thinking long term and that we will tank for a while. The negative aspect of it is that we will need to wait a long time (1 year if we get lucky) before having a nice young player to pair with SGA.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 14,431
And1: 12,408
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#527 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 pm

On the uncontested podcast they said Shai and Poku have already worked out together.
cjmcallist
Junior
Posts: 295
And1: 104
Joined: Jul 27, 2018

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#528 » by cjmcallist » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:Does anyone know if James Johnson's contract is now on the Thunders cap sheet?


James Johson was involved in the trade after all? Damn terrible trade if true ;(


I don't know. He has till 5 today to pick up his $15M option. I am just assuming it was Johnson for the salary match.

Say he declines his option - what then? lol They don't have the salary to match without including Culver. lol

I believe RoLo with MIL found out he was going to be in the now-defunct Bogdan trade and declined his option. JJ could do the same here. I doubt it, but possible...
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,959
And1: 7,315
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#529 » by spearsy23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
James Johson was involved in the trade after all? Damn terrible trade if true ;(


I don't know. He has till 5 today to pick up his $15M option. I am just assuming it was Johnson for the salary match.

Say he declines his option - what then? lol They don't have the salary to match without including Culver. lol

I believe RoLo with MIL found out he was going to be in the now-defunct Bogdan trade and declined his option. JJ could do the same here. I doubt it, but possible...

I believe they'd have the cap space to take Rubio into. But JJ isn't decling 16 mil lol
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Balkman32
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,197
And1: 634
Joined: Jul 19, 2007
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#530 » by Balkman32 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:We can still S&T Gallo though?

Yes. Did you put money on a Gallo s&t?


Dadouv47 wrote:I was fine to keep Adams but an Al Horford/Adams line up sounds terrible. Not a good fit and we need Horford to play for the rehab process to work.


I think that's part of the Idea. Adams and Horford will be good for the young guys. If we go into the season with them on the roster we will always have a high IQ guy on the floor for Shai.

I wonder if a Horford back to the Celtics makes some sense. It could be a 3 way deal where Gallo and Hayward are sent to ATL's cap space.

I think Horford will be on the team this season. It should be interesting to see what Gallo brings back if anything via a S&T.
User avatar
jake_swivel
Junior
Posts: 295
And1: 122
Joined: Jul 07, 2019

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#531 » by jake_swivel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:49 pm

I’ve watched pretty much every online video of poku now. Defensively, he’s very good at the point of attack. When the ball is going up or his man is passing, his hands are accurately active. But at any other point in the possession, he’s clueless. He’s out of place and unaware. He doesn’t seem unwilling to defend, just unaware of what’s going on. It would pretty much be a disaster if he was on an NBA court right now. Gotta be a stash.
Balkman32
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,197
And1: 634
Joined: Jul 19, 2007
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#532 » by Balkman32 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:05 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
I don't know. He has till 5 today to pick up his $15M option. I am just assuming it was Johnson for the salary match.

Say he declines his option - what then? lol They don't have the salary to match without including Culver. lol

I believe RoLo with MIL found out he was going to be in the now-defunct Bogdan trade and declined his option. JJ could do the same here. I doubt it, but possible...

I believe they'd have the cap space to take Rubio into. But JJ isn't decling 16 mil lol


Do we rather the space now or an expiring deal?
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 14,431
And1: 12,408
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#533 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
mr570 wrote:I mean the second round is perplexing. But how can you not be excited about Poku?

I'm more confused about how you could be excited about poku. It's not like any of us have actually seen him play, but he wasn't exactly lighting up second tier competition and his write up positives are all based around the fact that he's tall. He's not an elite athlete, he's a good athlete for a guy that tall. He's not an elite shooter, he's an intriguing shooter for a guy that tall. He's not an elite passer, He's a good passer for a guy that tall. He can dribble really well, for a seven footer. Etc.

Being hopeful? Sure. But excited?

There aren’t many guys in this draft I would have felt much more excited about. Wiseman? Ya. A few others too but not a lot. I like Patrick Williams and he went to the bulls even though he was a bench player for fsu. His sample size is small too.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 14,431
And1: 12,408
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#534 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
Posts: 9,508
And1: 1,701
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: New Zealand
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#535 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:07 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
James Johson was involved in the trade after all? Damn terrible trade if true ;(


I don't know. He has till 5 today to pick up his $15M option. I am just assuming it was Johnson for the salary match.

Say he declines his option - what then? lol They don't have the salary to match without including Culver. lol

I believe RoLo with MIL found out he was going to be in the now-defunct Bogdan trade and declined his option. JJ could do the same here. I doubt it, but possible...

If Giannis doesn't sign his extension then there might be a few teams interested in dumping a multi year deal for JJ, could be quite valuable and a team would pay you to take on a extra year or two.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 18,959
And1: 7,315
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#536 » by spearsy23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
mr570 wrote:I mean the second round is perplexing. But how can you not be excited about Poku?

I'm more confused about how you could be excited about poku. It's not like any of us have actually seen him play, but he wasn't exactly lighting up second tier competition and his write up positives are all based around the fact that he's tall. He's not an elite athlete, he's a good athlete for a guy that tall. He's not an elite shooter, he's an intriguing shooter for a guy that tall. He's not an elite passer, He's a good passer for a guy that tall. He can dribble really well, for a seven footer. Etc.

Being hopeful? Sure. But excited?

There aren’t many guys in this draft I would have felt much more excited about. Wiseman? Ya. A few others too but not a lot. I like Patrick Williams and he went to the bulls even though he was a bench player for fsu. His sample size is small too.

I guess it depends on what you mean by excited. I'm excited for Maledon because I've kept tabs on him and see a potential NBA player. I would've been excited for Anthony because he's been such a great player right up until an injury riddled season in a poor situation. Most guys you've at least seen flashes and have an idea that they might be able to build off the base they have. With Poku there isn't much there, unless maybe someone has been watching him and can correct me? The highlights aren't stellar, the stats are pretty bad in a bad league (from what I remember he was sub 50% on 2's and 32% on threes), and i haven't seen enough of him to feel like he's flashed. I'm hopeful that he works out, and obviously the thunder have a much better idea of him than me, but it's hard to find something to really be excited about.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
mr570
Junior
Posts: 318
And1: 182
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
Location: Springfield, MO
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#537 » by mr570 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:21 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I'm more confused about how you could be excited about poku. It's not like any of us have actually seen him play, but he wasn't exactly lighting up second tier competition and his write up positives are all based around the fact that he's tall. He's not an elite athlete, he's a good athlete for a guy that tall. He's not an elite shooter, he's an intriguing shooter for a guy that tall. He's not an elite passer, He's a good passer for a guy that tall. He can dribble really well, for a seven footer. Etc.

Being hopeful? Sure. But excited?

There aren’t many guys in this draft I would have felt much more excited about. Wiseman? Ya. A few others too but not a lot. I like Patrick Williams and he went to the bulls even though he was a bench player for fsu. His sample size is small too.

I guess it depends on what you mean by excited. I'm excited for Maledon because I've kept tabs on him and see a potential NBA player. I would've been excited for Anthony because he's been such a great player right up until an injury riddled season in a poor situation. Most guys you've at least seen flashes and have an idea that they might be able to build off the base they have. With Poku there isn't much there, unless maybe someone has been watching him and can correct me? The highlights aren't stellar, the stats are pretty bad in a bad league (from what I remember he was sub 50% on 2's and 32% on threes), and i haven't seen enough of him to feel like he's flashed. I'm hopeful that he works out, and obviously the thunder have a much better idea of him than me, but it's hard to find something to really be excited about.

Well with Poku you'e projecting right? You're not drafting the player he is right now. You're drafting the player he could be in four years. He doesn't have eye-popping stats or the highlight tape that guys like Westbrook or KD had because he's just not close to his potential yet.
timO
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,465
And1: 862
Joined: Jul 03, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#538 » by timO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I'm not that excited about Poku but at least it shows that clearly Presti is thinking long term and that we will tank for a while. The negative aspect of it is that we will need to wait a long time (1 year if we get lucky) before having a nice young player to pair with SGA.


We need a top 5 pick next year.

Poku can be a Porzingis.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Veteran
Posts: 2,869
And1: 1,538
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#539 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 pm

After all the moves and trades did OKC just trade out of the first round? Or did they get a first rounder?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
jambalaya
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,519
And1: 263
Joined: Feb 01, 2005

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#540 » by jambalaya » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Also got Amdiral Schofield (out of U.K.). Presti has his international team, his youth elite team.

Some guys won't be playing this year. More trades expected. Who lasts 2 or 4 years? A few known, a lot to be determined.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder