Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#41 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:42 pm

I’m kind of ready to move on from Adams. I like him well enough but we know what he is and is not at this point.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#42 » by spearsy23 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:17 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
Gary Harris has had some really bad trouble with injury the last couple of years, but when healthy he's good. He'd be a worthy reclamation project.

I wouldn't mind AG either (He's under 23 still?!)

Gary Harris is so overrated on these boards because he had like two decent seasons and they weren't even that good.

And his contract is awful for a player of his abilities. I'm not taking on that kind of project when the dude is 25.5 years old. Nope. Not touching it.

He’s struggled with injuries. A player like Harris isn’t someone you give up assets for but he’s a guy that’s worth taking a shot on if you get assets back. Let’s say there is a three way trade out there for schroder that gets us a really nice asset plus Harris. That’s the kind of trade that could be really good for a rebuilding team. If it doesn’t work out, then the tank rolls on. I would rather match salary with a player like Harris and hope he brings his value up for more assets than some overpaid 34 year old vet.

But...justice winslow.....
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#43 » by Pillendreher » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Y'all were waiting for this season's deadline scrub pickup - here you go.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:23 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Gary Harris is so overrated on these boards because he had like two decent seasons and they weren't even that good.

And his contract is awful for a player of his abilities. I'm not taking on that kind of project when the dude is 25.5 years old. Nope. Not touching it.

He’s struggled with injuries. A player like Harris isn’t someone you give up assets for but he’s a guy that’s worth taking a shot on if you get assets back. Let’s say there is a three way trade out there for schroder that gets us a really nice asset plus Harris. That’s the kind of trade that could be really good for a rebuilding team. If it doesn’t work out, then the tank rolls on. I would rather match salary with a player like Harris and hope he brings his value up for more assets than some overpaid 34 year old vet.

But...justice winslow.....

There is a difference between trading for the inured player as the centerpiece of a deal and trading for an pick and a young injured player as filler. I would rather have a pick than Harris or Winslow by themselves. If you get either of them along with a pick, that’s even better. Neither have a ton of value but are worth giving a shot at rebuilding their value. They are really nice filler in a bigger deal.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#45 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:50 am

Speaking of a guy who he's a injured, is it worth trading for Lauri Markkanen? He shouldn't be that expensive (Injury issues + unhappy in Chicago, if true)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:28 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Speaking of a guy who he's a injured, is it worth trading for Lauri Markkanen? He shouldn't be that expensive (Injury issues + unhappy in Chicago, if true)

Ya I would trade for him. I dont know how cheap he’ll be.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#47 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Speaking of a guy who he's a injured, is it worth trading for Lauri Markkanen? He shouldn't be that expensive (Injury issues + unhappy in Chicago, if true)

I'm very down with this—he or WCJ both, though I think WCJ might be less gettable. I think Markkanen's a little miscast.
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#48 » by Thunder Up » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:26 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I'm very down with this—he or WCJ both, though I think WCJ might be less gettable. I think Markkanen's a little miscast.

Send those dumb dumbs Adams and one of those future firsts and make it work
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#49 » by Balkman32 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 pm

Thunder Up wrote:Dump Hami and Nader
Figure out a decent s&t with Gallo
Find a deal for Adams
Bring back Noel
Sign Montrezl

Miss the playoffs...
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Balkman32 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:14 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Who is a realistic young target this offseason to pair alongside shai?

This guy is probably sitting in a high school or college class right now.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Marvin Bagley is a guy that I could see becoming available at some point. I haven't watched him very much to know if he's worthy anything.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Who is a realistic young target this offseason to pair alongside shai?

At best we will be starting a true rebuild next year when Shai enters his third year. Waiting too long to get a true young core around him presents the possible issue down the line when he wants to win and we are tanking. It's too early right now to predict anything definitive but it's something to keep in mind going forward.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Balkman32 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

This is the wording from the CBA on Andre's salary and how if could be wiped off the books. I don't know when we would have to waive him by or when or how long the waiting period is. But, I would expect the Thunder to waive Andre @ some point unless he can make a return.

From the NBA CBA FAQ:

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Balkman32 wrote:at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered)

I'm not sure how we could qualify based on this part of the description.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Balkman32 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

At best we will be starting a true rebuild next year when Shai enters his third year. Waiting too long to get a true young core around him presents the possible issue down the line when he wants to win and we are tanking. It's too early right now to predict anything definitive but it's something to keep in mind going forward.

Shai's 3rd year starts in 8 months...

I think you want to stagger thee guys. Remember when Sam was putting together the team to try to get Druant to re-sign. They added Dipo and were going to add Horford. It might just be Shai and then we are able to draft two guys that can do the thing. Right now Ferguson, Diallo, Dort & Bazley are all around his age. Plus the Thunder will be able to trade for any unhappy superstar even thought I don't think they will go that rout.

Maybe Shai will be the Horford of this group. or maybe Sam goes out and gets Shai's robin or batman. Looking at the west most of the teams have two studs other than the Kings.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

Shai's 3rd year starts in 8 months...

I think you want to stagger thee guys. Remember when Sam was putting together the team to try to get Druant to re-sign. They added Dipo and were going to add Horford. It might just be Shai and then we are able to draft two guys that can do the thing. Right now Ferguson, Diallo, Dort & Bazley are all around his age. Plus the Thunder will be able to trade for any unhappy superstar even thought I don't think they will go that rout.

Maybe Shai will be the Horford of this group. or maybe Sam goes out and gets Shai's robin or batman. Looking at the west most of the teams have two studs other than the Kings.

Like I said, we have some time but the problem with staggering is if you miss on your draft picks and trades. The margin for error gets a lot smaller.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Balkman32 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:02 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered)

I'm not sure how we could qualify based on this part of the description.

I think that is saying if we traded him to Portland, Portland couldn't then apply for this exemption.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#58 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:08 pm

We are such in a weird position that if we don't get some good prospects soon enough, the best move would be to trade SGA.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#59 » by jambalaya » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:47 pm

Bagley is one of the last players I would seek. TS% fell to well below average while increasing usage. 3pt fg% went from weak to about half that. FT rate also cut in half from previous season. Hot on long 2s and doing more. I don't know if that is sustainable. It certainly isn't "enough". Defense is bad. Low RPM estimate. Pretty bad injury history.

If he was on a low salary and without big next salary expectations I might be more open-minded. He isn't. He makes $8.6 million while providing negative value right now and will be seeking extension in 2021 or will have a cap hold over $20 million in summer 2022. Fortunately Kings are probably still attached to their high draft pick mistake despite complete failure using him. -14 / 100 poss. on the court and same on / off. If Kings had wanted to dump him for Roberson salary or Muscala / Ferguson, what the heck maybe but for better players / picks as surely they would ask? No. In-between probably not. I'd have more interest in other prospects.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:17 pm

He's played 19 games this season and been hurt most of it. Sample size and small and numbers declining aren't really an accurate representation that he's regressed in any way. I'm not saying he'll be an all star but he's very talented offensively. I wouldn't give up a ton for him but if it becomes a Markelle Fultz situation, I wouldn't be opposed to him.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder