New Head Coach
60%

Total votes: 5

itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 101

New Head Coach? 

Post#1 » by itzmrgigglez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 am

This might be premature as we still have a season to finish but do y’all think we should give Billy Donovan a new contract? Or find a new head coach?

I feel like Donovan really had a chance to show what he can do as coach this season and it did help to have CP3. However, his usage of a 3 guard line up was interesting and innovative. I don’t have a problem with Donovan and I like him.

Potential New Head Coaches:
Kenny Atkinson
Mark Jackson
Dave Joerger
Mike Brown
David Fizdale
Brian Keefe(already in the OKC org)

Links about NBA Head Coach candidates :

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29263878/top-nba-head-coach-prospects-tyronn-lue-tom-thibodeau-chris-finch?platform=amp

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/05/08/nba-ranking-available-head-coaches/
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 46,766

Re: New Head Coach? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 am

My stance on Donovan is known. I like Atkinson, and of that list would only strongly dislike Jackson and Brown (Jackson much worse). I'd add Stackhouse.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 10,820

Post#3 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:31 pm

I don't think he's the worst coach in the league but definitely below average. However, not being the worst coach isn't exactly a great reason to bring Billy back. I don't think he is as dumb as others think in regards to "tactical competence" but I do think he is ineffective implementing his philosophies. He would likely do better with younger players, however as they develop I foresee them outgrowing Billy. CP3 was the best thing that could have happened for Billy's career with the exception of coaching Lebron.

Regardless, the only scenario I don't see him returning is if the potential league financial issues teams impact contract negotiations in some way that he's unhappy or Presti opts to save money.
jambalaya
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#4 » by jambalaya » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:10 pm

I probably wouldn't take a retread.

Pick the best NBA assistant (or possibly NCAA or international head coach) under 45. See it as a gamble. Move on in 2-3 years if it is not good and promising more.

Must be considered elite on Xs & Os, at least good on teaching D (or bring / get defensive coordinator). Must believe in Moreyball, go far beyond typical NBA coach in using analytics, believe in lineup concentration. Hire an Associate Head Coach to do a lot of the background stuff. Hire a brainiac and have him concentrate on strategy and tactics.
Galloisdaman
Starter
And1: 1,244

Post#5 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:46 pm

After the LAC and HOU trades a lot of people said OKC would be a lottery team so I suspect Billy will get coach of the year votes.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 10,820

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:36 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:After the LAC and HOU trades a lot of people said OKC would be a lottery team so I suspect Billy will get coach of the year votes.

There are two reasons that it made sense to assume okc would be a lottery team. First, it was assumed that okc would aggressively tank. Second, if Gallo and CP3 had missed significant time with injuries then okc would have been a lottery team. Since neither of those things happened, okc is about where they should be. I would rather have billy than guys like Boylen or Thibs but coach of the year seems a bit of a stretch.
Galloisdaman
Starter
And1: 1,244

Post#7 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:44 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:After the LAC and HOU trades a lot of people said OKC would be a lottery team so I suspect Billy will get coach of the year votes.

There are two reasons that it made sense to assume okc would be a lottery team. First, it was assumed that okc would aggressively tank. Second, if Gallo and CP3 had missed significant time with injuries then okc would have been a lottery team. Since neither of those things happened, okc is about where they should be. I would rather have billy than guys like Boylen or Thibs but coach of the year seems a bit of a stretch.

I do not think Billy will win coach of the year. I just expect him to get some votes. :D
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Kizz Fastfists
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,354

Post#8 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:57 pm

You could be right about him getting some votes. This actually shows how pathetic the people doing sports shows are. The "experts" were stupid so Donovan will get coach of the year votes for OKC doing what they should have done. Keep in mind that I said before the season that if OKC didn't move Gallo and CP3 they would be in the playoffs as a first round exit. So from MY perspective they did what was expected. I upset a lot of Thunder fans by saying Presti was risking OKC's first by not moving CP3 and/or Gallo because they were convinced OKC would get a top 5 pick.
"The biggest enemy of the negro is the white liberal." - Malcolm X

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder