Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Re: Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#241 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 3, 2020 3:32 am

Looks like Devon Hall signed overseas.

Read on Twitter
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#242 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 3, 2020 5:55 am

Read on Twitter
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#243 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 3, 2020 10:02 am

I don't know if that rumor has any truth to it, but I hope its NY over the LA teams. I'm not excited about Knox but I really don't want Kuzma at all.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#244 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:09 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I don't know if that rumor has any truth to it, but I hope its NY over the LA teams. I'm not excited about Knox but I really don't want Kuzma at all.

I think there's a lot of logic behind it for us. Not sure how much there is for NY. I do think Paul can help right the ship there to an extent and also improve the overall developmental context of their prospects. Hard to develop on a bad team with poor spacing.

For us, we would save a ton of money. We actually can save the most amount of money by moving him to the Knicks and open up cap space to be players in FA which is the direction I advocate for. That doesn't necessarily mean that happens, but I think it's likely. A lot of ways you could spin a Paul to NY trade from a salary impact point of view.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#245 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:22 pm

very important stuff to consider here as well:

"The financials of the naming rights deal was relatively small. The contract stated that the fee for naming rights in 2011 was just $3 million. In the agreement, it was stipulated that the fee would rise by 3% every single year. By 2020, Chesapeake Energy was responsible for paying the Thunder $3.91 million for the right to name the arena. The business’s current financial state will likely mean that the contract is void.

Professional Basketball Club LLC will have to look at finding another sponsor to pick up the naming rights to the arena. Love’s is an obvious candidate but I do not think that a deal makes sense for either side. Love’s have already spent a significant amount of capital on the jersey patch and may not want to spend even more money. In contrast, PBC LLC will likely be looking to sign a lucrative deal."

"In recent years, we have seen people such as Steve Ballmer and Joe Tsai purchase teams. These owners can tap into billions of dollars in resources. Money is no object for them.

But Oklahoma City’s ownership group is very different than others around the league. The franchise is a real business for the ownership group and the team has to be in a robust financial position. One of the Thunder’s principal owners, Clay Bennett, has his wealth tied up in the Thunder. He needs the team to be profitable or his personal finances will take a hit.

Bennett’s own situation could explain why he made such an impassioned plea for all 30 teams to be included in the restart of the league. 30 teams would have meant more games and more games will result in an increase in Basketball Related Income."

https://dailythunder.com/hard-times-ahead-the-thunders-precarious-revenue-outlook/
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#246 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 3, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't think the financial issues are a huge deal since we aren't trying to win right now. The fact that we didn't even make a minor move to get under the tax at the deadline is telling imo, even if it was before covid hit.

I think too much gets made of Clay Bennet's worth because the organization was cheap early on. He may not be the wealthiest owner by himself but OKC has one of the wealthiest people in the world on their ownership group. Adding George Kaiser to the ownership group in 2014 should get thunder fans somewhat of a reason to not panic. According to Forbes he's still the 137th wealthiest person in America. I'm sure he's suffered losses like all others but people with that kind of wealth don't sell low when things get tough, they buy.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#247 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 4, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm not going to pretend I really know anything about any of these guys. However from the little bit I've read, Will Hardy is interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=415&t=2013285
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#248 » by getrichordie » Wed Nov 4, 2020 3:29 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I'm not going to pretend I really know anything about any of these guys. However from the little bit I've read, Will Hardy is interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=415&t=2013285

Daigneault and Hardy are Mass. guys, just like Presti. I'd imagine that one of them will be HC. Probably Daigneault. And Hardy and Keefe will be assistants.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#249 » by getrichordie » Fri Nov 6, 2020 7:00 am

Well, it looks like I'm wrong on the Daigneault prediction. It appears that this guy (Will Weaver) is likely going to be the frontrunner in our search for a head coach.

[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 6, 2020 11:23 am

Spoiler:
getrichordie wrote:Well, it looks like I'm wrong on the Daigneault prediction. It appears that this guy (Will Weaver) is likely going to be the frontrunner in our search for a head coach.

Front runner or just interviewing? Either way, it’s time to get a coach. This doesn’t need to drag out any longer. Season starts in six weeks, training camp in less than a month and draft in less than two weeks.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#251 » by getrichordie » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:47 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
getrichordie wrote:Well, it looks like I'm wrong on the Daigneault prediction. It appears that this guy (Will Weaver) is likely going to be the frontrunner in our search for a head coach.

Front runner or just interviewing? Either way, it’s time to get a coach. This doesn’t need to drag out any longer. Season starts in six weeks, training camp in less than a month and draft in less than two weeks.

I'm doing my best version of a "CNN projection" in spirit of the election.

I think he has to be the front runner. Out of all candidates mentioned, his resume seems to be the one that stands out.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#252 » by getrichordie » Sun Nov 8, 2020 4:14 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#253 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Things are going to start happening fast. We might even get a head coach some day too.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:39 pm

Read on Twitter

This is a great year to tank for so many reasons.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#255 » by jake_swivel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 pm

I’m all in on tanking this year. If they manage a high pick on a premium player next year, this rebuilding process will be crazy short. Already have a few young guys who have tasted winning and have good habits and a ton of draft assets. With a few decent FA signings in two years, this organization is set up really well.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#256 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

jake_swivel wrote:I’m all in on tanking this year. If they manage a high pick on a premium player next year, this rebuilding process will be crazy short. Already have a few young guys who have tasted winning and have good habits and a ton of draft assets. With a few decent FA signings in two years, this organization is set up really well.

In addition to that, they are likely going to be very limited with the amount of fans in the arena. Having a year where we suck and ticket sales decline isn't as huge of a deal as it otherwise might have been.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#257 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Read on Twitter

I hate loves.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#258 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I haven’t liked one thunder jersey since the jump.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#259 » by getrichordie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:21 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hate loves.

Blazer-esque?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:24 pm

jake_swivel wrote:I haven’t liked one thunder jersey since the jump.

I like some of our Christmas day jerseys.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

These are also pretty slick.

Spoiler:

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder