Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,221

Re: Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#41 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:29 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
Sea2003 wrote:Hopefully, we trade Schroder and CP3 this season. Seeing as how desperate Philly and Milluwuake are, I think Presti holds all the leverage. A package of Horford, Thybulle, and 2 unprotected first-round picks would be a dream.

I don't think the 6ers deal Thybulle but I can see a CP3 for Horford swap. I think its going to cost the 6ers to do a Horford for CP3. Horfords deal is for another 3 years at around $27 million plus he is already 34 years old, and the salary cap could be decreasing. Would the 6ers offer Horford, unprotected FRP's in '25 and '27 for CP3?

The Bucks can only deal one first rounder since they have 2 going out the door right now.

These teams might also have interest in a CP3 & Schroder package. I think these two have shown they work together really well and can bring a balance to a team for a full 48 minutes plus we have seen they are able to play together.

Just fyi on the Horford contract-
Only $14,500,000 guaranteed in 2022/23, HoopsHype has learned. He would get $19,500,000 guaranteed if his team makes it to the NBA Finals in 2019/20, 2020/21 or 2021/22. His 2022/23 would be fully guaranteed if his team wins the NBA championship.

https://hoopshype.com/player/al-horford/salary/
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#42 » by Balkman32 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:59 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
Sea2003 wrote:Hopefully, we trade Schroder and CP3 this season. Seeing as how desperate Philly and Milluwuake are, I think Presti holds all the leverage. A package of Horford, Thybulle, and 2 unprotected first-round picks would be a dream.

I don't think the 6ers deal Thybulle but I can see a CP3 for Horford swap. I think its going to cost the 6ers to do a Horford for CP3. Horfords deal is for another 3 years at around $27 million plus he is already 34 years old, and the salary cap could be decreasing. Would the 6ers offer Horford, unprotected FRP's in '25 and '27 for CP3?

The Bucks can only deal one first rounder since they have 2 going out the door right now.

These teams might also have interest in a CP3 & Schroder package. I think these two have shown they work together really well and can bring a balance to a team for a full 48 minutes plus we have seen they are able to play together.

Just fyi on the Horford contract-
Only $14,500,000 guaranteed in 2022/23, HoopsHype has learned. He would get $19,500,000 guaranteed if his team makes it to the NBA Finals in 2019/20, 2020/21 or 2021/22. His 2022/23 would be fully guaranteed if his team wins the NBA championship.

https://hoopshype.com/player/al-horford/salary/

Paul will make $85.5 m over the next 2 years.
Horford will make $81 m over the next 3 years. But, in the last year $12 million could be saved if released before Free Agency in 2022. Which would result in paying Horford $69 million over the next 2 years, with a $14.5 m cap hit on the 22-23.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#43 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Sep 8, 2020 4:26 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:If we rebuild and move cp3 and Gallo, I expect shai to struggle and have a bit of a regression year on the surface. Ultimately I think it should make him a better player in the long run. All of us tend to want progression to be fast and linear but unless you are Luka, it tends to be slower. Devin Booker has been talented for a long time but made his jump this year in fifth season. Lots of good players don’t develop as quickly as we saw with the Durant, Russ and Harden.

Booker showed legitimate #1 scoring chops from day 1 though. There were questions about rather he could be the best player on a winning team, but he was always going to be a guy that could get you 35 in a game 7.

Shai is a really difficult player to comp. After an entire season of watching almost every game I really can’t think of who he reminds me of. I don’t think he’s the same level of scorer as booker. That comp was more along the lines of how long it could take him to reach his ceiling. In same ways you could argue that the situations he’s been in his first two years have slowed his development even though they may have been beneficial down the road.

Does anyone believe the grindhouse Grizzlies or the current blazers were actually in the title hunt? Because, without a Lebron or Cupcake, I think that's your best case scenario

If you had added a Pul George level player to that roster, then were they a contender? That’s kind of my hope based upon what I think we currently have and will do. Build a solid roster, don’t screw yourself with bad contracts and still have the assets to get the big fish when he’s available. The Lillard/ McCollum blazers were decent but they haven’t been able to add the missing piece. We had so many assets that I think we can do it.

Shai is very hard to judge. He has had very respectable first 2 years but when you look at individual skills is hard.
How would you judge his skills in these categories? Average? Good? All-Star

Passing?
Outside shooting?
Slashing?
Post game?
Defense?
Speed?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#44 » by mr570 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:44 pm

I think RJ Hampton is a more athletic Shai. Kinda want to see us take a chance on him...
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

Post#45 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:09 am

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:20 am

Thabo Sefolosha wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#47 » by itzmrgigglez » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:23 am

The rebuild is about to begin:

Who we getting?

Kenny Atkinson
Dave Joeger
David Fizdale
Mark Jackson

Who else interest y’all?
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,829

Post#48 » by QPR » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:24 am

I don't think it made sense for either side tbh. His stock is high and there are a couple of enticing jobs likely to be available (Philly, Indiana, NO).
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#49 » by jake_swivel » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:29 am

itzmrgigglez wrote:The rebuild is about to begin:

Who we getting?

Kenny Atkinson
Dave Joeger
David Fizdale
Mark Jackson

Who else interest y’all?

Definitely not mark Jackson.

Dave joerger is a dude who wins more than he should which is great for a playoff team, but I don’t think that’s what we are going for. Same with Fizdale. I’d take Atkinson. Developed the kids in Brooklyn. Brett brown-ish kinda guy to get through our “the process”. Speaking of, he fits too, since he was just fired, although the talk about a lack of accountability is worrisome. He took philly through the doldrums, though.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#50 » by jambalaya » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:38 am

ThunderCeltic
Junior
And1: 358

Re: Thunder and Donovan parts ways 

Post#51 » by ThunderCeltic » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:40 am

Hello Nick Collison. Kenny Atkinson maybe..
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:40 am

"We had planned to sit down at the end of the season and discuss the best way to move forward for both of us. After those discussions, it became apparent that we couldn't provide him the information on the future direction of the team over the next several seasons to give him the level of clarity that he understandably desires at this stage of his career," Thunder executive vice president and general manager Sam Presti said in a statement.

"Therefore, we close this chapter and reflect fondly on all that he has given to the team, organization and community. Billy will always have a place in the Thunder family."
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#53 » by Old Man Game » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:41 am

I could see Presti hiring internally (Daigneault) or maybe repatriating some recent departure like Darko or Mark Bryant. You know how much he loves known quantities versus the unknown. And crucially, all those guys all have a history of teaching the game.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Old Man Game » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:42 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
"We had planned to sit down at the end of the season and discuss the best way to move forward for both of us. After those discussions, it became apparent that we couldn't provide him the information on the future direction of the team over the next several seasons to give him the level of clarity that he understandably desires at this stage of his career," Thunder executive vice president and general manager Sam Presti said in a statement.

"Therefore, we close this chapter and reflect fondly on all that he has given to the team, organization and community. Billy will always have a place in the Thunder family."

Just between me and anyone reading here, I think the guy is extremely lucky his career here was bookended first by KD and at the end by CP3. Both of them made him look like a better NBA coach than he really is in my estimation.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Re: Thunder and Donovan part ways 

Post#55 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:57 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#56 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:59 am

Ownership likely doesn't want to pay him what he's worth and Donovan likely wants to coach a better team over the next few years. No telling how OKC is going to look with Paul and Gallinari likely gone after this season and Adams $25M expiring next season...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:00 am

Old Man Game wrote:I could see Presti hiring internally (Daigneault) or maybe repatriating some recent departure like Darko or Mark Bryant. You know how much he loves known quantities versus the unknown. And crucially, all those guys all have a history of teaching the game.

Other than Atkinson, I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on an unproven up and comer. Stackhouse is a name I’ve heard tossed around for a while. I’m not going to pretend I have any idea what assistants would be good coaches but I’m not as interested in most retread options.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#58 » by jambalaya » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:03 am

Definitely not Fizdale.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:03 am

jambalaya wrote:According to Woj.

I’m going to merge this, not because it isn’t deserving of its own thread but since we’ve got two threads going and so few posters it will get better discussion here.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Old Man Game » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:15 am

Ya know, thinking back on his time here I'm reminded of how hard they reportedly pitched Al Horford in that offseason that KD eventually ended up leaving. I bet the belief he could recruit his old college player that offseason is the whole reason they hired him in the first place. But Durant blew everything up.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder