2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, ThunderBolt

thedoppelganger
Senior
Posts: 657
And1: 489
Joined: Aug 02, 2013
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:40 pm

With college basketball starting up tomorrow, Vecenie and Givony released early 2021 rankings this morning:

Vecenie:
1 - Cade Cunningham (Oklahoma State)
2 - Jalen Green (G-League)
3 - Brandon Boston (Kentucky)
4 - Jonathan Kuminga (G-League)
5 - Keon Johnson (Tennessee)
6 - Evan Mobley (USC)
7 - Ziaire Williams (Stanford)
8 - Terrence Clarke (Kentucky)
9 - Scottie Barnes (Florida State)
10 - Usman Garuba (Real Madrid)

Givony:
1 - Cunningham
2 - Green
3 - Boston
4 - Mobley
5 - Williams
6 - Jalen Johnson (Duke)
7 - Keon Johnson
8 - Barnes
9 - Cuminga
10 - Caleb Love (UNC)
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Vecenie wrote...
Asmentioned above, I love the talent at the top of the 2021 NBA Draft. It’s a considerably deeper draft within the top half of the lottery than the 2020 iteration was. And yet, I still think of it as “The Cade Cunningham Draft” at this stage. He’s not only one of the best prospects I’ve evaluated at the high school level, but also one of my favorite players to watch. Everything about Cunningham looks likely to translate at a high level in the NBA, and he gets better every time I see him.


Cade’s first game will be on ESPN tomorrow at 3pm cst.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 8,004
And1: 3,534
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#3 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Presti plz, ask to Cade to play like **** this season.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Presti plz, ask to Cade to play like **** this season.

Reading the article, there are definitely other guys that are very good and can put themselves as comparable prospects. Everything about Cade makes sense as the guy to hope for but it’s way too early to fall in love with one guy. Jalen Green and BJ Boston look pretty good too.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 8,004
And1: 3,534
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#5 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:59 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Presti plz, ask to Cade to play like **** this season.

Reading the article, there are definitely other guys that are very good and can put themselves as comparable prospects. Everything about Cade makes sense as the guy to hope for but it’s way too early to fall in love with one guy. Jalen Green and BJ Boston look pretty good too.


sure there are a lot of good players. I feel like Green is the only one that is close to Cade but I can be wrong.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Presti plz, ask to Cade to play like **** this season.

Reading the article, there are definitely other guys that are very good and can put themselves as comparable prospects. Everything about Cade makes sense as the guy to hope for but it’s way too early to fall in love with one guy. Jalen Green and BJ Boston look pretty good too.


sure there are a lot of good players. I feel like Green is the only one that is close to Cade but I can be wrong.

Maybe but Boston is a guy that went up vecenies board in the last few months. Players make big leaps right now in their development.
namlede
Sophomore
Posts: 115
And1: 61
Joined: Nov 08, 2020

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#7 » by namlede » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm

How much would you be willing to give up to get Cade? Would it be worth it? I feel like if he is a Luka/Zion level prospect you give up almost anything. Luckily for us we have a bunch to give up although I'm not sure if Presti is wired that way to give up half our farm for 1 guy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#8 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:15 pm

namlede wrote:How much would you be willing to give up to get Cade? Would it be worth it? I feel like if he is a Luka/Zion level prospect you give up almost anything. Luckily for us we have a bunch to give up although I'm not sure if Presti is wired that way to give up half our farm for 1 guy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

It’s hard to say right now. If he’s as good as advertised, yes you give up what you need to. However are we trying to move up from number 2,5 or 9? How good do the other prospects look? Can we get there with only picks? Do we have to give up shai? What kind of year will shai have just had?
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm

I'm an OSU fan and I'll go on record right now that I would very strongly doubt Cade ends up the top pick. Might not even end up top three. Just putting too much on one dude with mediocre teammates, a so-so coach, and a fairly tough conference schedule.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I'm an OSU fan and I'll go on record right now that I would very strongly doubt Cade ends up the top pick. Might not even end up top three. Just putting too much on one dude with mediocre teammates, a so-so coach, and a fairly tough conference schedule.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

What’s different about Cade’s situation than Anthony Edwards at UGA or Ben Simmons at LSU?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 8,004
And1: 3,534
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#11 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
namlede wrote:How much would you be willing to give up to get Cade? Would it be worth it? I feel like if he is a Luka/Zion level prospect you give up almost anything. Luckily for us we have a bunch to give up although I'm not sure if Presti is wired that way to give up half our farm for 1 guy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

It’s hard to say right now. If he’s as good as advertised, yes you give up what you need to. However are we trying to move up from number 2,5 or 9? How good do the other prospects look? Can we get there with only picks? Do we have to give up shai? What kind of year will shai have just had?


the issue is that other teams will ask for SGA, no less. I would give up someone like Bazley (if he has a decent/good season) and a FRP if we are +/-4th in the draft. Teams will probably pass though
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#12 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:35 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
namlede wrote:How much would you be willing to give up to get Cade? Would it be worth it? I feel like if he is a Luka/Zion level prospect you give up almost anything. Luckily for us we have a bunch to give up although I'm not sure if Presti is wired that way to give up half our farm for 1 guy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

It’s hard to say right now. If he’s as good as advertised, yes you give up what you need to. However are we trying to move up from number 2,5 or 9? How good do the other prospects look? Can we get there with only picks? Do we have to give up shai? What kind of year will shai have just had?


the issue is that other teams will ask for SGA, no less. I would give up someone like Bazley (if he has a decent/good season) and a FRP if we are +/-4th in the draft. Teams will probably pass though

Well depending on what transpires this year, it might be worth it. I’m a huge fan of shai but he still has areas he need to grow. If shai improves enough that it’s not worth it to trade him to move up, that’s a good thing too. It’s too early to worry about the success of the rebuild hinging on if we get Cade or not.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#13 » by Old Man Game » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:36 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I'm an OSU fan and I'll go on record right now that I would very strongly doubt Cade ends up the top pick. Might not even end up top three. Just putting too much on one dude with mediocre teammates, a so-so coach, and a fairly tough conference schedule.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

What’s different about Cade’s situation than Anthony Edwards at UGA or Ben Simmons at LSU?
Well, I'm not familiar with what the scuttlebutt was in their situations. I'm just saying from years of following OSU hoops I have significant doubts about the season he'll be able to put together. We lost Yor Anei to transfer for one and I'm not sure anyone can step into that role. If the team struggles I'm afraid Cunningham's stock will take a hit.

Also, NCAA banned us from the tournament over that Lamont Evans b.s., so it's guaranteed he'll miss the chance to showcase himself whereas the kid at Kentucky will likely get to.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#14 » by spearsy23 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:46 am

Didn't Simmons miss the tourney on merit
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#15 » by Old Man Game » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Okay feeling a little less confident about my Cunningham prediction after watching him play a bit. He hits these jobbers with that in and out dribble on a delayed break and gets straight to the rim. Guy is clearly next level for this level of ball.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
namlede
Sophomore
Posts: 115
And1: 61
Joined: Nov 08, 2020

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#16 » by namlede » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Really impressed with his defense, very nice iq. Looked a little sloppy offensively but that was probably nerves. I'd expect more polish in the 2nd half.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#17 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:32 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Okay feeling a little less confident about my Cunningham prediction after watching him play a bit. He hits these jobbers with that in and out dribble on a delayed break and gets straight to the rim. Guy is clearly next level for this level of ball.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

I didn’t get to see most of the game, just the last bit of the second half and highlights. He just seems like a guy that can control the pace of the game and will have an even greater impact than his numbers suggest.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 8,004
And1: 3,534
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#18 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:42 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Okay feeling a little less confident about my Cunningham prediction after watching him play a bit. He hits these jobbers with that in and out dribble on a delayed break and gets straight to the rim. Guy is clearly next level for this level of ball.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app


I should stop watching his games. will be pissed if we don't get the first pick.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,238
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 am

So I was thinking about the teams that are our competition for Cade.


Orlando- drafted a pg in Anthony and will be in contention for playoffs as roster stands.
Charlotte- see above/Lamelo.
Chicago- they have enough young guys with experience they should be in playoff contention. I don’t think white is their future pg.
Cleveland- they’ll be bad but they had 2 point guards already on the roster with Garland and Sexton.
Detroit- they should be bad but it’s almost as of they think they won’t be, especially if Blake is healthy. Just drafted a pg, Killian Hayes.
NYK - they’ll be bad and a legitimate threat to draft Cade.
Memphis- have Morant and should be better than us
Sac- have fox and should be better than us, but maybe not by much.
Washington- if healthy they shouldn’t be in contention for Cade despite being bad last year.
New Orleans-they should be toogood for the top pick but would likely take Cade.
San Antonio- spurs have been rumored to be willing to move on for Murray but we know Popovich won’t tank.


My point isn’t that all of this is probable but some of it could be possible.

I do think a lot of these teams that would want to draft him will be better than us, so the lotto odds are in our favor.
I wouldn’t be surprised if some teams like Sacramento or Memphis would draft for fit and pass on Cade in favor of Green since they already have Fox and Morant. Others like Cleveland and Charlotte might do the same. For the pistons let’s hope Killian Hayes is really good and they join the group that drafts for fit.

Teams like the Bulls, Magic, and Pelicans should be better than us but I doubt they feel they have their point guards of the future with White, Anthony, Fultz and Ball. It doesn’t hurt us if those guys play really well this year.

The Knicks are probably the one team that I can’t find the silver lining that they’ll either be in playoff contention or might not want the best pg in the draft.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#20 » by Old Man Game » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:43 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Okay feeling a little less confident about my Cunningham prediction after watching him play a bit. He hits these jobbers with that in and out dribble on a delayed break and gets straight to the rim. Guy is clearly next level for this level of ball.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

I didn’t get to see most of the game, just the last bit of the second half and highlights. He just seems like a guy that can control the pace of the game and will have an even greater impact than his numbers suggest.
Watching him I was reminded of Luka saying scoring in the NBA was easier than Europe. upfront that sounds ridiculous but then you consider how much better his teammates are on average in the NBA versus the league he's playing in currently and it starts to seem like it makes a sort of sense.

I kind of got the same feeling watching Cade. Defense was able to just kind of load up on him and I don't think they'll be able to get away with that kind of stuff at the next level to the same extent.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder