Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1481 » by EmperorLocky » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:10 am

GIDDEY GIDDEY GIDDEY OI OI OI
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,546

Post#1482 » by Devilanche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:12 am

6 :I’m happy with Giddey here. Have always like his playstyle. If we aren’t interested in Kuminga he’s at least amongst the better options.
16 : I can get why we want future picks but thought we could have take a chance on the bigs here with all 3 still around . Value wise I don’t think it’s bad.
18: Would have preferred a big but no issues with Mann selected here .
34/36 : would have stayed put instead of moving both for 32 but at this stage of the draft . If who we picks is the one that is still on a roster after the rookie contract that’s a good pick. Value loss here to me but it’s ok
55: end of the draft pick. Let see what he got

Not getting my hopes up for free agency at this current rate though.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1483 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 am

Devilanche wrote:6 :I’m happy with Giddey here. Have always like his playstyle. If we aren’t interested in Kuminga he’s at least amongst the better options.
16 : I can get why we want future picks but thought we could have take a chance on the bigs here with all 3 still around . Value wise I don’t think it’s bad.
18: Would have preferred a big but no issues with Mann selected here .
34/36 : would have stayed put instead of moving both for 32 but at this stage of the draft . If who we picks is the one that is still on a roster after the rookie contract that’s a good pick. Value loss here to me but it’s ok
55: end of the draft pick. Let see what he got

Not getting my hopes up for free agency at this current rate though.

Yep, about how I feel. Really intrigued by Giddey, the rest are fine even if not my first choice. I don't get the 32 for 34/36 but whatever.

Seems from Woj like Kemba may not be around long.

Edit: And thinking more, a lot of why I liked a guy like Suggs was to take pressure off SGA having to do all the creation. Giddey is kind of another version of that.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#1484 » by getrichordie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:51 am

retrobro90 wrote:I would've taken Sengun at 16 instead of kicking the can down the road. Mann/JRE aren't who I would've picked at their respective spots but happy we took 3 guys with solid to great BBIQs. Seem like 3 great kids too. I know almost nothing about Wiggins.

Wiggins has a real shot of sticking in the NBA as a rotation wing. Superb athlete. Experienced. Shot it well at times. Sort of does everything solidly but not elite at any one thing. Could be cut from a similar cloth as Jae Crowder in terms of strengths, weaknesses, and role.

Presti passing on Sengun at 16 and 18 is interesting. Initial thoughts are that he is playing the long game and doesn't want to overload the roster with too many youngin's that need touches. Too many chefs in the kitchen and what not...

Mann, IMO, is a lot better than people think. Really wish Primo would've fallen to us. Had him 14th on my board. Was quite shocked when Spurs took him at 12.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#1485 » by Catchall » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 am

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#1486 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:26 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,124

Post#1487 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

surprised he wasn't drafted. He made his own hype on twitter though but most mocks had him as a second rounder
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1488 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

surprised he wasn't drafted. He made his own hype on twitter though but most mocks had him as a second rounder

There were quite a few others putting him on draft boards too. The truth is not everyone gets an equal shot. He might be good enough but being in Belgium didn’t help him.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1489 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:42 am

So pissed about the draft that I don't even care about this Favors trade.

I love Giddey so I'm fine with that pick. Don't underrstand the rest. I have #16 in a good draft being more valuable for a team without 10 players than two future picks heavily protected (one top 18 protected for 2 years) and the 18th could have been made in the second round. Also 34 & 36 for 32 is TERRIBLE value and if u see a trade like this u think you are gonna pick a projected FRP that ended up falling like Maledon last year, but nope.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1490 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:50 am

Favors into a TPE for a 2025 2nd round pick that we will eventually trade for a top 50 protected 2031 SRP?
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,386

Post#1491 » by WestbrookGOATed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:50 am

Dadouv47 wrote:So pissed about the draft that I don't even care about this Favors trade.

I love Giddey so I'm fine with that pick. Don't underrstand the rest. I have #16 in a good draft being more valuable for a team without 10 players than two future picks heavily protected (one top 18 protected for 2 years) and the 18th could have been made in the second round. Also 34 & 36 for 32 is TERRIBLE value and if u see a trade like this u think you are gonna pick a projected FRP that ended up falling like Maledon last year, but nope.
Not sure Mann would've been there in the 2nd. He's a tremendous shooter. I like the pick. Haven't done much research on Wiggins yet.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1492 » by Devilanche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 am

Dadouv47 wrote:So pissed about the draft that I don't even care about this Favors trade.

If you ignore the trades , you can probably understand the selections.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1493 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 am

Just go back and look at previous drafts and see who has developed and who hasn’t. Proper expectations are the key. I’m somewhat disappointed but it’s more because we weren’t able to move up with any of our first round picks.

Giddey is a surprise but there is a pathway to him becoming a star. He is one of the youngest players in the draft and put up better NBL numbers than Lamelo. I don’t think I would have felt any better with any other player taken at six. They all scare me. I don’t see a guy like Wagner having as high of a ceiling as Giddey. Overall, I’m cool with it. The kid wants to be here and sounds mature beyond his years.

The 16& 18 stuff is my biggest frustration but…I’ve said we needed to start trying to push picks down the road and Sam did that. Just seeing it done during the draft when we’ve all talked ourselves in to prospects is frustrating. Doesn’t mean it was a wrong decision but I would have preferred consolidating them to move up. However if they really like Mann that much, why trade up for the guy when you can get assets and select the guy you want at a later pick?

The second round pick move was the worst on value but likely isn’t a huge deal. I think it’s clear that Sam is prioritizing giving the current guys on the roster a chance, like Krejci, Bazley, Theo, Poku and whoever else. Guys drafted in the second round likely only become players if they get minutes and we need to have them available. Which is worse, trading 34 and 36 for 32 or trading someone like Theo too early because we have too many guys? Tough to see that on draft night and maybe it’s the wrong decision but only time will tell.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1494 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am

I don’t understand why Zaire Williams was so coveted and Brandon Boston wasn’t.Regardless, it was a very gutsy move by Memphis. I heard Giddey and Wagner were the two they wanted so it sounds like their trade up might have backfired. I hope it works for them.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1495 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am

Devilanche wrote:

Then I have to ignore everything.

Bouknight at 11 with Hornets ok to move down/make trades; Moody at 14 pretty available because of Gs salary cap. Then you really have to HATE the three of Sengun/Garuba/Kai Jones for not picking one with 16 or 18. We need a big and we got lucky to be able to to pick the best big available (not named Mobley) and somehow Presti didn't want any of them. We are gonna look pretty stupid when Sengun (or Garuba) gonna kill it in Houston.

I think we all agree that our main goal is to surround Shai with good players. We may disagree on how to do it but It's hard to convince me that we made a good job for that. A SGA trade in the near future is more likely after this draft than any stupid rumor we read in the last few days.

Btw I was asking to move up for Giddey several times. I love the kid. I'm just not sure I like the fit with Shai and gonna need a lot of time to develop.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1496 » by Devilanche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 am

ThunderBolt wrote:

Just go back and look at previous drafts and see who has developed and who hasn’t. Proper expectations are the key. I’m somewhat disappointed but it’s more because we weren’t able to move up with any of our first round picks.

Giddey is a surprise but there is a pathway to him becoming a star. He is one of the youngest players in the draft and put up better NBL numbers than Lamelo. I don’t think I would have felt any better with any other player taken at six. They all scare me. I don’t see a guy like Wagner having as high of a ceiling as Giddey. Overall, I’m cool with it. The kid wants to be here and sounds mature beyond his years.

The 16& 18 stuff is my biggest frustration but…I’ve said we needed to start trying to push picks down the road and Sam did that. Just seeing it done during the draft when we’ve all talked ourselves in to prospects is frustrating. Doesn’t mean it was a wrong decision but I would have preferred consolidating them to move up. However if they really like Mann that much, why trade up for the guy when you can get assets and select the guy you want at a later pick?

The second round pick move was the worst on value but likely isn’t a huge deal. I think it’s clear that Sam is prioritizing giving the current guys on the roster a chance, like Krejci, Bazley, Theo, Poku and whoever else. Guys drafted in the second round likely only become players if they get minutes and we need to have them available. Which is worse, trading 34 and 36 for 32 or trading someone like Theo too early because we have too many guys? Tough to see that on draft night and maybe it’s the wrong decision but only time will tell.

I and1 this post cause it make sense but I hate how logical this is. It’s purely a minutes game . We don’t have the minutes to develop everyone we want.

I can come around to the 16 move though I wished we had get better protection on at least one of the future first .

The loss of value of the early second was marginal given what we do have and what we can still accumulate.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1497 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 am

Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1498 » by Devilanche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Bouknight at 11 with Hornets ok to move down/make trades; Moody at 14 pretty available because of Gs salary cap. Then you really have to HATE the three of Sengun/Garuba/Kai Jones for not picking one with 16 or 18. We need a big and we got lucky to be able to to pick the best big available (not named Mobley) and somehow Presti didn't want any of them. We are gonna look pretty stupid when Sengun (or Garuba) gonna kill it in Houston.

I think we all agree that our main goal is to surround Shai with good players. We may disagree on how to do it but It's hard to convince me that we made a good job for that. A SGA trade in the near future is more likely after this draft than any stupid rumor we read in the last few days.

Btw I was asking to move up for Giddey several times. I love the kid. I'm just not sure I like the fit with Shai and gonna need a lot of time to develop.

Oh I’m sure everyone is only annoyed with what happened between 10 and 36.

I don’t think Cha was willing to move down once bouknight falls to them and seems GSW wanted immediate help not future picks.

No comments no Sengun/Garuba/Kai
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1499 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

Devilanche wrote:
I and1 this post cause it make sense but I hate how logical this is. It’s purely a minutes game . We don’t have the minutes to develop everyone we want.

I can come around to the 16 move though I wished we had get better protection on at least one of the future first .

The loss of value of the early second was marginal given what we do have and what we can still accumulate.

We have to be logical. Our GM is a cyborg.
Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1500 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:36 am

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Oh I’m sure everyone is only annoyed with what happened between 10 and 36.

I don’t think Cha was willing to move down once bouknight falls to them and seems GSW wanted immediate help not future picks.

No comments no Sengun/Garuba/Kai

We got unlucky in the lottery so I can't complain about #6 because I like Giddey and the top 3 / top 5 was on another level.

It was pretty clear that our way to have a good draft night was from 11 to 36 and to me we lost A TON of value in each pick.

I have Charlotte doing better than us with only 11 & 19 compared to 6,16,18,35,36.

I don't get the #16 trade and will never understand it. Those two picks are TERRIBLE (Wizards one is "ok") and we need players. We have enough minutes for Centers/PFs :lol:

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder