2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: ThunderBolt, Dadouv47

User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1561 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Yeah, I'm confused by people that are 'tired of tanking'. We've done it for half of a shortened season so far guys.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1562 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I wish I could post the audio here, if any of you have a sirius streaming subscription go back and listen to this morning's show with Zach Harper and Amin El Hassin and Reggie Theus. They got into a talk about how nuts the Sengun trade was (to trade out of a pick that low for nothing but other picks). Basically said Sam Presti needs an intervention and that what he's doing is like what got Sam Hinkie into trouble (blatant tanking) but an even more extreme version of it.


I mean, yeah we're blatantly tanking. I don't know what trading a mid firsts for likely 2 future mid firsts has to do with that though. Is every team that passed on Segun also blatantly tanking?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 66,044
And1: 49,787
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1563 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 pm

It wasn't ever going to be a 1-2 year rebuild. And if trading 16 was that big an issue, rookies in general aren't helping you win. But it wasn't ever going to be a rushed rebuild most likely.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
User avatar
jake_swivel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 761
And1: 419
Joined: Jul 07, 2019

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1564 » by jake_swivel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:22 pm

I still think the kinds of dudes on this team when healthy are going to fight too hard for an effective (bottom 3 record) tank. They might not be super talented, but they're hard working, scrappy, team-oriented dudes. Coach D wasn't going with the program to purposely lose until the second half of the season, I assume in order to raise Al's value. If they're up to the same thing with Kemba this year, I think they end up with the same problem.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1565 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I wish I could post the audio here, if any of you have a sirius streaming subscription go back and listen to this morning's show with Zach Harper and Amin El Hassin and Reggie Theus. They got into a talk about how nuts the Sengun trade was (to trade out of a pick that low for nothing but other picks). Basically said Sam Presti needs an intervention and that what he's doing is like what got Sam Hinkie into trouble (blatant tanking) but an even more extreme version of it.


I mean, yeah we're blatantly tanking. I don't know what trading a mid firsts for likely 2 future mid firsts has to do with that though. Is every team that passed on Segun also blatantly tanking?


These dudes made a lot out of the fact that we traded out of a decent draft position only for more picks, which according them, isn't done. Amin said, (words to the effect of) that may be the lowest pick ever traded for more picks. The whole convo was interesting insofar as what it may reveal about perception of the team.

I think the biggest takeaway is that the fringes of the NBA media ecosystem (because NBA Radio is a niche/enthusiast product) are starting to drive a narrative about our team, which if it gains a foothold in the broader media, will be very unflattering. Whether or not that changes anything about how we handle our business I don't know but it could.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1566 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 pm

jake_swivel wrote:I still think the kinds of dudes on this team when healthy are going to fight too hard for an effective (bottom 3 record) tank. They might not be super talented, but they're hard working, scrappy, team-oriented dudes. Coach D wasn't going with the program to purposely lose until the second half of the season, I assume in order to raise Al's value. If they're up to the same thing with Kemba this year, I think they end up with the same problem.

There still seems to be a lot of info being shared about Kemba being moved before the season. I stumbled across this which seems like it would be good news for us.

Read on Twitter
User avatar
jake_swivel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 761
And1: 419
Joined: Jul 07, 2019

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1567 » by jake_swivel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
There still seems to be a lot of info being shared about Kemba being moved before the season. I stumbled across this which seems like it would be good news for us.

Read on Twitter


Good because avoiding a full fledged tank in order to get mid to late firsts is a pretty questionable strategy.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1568 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I wish I could post the audio here, if any of you have a sirius streaming subscription go back and listen to this morning's show with Zach Harper and Amin El Hassin and Reggie Theus. They got into a talk about how nuts the Sengun trade was (to trade out of a pick that low for nothing but other picks). Basically said Sam Presti needs an intervention and that what he's doing is like what got Sam Hinkie into trouble (blatant tanking) but an even more extreme version of it.


I mean, yeah we're blatantly tanking. I don't know what trading a mid firsts for likely 2 future mid firsts has to do with that though. Is every team that passed on Segun also blatantly tanking?


Amin said, (words to the effect of) that may be the lowest pick ever traded for more picks.


What? That's not even the lowest pick we were involved in trading for more picks last night?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
timO
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,916
And1: 1,145
Joined: Jul 03, 2018
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1569 » by timO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm

bbms wrote:I like the Giddey pick, seems like Prest is going for players with floor awareness.

But it hardly won't matter. Alperen Sengun is the best player in this draft class and imo Presti acted like a fool. Trade was god awful.


i cant understand why they dont take sengun :crazy: :banghead:
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1570 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:34 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
I mean, yeah we're blatantly tanking. I don't know what trading a mid firsts for likely 2 future mid firsts has to do with that though. Is every team that passed on Segun also blatantly tanking?


Amin said, (words to the effect of) that may be the lowest pick ever traded for more picks.


What? That's not even the lowest pick we were involved in trading for more picks last night?

Or did you mean lowest as in the closest to number 1? In which case I don't feel like going through draft history to see if it's happened before, but it feels like quibbling since late teens picks have been plenty of times.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1571 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:35 pm

timO wrote:
bbms wrote:I like the Giddey pick, seems like Prest is going for players with floor awareness.

But it hardly won't matter. Alperen Sengun is the best player in this draft class and imo Presti acted like a fool. Trade was god awful.


i cant understand why they dont take sengun :crazy: :banghead:

Why did 14ish other teams not take him?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1572 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:42 pm

namlede wrote:nice read, too many thunder fans are down on this draft but you can spin it anyway you want good or bad.

yes we gave up #16 for future late firsts. but when we are competing in the playoffs an extra 1st to find a role player will come in handy.

trading 34 and 36 for 32 is a bad value but Presti must have seen something in JRE, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. he does give off Collision vibes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

If we hit on Giddey, the draft will most likely will be considered a success regardless if that’s an oversimplification.
Mr Thunder Nick
Freshman
Posts: 60
And1: 10
Joined: Jul 26, 2021
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1573 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:22 pm

Don't be too negative, concerning the draft. I think we drafted great talent, and if we would do that each draft, we also would have a problem with too much good players.

For sure the Sengun decision is very special, but Sam and his team have certainly a good reason for that.
Five rookies are a lot of young people, and next year we could have 4 first round picks too. So we have to search for a good mix from talented and veteran players. Don't forget, we have already a lot of young guys on our roster.

I trust Sam for his Thunder-way
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1574 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:28 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:Don't be too negative, concerning the draft. I think we drafted great talent, and if we would do that each draft, we also would have a problem with too much good players.

For sure the Sengun decision is very special, but Sam and his team have certainly a good reason for that.
Five rookies are a lot of young people, and next year we could have 4 first round picks too. So we have to search for a good mix from talented and veteran players. Don't forget, we have already a lot of young guys on our roster.

I trust Sam for his Thunder-way

I trust Sam but even good GMs have misses.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1575 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:36 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
I mean, yeah we're blatantly tanking. I don't know what trading a mid firsts for likely 2 future mid firsts has to do with that though. Is every team that passed on Segun also blatantly tanking?


Amin said, (words to the effect of) that may be the lowest pick ever traded for more picks.


What? That's not even the lowest pick we were involved in trading for more picks last night?


Low as in low number (16) not low as in low value (high number).
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1576 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 pm

I know very little about JRE but what I've seen is sort of underwhelming. 6'9" with the same wingspan probably isn't exactly going to be a defensive terror. What am I missing?
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1577 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I know very little about JRE but what I've seen is sort of underwhelming. 6'9" with the same wingspan probably isn't exactly going to be a defensive terror. What am I missing?

I don’t think much. I’m probably more optimistic about Wiggins than him.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1578 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I know very little about JRE but what I've seen is sort of underwhelming. 6'9" with the same wingspan probably isn't exactly going to be a defensive terror. What am I missing?

I don’t think much. I’m probably more optimistic about Wiggins than him.

Yikes.

I guess for me I thinkanybody who is mad we didn't draft sengun should be happy we drafted jre
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1579 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
I guess for me I think anybody who is mad we didn't draft sengun should be happy we drafted jre


Why do you say that? They appear to be totally different in all regards, no?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1580 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 pm

The #16 trade is one of the worst moves Presti ever made. We got unlucky during this all lottery/draft and FINALLY we got a moment of luck when we were able to pick between the 3 "best" bigs in this draft class behind Mobley. I think Sengun has star potential all over him and I may be wrong and would also accept if Prest didn't like Sengun and picked Garuba or Kai Jones instead, but trading for TERRIBLE future picks made no sense at all. Also pretty sure we coul have gotten a distant Nets FRP instead of those garbage picks.
Houston made the smart move...i doubt both Sengun or Garuba gonna be bust. Their ceiling is really high and you need to take the gamble. We have a terrible squad with a new big with a very low ceiling and Bazley/Roby at the PF position.

I'm fine with building through the draft but that's not what Presti did yesterday. We lack young players in several positions so he had no reason to trade that pick, I really can't see a single good reason.

The value of every single pick was bad. I won't argue about Giddey because if you love the guy, you won't move down 2-3 spots and risk losing him, but #16 was crazy, Mann at 18 is pretty high but okay why not, and 34/36 for 32 is madness for a low ceiling big man.
Maybe Presti was trying to do too much things at the same time with all those picks but you can't be happy about the outcome. Feels like Presti is trying to build a team to surround Poku in his prime, not SGA.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder