2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,126

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#161 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Although disappointing if we don’t get a top 5 pick, I think I’ve talked myself in to being content if we get Scottie Barnes. He’s such a unique player.

Still gonna wait 15-20 games before giving up on a worst 3 record (which isn't a lock for a top 5 pick though).

Main issue is that the Wolves are sooooo bad and I don't see how they could improve, even with a trade.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,204

Post#162 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:56 pm

He's been inconsistent and injured but he's also shown some flashes.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bbms
Analyst
And1: 532

Post#163 » by bbms » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 am

2021 Draft Picks tracked:

Golden State Warriors: -1.75 SRS (19th)
Houston Rockets: -2.52 SRS (23rd)
Miami Heat: -3.75 SRS (25th)
Oklahoma City Thunder: -7.05 SRS (27th)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#164 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 am

bbms wrote:2021 Draft Picks tracked:

Miami still really solid without Butler and some other role players. Will he happy if this pick ends up being around 18 to 20.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#165 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43 pm

If this guy doesn't start climbing up draft boards, he looks like a great option for the golden state pick or Minny second round pick. He looks light years ahead of Poku.

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#166 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

Miami still really solid without Butler and some other role players. Will he happy if this pick ends up being around 18 to 20.

Am I missing something? They're 3-7 without butler.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#167 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Am I missing something? They're 3-7 without butler.

Not an easy schedule. Also they are missing Herro and Bradley. Watched most of their games and they are still pretty decent.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#168 » by jambalaya » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Kispert and Springer look like key considerations for at least one of their top picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#169 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:35 pm

jambalaya wrote:Kispert and Springer look like key considerations for at least one of their top picks.

Kispert for sure. Short of getting injured he's all but a sure thing when it comes to his skillset translating. Springer doesn't really pass my eye test though. Don't think he's skilled enough as a scorer to get away with his lack of first step athleticism. Would rather have Keon if we're picking Tennessee guys. (Also like Pons but as a mid to late 2nd round guy)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
jambalaya wrote:Kispert
and Springer look like key considerations for at least one of their top picks.

Kispert for sure. Short of getting injured he's all but a sure thing when it comes to his skillset translating. Springer doesn't really pass my eye test though. Don't think he's skilled enough as a scorer to get away with his lack of first step athleticism. Would rather have Keon if we're picking Tennessee guys. (Also like Pons but as a mid to late 2nd round guy)

How is kispert defensively?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#171 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:50 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
jambalaya wrote:Kispert
and Springer look like key considerations for at least one of their top picks.

At the college level hes fine. Hes got the requisite size to switch and knows where to be/when to help. Hes probably not gonna become a stopper given his physical tools but I think at the next level he'll be someone that can play in a playoff setting without being a liability (though I can see him getting exchanged in late game scenarios for offense/defense substitutions)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:00 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

At the college level hes fine. Hes got the requisite size to switch and knows where to be/when to help. Hes probably not gonna become a stopper given his physical tools but I think at the next level he'll be someone that can play in a playoff setting without being a liability (though I can see him getting exchanged in late game scenarios for offense/defense substitutions)

I kind of like the idea of taking a guy like him with our second pick. He doesn’t have the ceiling of a Jalen Green but seems like a high floor player that is nba ready. It’s going to quickly get tough to find minutes for all of our picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#173 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:53 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:How is kispert defensively?

I kind of like the idea of taking a guy like him with our second pick. He doesn’t have the ceiling of a Jalen Green but seems like a high floor player that is nba ready. It’s going to quickly get tough to find minutes for all of our picks.

Yeah I like Kispert and I think he's got decent upside if his reps with Timme pay off into legit PnR ball handler skills at the next level. I'd definitely take Green ahead of him though just because I think OKC should be prioritizing youth/athleticism right now even with a potential minutes crunch for guys that would need playing time. All comes down to who's available and what pick we're talking about though. I probably have Kispert around 13th right now if it's OKC's big board and maybe 9th for best available given his floor is so high.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

Yeah I like Kispert and I think he's got decent upside if his reps with Timme pay off into legit PnR ball handler skills at the next level. I'd definitely take Green ahead of him though just because I think OKC should be prioritizing youth/athleticism right now even with a potential minutes crunch for guys that would need playing time. All comes down to who's available and what pick we're talking about though. I probably have Kispert around 13th right now if it's OKC's big board and maybe 9th for best available given his floor is so high.

I didn’t word that very well. Green is definitely above Kispert. However assuming we draft green and the Houston/Miami pick is mid to late lottery, I’m open to taking a more ready nba player like Kispert with the later pick. I mention green because I think he’s immensely talented but he or Kuminga might need the most development of top five guys. If you have to chose between a guy like Boston(insert other talented/raw player) or Kispert with our other pick, what’s best long term for making sure we get the most value for our picks? A player like Kispert likely contributors from day one. This makes him either a potentially great role player or trade piece if we want to consolidate assets for a big move.

This was probably the best year to draft a player like Poku so that he gets the maximum opportunity. Two years from now a player like him might not get anywhere close the the same level of playing time as he is now. Not only does he not develop but his trade value diminishes. Maybe I’m over thinking it but I could see how if we aren’t careful, we could waste some picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#175 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:15 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I kind of like the idea of taking a guy like him with our second pick. He doesn’t have the ceiling of a Jalen Green but seems like a high floor player that is nba ready. It’s going to quickly get tough to find minutes for all of our picks.

I didn’t word that very well. Green is definitely above Kispert. However assuming we draft green and the Houston/Miami pick is mid to late lottery, I’m open to taking a more ready nba player like Kispert with the later pick. I mention green because I think he’s immensely talented but he or Kuminga might need the most development of top five guys. If you have to chose between a guy like Boston(insert other talented/raw player) or Kispert with our other pick, what’s best long term for making sure we get the most value for our picks? A player like Kispert likely contributors from day one. This makes him either a potentially great role player or trade piece if we want to consolidate assets for a big move.

This was probably the best year to draft a player like Poku so that he gets the maximum opportunity. Two years from now a player like him might not get anywhere close the the same level of playing time as he is now. Not only does he not develop but his trade value diminishes. Maybe I’m over thinking it but I could see how if we aren’t careful, we could waste some picks.

Yeah I see your point about Kispert just from extracting value from his readiness/position/skillset whether we keep him or move him later on in a bigger deal. Think there's a chance he's getting wrongfully put in a box with most peoples' Joe Harris comps. He's probably somewhere close to that but there's nothing that says he can't be more functional and not just an elite play finisher/movement shooter. Vecenie obviously salivates over him and thinks he's a bonafide stud but he also nearly expunged fluids every time he mentioned Marvin Bagley's fluid athleticism two years ago.

I guess it's also worth considering that OKC's '22 pick is still owed and lotto protected for this discussion. Kispert is certainly a day 1 contributor but that might not be what they ultimately prioritize (or maybe they see this solution with Gary Trent) for the 21-22 season. I'd take him over Boston (I know you just used him as an example) but it's legit maddening trying to evaluate anyone at UK anymore.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#176 » by namlede » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:10 am

If we don't get #1 and Cade I think Presti's #2 target will be Kuminga imo. He just checks all the boxes, great worker, humble, developing offensive skills, aggressive, athletic, strong, versatile defender, fits like a glove with our current team.

If we get #2 pick I wouldn't be surprised if Sam picks him over Suggs, Mobley or Green.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:11 pm

namlede wrote:If we don't get #1 and Cade I think Presti's #2 target will be Kuminga imo. He just checks all the boxes, great worker, humble, developing offensive skills, aggressive, athletic, strong, versatile defender, fits like a glove with our current team.

If we get #2 pick I wouldn't be surprised if Sam picks him over Suggs, Mobley or Green.

If he looks the same in the g league as he has so far, that’s fine with me. Right now I’m more concerned we won’t get a top 5 pick.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#178 » by jambalaya » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:34 am

ThunderBolt wrote:If this guy doesn't start climbing up draft boards, he looks like a great option for the golden state pick or Minny second round pick. He looks light years ahead of Poku.

His highlights are nice. Moderate level of competition. Will want to see full game or weakness video. If they want him to join Pokusevski and Krajic that would suggests a run n gun style. Not sure you can do that and get an above average defense at same time. But perhaps they could try a split personality (starters / bench) model.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 532

Post#179 » by bbms » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:13 am

namlede wrote:If we don't get #1 and Cade I think Presti's #2 target will be Kuminga imo. He just checks all the boxes, great worker, humble, developing offensive skills, aggressive, athletic, strong, versatile defender, fits like a glove with our current team.

TBH I feel Cade is being a little overrated. I get it, he's very talented and smart, but when was the last time a player with his physical profile went 1st overall? I think Mobley, Kuminga and Green are every bit as top-tier prospects as Cade.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm not a fan of undersized guards for Sharife Cooper has some Cp3 in him. He doesn't really seem like a Presi guy but the talent is pretty fun to watch.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder