12/29/20 | G4: Orlando Magic vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 7PM CST

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Player(s) of the Game

Isaiah Roby (19 PTS, 7 REB on 9-12 FG, 1-2 3P, 0-3 FT)
63%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (23 PTS, 7 REB, 7 AST on 8-10 FG, 3-3 3P, 4-5 FT)
38%
Luguentz Dort (15 PTS on 6-14 FG, 3-8 3P, 0-2 FT)
No votes
Mike Muscala (14 PTS, 5 REB on 5-6 FG, 3-4 3P)
No votes
Hamidou Diallo (13 PTS, 8 REB on 6-9 FG, 1-2 FT)
No votes
Thunder Starters
No votes
Thunder Bench
No votes
Other (specify below)
No votes

Total votes: 8

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: 12/29/20 | G4: Orlando Magic vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 7PM CST 

Post#21 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:37 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I think I have more confidence in a Dort three than one from poku.

That Poku shot looks totally busted to me. He shoots it from about his chest. It has very little arc on it. No wonder so many of them front rim. Hopefully in the offseason the guy works with a shooting coach and starts over on that form.

I’m curious if we send him to the g league bubble. I doubt we do but he’s pretty lost right now.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#22 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:49 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I think I have more confidence in a Dort three than one from poku.

That Poku shot looks totally busted to me. He shoots it from about his chest. It has very little arc on it. No wonder so many of them front rim. Hopefully in the offseason the guy works with a shooting coach and starts over on that form.

I’m curious if we send him to the g league bubble. I doubt we do but he’s pretty lost right now.

I swear he looks like the physicality of the game is intimidating him. He was a bit better about it tonight but for the most part when the ball goes his way he really hesitates to drive it and draw contact.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#23 » by retrobro90 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:33 am

Easily the most impressed I've been with Roby thus far. Looked A LOT more patient and in control tonight than he did in the preseason. Feel like the nerves settled a bit combined with the fact that he was being guarded by Vuc for most of the game. He definitely gave up a few at the rim but if his shooting is for real I can see his potential as a combo big.

Shai could miss the rest of the season and still get the max extension offer. He's looking that good. Can't believe his improvement as a playmaker considering his time of possession can't have changed that much. He really doesn't force anything or pound the air out of it unless it's an end of half/4th qtr situation. Embracing double teams. Finishing through contact. He's a pleasure to watch.

How bout Poku's nifty passing arsenal? Behind the back dime to Moose was slick. Think the form on his J could be fixed dramatically if he focused on his lower body and where he lands relative to where he jumps. Tends to dolphin kick and it leads to wildly different results.

I'm a little dubious on Dort's hot start. The shooting is going to come crashing back to reality. Still really like him as he's a high character guy who's showed he can be a long term 5th starter on a good team. That up and under lay up was nice though. If he had Diallo's vertical pop he would be an all star. Every attempt at the rim for him seems to come from sea level.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:59 am

retrobro90 wrote:Easily the most impressed I've been with Roby thus far. Looked A LOT more patient and in control tonight than he did in the preseason. Feel like the nerves settled a bit combined with the fact that he was being guarded by Vuc for most of the game. He definitely gave up a few at the rim but if his shooting is for real I can see his potential as a combo big.

Shai could miss the rest of the season and still get the max extension offer. He's looking that good. Can't believe his improvement as a playmaker considering his time of possession can't have changed that much. He really doesn't force anything or pound the air out of it unless it's an end of half/4th qtr situation. Embracing double teams. Finishing through contact. He's a pleasure to watch.

How bout Poku's nifty passing arsenal? Behind the back dime to Moose was slick. Think the form on his J could be fixed dramatically if he focused on his lower body and where he lands relative to where he jumps. Tends to dolphin kick and it leads to wildly different results.

I'm a little dubious on Dort's hot start. The shooting is going to come crashing back to reality. Still really like him as he's a high character guy who's showed he can be a long term 5th starter on a good team. That up and under lay up was nice though. If he had Diallo's vertical pop he would be an all star. Every attempt at the rim for him seems to come from sea level.

Imagine if Shai had Diallo's explosiveness. Sweet jeebus.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 am

Man, the losing is going to get interesting this season though. We've been so spoiled. We've lost games here and there over the years we shouldn't have but more often than not I'm not accustomed to a perpetual also ran team like Orlando coming into our gym and the game never really feeling all that much in doubt for them.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#26 » by jake_swivel » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 am

retrobro90 wrote:How bout Poku's nifty passing arsenal? Behind the back dime to Moose was slick. Think the form on his J could be fixed dramatically if he focused on his lower body and where he lands relative to where he jumps. Tends to dolphin kick and it leads to wildly different results.

Very much agree that his form is a function of lack of strength, although I think upper body strength factors in. It’s like junior high kids who shoot from the hip.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#27 » by getrichordie » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:48 am

I told y'all. Give. Roby. Time. Dude has game. Happy to see him get some serious minutes and be productive.

I thought Pokusevski looked real solid out there. His shot didn't fall, but he was creating good looks for Muscala and had a really nice one-handed cross court pass to Kenrich in the corner. Theo Maledon also made some really nice passes. It's pretty clear that this team has multiple guys who are pretty good passers with nice vision and thus our ball movement is going to be better than we've had in a long time. Donovan haters will be happy, but this has way more to do with the players we are putting on the floor this year.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:Easily the most impressed I've been with Roby thus far. Looked A LOT more patient and in control tonight than he did in the preseason. Feel like the nerves settled a bit combined with the fact that he was being guarded by Vuc for most of the game. He definitely gave up a few at the rim but if his shooting is for real I can see his potential as a combo big.

I've been really pleased with Shai. He's made his mistakes but I expected most of them. A lot of our fans are accustomed to instant stars that some don't realize that players like Shai grow in to their role. His defense hasn't been great but I don't expect to be with the load he is carrying on offense. There are always times where you could point the finger and say he should have done something better or different. I'm somewhat putting that on hold until he's got a true co-star alongside him to create offense.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:48 pm

The one thing that consistently does that annoys me is clapping for the ball at times like he's the man on offense. He's kind of got that Michael Porter Jr mentality but doesn't have the skill yet.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder