Moderators: Andre Roberstan, ThunderBolt

Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,766

Re: 1-10-21 OKC Thunder a Brooklyn Nets 5PM CST 

Post#41 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:55 am

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:The discussion is rather you can be a great leader without being a vocal leader. Imo the answer is yes, and Duncan is commonly sited as a great leader. Durant was compared to Duncan until he left for golden state. I think it's sour grapes to retroactively call him a bad leader when his entire time here here was the guy setting the tone for an organization that was constantly on the cusp of a championship, including an mvp season when russ went down.

I’m not calling him a bad leader, but saying it’s not his personality to be a vocal leader. Most championship teams need a vocal leader even if that player isn’t the best actual player. Saying that about KD isn’t any more of sour grapes than saying Russ lets his emotions get the best of him. It’s just who they are as players. You take the good with the bad. Even the best of the best are flawed.

Can you lead in other ways besides being vocal? I would say it's not dissimilar from trying to be a great offensive player that doesn't shoot well. It's going to be much more difficult.

The original discussion started with him being called "not much of a" leader. I don't think there's any basis for that.
He isn't much of a leader. I stand by that. Watch LeBron, Chris Paul, even recall Kobe and Jordan. Think about the way they interacted with their teammates and coaches. He's nothing like those guys. Having watched him his whole career this appears self evident. If it comes across as sour grapes so be it. I never thought he was great at that whilst here either. Sure we won a lot with him. He's incredible at basketball. This issue is distinct from that.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,376

Post#42 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Being a dick doesn't mean you're a good leader.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 352

Post#43 » by bbms » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:53 pm

If a Thunder fan couldn't be convinced of Durant's leadership in 2014, I don't know what can.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder