2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: ThunderBolt, Dadouv47

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 14,773
And1: 4,256
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#41 » by slick_watts » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:26 am

i would 100% take a stab on monk. 40% from three last year on high volume. if he had not had a down season at the rim he'd have been reasonably efficient on moderate usage. also a bit of a playmaker. we need to find talent and generate surplus value. worrying about positions and other things is putting the carriage before the horse.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#42 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:56 am

Dn4sty wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:From the OKCThunder.com article on today's festivities:

On Saturday the Thunder introduced rookies Josh Giddey, Tre Mann, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl and Aaron Wiggins to a crowd of team officials, community heroes and media. Freshly-pressed jerseys were presented and the four NBA dreamers held their Thunder threads proudly as Thunder General Manager and Executive Vice President Sam Presti beamed. The message from Presti was clear – the quartet of newcomers were selected first and foremost because of the type of people they are. In Oklahoma City, the type of citizen joining the organization is the highest priority.

https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/priority-on-the-people-210731

Sam Presti's lived here for over ten years and doesn't know anything about what Oklahomans want first and foremost from their star athletes.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/23/11099472/joe-mixon-arrest-suspension-video-oklahoma

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/06/19/oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield-pleads-guilty-to-three-charges-from-feb-25-arrest/

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/justin-blackmon-arrested-oklahoma-charged-dui/story?id=35890461

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/2502900/osu-star-charged-with-making-threat

WE WANT TO WIN YOU FREAKING CORPORATE SUIT NEW AGE B.S. ARTIST. Cut the cr@p and get players who can bring home some Ws.


Can you send me your address so I can send a you a “jump to conclusions mat”?

This quote is nothing but coach/gm speak. Quit reading more into it than that.


My point stands. Oklahoma by in large doesn't care at all about "team is community" and all this other madison avenue stuff that they shovel down our throats and I'm tired of being talked down to by this organization. Even if it isn't guiding decisions just shut the heck up about it. It's tired and thread bare rhetoric.
Dn4sty
Analyst
Posts: 3,274
And1: 1,779
Joined: Apr 11, 2017

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#43 » by Dn4sty » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:06 am

Old Man Game wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:From the OKCThunder.com article on today's festivities:


https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/priority-on-the-people-210731

Sam Presti's lived here for over ten years and doesn't know anything about what Oklahomans want first and foremost from their star athletes.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/23/11099472/joe-mixon-arrest-suspension-video-oklahoma

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/06/19/oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield-pleads-guilty-to-three-charges-from-feb-25-arrest/

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/justin-blackmon-arrested-oklahoma-charged-dui/story?id=35890461

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/2502900/osu-star-charged-with-making-threat

WE WANT TO WIN YOU FREAKING CORPORATE SUIT NEW AGE B.S. ARTIST. Cut the cr@p and get players who can bring home some Ws.


Can you send me your address so I can send a you a “jump to conclusions mat”?

This quote is nothing but coach/gm speak. Quit reading more into it than that.


My point stands. Oklahoma by in large doesn't care at all about "team is community" and all this other madison avenue stuff that they shovel down our throats and I'm tired of being talked down to by this organization. Even if it isn't guiding decisions just shut the heck up about it. It's tired and thread bare rhetoric.


I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one. I feel like this is a classic case of confirmation bias.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#44 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:58 am

Dn4sty wrote:
I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one. I feel like this is a classic case of confirmation bias.


What's the contrary evidence I'm ignoring here since you're accusing me of confirmation bias?

I'm trying to be fair but the closest thing I can think of is drafting McGary after his public weed issues. But smoking weed in college is probably the norm at this point. And as far as from a pure public messaging standpoint all we get is pablum like "team is community" and "sustainable success" etc.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 14,773
And1: 4,256
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#45 » by slick_watts » Mon Aug 2, 2021 12:46 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one. I feel like this is a classic case of confirmation bias.


What's the contrary evidence I'm ignoring here since you're accusing me of confirmation bias?

I'm trying to be fair but the closest thing I can think of is drafting McGary after his public weed issues. But smoking weed in college is probably the norm at this point. And as far as from a pure public messaging standpoint all we get is pablum like "team is community" and "sustainable success" etc.


for the record, smoking weed in college was the norm even back when i attended :)
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#46 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:26 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one. I feel like this is a classic case of confirmation bias.


What's the contrary evidence I'm ignoring here since you're accusing me of confirmation bias?

I'm trying to be fair but the closest thing I can think of is drafting McGary after his public weed issues. But smoking weed in college is probably the norm at this point. And as far as from a pure public messaging standpoint all we get is pablum like "team is community" and "sustainable success" etc.

I disagree with the starting point of "the fan base doesn't care about character. "
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#47 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:02 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one. I feel like this is a classic case of confirmation bias.


What's the contrary evidence I'm ignoring here since you're accusing me of confirmation bias?

I'm trying to be fair but the closest thing I can think of is drafting McGary after his public weed issues. But smoking weed in college is probably the norm at this point. And as far as from a pure public messaging standpoint all we get is pablum like "team is community" and "sustainable success" etc.


for the record, smoking weed in college was the norm even back when i attended :)


Now that weed is defacto legal in Oklahoma and literally legal in many states I sometimes wonder what college must be like. Its gotta be pretty nuts.
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#48 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:12 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one. I feel like this is a classic case of confirmation bias.


What's the contrary evidence I'm ignoring here since you're accusing me of confirmation bias?

I'm trying to be fair but the closest thing I can think of is drafting McGary after his public weed issues. But smoking weed in college is probably the norm at this point. And as far as from a pure public messaging standpoint all we get is pablum like "team is community" and "sustainable success" etc.

I disagree with the starting point of "the fan base doesn't care about character. "


You put that in quotes like I said it which I didn't. I said first and foremost ... we want to win, and we do and I think the body of evidence from Oklahoma sports supports easily that conclusion.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#49 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:06 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
What's the contrary evidence I'm ignoring here since you're accusing me of confirmation bias?

I'm trying to be fair but the closest thing I can think of is drafting McGary after his public weed issues. But smoking weed in college is probably the norm at this point. And as far as from a pure public messaging standpoint all we get is pablum like "team is community" and "sustainable success" etc.

I disagree with the starting point of "the fan base doesn't care about character. "


You put that in quotes like I said it which I didn't. I said first and foremost ... we want to win, and we do and I think the body of evidence from Oklahoma sports supports easily that conclusion.

Then I disagree with the premise that Sam Presti doesn't have the same priorities.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#50 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:55 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#51 » by spearsy23 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:27 pm

For the next 4 years anyway
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#52 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:54 am

spearsy23 wrote:For the next 4 years anyway


6, unless he forces his way out, or we decide to trade him. Where are you getting 4 from?
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#53 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:57 am

Mitch McGary smoked weed a couple of years too soon... SMH

Anybody know the full story on what happened with him, by the way? I know he went back to bowling, but not even a sniff from other NBA teams? Weird.
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#54 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:01 am

getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:For the next 4 years anyway


6, unless he forces his way out, or we decide to trade him. Where are you getting 4 from?

When it stops being 'home' and becomes 'I'll look at every option'
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
User avatar
spearsy23
RealGM
Posts: 19,240
And1: 7,459
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#55 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:01 am

getrichordie wrote:Mitch McGary smoked weed a couple of years too soon... SMH

Anybody know the full story on what happened with him, by the way? I know he went back to bowling, but not even a sniff from other NBA teams? Weird.

The weed wasn't the issue, the attitude was.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bbms
Analyst
Posts: 3,308
And1: 377
Joined: Dec 28, 2010
     

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#56 » by bbms » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:28 pm

What exactly is Derrick Favors upside?
bbms
Analyst
Posts: 3,308
And1: 377
Joined: Dec 28, 2010
     

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#57 » by bbms » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:43 pm

Kemba and OKC agreed to a buyout.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#58 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:36 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Old Man Game
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,857
And1: 3,943
Joined: Jul 15, 2012

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#59 » by Old Man Game » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:04 pm

Presti starting to get more heat for a blatant tank job. This closely tracks with what Amin El Hassan had said about him after the draft. It's like Process sixers on steroids.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-process-is-still-alive-in-oklahoma-city-where-the-thunder-have-all-but-opted-out-of-nba-competition-203602328.html

You have to wonder what the long term reception to this is going to be. Durant Westbrook and Harden isn't happening again. Ever. That's a once in a lifetime type of haul. We've got to have more than just 'bites at the apple' or whatever from the draft. That's part of the reason I was so annoyed about trading Sengun for yet more firsts. Advanced metrics had that kid as one of the best players in this draft, he falls into your lap and you launch him into orbit with Houston?
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#60 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:36 pm

Oh no. Select media members that don't have a clue are being critical. We can't draft three mvps so we should just be happy to be blessed with a franchise and draft 13th like the spurs.

Also, who was Philly's young all star they gave a max contract to during the process? Year two of our rebuild hasn't even started yet. Until the last 30 or so games of the games, the team was overachieving.These types of takes are so poorly researched.

Fourteen other teams passed on Sengun. A couple of prominent media members really liked him. Several others didn't. It's not like we traded down from six to twenty. We've drafted 7 players the last two years, Poku, Krejci, Theo, Giddey, JRE, Mann and Wiggins. We're never going to make click bait national media happy.
Read on Twitter

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder