2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

BlazersBroncos
Head Coach
And1: 5,007

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:40 pm

retrobro90 wrote:I know there's talk in the twitter-sphere and elsewhere about "Presti has been playing 4D chess in anticipation of this loaded big men class to select the final big man infinity stone to his starting 5" but there's no way I personally would ever make a selection in this draft other than taking the BPA regardless of position.

The college season can't get here soon enough either because I'm ready for either someone unexpected to vault themselves up the ladder or for one of the guys currently at the top to ease my skepticism.

Ya, I am not even sure why there is so much confidence in the big man class this year. There are 3 at the very top, but after them its pretty sparse and I am not sold on Paolo.

There is also a ton of CG talent at the top and to me, OKC doesnt have a G talent outside SGA that is a clear-cut starting caliber guy. You dont pass Hardy, Sallis, etc.

I also think Jovic ends up top 5, or even 3, when its all said and done. He would be my pick if Chet and Hardy are gone. With Duren having the chance to overtake him on my board. (Duren just has a bit of an old-school big man vibe, which isnt always bad and seems to be working with Ayton but I wish he had a bit more passing skill, or shooting skill, something to help the floor space)
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 578

Post#22 » by retrobro90 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I know there's talk in the twitter-sphere and elsewhere about "Presti has been playing 4D chess in anticipation of this loaded big men class to select the final big man infinity stone to his starting 5" but there's no way I personally would ever make a selection in this draft other than taking the BPA regardless of position.

The college season can't get here soon enough either because I'm ready for either someone unexpected to vault themselves up the ladder or for one of the guys currently at the top to ease my skepticism.

Ya, I am not even sure why there is so much confidence in the big man class this year. There are 3 at the very top, but after them its pretty sparse and I am not sold on Paolo.

There is also a ton of CG talent at the top and to me, OKC doesnt have a G talent outside SGA that is a clear-cut starting caliber guy. You dont pass Hardy, Sallis, etc.

I also think Jovic ends up top 5, or even 3, when its all said and done. He would be my pick if Chet and Hardy are gone. With Duren having the chance to overtake him on my board. (Duren just has a bit of an old-school big man vibe, which isnt always bad and seems to be working with Ayton but I wish he had a bit more passing skill, or shooting skill, something to help the floor space)

Yeah I dont think Paolo or Chet are gonna spend the majority of their minutes at the 5 and I worry about Duren's motor/lack of skill. Nzosa im coming around on because hes already looking a little bigger without losing his crazy end to end speed. Still dont love his feel/IQ or the little foundational skill on offense though.

Regardless of any of this though (because its still so early and any of these guys can move up or down) it just seems way too narrow to be limiting the scope and thinking about fit when the current team has proven nothing as a group that can win games.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 416

Post#23 » by bbms » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:15 pm

My too early take is that Evan Mobley's early impact will have an impact on Chet Holmgren's evaluation during the pre-Draft process.

This strat of having a 7'0" mobile free safety leading the defense has the potential to be the definitive answer to NBA's current offensive makeup. On top of that, Holmgren has a promising pick and pop/ghost screener profile that will have offensive coaches dreaming about.

If everyone is healthy, Banchero will probably always be in the mix for the top 3, but the true optimal archetype for a PF/C in modern NBA is a 3/D type and defensive awareness/IQ for this position is a hotter commodity than ever.

IMHO, Chet Holmgren would be a fantastic fit next to SGA/Giddey. Also, this can be the reason why the NBA was so shill on Sengun.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 415

Post#24 » by kdthunderup » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:07 pm

I worry worried about Chets lack of size though. I k ow skinny guys like Mobley can work really well in the modern NBA but Chet is next tier skinny. He has the same recorded height and weight as Poku. I’m hesitant taking him unless he can put on 15ibs before draft night but he doesn’t look like the type of guy who can fill out his frame as his shoulders are super narrow.
BlazersBroncos
Head Coach
And1: 5,007

Post#25 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:40 pm

kdthunderup wrote:I worry worried about Chets lack of size though. I k ow skinny guys like Mobley can work really well in the modern NBA but Chet is next tier skinny. He has the same recorded height and weight as Poku. I’m hesitant taking him unless he can put on 15ibs before draft night but he doesn’t look like the type of guy who can fill out his frame as his shoulders are super narrow.

Chet can play PF so bulk wont be as important. Although I think he is a bit like KP in that a big lower body injury could slow him down enough to have to play C full time.

In terms of fit, Chet is easily the best projection next to Josh and SGA. He can run the court on the break for passes from them, space the floor when SGA is going ISO and projects well in the PNR with Josh as either a roll guy or a pop guy. The idea of Chet is basically the perfect compliment to them, but lets see how he plays on the bigger stage as things regularly change.

I am wary of Paolo as he seems so much like a Blake type, the guy that puts up big numbers but doesnt play winning ball in the end.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 578

Post#26 » by retrobro90 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:47 am

Know we're trying to currently integrate another PG into the starting lineup but I can't help but love what Jean Montero and TyTy Washington have been doing in the early goings. Two guys I'm gonna really like no matter where they end up.
Devilanche
Analyst
And1: 436

Post#27 » by Devilanche » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:33 am

So long as they are 6’4” or above I think they can still fit off ball etc . But I don’t believe we will draft a PG with our first pick of the draft .

Hopefully THE first pick of the draft.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder