Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1 » by Balkman32 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:06 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Mr Thunder Nick wrote:Can a buyout be on the books in one year, or must it be spread over several years?

in one year it's gonna be difficult :)

Most likely over the two years of his contract but they can extend it.

I think it's better to keep it in 2 years since we won't need cap space.

But if we have only to pay this contract year 36 Mio in buyout, that could be a solution to the salary cap, and next season, when Shai's new contract became active we have room for it.

There was always room for Shai's contract. I wonder if Kemba turned down the player option he had for next year. If that's all he had to do to get where he wanted to be I think that make sense for the Thunder. Plus, you don't have to worry about rehabbing his value. You can just develop this team around Shai while you try to find the Center of the future.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#2 » by Patches Perry » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:24 pm

At a cursory glance of their roster and payroll for next season, it seems like OKC is way under the cap floor. Cap floor: 101m. I am seeing 72m w/ Kemba, 36m w/o Kemba. Add in 5m for Giddy and 2m for Tre and that gets you to 43m or so.

Am I totally off here?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#3 » by Balkman32 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:39 pm

Patches Perry wrote:At a cursory glance of their roster and payroll for next season, it seems like OKC is way under the cap floor. Cap floor: 101m. I am seeing 72m w/ Kemba, 36m w/o Kemba. Add in 5m for Giddy and 2m for Tre and that gets you to 43m or so.

Am I totally off here?

I have about $63 million for 10 players for next season.

I think the floor might be $107 M (90% of the cap @ $119). Once you add cap holds for the 4 potential FRP's. Plus the Thunder have trade exceptions at $27 million that is expiring later this week, and two at the deadline $12M & $9M, where they can add contracts for next season. If these were all used we would hit the cap floor. Still plenty of work to be done.

I would expect to see all of Kemba's money to be on this years cap. The Thunder are about $20 million from the floor this year. Maybe they give Kemba more than he would have made this year to get to the team he wants to play for or maybe the Thunder use the $27M trade exception that expires later this week.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 86

Post#4 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:56 pm

Patches Perry wrote:At a cursory glance of their roster and payroll for next season, it seems like OKC is way under the cap floor. Cap floor: 101m. I am seeing 72m w/ Kemba, 36m w/o Kemba. Add in 5m for Giddy and 2m for Tre and that gets you to 43m or so.

Am I totally off here?

Therefore, I would give K.Williams a better contract then he earns the next two years (2 x 2 Mio). Something as 5 years 25-30 Mio.
He is so important in a team. Those kind of players are very difficult to find especially at this price.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#5 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:52 pm

cjmcallist wrote:I’m surprised about Walker. Very not-Presti move.

There’s a zero percent chance Kemba picked up is PO. My guess is he declined it and then gave back the $8m that he’s getting from NYK.

Huh? Why wouldn’t he pick up his option? And he wouldn’t need to give back $8M he signed for in NYK… there’s a “set off” clause in the CBA that stipulates that automatically.

I imagine the conversation went something like:

Hi, Kemba, welcome to OKC, remember Al Horford? We want to send you on vacation so we can let our young guys develop.

Kemba: But, I want to play so I can continue to make money after my contract is done.

Presti: Have you ever heard of a buyout?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#6 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:54 pm

Am I totally off here?

You are correct. We are under salary floor by about $17M or so. Not sure how Kemba’s buyout affects that though. If we aren’t stretching, are his numbers just dead cap?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Post#7 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:20 pm

btw Zach Lowe mentioned that 7 executives told him about a potential Kemba buy out...we got leaks for once (Jake Fischer didn't take advantage of it :D)
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#8 » by cjmcallist » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:10 pm

getrichordie wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:I’m surprised about Walker. Very not-Presti move.

There’s a zero percent chance Kemba picked up is PO. My guess is he declined it and then gave back the $8m that he’s getting from NYK.

Huh? Why wouldn’t he pick up his option? And he wouldn’t need to give back $8M he signed for in NYK… there’s a “set off” clause in the CBA that stipulates that automatically.

I imagine the conversation went something like:

Hi, Kemba, welcome to OKC, remember Al Horford? We want to send you on vacation so we can let our young guys develop.

Kemba: But, I want to play so I can continue to make money after my contract is done.

Presti: Have you ever heard of a buyout?

:lol:

I would be floored (and disappointed) if Presti agreed to ~$36m in dead salary for next year too. That’s where my thought process was. Surely that was a stip of the buy out.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#9 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Figured we'd be involved in this in the end. My bet is we end up with DeAndre + a decent asset
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#10 » by retrobro90 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:27 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Figured we'd be involved in this in the end. My bet is we end up with DeAndre + a decent asset

That sounds reasonable but wouldn't a 6-8 team deal be unprecedented? Very intrigued by the tweets from Beal/his wife/Mayo today.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#11 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:45 pm

Did Washington have any idea what they were doing when they went after Dinwiddie?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#12 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 8:14 pm

I have no idea if OKC is gonna be part of the trade but feel I'm not gonna like it for Washington...Nets going for full value here
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#13 » by Devilanche » Wed Aug 4, 2021 8:42 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:

Am I totally off here?

Therefore, I would give K.Williams a better contract then he earns the next two years (2 x 2 Mio). Something as 5 years 25-30 Mio.
He is so important in a team. Those kind of players are very difficult to find especially at this price.

Don’t think that’s allowed / legal

Read the cba faq for question 58/59.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#14 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:00 pm

Am I crazy to think that if Gs can't trade for a star this free agency, they should trade Kuminga for 2-3 picks? We could use a TPE, they will save A LOT of money (Kuminga's contract is at 7 millions I think so already some decent impact on their taxes and they will have some future picks to upgrade their roster).
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#15 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter

I just don't get how Gs could afford to keep both Kuminga & Moody.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#16 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter

First domino, let's see the rest
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#17 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:59 pm

Read on Twitter

yeah wizards were not crazy after all.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#18 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:09 pm

Read on Twitter

I was promised an 8 team trade and a lot more moving parts than this. Meh.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:37 pm

It would be really nice if Giddey and Mann played well. This has been a somewhat underwhelming offseason.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#20 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:It would be really nice if Giddey and Mann played well. This has been a somewhat underwhelming offseason.

Yeah beyond terrible. Horrible lottery, meh/bad draft (in my opinion) and not that nice to buy out Kemba even if we don't know the details.

Positive for OKC: Favors for a FRP and Kawhi's injury gonna secure us a better pick in next year draft.

oh well and SGA extension without any PO is sweet.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder