OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#21 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:33 pm

I'm loving this offseason. There's now enough minutes to support Giddey/SGA/Dort/Mann/Theo.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 816

Post#22 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:46 pm

I keep seeing comments on Twitter about all this extra cap room that OKC has for the FA market but I'm like --quality free agents aren't interested in coming to OKC--. :lol:

IMO, realistically the best we're going to get are those Mike Muscala type of free agents. High-level free agents, similar to Scroder's skill level, would rather take $8M to play elsewhere than be paid $12M to play in OKC.

The only way I see this changing is if OKC starts winning again and shows that they're playoff caliber team.

But I guess it's nice to dream.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#23 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:01 am

1bigfan13 wrote:I keep seeing comments on Twitter about all this extra cap room that OKC has for the FA market but I'm like --quality free agents aren't interested in coming to OKC--. :lol:

IMO, realistically the best we're going to get are those Mike Muscala type of free agents. High-level free agents, similar to Scroder's skill level, would rather take $8M to play elsewhere than be paid $12M to play in OKC.

The only way I see this changing is if OKC starts winning again and shows that they're playoff caliber team.

But I guess it's nice to dream.

Depends what you consider quality. We’ve proven in the past we can get them if we want them. It’s pretty clear right now we don’t want anyone.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#24 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:12 am

i wonder how this whole kemba thing went down. almost all the thunder beat seemed convinced they wanted to do a similar thing as they did with al horford. i wonder if part of the calculus here is the opportunity cost of winning if you keep kemba around and he plays well. at the end of the day, we didn't get all that much back for horford anyway, and we slipped in the lottery a bit and it would have been more if not for horford's cooperation sitting out games. my speculation is that this result is why sam presti just cut bait when he could after he couldn't move kemba during FA.

i'm glad the whole series of transactions is over. blake griffin gave up 13+ million in his buyout. wonder if kemba did something similar.

on the whole i think this offseason has sucked big time. most of it outside sam presti's control. the awful lottery results, micic staying at efes, seems like the draft didn't go as planned, the dumb pick 16 trade, and now the kemba thing. the only real 'good' news of the summer so far might be sga not getting an option in his extension. a lot rests on josh giddey turning out to be productive. we'll see.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by 1bigfan13 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:17 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Depends what you consider quality. We’ve proven in the past we can get them if we want them. It’s pretty clear right now we don’t want anyone.

What quality free agents have we signed in the past? I honestly can't think of one. By quality, I'm referring to guys who aren't quite all-stars but are high-level role players. Similar to the skill level of guys like Dennis Schroder, Montrez Harrell, and John Collins.

Even when we had KD and Russ the best we could get were bottom-rung guys like Anthony Morrow.
Eliminator3
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Eliminator3 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:22 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:It would be really nice if Giddey and Mann played well. This has been a somewhat underwhelming offseason.

Yeah beyond terrible. Horrible lottery, meh/bad draft (in my opinion) and not that nice to buy out Kemba even if we don't know the details.

Positive for OKC: Favors for a FRP and Kawhi's injury gonna secure us a better pick in next year draft.

oh well and SGA extension without any PO is sweet.

The bad lottery luck basically added 2 years to the rebuilding process. Going into draft night, the Thunder had realistic opportunities to be in position to draft both a guard and Mobley. The young core would be set with tons of assets to tweak it in coming years.

Hopefully, Josh Giddey can maximize his potential and become an impact player in 2-3 years. Realistically, that is when the Thunder should begin making consistent playoff pushes. They have to hit on Giddey or Pokusevski to be on that timeline.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:22 am

1bigfan13 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Depends what you consider quality. We’ve proven in the past we can get them if we want them. It’s pretty clear right now we don’t want anyone.

What quality free agents have we sign in the past? I honestly can't think of one. By quality, I'm referring to guys who aren't quite all-stars but are high-level role players. Similar to the skill level of guys like Dennis Schroder, Montrez Harrell, and John Collins.

Even when we had KD and Russ the best we could get were bottom-rung guys like Anthony Morrow.

We’ll Carmelo waived his NTC to come here. While he wasn’t a free agent, he was considered in that class of almost all stars at the time and he willingly chose okc.

Also, I recall after the Horford trade here his sister confirmed he was going to come here before KD bailed.

George re signed here after only one year.

I’m not saying we are the Lakers but I believe we can get some quality players here if and when we need them. One of the biggest issues is we never have cap space. so you aren’t going to get a star for the tax payer level MLE. Other small markers have gotten decent role players when they had cash. Not saying it’s easy but it isn’t easy for any team. The Lakers missed out on guys for years before they got Lebron. NYK is just now starting to get respect after years of incompetence.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#28 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:22 am

1bigfan13 wrote:

What quality free agents have we signed in the past? I honestly can't think of one. By quality, I'm referring to guys who aren't quite all-stars but are high-level role players. Similar to the skill level of guys like Dennis Schroder, Montrez Harrell, and John Collins.

i'm as cynical as anyone about okc as a destination city. but, i don't think there's any denying that since 2013 or 2014 sam presti has made a lot of moves to appease star players around the league and their agents. re-signing paul george was a goddamn miracle, especially for the contract he signed. remember brian windhorst almost fainted on live tv because he couldn't understand why PG did it?

sam has since gotten more inexplicable concessions from players. al horford sitting out half a season for no reason. alex abrines leaving money on the table, for no reason. mike muscala sitting out, for no reason. i'm not saying that building up goodwill in this way is a silver bullet or anything, but given his recent track record i wouldn't be surprised if the landscape changes somewhat on how free agents view okc and playing for the thunder.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by 1bigfan13 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:30 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
I’m not saying we are the Lakers but I believe we can get some quality players here if and when we need them. One of the biggest issues is we never have cap space. so you aren’t going to get a star for the tax payer level MLE. Other small markers have gotten decent role players when they had cash. Not saying it’s easy but it isn’t easy for any team. The Lakers missed out on guys for years before they got Lebron. NYK is just now starting to get respect after years of incompetence.

My post wasn't about small market vs big market. I'm fully aware of the struggles the Knicks and Lakers have had in FA in recent years.

I was mainly just pointing out that even with all this extra cap space I don't expect OKC to be able to land a top notch FA until they prove they're a playoff caliber team.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by 1bigfan13 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:40 am

slick_watts wrote:
sam has since gotten more inexplicable concessions from players. al horford sitting out half a season for no reason. alex abrines leaving money on the table, for no reason. mike muscala sitting out, for no reason. i'm not saying that building up goodwill in this way is a silver bullet or anything, but given his recent track record i wouldn't be surprised if the landscape changes somewhat on how free agents view okc and playing for the thunder.

This brings up a point that's been bothering me lately. Presti's been getting a lot of leeway for some VERY questionable moves recently. His "strategy", if you can call it that, seems very flimsy to me.

I know I'm in the minority but I think he's vastly overrated, at least when it comes to talent evaluation. He's a mastermind when it comes to asset acquisitions, but as far as evaluating actual player talent, he's middle of the pack at best, IMO.

They don't hand out banners or hold victory parades for having the most draft picks. At some point he needs to start showing he can land good to great players outside of the top 4 of the draft.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:41 am

1bigfan13 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

My post wasn't about small market vs big market. I'm fully aware of the struggles the Knicks and Lakers have had in FA in recent years.

I was mainly just pointing out that even with all this extra cap space I don't expect OKC to be able to land a top notch FA until they prove they're a playoff caliber team.

Probably not but I don’t think they want to right now either. Even if they could, did we really want Kyle Lowry?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:55 am

1bigfan13 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

This brings up a point that's been bothering me lately. Presti's been getting a lot of leeway for some VERY questionable moves recently. His "strategy", if you can call it that, seems very flimsy to me.

I know I'm in the minority but I think he's vastly overrated, at least when it comes to talent evaluation. He's a mastermind when it comes to asset acquisitions, but as far as evaluating actual player talent, he's middle of the pack at best, IMO.

They don't hand out banners or hold victory parades for having the most draft picks. At some point he needs to start showing he can land good to great players outside of the top 4 of the draft.

I don’t think anyone is consistently good when picking in the 20s and later. I do wish he had drafted more skilled players and less high upside/unskilled athletes. Ferguson was a miss. I think he deserves some credit for Dort and even Diallo, even though he wasn’t my cup of tea. Poku, Theo and Bazley need more time but I’ll admit it doesn’t look great for Bazley right now. He’s been pretty elite when picking inside the top ten. People often forget about Sabonis but Orlando made that pick for okc. We’ll see about Giddey and Mann.
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#33 » by thor19 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:12 am

Is darius miller still on the team? And can we sign harry giles, he is 23 years old only, can play the C spot and maybe is cheap option until next year draft ?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:23 am

thor19 wrote:Is darius miller still on the team? And can we sign harry giles, he is 23 years old only, can play the C spot and maybe is cheap option until next year draft ?

Read on Twitter
thor19
Junior

Post#35 » by thor19 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:25 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:Is darius miller still on the team? And can we sign harry giles, he is 23 years old only, can play the C spot and maybe is cheap option until next year draft ?

Read on Twitter

Thanks dont know if he was injured.
thor19
Junior

Post#36 » by thor19 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:45 am

Well sign harry giles to play backup center to 1+1 team option, we only have muscala and jre ,
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#37 » by Dn4sty » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:50 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#38 » by jake_swivel » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:51 am

Weird. I thought svi was impressive last year. Unless there is another move, I don’t like this.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#39 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:05 am

Dn4sty wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

After drafting Giddey/Mann, don’t see where Svi would’ve had any minutes this season so makes sense I guess. Think we’ll add another in the frontcourt in the next week or so
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#40 » by Old Man Game » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:42 am

jake_swivel wrote:Weird. I thought svi was impressive last year. Unless there is another move, I don’t like this.
Too inconsistent i guess?

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder