Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#301 » by cjmcallist » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:46 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think the issue is that if he’s your sole good piece you aren’t picking in the first 5 pick anymore . So at that point you either trade for others to surround him with help or you trade him .

I agree. That's why this years draft is so key, imo. If we get a stud, then keeping Shai makes sense. If we fall outside the top 4-6 again, and get a player that isn't elite then at the next trade deadline I think you have to start accepting the possibility that he may be moved.

I wonder what a fair trade for Shai would look right now. I wouldn't trade Shai for the 2022 first pick but no team will trade the 2023 first pick for him (maybe 3rd or 4th pick).

All depends on how the lottery falls, but I'm of the mindset that we need to trade him. We'll see where all the picks shake out post-lottery. But, we can't keep getting the 5th pick, 6th pick, 4th pick, etc. This is only year 2 of the tank.

I'm keeping an eye on the Pacers. I think Haliburton + IND FRP (currently 5th) would be a great trade for both teams, but so much depends on the lottery.

One other important Shai note: he might be our only option for trading up this year. Post trade deadline, there are several teams with multiple picks. Here's where the picks congregate:

HOU: 3, 16
OKC: 4, 15, 30
IND: 5, 23
SAS: 7, 19, 20
POR: 8, 9
MEM: 12, 25, 28

Note that 5 of those teams have a top 10 pick. Point is: it's going to be extremely difficult to consolidate and move up in the draft. If we can't get a top 3 pick this year, we need to trade Shai. We might need to anyway.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,133

Post#302 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:57 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
I agree. That's why this years draft is so key, imo. If we get a stud, then keeping Shai makes sense. If we fall outside the top 4-6 again, and get a player that isn't elite then at the next trade deadline I think you have to start accepting the possibility that he may be moved.

I wonder what a fair trade for Shai would look right now. I wouldn't trade Shai for the 2022 first pick but no team will trade the 2023 first pick for him (maybe 3rd or 4th pick).

All depends on how the lottery falls, but I'm of the mindset that we need to trade him. We'll see where all the picks shake out post-lottery. But, we can't keep getting the 5th pick, 6th pick, 4th pick, etc. This is only year 2 of the tank.

I'm keeping an eye on the Pacers. I think Haliburton + IND FRP (currently 5th) would be a great trade for both teams, but so much depends on the lottery.

One other important Shai note: he might be our only option for trading up this year. Post trade deadline, there are several teams with multiple picks. Here's where the picks congregate:

Note that 5 of those teams have a top 10 pick. Point is: it's going to be extremely difficult to consolidate and move up in the draft. If we can't get a top 3 pick this year, we need to trade Shai. We might need to anyway.

Doubt Indiana would give up Haliburton AND a top 3 pick for Shai. I can see Portland giving up a lot of value if they want to pair Shai with Lillard.

In the end trading Shai or not depends more about what he wants and if he's fine with a couple more years of sucking. It's not like there's a big gap in the lottery between being a bottom 3 team to a bottom 6 team.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#303 » by Balkman32 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:27 pm

With the picks the Thunder have acquired they will most likely have at least the #10 overall pick in the next 5 drafts. Listed below are all guys selected after the ninth overall selection in their draft year. I think this team would be unstoppable. The problem would be how do you retain the talent and pay accordingly. But, that's a great problem to have.

DY Player
2009 Jrue Holiday
2010 Paul George
2011 Kawhi Leonard
2012 Draymond Green
2013 Gannis Antetokounmpo
2014 Zach LaVine
2015 Devin Booker
2016 Domas Sabonis
2017 Donovan Mitchell
2018 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
2019 Tyler Herro
2020 Tyrese Haliburton

Some Thunder What If's (misses):
The Thunder took Adams over Gannis in the Bill Simmons 11- Player draft (Gannis was not in his 11 players, neither was Adams)
The Suns took Booker right in front of the Thunder and they selected Cam Payne with the next selection.
Jrue Holiday went 3 picks above the Thunders selection of Eric Maynor, purchased pick from Utah.
The Thunder selected Cole Aldrich with the 11th pick right after Paul George was selected by the Pacers with the 10th pick.
The Thunder Perry Jones the 3rd over Draymond Green, then traded Harden for a package of Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, Steven Adams (selected a year later, over Gannis) & Mitch McGary (& his Snake).
The Thunder selected Terrance Ferguson over Jarret Allen & OG Anunoby.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Post#304 » by Devilanche » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:00 am

cjmcallist wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

You can’t get a guaranteed top 4 pick though. That’s the issue . So we don’t absolutely have to trade him but we can consider trading him .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#305 » by Devilanche » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 am

Balkman32 wrote:With the picks the Thunder have acquired they will most likely have at least the #10 overall pick in the next 5 drafts. Listed below are all guys selected after the ninth overall selection in their draft year. I think this team would be unstoppable. The problem would be how do you retain the talent and pay accordingly. But, that's a great problem to have.

DY Player
2009 Jrue Holiday
2010 Paul George
2011 Kawhi Leonard
2012 Draymond Green
2014 Zach LaVine
2015 Devin Booker
2016 Domas Sabonis
2017 Donovan Mitchell
2019 Tyler Herro
2020 Tyrese Haliburton

The Thunder took Adams over Gannis in the Bill Simmons 11- Player draft (Gannis was not in his 11 players, neither was Adams)
The Suns took Booker right in front of the Thunder and they selected Cam Payne with the next selection.
Jrue Holiday went 3 picks above the Thunders selection of Eric Maynor, purchased pick from Utah.
The Thunder selected Cole Aldrich with the 11th pick right after Paul George was selected by the Pacers with the 10th pick.
The Thunder Perry Jones the 3rd over Draymond Green, then traded Harden for a package of Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, Steven Adams (selected a year later, over Gannis) & Mitch McGary (& his Snake).

That’s assuming a best case scenario every draft though . It’s more like we get someone we will keep every 2nd or 3rd selection
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#306 » by cjmcallist » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:10 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Doubt Indiana would give up Haliburton AND a top 3 pick for Shai. I can see Portland giving up a lot of value if they want to pair Shai with Lillard.

In the end trading Shai or not depends more about what he wants and if he's fine with a couple more years of sucking. It's not like there's a big gap in the lottery between being a bottom 3 team to a bottom 6 team.

Agree on IND, I was more thinking if they stayed around #5 or so.

SGA would be a great pull for POR.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#307 » by Balkman32 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:13 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:With the picks the Thunder have acquired they will most likely have at least the #10 overall pick in the next 5 drafts. Listed below are all guys selected after the ninth overall selection in their draft year. I think this team would be unstoppable. The problem would be how do you retain the talent and pay accordingly. But, that's a great problem to have.

DY Player
2009 Jrue Holiday
2010 Paul George
2011 Kawhi Leonard
2012 Draymond Green
2014 Zach LaVine
2015 Devin Booker
2016 Domas Sabonis
2017 Donovan Mitchell
2019 Tyler Herro
2020 Tyrese Haliburton

That’s assuming a best case scenario every draft though . It’s more like we get someone we will keep every 2nd or 3rd selection

With Sam Presti drafting ill take those odds. Give me 4-5 of the guys above and the Thunder would be ready for a title run.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#308 » by Devilanche » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 am

Balkman32 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

DY Player
2009 Jrue Holiday
2010 Paul George
2011 Kawhi Leonard
2012 Draymond Green
2014 Zach LaVine
2015 Devin Booker
2016 Domas Sabonis
2017 Donovan Mitchell
2019 Tyler Herro
2020 Tyrese Haliburton

With Sam Presti drafting ill take those odds. Give me 4-5 of the guys above and the Thunder would be ready for a title run.

Those players are between 10-20s mostly. Presti pick around that range hasn’t exactly paid off at the rate you are looking at . I will be happy with 2-3 from that range paying off long term though.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#309 » by cjmcallist » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 am

Balkman32 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Presti's record outside of the top 6 hasn't been stellar. It's been just okay.

The other problem is timing. The odds say, by the time we get the 4th guy, the first one (and maybe two) are gone.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#310 » by Devilanche » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:13 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

The other problem is timing. The odds say, by the time we get the 4th guy, the first one (and maybe two) are gone.

You would also have to consider playing time as well. Even if he hit on the first few , they next few might not get playing time to develop into that level of quotes player .
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,210

Post#311 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:24 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Exactly right on timing. It feels like if we miss on our pick this year then things get much more challenging towards acquiring top tier talent. We’ve struggled to bottom out for two years now. Giddey likely makes a big jump next year. Most of the other guys on rookie contracts will improve at least by a bit. This is the year sam needs to aggressive. If we get Chet or Jabari this year, we probably aren’t a play in team yet but I’m ok if they want to push for it.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#312 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:09 pm

I'm not that worried about SGA anymore. I would freak out about it if Giddey was a bust though. Now if SGA wants to join a better team, no problem if we get decent value. Giddey isn't a #1 option (and probably not second option either) but it's really easy to build a winning team around him. His ceiling will depend a lot of athleticism and shot but he has everything to be at least a decent starter PG in the NBA.

Would rather give up some assets to move up in the draft this season if we don't get a top pick. Waiting for 2023 is kind of an illusion because it's even more difficult to move up in a strong draft and we don't know how we will perform.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#313 » by Devilanche » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:46 pm

If giddey shot come around , I think he can be a 2nd/3rd option . You can always find a player who’s willing to take shot to be your 6th man etc . But someone who can make the rest of the team better is a lot more valuable.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,210

Post#314 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:11 pm

It kind of depends on what a true second option looks like. Is Giddey equal to an AD or James Harden level second option? Likely not. When you look at some other second option guys, Giddey could likely be as impactful as Jamal Murray, CJ McCollum, Kyle Lowry, Bam Adebayo, Kris Middleton/Jrue Holiday and others. Those players have all had some playoff success to different levels.

I think a lot of fans look at the process as trying to get three guys as elite as the first rebuild. We can win a championship with lesser talent if other things fall in place. We just won’t be a dynasty.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by Balkman32 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:15 pm

This franchise is in great hands. There are sooo many picks over the next 5 years.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#316 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:24 am

Would also like to keep Waters and Sarr as two-way players next year. They have both great potential.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#317 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:55 am

What would you guys be looking for in a Dort trade?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#318 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:11 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:What would you guys be looking for in a Dort trade?

I'm not really looking to move Dort but we have to, it will be 1) to be able to move up some spots in the draft 2) for a young that can shoot; 3) for a late lotto pick or 4) for a couple of meh FRPs.

I wouldn't do option "4" though. Don't think Dallas has what it takes to make a trade for Dort. I also may be wrong but I think Presti will try to keep Dort as much as possible (he likes him and he's Shai's best friend).
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#319 » by 1bigfan13 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:31 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I personally am not sure we should consider ourselves locked into SGA. If he's your best player what's the team's ceiling? Realistically? I'm not saying he's not really good but how good we talking here? I have some doubts he can be the best player on a high level contending team. I'm not sure he's the second best player on one of those elite teams.

It's hard to get a solid gauge on what this team is capable of when the front office isn't even trying. Which is why I want to see Presti go out and acquire a younger vet this offseason. Someone with 5-8 years of NBA experience who can come in and be a part of the regular rotation. The Cavs were able to make a nice jump by adding quality vets to their roster.

If Presti and the Thunder organization are hellbent on simply building through the draft they might as well trade SGA now because it is highly unlikely that they'll be a playoff team within the next 2 seasons with that method.

I don't know all the ins and outs of NBA contracts but I do know that players are eligible for larger contracts if they make All-Star teams, All-NBA teams, etc. It's extremely hard to get any of those national recognitions when you're playing for a bottom feeder franchise. SGA & his agent know this. Which is why I don't see him signing up for another 3-5 years of Presti's tankathon.

Bottom line, it's time for Presti to either s**t or get off the pot. They don't hang banners or hold championship parades for having the most draft picks. Gotta be able to do something tangible with them.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#320 » by 1bigfan13 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:42 pm

I like Dort and would keep him. My problem is he's too involved in the OKC offense. He should not be a guy chucking 7 3PAs per game.

I place a lot of that blame on the coaching staff. I don't want him hiding from the ball in the corner like Terrance Ferguson but I also don't want him out there trying to involve himself in the offense like he's an all-star guard.

He has a wide strong body. I'd like to see him use that to his advantage vs smaller guards. But again that's on the coaching staff to establish boundaries and a standard of acceptable play.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder