OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: ThunderBolt, Dadouv47

User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#61 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:36 am

So, if we don’t reach cap floor, the rest of the money is distributed to the players on the roster, which is… interesting. Each player could get a ~$1M pay bump…
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#62 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:16 am

getrichordie wrote:So, if we don’t reach cap floor, the rest of the money is distributed to the players on the roster, which is… interesting. Each player could get a ~$1M pay bump…


Okay, I am dumb. I didn't realize that if you do not renounce a cap hold, that they count against the cap and will for a long time, unless it is either renounced by the team, or the player signs a new contract.

With that being said, I see now that they don't really have any impetus to sign anyone. I updated my cap sheet (link below) to reflect all of the cap holds, not just some, and we are an estimated $3.2M below the cap floor. Sign Jeremiah Robinson-Earl/negotiate a Josh Hall contract, and that's a wrap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pbWHTopePrJuCtEyPml3TPdbmpjbORdZ_LQs8CYqN_s/edit#gid=0
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Devilanche
Analyst
Posts: 3,476
And1: 419
Joined: Dec 22, 2010

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#63 » by Devilanche » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:27 am

getrichordie wrote:
getrichordie wrote:So, if we don’t reach cap floor, the rest of the money is distributed to the players on the roster, which is… interesting. Each player could get a ~$1M pay bump…


Okay, I am dumb. I didn't realize that if you do not renounce a cap hold, that they count against the cap and will for a long time, unless it is either renounced by the team, or the player signs a new contract.

With that being said, I see now that they don't really have any impetus to sign anyone. I updated my cap sheet (link below) to reflect all of the cap holds, not just some, and we are an estimated $3.2M below the cap floor. Sign Jeremiah Robinson-Earl/negotiate a Josh Hall contract, and that's a wrap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pbWHTopePrJuCtEyPml3TPdbmpjbORdZ_LQs8CYqN_s/edit#gid=0


Salary floor is counted against salary paid on the roster at season end so we got until deadline to sign/trade someone . Much like we did with deck last season .
Devilanche
Analyst
Posts: 3,476
And1: 419
Joined: Dec 22, 2010

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#64 » by Devilanche » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:30 am

spearsy23 wrote:What weird moves/ bad value has presti made? That seems more like a 'moves I didn't like' thing to me. Outside of the trade for JRE he's gotten pretty good value on everything.

Yeap . He hasn’t made moves that harms what we perceived to be his preferred direction this upcoming season.

The buyout of kemba notwithstanding (whether anything given back by kemba or paying all in full)
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#65 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:55 am

Devilanche wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
getrichordie wrote:So, if we don’t reach cap floor, the rest of the money is distributed to the players on the roster, which is… interesting. Each player could get a ~$1M pay bump…


Okay, I am dumb. I didn't realize that if you do not renounce a cap hold, that they count against the cap and will for a long time, unless it is either renounced by the team, or the player signs a new contract.

With that being said, I see now that they don't really have any impetus to sign anyone. I updated my cap sheet (link below) to reflect all of the cap holds, not just some, and we are an estimated $3.2M below the cap floor. Sign Jeremiah Robinson-Earl/negotiate a Josh Hall contract, and that's a wrap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pbWHTopePrJuCtEyPml3TPdbmpjbORdZ_LQs8CYqN_s/edit#gid=0


Salary floor is counted against salary paid on the roster at season end so we got until deadline to sign/trade someone . Much like we did with deck last season .


Oh, I gotcha. Damn, I suck at this haha. I'm still learning, though...

~$21M to reach salary floor roughly... assuming all non-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed and assuming we sign Mann and Giddey to rookie scale contracts AND assuming an estimation of Kemba's buyout.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
User avatar
jake_swivel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 761
And1: 419
Joined: Jul 07, 2019

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#66 » by jake_swivel » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:45 am

At this point, I think you could get markkanen for the MLE or under and I think he has value at that price point. 3/30 is a tradeable contract.
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#67 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:20 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Btw I'm still waiting for the moment that "doing the right thing" for players gonna help us (send CP3 where he wanted, Al back to Boston, buy out Kemba etc.). At least before this buy out players knew that by playing pretty well Presti would do the best thing for them, now it's a bad precedent and they may insist on buy outs.

I think the way Presti treats players has helped us. Russ and George re-signed. Nerlens came back on a second year for cheap. We don’t hear of players refusing to work out for us. There are benefits.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#68 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:30 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Btw I'm still waiting for the moment that "doing the right thing" for players gonna help us (send CP3 where he wanted, Al back to Boston, buy out Kemba etc.). At least before this buy out players knew that by playing pretty well Presti would do the best thing for them, now it's a bad precedent and they may insist on buy outs.

I think the way Presti treats players has helped us. Russ and George re-signed. Nerlens came back on a second year for cheap. We don’t hear of players refusing to work out for us. There are benefits.


PG13 staying was before Presti decided to do the right thing with stars on a bad team. I don't think it's bad Presti trying to do the best for the players but not sure we got benefits from it. Think players not refusing to work out with us is because we have a great reputation in development and being great for players (credits to Presti and all staff for that)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#69 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:30 pm

basically only thing left this offseason is to sign Schroeder, Reggie Jackson and Millsap so we can hurt the Clippers... ;)
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#70 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:54 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if Presti just got a package of picks/prospect to take on unwanted contracts to help teams dodge the luxury tax or reduce their tax bill.

DeAndre Jordan and Kevon Looney come to mind...
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#71 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:02 pm

getrichordie wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if Presti just got a package of picks/prospect to take on unwanted contracts to help teams dodge the luxury tax or reduce their tax bill.

DeAndre Jordan and Kevon Looney come to mind...


Think Brooklyn can only trade their 2028 FRP. Looney won't cost that much for the warriors and they usually don't pay a ton of value to get rid of contracts.

Already happy we got a FRP for Favors. Most teams don't give up FRPs to get rid of bad contracts
Devilanche
Analyst
Posts: 3,476
And1: 419
Joined: Dec 22, 2010

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#72 » by Devilanche » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:56 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:basically only thing left this offseason is to sign Schroeder, Reggie Jackson and Millsap so we can hurt the Clippers... ;)

You only hurting yourself if you sign them
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#73 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:02 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:basically only thing left this offseason is to sign Schroeder, Reggie Jackson and Millsap so we can hurt the Clippers... ;)

You only hurting yourself if you sign them


I know...it was a joke (a bad one I guess) :)
User avatar
ThunderBolt
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 16,908
And1: 15,235
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#74 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:24 pm

getrichordie wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if Presti just got a package of picks/prospect to take on unwanted contracts to help teams dodge the luxury tax or reduce their tax bill.

DeAndre Jordan and Kevon Looney come to mind...

Don’t think Jordan will be traded if this is true.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-nets-spencer-dinwiddie-20210804-pfmyuk2vmvafdi2n2a7dwzonue-story.html

Spoiler:
The Nets were unwilling to part ways with DeAndre Jordan as part of the deals despite his position fixed at the end of the rotation, league sources tell The News. Jordan signed a four-year deal worth $40 million in the same offseason the Nets signed both Irving and Kevin Durant. He is on the hook for $20 million more over the next two seasons, but his bond with the Brooklyn Big 3 is too strong for a deal to consummate, per source.
Devilanche
Analyst
Posts: 3,476
And1: 419
Joined: Dec 22, 2010

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#75 » by Devilanche » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:54 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:basically only thing left this offseason is to sign Schroeder, Reggie Jackson and Millsap so we can hurt the Clippers... ;)

You only hurting yourself if you sign them


I know...it was a joke (a bad one I guess) :)

Oh.! I’m still waiting for the kemba buyout amount and the Adams TPE
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#76 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 4:09 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:You only hurting yourself if you sign them


I know...it was a joke (a bad one I guess) :)

Oh.! I’m still waiting for the kemba buyout amount and the Adams TPE


Didn't watch all teams but hard time to see how we can take advantage of the Adams TPE. Probably gonna use at least one of the 10 millions TPE though
Devilanche
Analyst
Posts: 3,476
And1: 419
Joined: Dec 22, 2010

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#77 » by Devilanche » Fri Aug 6, 2021 4:37 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
I know...it was a joke (a bad one I guess) :)

Oh.! I’m still waiting for the kemba buyout amount and the Adams TPE


Didn't watch all teams but hard time to see how we can take advantage of the Adams TPE. Probably gonna use at least one of the 10 millions TPE though

Don’t think there’s anyone else left worth signing for a team to consider dumping salary to us but since it haven’t expire might as well hope .
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#78 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter


Well can't like this but at least they had to pay him over 10 millions.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 9,343
And1: 2,278
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#79 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:03 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if Presti just got a package of picks/prospect to take on unwanted contracts to help teams dodge the luxury tax or reduce their tax bill.

DeAndre Jordan and Kevon Looney come to mind...


Think Brooklyn can only trade their 2028 FRP. Looney won't cost that much for the warriors and they usually don't pay a ton of value to get rid of contracts.

Already happy we got a FRP for Favors. Most teams don't give up FRPs to get rid of bad contracts


I think I read that for the Warriors, every $2.1M in salary cost them $12M due to luxury tax. That’s not cheap. That means that if they are able to give him to someone who has cap room, they would save roughly $30M.

Also, I this Schroder coming back crossed my mind and seeing other people thinking the same thing makes me think it could happen.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1547850/
:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD (updated 10/23/20)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 7,968
And1: 3,512
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
   

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#80 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:18 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if Presti just got a package of picks/prospect to take on unwanted contracts to help teams dodge the luxury tax or reduce their tax bill.

DeAndre Jordan and Kevon Looney come to mind...


Think Brooklyn can only trade their 2028 FRP. Looney won't cost that much for the warriors and they usually don't pay a ton of value to get rid of contracts.

Already happy we got a FRP for Favors. Most teams don't give up FRPs to get rid of bad contracts


I think I read that for the Warriors, every $2.1M in salary cost them $12M due to luxury tax. That’s not cheap. That means that if they are able to give him to someone who has cap room, they would save roughly $30M.

Also, I this Schroder coming back crossed my mind and seeing other people thinking the same thing makes me think it could happen.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1547850/


Then we had 0 reason to buy out Kemba. Schroeder makes no sense in OKC. Ball hog that wants to play as much as possible to rehab his value. Makes no sense for him or for the Thunder.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder