Wolves fan with a trade question

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Wolves fan with a trade question 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 pm

So I know you guys are pick rich and player light right now. I am wondering if you would trade a 2022 1st and a 2023 second (you pick which ones,) for Malik Beasley, and Tauren Prince? Both are having down years, but both have significantly better last season and career stats and I think a change of scenery and scheme would help them tremendously. Prince is playing PF when he should be playing SF and Beasley is just starting to find his game again. You guys have exemptions and would not need to take salary back. I ask because I have a three way trade idea and those picks are your leg of it.

For context Prince is expiring at around 13 mil and Beasley has 2 more seasons after this around 15 mil but is team option in the final year. So essentially he could be a keeper or traded as an expiring next season.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Wolves fan with a trade question 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 pm

I don't see why either of those players are worth a pick at all, especially to a rebuilding team. Prince was just traded as bad salary and I can't really see Beasley as having value on that contract either.

OKC wouldn't need either and using assets on them wouldn't make any sense for a rebuild. Don't really see either guy having even positive trade value, let alone bringing back picks.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
winforlose
General Manager

Post#3 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:36 pm

bondom34 wrote:I don't see why either of those players are worth a pick at all, especially to a rebuilding team. Prince was just traded as bad salary and I can't really see Beasley as having value on that contract either.

OKC wouldn't need either and using assets on them wouldn't make any sense for a rebuild.

Gonna be honest, I don’t know a ton about your situation at SG and SF, but from a quick glance I don’t see how either could hurt. Prince is essentially being traded for a second. Last season he shot 40% from 3 and was a 85% free throw shooter. Having his bird rights means you could re-sign him to a cheaper deal and while I agree his numbers are way down, I don’t see how having a guy with 3 and D potential hurts you. As for Beasley he is 25 and last season a 39.9% 3 point shooter. He just dropped 29 on Miami two games ago. His shooting is coming back, just a little too slowly for us. Having a sharpshooter that you can either move for a better fitting player or keep and use seems worth a pick. You could argue Beasley’s drop off is significant enough his value is below that at the moment. (Probably fair,) but are you going to get someone with more upside and value for just that pick?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:39 pm

winforlose wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I don't see why either of those players are worth a pick at all, especially to a rebuilding team. Prince was just traded as bad salary and I can't really see Beasley as having value on that contract either.

OKC wouldn't need either and using assets on them wouldn't make any sense for a rebuild.

Gonna be honest, I don’t know a ton about your situation at SG and SF, but from a quick glance I don’t see how either could hurt. Prince is essentially being traded for a second. Last season he shot 40% from 3 and was a 85% free throw shooter. Having his bird rights means you could re-sign him to a cheaper deal and while I agree his numbers are way down, I don’t see how having a guy with 3 and D potential hurts you. As for Beasley he is 25 and last season a 39.9% 3 point shooter. He just dropped 29 on Miami two games ago. His shooting is coming back, just a little too slowly for us. Having a sharpshooter that you can either move for a better fitting player or keep and use seems worth a pick. You could argue Beasley’s drop off is significant enough his value is below that at the moment. (Probably fair,) but do you have targets for that pick?

Prince was just dumped w/ a 2nd for Rubio, and has since played worse, so not seeing that at all. To add, they don't really need him and he'd just have no spot in the rotation, so using a 2nd on a vet who wouldn't see playing time doesn't make much sense.

And Beasley really just doesn't have value on that contract. To boot, OKC doesn't need more guards, they need young bigs in general. So another vet on a long term deal with probably negative value doesn't work. I don't think either have value on those contracts, and OKC isn't looking to win this year either way. I don't think either help them win, but also neither would make sense to give value for, OKC would probably be asking for picks to take the salary on.

Now something like Favors/a 2nd for Prince/Reid? Maybe. But besides that, no need/interest for Beasley with all of SGA/Giddey/Dort/Mann/Wiggins already set at the guard spots even if he were worth the contract.

All I can note is check the trade board if you'd like, but asking for a 1st and 2nd for those contracts isn't something I'd see any team take. Maybe ask there if some team would? But I'd very much doubt it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
winforlose
General Manager

Post#5 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm

bondom34 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Gonna be honest, I don’t know a ton about your situation at SG and SF, but from a quick glance I don’t see how either could hurt. Prince is essentially being traded for a second. Last season he shot 40% from 3 and was a 85% free throw shooter. Having his bird rights means you could re-sign him to a cheaper deal and while I agree his numbers are way down, I don’t see how having a guy with 3 and D potential hurts you. As for Beasley he is 25 and last season a 39.9% 3 point shooter. He just dropped 29 on Miami two games ago. His shooting is coming back, just a little too slowly for us. Having a sharpshooter that you can either move for a better fitting player or keep and use seems worth a pick. You could argue Beasley’s drop off is significant enough his value is below that at the moment. (Probably fair,) but do you have targets for that pick?

Prince was just dumped w/ a 2nd for Rubio, and has since played worse, so not seeing that at all. To add, they don't really need him and he'd just have no spot in the rotation, so using a 2nd on a vet who wouldn't see playing time doesn't make much sense.

And Beasley really just doesn't have value on that contract. To boot, OKC doesn't need more guards, they need young bigs in general. So another vet on a long term deal with probably negative value doesn't work. I don't think either have value on those contracts, and OKC isn't looking to win this year either way. I don't think either help them win, but also neither would make sense to give value for, OKC would probably be asking for picks to take the salary on.

Now something like Favors/a 2nd for Prince/Reid? Maybe. But besides that, no need/interest for Beasley with all of SGA/Giddey/Dort/Mann/Wiggins already set at the guard spots even if he were worth the contract.

All I can note is check the trade board if you'd like, but asking for a 1st and 2nd for those contracts isn't something I'd see any team take. Maybe ask there if some team would? But I'd very much doubt it.

Your probably right. I think the problem is the value is mostly depressed by the play this season. Overall I think Beasley is worth a first and Prince worth a second, but again I don’t know enough about your situation to know if they would even fit, which it sounds like they wouldn’t.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,074

Post#6 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 12:28 am

winforlose wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Your probably right. I think the problem is the value is mostly depressed by the play this season. Overall I think Beasley is worth a first and Prince worth a second, but again I don’t know enough about your situation to know if they would even fit, which it sounds like they wouldn’t.

I don't know about Beasley but Prince isn't worth a second, he has clearly negative trade value.

Don't think Beasley is worth a first, maybe in a trade for a bad player/contract.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#7 » by winforlose » Wed Dec 1, 2021 12:52 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Prince was just dumped w/ a 2nd for Rubio, and has since played worse, so not seeing that at all. To add, they don't really need him and he'd just have no spot in the rotation, so using a 2nd on a vet who wouldn't see playing time doesn't make much sense.

I don't know about Beasley but Prince isn't worth a second, he has clearly negative trade value.

Don't think Beasley is worth a first, maybe in a trade for a bad player/contract.

If you look at Prince’s numbers last year and consider he is an expiring with bird rights a 2nd doesn’t look that bad. But his play this year makes return to form more speculation than fact.

Beasley has a team option in the last year and was averaging 20 points on 40% shooting last year. Add to that a solid improvement in defense and a mild improvement in rebounding and he is probably worth a first. But like a Prince his shooting has gone through a very rough patch and his value is probably depressed. My whole point in suggesting a different trade involving both players was that they could be helped to bounce back and then traded for picks or role players, but I doubt anyone takes that on faith. We would need the players to show solid progress toward last seasons numbers.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:06 am

winforlose wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If you look at Prince’s numbers last year and consider he is an expiring with bird rights a 2nd doesn’t look that bad. But his play this year makes return to form more speculation than fact.

Beasley has a team option in the last year and was averaging 20 points on 40% shooting last year. Add to that a solid improvement in defense and a mild improvement in rebounding and he is probably worth a first. But like a Prince his shooting has gone through a very rough patch and his value is probably depressed. My whole point in suggesting a different trade involving both players was that they could be helped to bounce back and then traded for picks or role players, but I doubt anyone takes that on faith. We would need the players to show solid progress toward last seasons numbers.

Yeah if either of those contracts have positive value I'd be very surprised. Would say check the trade forum because....yeah.

If they're actually worth that, they sound like guys Minnesota can use and should keep for their own depth, but right now Beasley is posting sub replacement level numbers and Prince was just salary dumped for Rubio. Prince was negative value a few months ago. I'm struggling super hard to see how that can change by whatever happened this year.

Expiring contracts don't simply have value because they're expiring, the only way to get value from that is taking on longer term worse salary. And Beasley's posting sub replacement level numbers and just last year, in his "good" year still managed negative BPM. But would say check the trade forum on value, if any team would offer picks I'd be quite surprised (especially looking at recent history).

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder