2022 Summer League Thread - Beginning of the Chet Era

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Re: 2022 Summer League Thread - Beginning of the Chet Era 

Post#181 » by retrobro90 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:37 am

Is it crazy to think I'd rather cut Jaylin Williams than Vit/Theo? Understand that his game isn't built for flashy up and down summer league play but I'm really not impressed with what he's brought to the table.
oreojenkins
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#182 » by oreojenkins » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:06 am

Is Jaylin's contract guaranteed? I saw he signed for 4 years. I also don't really get it with him, but I've only seen these summer league games so not dug in on this opinion, and he seems like a great kid so I'm rooting for him either way.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,137

Post#183 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:31 am

retrobro90 wrote:Is it crazy to think I'd rather cut Jaylin Williams than Vit/Theo? Understand that his game isn't built for flashy up and down summer league play but I'm really not impressed with what he's brought to the table.

I love Jaylin personality wise but I don't think it's crazy...I have no clue what he can bring to our team. I also don't understand that pick if u still believe in JRE (similar players with JRE being smarter and a better shooter).
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#184 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:22 pm

This is going to sound crazy but hear me out. I hope J-Dub gets time in the d League this year. The guy has got something special when he can initiate the offense and facilitate. I'm just afraid he won't get enough opportunities to develop that part of his game If he spends the entire year with the thunder and no time at all with the blue. The touches is just won't be there.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#185 » by Big nick » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:42 am

retrobro90 wrote:Is it crazy to think I'd rather cut Jaylin Williams than Vit/Theo? Understand that his game isn't built for flashy up and down summer league play but I'm really not impressed with what he's brought to the table.

It's not crazy I just don't see him making a nba team the eye test just isn't there for me. I think that he is a great kid but I don't know how that justified a 4 year contract a real head scratcher for me.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#186 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:48 pm

Big nick wrote:

It's not crazy I just don't see him making a nba team the eye test just isn't there for me. I think that he is a great kid but I don't know how that justified a 4 year contract a real head scratcher for me.

I was surprised he came out of college when he did. When he signed with Arkansas, I thought he was most assuredly a 3-4 year player. Thought he could be a really good college player but didn't see NBA in his future. He's a below-the-rim big who's jumper is suspect at this point.

Some of this is me being bitter as an Arkansas fan, but I really thought he should've come back for his junior season and thought for sure him announcing he was entering the draft was just testing the waters before coming back. In no did I think he was ready to be an NBA contributor and wasn't sure he'd really ever reach that level.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
gohogs14
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#187 » by gohogs14 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:36 am

NaturalThunder wrote:
Big nick wrote:

I was surprised he came out of college when he did. When he signed with Arkansas, I thought he was most assuredly a 3-4 year player. Thought he could be a really good college player but didn't see NBA in his future. He's a below-the-rim big who's jumper is suspect at this point.

Some of this is me being bitter as an Arkansas fan, but I really thought he should've come back for his junior season and thought for sure him announcing he was entering the draft was just testing the waters before coming back. I in know way thought he was ready to be an NBA contributor and wasn't sure he'd really ever reach that level.

I definitely thought his three-ball would be better than it has been. He’s a really good passer and solid rebounder but his scoring is way too limited and I’m not sure he’ll be able to get away with taking so many charges in the NBA like he did in college. Still lots of time to develop.

But then you see him make this dunk on Banchero and wonder why there isn’t more of it:
Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=_SgYXQXPAYXqxlYFvVi-GA
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#188 » by NaturalThunder » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:37 am

gohogs14 wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:
Big nick wrote:It's not crazy I just don't see him making a nba team the eye test just isn't there for me. I think that he is a great kid but I don't know how that justified a 4 year contract a real head scratcher for me.

Some of this is me being bitter as an Arkansas fan, but I really thought he should've come back for his junior season and thought for sure him announcing he was entering the draft was just testing the waters before coming back. I in know way thought he was ready to be an NBA contributor and wasn't sure he'd really ever reach that level.

I definitely thought his three-ball would be better than it has been. He’s a really good passer and solid rebounder but his scoring is way too limited and I’m not sure he’ll be able to get away with taking so many charges in the NBA like he did in college. Still lots of time to develop.

But then you see him make this dunk on Banchero and wonder why there isn’t more of it:
Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=_SgYXQXPAYXqxlYFvVi-GA

Yeah, no doubt his passing and rebounding ability are "pluses" as far as big prospects go.

He had a strange college career trajectory for a "two-and-done" draftee. There wasn't anything overly special about his freshman season. He played just 16 MPG, wasn't a focal point of the team on either end of the floor, and averaged a pedestrian 4 PPG and 5 RPG, although that translates into solid per-40 stats (9 PPG and 12 RPG). His sophomore season was odd, too. Like the team itself, Jaylin got off to a rocky start. Through his first 15 games (going through the unexpected 0-3 start in conference play), he averaged 7 PPG, 9 RPG, and 3 APG in 28.8 MPG. Not really overwhelmingly good and certainly nothing that would make you think this kid is ready to enter the draft, let alone even get drafted and contribute to an NBA team. I mean that was half of his season with pedestrian numbers for what would eventually be the 32nd pick of the draft. He did turn it on the rest of the season (22 games), averaging 14 PPG and 11 RPG the rest of the season but he shot just 44% from the floor and 25% from three.

To be fair to Jaylin, his game is not one you are going to get a good gauge of in a summer league setting. He is the definition of a player who "does the little things" to an extraordinary degree. But I'm always wary of bigs like him who are below-the-rim players with highly suspect jumpers. I hope it works out for him, but I also have serious doubts, especially after his summer league performance.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#189 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:14 am

Jay Will has that thing where he looks small for his position. Maybe if he bulks up a bit his game will translate.
OE_Thunder
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#190 » by OE_Thunder » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Is anyone else impressed with Wiggins during the Summer League? It might just be because he is wearing the number 21 but he reminds me a little bit of Roberson but can hit a corner 3. His cutting, slashing, and ability to finish around the round are all similar. Obviously, I don't think he will get to the level of a Roberson on Defense but he impressed me during Summer League.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Post#191 » by Devilanche » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:19 am

Avoided logging in due to the summer league .

There’s always can do better but if these guys work at their game , there’s always a chance they can make a rotational player out of them.

Not overly worried on any of them but it’s clear whom amongst the newly drafted will spent more time in the d league .

Personally right now I have Vit over Theo for the 15th slot but I’m about ready to give up on Bazely and keep both of them instead .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#192 » by Big nick » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:14 am

Yes I was impressed with Wiggins and vit looked ok I also think Baz has it in him but I don't think he works enough on the off season. He was plain bad the first half of last season.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,628

Post#193 » by Skybox » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:53 pm

Man, I hope he's okay. Made me sick to think of foot probs with your big guy. Best wishes Chet

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder