Depth Chart/Rotation

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Depth Chart/Rotation 

Post#1 » by wizkid27 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:08 pm

I know there is still a ways to go in the offseason but with the Orlando Summer League finishing up and the draft behind us... what will the rotation and minutes look like going into the first season in OKC?

It's a weird position to be in, since most OKC people won't know their team/players nearly as well as other cities know there's... ideas? Possibly some help from the Seattle fans that saw a lot of these players last year??
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,254

Re: Depth Chart/Rotation 

Post#2 » by pr0wler » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:35 pm

to start the 2008/2009 season...

PG - Watson (24) Ridnour (14) Westbrook (10)
SG - Durant (20) Westbrook (14) Wilkins (14)
SF - Green (24) Durant (16)
PF - Wilcox (24) Collison (16) Green (8)
C - Petro (22) Swift (14) Collison (12)

Spare minutes/IR: D.J. White
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by wizkid27 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:46 pm

so you think even with Westbrook being such a high pick, showing well in summer league, and the rebuilding mentality, that he'll see less time at the point that ridnour and watson? I would think they'd want to give him as much exposure there as possible.

I kind of figured it would be almost exactly how you have it, but with wilkins and westbrook taking ridnour's 14 minutes (and westbrook playing the point almost the whole time he was on the floor).
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,254

Post#4 » by pr0wler » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:52 pm

If Westbrook's development is anything like Jeff Green last season, he won't play that much at the start of the year. Remember this is just the beginning of the season and assuming they don't unload one of their point guards. I think they'll bring him in playing PG/SG for about 24 minutes then depending on what happens roster wise they'll play him more at PG with around 30 minutes a night or so.
Fizer
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Fizer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:20 am

Hard for me to judge on minutes, but I think it will be similar to this:

PG Westbrook/Watson/Ridnour
SG Durant/Gelabale/Griffin
SF Green/Wilkens/Marshall
PF Wilcox/Collison/White
C Petro/Swift/Sene

Top bench players would be Collison, Wilkens, Watson and Swift (If healthy this year)

I have to admit I'm new to following the team, but I figured I should since its the closest NBA franchise to where I live at. Not like we are going to get a team in Kansas City any time soon. :lol:
mnkinga23
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#6 » by mnkinga23 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Watson broke his thumb and will be out quite a bit in the early part of the season, so I would imagine that Ridnour and Westbrook would split the minutes at the point. Ridnour gets to showcase himself for his inevitable trade and Westbrook gets a chance to play a lot at the point and hasten his development.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#7 » by Devin 1L » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:29 pm

mnkinga23 wrote:Watson broke his thumb and will be out quite a bit in the early part of the season, so I would imagine that Ridnour and Westbrook would split the minutes at the point. Ridnour gets to showcase himself for his inevitable trade and Westbrook gets a chance to play a lot at the point and hasten his development.

I think this is pretty spot on.
McG
Sophomore

Post#8 » by McG » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 am

Devin 1L wrote: mnkinga23 wrote:Watson broke his thumb and will be out quite a bit in the early part of the season, so I would imagine that Ridnour and Westbrook would split the minutes at the point. Ridnour gets to showcase himself for his inevitable trade and Westbrook gets a chance to play a lot at the point and hasten his development.

I think this is pretty spot on.

Unfortunately it is not. Watson will be back and ready by the NBA season, and his out-of-shape physique will still be more effective at point than Westbrook. Let's not even consider Luke, as he will more than likely be traded before the season starts (Collison also). Basically the PG position will most likely come to Watson with around 30-32 minutes a game while Westbrook eats up the additional 16-18 minutes plus a few at SG. In this scenario a FA pickup fills in a few at PG as well. This could change as the season progresses, but most likely not until the 60 game (or so) mark.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by wizkid27 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Really think that collison will be traded? I can definitely see Ridnour gone, but I think they'll probably keep the same roster heading into the season.

I had also heard Watson would be ready for the start of the season.
joeshmoe
Sophomore

Post#10 » by joeshmoe » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:48 pm

My understanding is that Collison is one of the few players that they would not trade. I'm sure he is not untouchable, but someone that they are not looking to trade. By the way, he is a very valuable role player, he has some offensive skills, hustles his butt off, and can just flat out rebound.
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Walton'sBeard! » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:44 pm

I hate seeing KD playing out of position. I love both him and Green, but I really believe OKC won't take the next step until they move Green for a player that allows Durant to play SF. It's nice that he can play at other positions, but history has shown that success comes easier when a player is playing at his natural postion.
joeshmoe
Sophomore

Post#12 » by joeshmoe » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:08 pm

I agree with you 100%, I couldn't believe it when PJ decided he was going to play him at shooting guard last season. At the time he said it was for the short term until he got a little stronger. But as the season went on, the message changed, and it now seems like it is PJ's long term plan for Durant. After all, Jeff Green is a small forward too. Maybe, someone should have thought of this on draft night.

Why not utilize all of Durants talents? With his length you just have to use him down low too. He would have averaged closer to 8 rebounds and1.5 blocks had they at the least played him more in the interior defensively. He showed he is a great rebounder in college. Instead, they have him chasing 2 guards around on the perimeter, definitely not his strength. Most of the time, they wouldn't even put him down on blocks to rebound on free throw attempts, they would instead put him at half court with or instead of the point guard.

Eventually, they will have to play him in position. I think Pj will get a lot of criticism if he doesn't. Of course, I was a little surprised he didn't seem to get much last season. Of course, I'm not in Seattle, so maybe I missed it.
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#13 » by bmw42690 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I could see them at some point moving Green to the 4 and Durant to the 3. Im not sure how playing them like that would go, but it could be a possibility. It probably wasnt the best idea to draft 2 guys playing the same position but hopefully they can make it work.
McG
Sophomore

Post#14 » by McG » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 pm

joeshmoe wrote:My understanding is that Collison is one of the few players that they would not trade. I'm sure he is not untouchable, but someone that they are not looking to trade. By the way, he is a very valuable role player, he has some offensive skills, hustles his butt off, and can just flat out rebound.

The only reason Collison falls into trade speculation is that he has been outspoken about not wanting to move to OKC. He definitely seems like a Presti player but the last thing the team wants (considering the situation) is someone who doesn't want to be there.
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by sonic-ben » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Kaman for Wilcox Spurs 2009 #1 and Wilkens

Westbrook, Watson, Ridnour
Durrant,
Green,
Collison, White, Petro
Kaman, Swift, Sene
Go cougs
mnkinga23
Sophomore

Post#16 » by mnkinga23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 am

sonic-ben wrote:Kaman for Wilcox Spurs 2009 #1 and Wilkens

Durrant,
Green,
Collison, White, Petro
Kaman, Swift, Sene

I really like this deal and I would even be willing to throw in another pick if need be. I think that, barring whomever the team chooses in the 2009 draft, the main glaring hole in this team moving forward is at the center position. And centers that can go 15ppg and 12rpg don't grow on trees.
McG
Sophomore

Post#17 » by McG » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 pm

mnkinga23 wrote:
sonic-ben wrote:Kaman for Wilcox Spurs 2009 #1 and Wilkens

Durrant,
Green,
Collison, White, Petro
Kaman, Swift, Sene

I really like this deal and I would even be willing to throw in another pick if need be. I think that, barring whomever the team chooses in the 2009 draft, the main glaring hole in this team moving forward is at the center position. And centers that can go 15ppg and 12rpg don't grow on trees.

Clippers laugh at this deal. No way they make a trade when the centerpiece is a guy they have already given up on once already. Sonics would have to give up their own #1 to get Kaman which I doubt they would even consider until the offseason.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by wizkid27 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Yeah... I just don't really see how that deal works out. Maybe the Camby aquisition makes Kaman not as vital. But you don't give up a VERY solid, young, 7' center for a late 1st, bad contract/bad attitude guy, and a hustle player.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder