I love how when the team was still in Seattle...

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

OKCFan
Ballboy
And1: 0

I love how when the team was still in Seattle... 

Post#1 » by OKCFan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:28 am

According to Seattle fans:

1. This was a young team on the rise, Kevin Durant was going to be a superstar, Jeff Green was going to be an All-Star, and Sam Presti was the best GM in the league.
2. The NBA was the best of the four major sports leagues, and God forbid if Seattle ever lost it's NBA team.
3. When a player made a comment like, "Seattle is a great city, it would take some adjustments to move," they were 100% sincere about it.

But now that they are in Oklahoma City:

1. "It is a horrible team that's going nowhere good in the forseeable future. Durant is too weak, Green will never amount to anything, Westbrook was a HORRIBLE pick, and Presti doesn't know what he's doing."
2. "The NBA is a joke of a league. Seattle as a city wants no part of it now or ever again. It was already on it's downfall way before the whole move started taking shape. This league has maybe 10 years left at best before it folds."
3. "When players talk about how excited they are about OKC, they are just trying to avoid fines. They don't really mean anything that they say to the media, deep down they hate Oklahoma City and everything in it."
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Re: I love how when the team was still in Seattle... 

Post#2 » by dflash3 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:35 am

What do you expect? They may be contradicting themselves but you have to understand they are full of rage right now due to having their team torn away from them due to a lying owner. You'd act irrationally also if in ten years you became a die hard OKC fan and the owner decided to relocate.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#3 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:07 am

dflash3 wrote:What do you expect? They may be contradicting themselves but you have to understand they are full of rage right now due to having their team torn away from them due to a lying owner. You'd act irrationally also if in ten years you became a die hard OKC fan and the owner decided to relocate.

Then they should rage at their fat, pig-headed, blowhard politicians - local, county, state and governor. They are the big fat cats who decided to play hardball with the league, Schultz and then Bennett. Giving them a bad time, no cooperation and making demands and threats until it was too late.
Badly over estimated their position and now a valuable and useful community asset is gone. Just because a bunch of pissant politicians wanted to throw their weight and power around.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#4 » by asdfgh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 am

Joe Jackson wrote:
dflash3 wrote:What do you expect? They may be contradicting themselves but you have to understand they are full of rage right now due to having their team torn away from them due to a lying owner. You'd act irrationally also if in ten years you became a die hard OKC fan and the owner decided to relocate.

Then they should rage at their fat, pig-headed, blowhard politicians - local, county, state and governor. They are the big fat cats who decided to play hardball with the league, Schultz and then Bennett. Giving them a bad time, no cooperation and making demands and threats until it was too late.
Badly over estimated their position and now a valuable and useful community asset is gone. Just because a bunch of pissant politicians wanted to throw their weight and power around.

I really don't agree with this statement. I honestly don't care if the Sonics were losing money, the Key Arena is a really great venue and it's right in the middle of the city. I personally think the city officials did the right thing in not agreeing to building a new super-expensive arena and I wish more cities would do the same, because the situation is getting out of control. And lets not forget that the Key Arena was renovated only, what, 12-13 years ago?
I understand that you guys are happy to have a team, but this whole thing is really ridiculous from an objective point of view (I'm not from Seattle but I know the city quite well).

To me it seemed that Stern had a personal agenda with Seattle and directed Bennett at buying this team promising in the meantime that he would back all his efforts to move the team.

Anyway, these are my two cents on the issue. As for the OP's point, did you honestly expect the Seattle fans to support the team? You would be doing the same if you were in their position.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Tony Plow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 am

Joe Jackson wrote:

Agree. They called Bennett's bluff only to find it was NOT a bluff. He said he would move to Oklahoma City if the state did not fund a new (and ONLY a new) arena. Guess what. Bekins is on the way to Key Arena. Too bad Seattle. You lose.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
ryantony
Sophomore

Post#6 » by ryantony » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 am

Tony Plow wrote:
Joe Jackson wrote:

Agree. They called Bennett's bluff only to find it was NOT a bluff. He said he would move to Oklahoma City if the state did not fund a new (and ONLY a new) arena. Guess what. Bekins is on the way to Key Arena. Too bad Seattle. You lose.

Except for that OKC sucks.

And to OKCFan -- Basketball was never the best of the 4 sports in Seattle. NFL is to the majority--figure it out
"If you're going to post on the forum, clean it up, there isn't going to be any Oklahoma trolling on the forum."
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#7 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:37 am

/quote]

Except for that OKC sucks.

And to OKCFan -- Basketball was never the best of the 4 sports in Seattle. NFL is to the majority--figure it out
[/quote]

So why don't you then STFU and go find a Seahawks board somewhere. Surely the majority would have something interesting for you to do. And stop trolling around here.
Radiohead311
Senior

Post#8 » by Radiohead311 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:56 am

Why can't both sides just leave this **** alone? It's done it's over it's in the past MOVE ON.

Stop Gloating!
Stop Crying!
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,252

Post#9 » by pr0wler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 am

Jesus christ, way to generalize. Because a few people supposedly changed their minds about the Sonics bright future and no longer want a part of the NBA that somehow is misrepresented to mean "according to Seattle fans..." as a general whole. Well done.

I've always thought Durant is gonna be great and still believe so, proven by my other posts in this forum. I think the Sonics will be making the playoffs in 2009-2010, and being contenders in a few years and I will make sure to follow them even though the team is far away from me now. I'm not saying that every Seattle Sonic fan shares my same optimistic views about the team, but you can't lump them all together and say that they suddenly pulled a 180.

I thought these threads bashing OKC/Seattle fans had died but I guess I thought wrong...
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#10 » by bmw42690 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Radiohead311 wrote:Why can't both sides just leave this **** alone? It's done it's over it's in the past MOVE ON.

Stop Gloating!
Stop Crying!

AMEN!!!!!! I'm happy that we finally have a team in OKC. But I do feel bad for the Seattle people. I just wish all the arguing and bashing would stop. Just leave this stuff alone. The more arguing, the longer this stuff is going to go on. It really needs to stop!
McG
Sophomore

Post#11 » by McG » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:09 pm

OKCFan wrote:1. This was a young team on the rise, Kevin Durant was going to be a superstar, Jeff Green was going to be an All-Star, and Sam Presti was the best GM in the league.

VS

1. "It is a horrible team that's going nowhere good in the forseeable future. Durant is too weak, Green will never amount to anything, Westbrook was a HORRIBLE pick, and Presti doesn't know what he's doing."

The first post is exaggerated but still represents the general concensus in the Seattle forum. I don't think you can find anyone posting even a semblance of the points in the second post besides the Westbrook comments. Seattle fans have been the most openly critical about Durant's weight since he was drafted, and the jury is still far from out on Westbrook.

OKCFan wrote:2. The NBA was the best of the four major sports leagues, and God forbid if Seattle ever lost it's NBA team.

VS

2. "The NBA is a joke of a league. Seattle as a city wants no part of it now or ever again. It was already on it's downfall way before the whole move started taking shape. This league has maybe 10 years left at best before it folds."

Let's be reasonable, even in markets with only an NBA team there is not a fan out there who would argue that the NBA is the premier sports league. Even the NHL is pushing the NBA in ratings these days. And while the league will never 'fold' I will guarantee that it's Commissioner will within the time frame you've suggested.

OKCFan wrote:3. When a player made a comment like, "Seattle is a great city, it would take some adjustments to move," they were 100% sincere about it.

VS

But now that they are in Oklahoma City:
3. "When players talk about how excited they are about OKC, they are just trying to avoid fines. They don't really mean anything that they say to the media, deep down they hate Oklahoma City and everything in it."

Players are generally politically correct and I would agree that with your supposed point that this is still the case. However, you can't argue against the players that have publicly stated their discontent with playing in OKC (Collison, Wilkins, Ridnour) vs players saying the same for Seattle (none).
* Educating the underprivileged. *
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 955

Post#12 » by Devin 1L » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:59 pm

This thread probably didn't have much potential from the start, but has since turned into trolling and insults both ways, neither of which will be tolerated.

-Lock-

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder