Thabo vs the Weave

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Thabo vs the Weave 

Post#1 » by wiff » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 am

Well thought I create a friendly rivalry between Thabo and Kyle Weaver.

Thabo Sefolosha
4.5pts
2.9rebs
1.5dimes
0.8thefts
0.4blks

17.1 minutes
fg% 0.434
3pt% 0.300

Kyle Weaver
3.7pts
2.2rebs
1.9dimes
0.6thefts
0.3blks

17.9 minutes
fg% 0.418
3pt% 0.275

Thabo has a slight edge on Weaver in everything but dimes. Has him by an inch in height too.

I have a feeling they simply split minutes at SG. I hope Thabo is going to have to earn the starting SG spot(if he can) which I like because it creates a little friendly rivalry.

I'm sure Weaver isn't about to say "ok Thabo they traded for you here are all of my minutes".

I actually think eventually Thabo will be the back up primarily for Durant and some SG.

While Weaver will back up Westbrook primarily and some SG too.

But who knows maybe they'll just split 24 minutes a night at SG and grab a handful of minutes at SF and PG?

I'm surprised though by how close their numbers are.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: Thabo vs the Weave 

Post#2 » by paperboymafia » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:20 am

thabo can,and should produce more then that with more stable minutes. the kid can play.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#3 » by wizkid27 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I say off the bat, Weaver will be putting in somewhere around 28 minutes and Thabo will get about 24. Some of the minutes will come from Weaver (he's been playing a little over 30). I think that Thabo will basically just take all of the minutes that Wilcox played and some of Joe Smith's (especially if they let him go). I realize that he doesn't play PF, but this will also allow Green and Durant to stay at the 3/4 instead of sliding over to the 2/3 occasionally. He'll also probably eat into Watson's minutes a bit (from when Westbrook shifts to the 2) and then finally Weaver has been averaging a bit over 30 lately, so he'll pick up a couple there.

Basically, they'll both be fighting for the starting job but should see consistent minutes in the mid to high 20's for the rest of the season.
Big_Mac79
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Big_Mac79 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Wiff I love it
They are very similar players
I have watched Weaver a ton and he is your typical "glue guy"
I think you need one of those on the court at all times
If Thabo and Weaver are both that type of guy it bodes well for the Thunder
I say let Weaver continue to start until Thabo earns it (which I think he eventually will)
From the game I watched offensively it looks as if they tell Weaver "Hey go stand in the corner"
If we had a shooter that was closer to 40% from 3 it would really help to open things up
Next season they definitely need a consistent 3 point shooter at that position
BernardC
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by BernardC » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:54 pm

If any of these two develops a 3-point game, we can be dangerous.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#6 » by AAU Teammate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:11 pm

as a bulls fan, know that waiting for thabo to get a shooting stroke is something we've been on a long time.

the other components to his game are there, if he ever does get the shot going well........ then it's definitely a guy we look back on as having slipped thru our fingers.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#7 » by BigUps » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 pm

BernardC wrote:If any of these two develops a 3-point game, we can be dangerous.

Thabo's shot isn't too bad when he's able to catch, set his feet and shoot it. The problem lies when he has to shoot coming off screens or create his own shot. At this point, his offensive abilities are very limited.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by wizkid27 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:46 pm

If he can hit the Bruce Bowen catch and shoot corner shot, he would still be a fairly helpful asset, when his other strengths are considered.
stillalive
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#9 » by stillalive » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 pm

here's a cool outlook on the trade and what some experts think about thabo via espn.com

Winner: Oklahoma City Thunder

Ric Bucher, ESPN The Magazine: Only two teams actually tried to improve themselves, talent wise, so it's between Orlando acquiring Rafer Alston and OKC snaring Thabo Sefolosha.

Winner: Thunder, because they gave up a late first-round pick to get 1) a player at a position of need -- shooting guard -- especially with Desmond Mason injured, and 2) a player who is assuredly better than anything they could get late in this year's draft.

Alston fills the gap left by the injured Jameer Nelson, but what happens when Nelson is healthy again? Now you're paying Alston more than $5 million to be a backup point guard and endangering your team chemistry. Maybe it works out fine, but in the OKC deal, there is no downside.

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: Oklahoma City has been, under Sam Presti, all about draft picks and future cap space. It's a good strategy. Give up assets today for the chance to be great in the future.

But under new coach Scott Brooks, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green are starting to show signs of being able to win now. And Presti has made his moves to open the window a little faster. Sure, the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded ... but trading a pick for can-do big guard Thabo Sefolosha fills a need, and more importantly shows the future is becoming the present for the upstart Thunder.

Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com: It might not be the splashiest deal of the day -- and it's certainly a fall-off from the Tyson Chandler trade -- but I like Oklahoma City's acquisition of Thabo Sefolosha for a late first-round draft pick.

Oklahoma City has incredible offensive firepower on its roster. What OKC needs now are some players like Sefolosha who can give them some length and toughness on the wing. For the Thunder to become a perennial playoff team in the West, they'll need a defensive stopper or two, and Sefolosha can excel in that regard. He can guard four positions and rebound the ball without hurting them offensively. In other words, he can provide the Thunder some reliable glue for all those nice pieces.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: It might have been the last trade announced, and it involves only one current NBA player, but I love OKC grabbing Thabo Sefolosha for a late first-round pick.

First and foremost, I know Sam Presti intends to build his team on both ends of the court, not just with offensive firepower. Westbrook fits that plan, and now, so does their (soon-to-be) new starting shooting guard. Thabo is a real pest on defense, though he's less of a lock-down guy than someone who gets his hands on lots of basketballs. Dribble drives, guard-to-wing passes, finishes at the rim -- Thabo finds a way to disrupt all of them with his feel, length, and desire to make plays on that end.

He's improved as an athlete on offense, and he's an excellent passer. I suspect he'll be a better shooter, too, once he gets consistent minutes. The Bulls are loaded at his positions (yes, he can play two spots and defend three) so I understand them moving him. But the Thunder added a guy who should be part of their rotation as they evolve toward playoff relevance.
"I take it very seriously, knowing my opponent really wants to come at me. It's not just God's gifts. You have to work at this game. If not, you're just going to be average. You have to want it and do whatever you have to do to get it."-D.Rose
big L
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#10 » by big L » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 am

AAU Teammate wrote:as a bulls fan, know that waiting for thabo to get a shooting stroke is something we've been on a long time.

the other components to his game are there, if he ever does get the shot going well........ then it's definitely a guy we look back on as having slipped thru our fingers.

Waiting for a long time? Hasn't he only been in the league for two years?

I think Thabo will be getting the bulk of the minutes sooner than many of us think.
from ny, never been a fan of the knicks...
wiff
Head Coach

Post#11 » by wiff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Looks like Weaver threw down the guantlet last night.

19pts, 5 rebs, 1 dime and 2 steals.

VS Thabo's 2 steals and 5 fouls.

I hope they continue to try to one up the other because one of those guys should turn out to be pretty decent.

Advantage Weaver!
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by wizkid27 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Yeah, Weaver easily looked better than he has ALL YEAR last night. Don't know if the competition is going to bring out the best in him or what?
Big_Mac79
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Big_Mac79 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 pm

That's an awesome game for Weaver
I'm glad he only took 3 shots from behind the arc cuz that's not his game
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,102

Post#14 » by slick_watts » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 am

thabo's better, but neither of them will be legit nba starters.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#15 » by wiff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:46 am

Looks like Thabo had the starting role given to him.

Damn I hate that.

Weaver just had a game with 15pts and 19pts, then Brooks gives Thabo the start.

That's BS.

If Thabo is better than Weaver he'll beat him out fair and square. Why just give him the starting spot?
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#16 » by theokie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:11 am

Well its just halftime but Weaver is looking to having yet another good game. 9 Points and 3-4 shooting from 3. Thabo just has 2 on 1-5 shooting. Weaver's benching looks like it really lit a spark under him
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
Big_Mac79
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Big_Mac79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:32 am

I'm not a basketball coach and I don't pretend to be but someone want to tell me why you would take out your 2nd leading scorer for the last 7 minutes when it was only a 6 point game
Big_Mac79
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Big_Mac79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 am

oh and he was the 3rd leading scorer in the game behind only Kobe and KD
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by wizkid27 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:58 am

I've liked the way that Weaver has played lately, but Thabo also has done a great job on Kobe this evening. Even the (many) shots that Kobe made with Thabo guarding him, he was tightly guarded and sometimes Kobe is just going to make those.
Big_Mac79
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Big_Mac79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 am

By the end of the game Thabo switched and they put Green on Kobe

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder