Simone Biles

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: Simone Biles 

Post#461 » by 13th Man » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:16 pm

a8bil wrote:
13th Man wrote:
a8bil wrote: And that was even after dumbing down her routine by removing the twists from her skills to avoid the issues she's having with the "twisties." Got a lower starting point because the routine was easier, but she executed well to secure the bronze.

Lol @ he mental gymnastics here, looks like you had to perform some twisties yourself to make this suit your narrative.

I don't think I as too far off with my assessment. So the twisties only engage when the exercise is of a certain difficulty? Yeah Ok....I'm more inclined to believe that she is not as good as what she used to be, reflected by her Olympics trials performance.

Simone Biles is no longer heads and shoulders above everybody else and this is what they should have done from the start. I'm not here to demean her because she is human after all and a great Olympic champion but calling it as I see it.

It's amusing that you think you are informed sufficiently to have an opinion on a subject upon which you have absolutely zero knowledge. Every word in my post is verifiable truth ...but you don't care to know or understand that because you have your knuckle-dragging opinions already formed. Good on you. And no, once a gymnast has the twisties, they have it even while doing skills that they mastered when they were 4 years old. Biles eliminated the twists to avoid issues arising from the twisties. In the unlikely event you actually want to educate yourself...read on.

Simone Biles nailed her beam routine in Tuesday’s final, earning an execution score more than three-tenths higher than she had in the qualifying round, when she stumbled backward on her dismount. But her total score, 14.0, was slightly lower.

That’s because she changed a single skill: the dismount.

In gymnastics, each skill is assigned a letter value that represents its difficulty. Skills rated A are easiest, while more difficult skills are rated sequentially using letters of the alphabet: B, C, D and so forth (and yes, they’re in reverse of the letter grades you wanted to earn in high school).

During the qualifying round, Biles dismounted with a full-twisting double back, which is rated G. In the final, she dismounted with a double pike, which is rated E, so two letter values easier.

Each successive letter is worth an extra tenth of a point: An A skill is worth 0.1, a B skill is worth 0.2, and so on. That means in terms of absolute difficulty, doing the easier dismount cost Biles only two-tenths. But because the total difficulty score for a routine is based both on the individual skills and on bonuses for linking multiple skills, changing one move can have a snowball effect.
The Code of Points, which governs scoring in gymnastics, awards a two-tenth bonus for connecting a B skill to an F (or higher) dismount. Biles normally receives that bonus because she does two back handsprings, each rated B, into her G-rated full-twisting double back dismount. But by downgrading to an E-rated dismount, she lost the bonus.

That meant her difficulty score went down by four-tenths of a point, compared with the routine she used in the qualifying round: 6.1 instead of 6.5. That outweighed her improved execution.

Still, balance beam finals are quite unpredictable. Several other gymnasts made mistakes, and Biles, with her less difficult but better-executed routine, won a bronze medal even after finishing sixth in the qualifying round.
[url]
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/sports/olympics/simone-biles-beam-routine-score.html[/url]

I'm not disputing anything that you've stated above regarding the judging or scoring criteria. It makes sense to me, but my point is that she simply should have resorted to the lower difficulty exercises from the get-go because she's no longer able to execute on the more difficult ones as proven by her Olympic trials performance.

My rationale or logic is that if she was experiencing the twisties during the initial exercises, then she should also be experiencing during the less difficult exercises. Did her mental health situation improved all of the sudden simply due to the fact that she changed her routine? How did her mental health situation improve all of the sudden for her to come back? If this is true, then why didn't she go with the same difficulty exercises as her competitors from the get-go? This way, not only would she be judged on the same plane as her peers but she wouldn't run into mental health issues, causing her to withdraw in the first place.

My argument all along was that she is no longer heads and shoulders above the other competitors, to which her comeback at the beam finals somewhat validate this point. If she is still on a higher level, then this easier routine would've been a walk in the park for her, yielding her an easy gold but it wasn't.

Also note that she never even brought up the twisties until a couple of days after pulling out, after which some people have brought that up as a primary excuse for her performance. How convenient.

I stand by my assertion that all of this could have been prevented has Simone and her team realized from the getgo that she isn't as good as she once was. All this mental healthy stuff is merely a convenient excuse imo which doesn't add up.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#462 » by 13th Man » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:18 pm

Ayt wrote:
13th Man wrote:
a8bil wrote: And that was even after dumbing down her routine by removing the twists from her skills to avoid the issues she's having with the "twisties." Got a lower starting point because the routine was easier, but she executed well to secure the bronze.

Lol @ he mental gymnastics here, looks like you had to perform some twisties yourself to make this suit your narrative.

I don't think I as too far off with my assessment. So the twisties only engage when the exercise is of a certain difficulty? Yeah Ok....I'm more inclined to believe that she is not as good as what she used to be, reflected by her Olympics trials performance.

Simone Biles is no longer heads and shoulders above everybody else and this is what they should have done from the start. I'm not here to demean her because she is human after all and a great Olympic champion but calling it as I see it.

Conservatives always assume everyone else is as duplicitous as they are.

What does any of this have to do with conservatism? Please don't place labels on people or groups as it's actually against forum rules to do so.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#463 » by a8bil » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:43 pm

13th Man wrote:
a8bil wrote:
13th Man wrote:

It's amusing that you think you are informed sufficiently to have an opinion on a subject upon which you have absolutely zero knowledge. Every word in my post is verifiable truth ...but you don't care to know or understand that because you have your knuckle-dragging opinions already formed. Good on you. And no, once a gymnast has the twisties, they have it even while doing skills that they mastered when they were 4 years old. Biles eliminated the twists to avoid issues arising from the twisties. In the unlikely event you actually want to educate yourself...read on.

Simone Biles nailed her beam routine in Tuesday’s final, earning an execution score more than three-tenths higher than she had in the qualifying round, when she stumbled backward on her dismount. But her total score, 14.0, was slightly lower.

That’s because she changed a single skill: the dismount.

In gymnastics, each skill is assigned a letter value that represents its difficulty. Skills rated A are easiest, while more difficult skills are rated sequentially using letters of the alphabet: B, C, D and so forth (and yes, they’re in reverse of the letter grades you wanted to earn in high school).

During the qualifying round, Biles dismounted with a full-twisting double back, which is rated G. In the final, she dismounted with a double pike, which is rated E, so two letter values easier.

Each successive letter is worth an extra tenth of a point: An A skill is worth 0.1, a B skill is worth 0.2, and so on. That means in terms of absolute difficulty, doing the easier dismount cost Biles only two-tenths. But because the total difficulty score for a routine is based both on the individual skills and on bonuses for linking multiple skills, changing one move can have a snowball effect.
The Code of Points, which governs scoring in gymnastics, awards a two-tenth bonus for connecting a B skill to an F (or higher) dismount. Biles normally receives that bonus because she does two back handsprings, each rated B, into her G-rated full-twisting double back dismount. But by downgrading to an E-rated dismount, she lost the bonus.

That meant her difficulty score went down by four-tenths of a point, compared with the routine she used in the qualifying round: 6.1 instead of 6.5. That outweighed her improved execution.

Still, balance beam finals are quite unpredictable. Several other gymnasts made mistakes, and Biles, with her less difficult but better-executed routine, won a bronze medal even after finishing sixth in the qualifying round.
[url]
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/sports/olympics/simone-biles-beam-routine-score.html[/url]

I'm not disputing anything that you've stated above regarding the judging or scoring criteria. It makes sense to me, but my point is that she simply should have resorted to the lower difficulty exercises from the get-go because she's no longer able to execute on the more difficult ones as proven by her Olympic trials performance.

My rationale or logic is that if she was experiencing the twisties during the initial exercises, then she should also be experiencing during the less difficult exercises. Did her mental health situation improved all of the sudden simply due to the fact that she changed her routine? How did her mental health situation improve all of the sudden for her to come back? If this is true, then why didn't she go with the same difficulty exercises as her competitors from the get-go? This way, not only would she be judged on the same plane as her peers but she wouldn't run into mental health issues, causing her to withdraw in the first place.

My argument all along was that she is no longer heads and shoulders above the other competitors, to which her comeback at the beam finals somewhat validate this point. If she is still on a higher level, then this easier routine would've been a walk in the park for her, yielding her an easy gold but it wasn't.

Also note that she never even brought up the twisties until a couple of days after pulling out, after which some people have brought that up as a primary excuse for her performance. How convenient.

I stand by my assertion that all of this could have been prevented has Simone and her team realized from the getgo that she isn't as good as she once was. All this mental healthy stuff is merely a convenient excuse imo which doesn't add up.

Thank you for your explanation. So, I think if you consider what I posted, you can come to the answer to your question. If Biles removes all twists in her program, the difficulty of her routines drops so much that it makes it impossible for her to score at a level where she or her team could medal. The reality is that so many of Biles teammates are amongst the top gymnasts in the world that it only made sense for Biles to give them a chance (where substitutions could be made) rather than have her issues take down the team. You saw Skinner take silver in place of Biles ...and she was on her way home. Biles not stepping down in that moment would have been extremely selfish and a disaster that absolutely would have killed her reputation.

Anyone who knows gymnastics and saw Biles' first vault knew exactly what happened. I watched my daughter compete for 10 years -- literally hundreds of meets. I knew. My daughter knew. Her friends knew. This is not a "contrived" excuse...it is a condition that every gymnast goes through, and when Biles opened up after 1.5 twists with panic in her eyes, it was obvious to anyone knowledgeable in the sport what was happening. It's too bad your cynicism doesn't allow you to accept that's what happened.

The thing about the twisties is that it is temporary. I've seen girls disoriented by it for a couple days. I've seen them take weeks, or months to get beyond it. When/if Biles does, she will be back to being the best in the world, by a large measure, even if her level is below where she peaked.

Finally, your comment about her bronze performance validating your point is, IMO, misinformed. Biles took bronze in Rio. She took it again in Tokyo. It is not her strongest event and never was (vault and floor are). The fact that she still took bronze, while removing her double twist dismount suggests that she is better now than ever in that event.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#464 » by 13th Man » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:07 am

a8bil wrote:Thank you for your explanation. So, I think if you consider what I posted, you can come to the answer to your question. If Biles removes all twists in her program, the difficulty of her routines drops so much that it makes it impossible for her to score at a level where she or her team could medal. The reality is that so many of Biles teammates are amongst the top gymnasts in the world that it only made sense for Biles to give them a chance (where substitutions could be made) rather than have her issues take down the team. You saw Skinner take silver in place of Biles ...and she was on her way home. Biles not stepping down in that moment would have been extremely selfish and a disaster that absolutely would have killed her reputation.

Anyone who knows gymnastics and saw Biles' first vault knew exactly what happened. I watched my daughter compete for 10 years -- literally hundreds of meets. I knew. My daughter knew. Her friends knew. This is not a "contrived" excuse...it is a condition that every gymnast goes through, and when Biles opened up after 1.5 twists with panic in her eyes, it was obvious to anyone knowledgeable in the sport what was happening. It's too bad your cynicism doesn't allow you to accept that's what happened.

The thing about the twisties is that it is temporary. I've seen girls disoriented by it for a couple days. I've seen them take weeks, or months to get beyond it. When/if Biles does, she will be back to being the best in the world, by a large measure, even if her level is below where she peaked.

Finally, your comment about her bronze performance validating your point is, IMO, misinformed. Biles took bronze in Rio. She took it again in Tokyo. It is not her strongest event and never was (vault and floor are). The fact that she still took bronze, while removing her double twist dismount suggests that she is better now than ever in that event.

Thank you for the detailed explanation along with some personal accounts, I'm definitely open to the possibility of being wrong on this after considering the insights from someone within this sport.

I always respect and admire the mindset of a champion so it was difficult for me to fathom someone with her pedigree experiencing mental breakdowns at the biggest moment as this rarely happens with other greats. I assumed that she could have been looking for a way out since

1) she did not perform at her best a the trials either
2) she is past the age of peak performance for gymnasts. In any case, I still hold her in very high regard for all that she's accomplished and done for the sport.
3) I wondered why she and her team didn't bother adjusting her routine before pulling out.

In any case, Simone Biles deserves to be held in very high regard for all of her accomplishments and what she's done for this sport. Cheers.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#465 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:09 pm

Sorry if this was already mentioned in this long thread, but regarding the danger of this sport, an All American and team captain of one of University of Utah's NCAA championship gymnastic teams, Diane Ellingson, had a bad landing off a vault and ended up paralyzed from the fall. She later said she committed a stupid, unforgivable error by not working with a spotter on this vault, but the story is nonetheless a reminder of how dangerous this sport can be.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: Simone Biles is human! 

Post#466 » by dlts20 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:29 pm

a8bil wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
a8bil wrote:As a father of a daughter who was a near elite level gymnast, I have marveled at the spectacle that has been Simone Biles. She has been so far beyond any other gymnast that has gone before her that you had to sometimes wonder if she was human.

So many young women fall out of the sport because of injuries...my daughter included. But the bigger toll has always seemed to be mental. When a gymnast gets the yips...the outcomes can be catastrophic. A hesitation on the vault, or on the bars, beam or floor can lead to serious injury. These women have spent most of their lives watching one after another of their fellow gymnasts fall during routines that resulted in broken wrists, separated shoulders, torn acls, broken ankles...in the worst cases, paralysis. It is a risk of the sport, and it often gets the best of the athletes. It's not like standing over an important putt, overthinking the stroke. For these athletes, to launch into tumbling run with any doubt as to whether they will land their skill can lead to debilitating mental blocks. I have seen young women stand ready to start their tumbling routines and just freeze for minutes because they can't get themselves to start. It's difficult to watch.

Biles, by contrast, seemed to perform without care, even as she attempted increasingly difficult skills that put her further beyond her fellow athletes, but closer and closer to a major fail. I have seen other gymnast who may not have had Simone's talent, but they were close physically. Mentally? No comparison. The risks Simone Biles took left my daughter and her gymnast friends in awe.

Well, it seems that the mental aspect of the sport finally caught up to her. I'm happy she was able to admit to herself that she was no longer able to cope with the stress. Failing to do so could have resulted in her suffering injury. Already, she was missing her skills in alarming fashion, almost jumping off the side of the landing mat on the vault for example. Things were amiss and I for one am glad she was human enough to acknowledge her frailty. It will help other athletes understand that their fears are not unique and that even the GOAT in their sport is human.

How long did your daughter participate for and how was her growth physically. I was going to put my daughter in gymnastics until I read that it stunts your growth
Age 4 to age 15...she had to quit after her 4th broken wrist and knee surgery. Her orthopeadic surgeon said her body wasn't holding up and already had the knees of a 60 year old woman. She was working out 5 to 6 hours per day 6 days per week. Physically, she could do things that would blow your mind.

Just now seeing this. Man that's crazy. I couldn't imagine my baby having all of those injuries. 6 hours, 6 days a week is insane. I'm actually the opposite. I always want people to train hard but then rest. If you are doing extreme, physical things then I think that your body needs a day or two off. 4 days maybe but 6 is a lot, especially if it's 6 hours. How old is she now. I hope that she's doing better and still not feeling like a 60yo.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Re: Simone Biles is human! 

Post#467 » by a8bil » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:51 pm

dlts20 wrote:
a8bil wrote:
dlts20 wrote:How long did your daughter participate for and how was her growth physically. I was going to put my daughter in gymnastics until I read that it stunts your growth
Age 4 to age 15...she had to quit after her 4th broken wrist and knee surgery. Her orthopeadic surgeon said her body wasn't holding up and already had the knees of a 60 year old woman. She was working out 5 to 6 hours per day 6 days per week. Physically, she could do things that would blow your mind.

Just now seeing this. Man that's crazy. I couldn't imagine my baby having all of those injuries. 6 hours, 6 days a week is insane. I'm actually the opposite. I always want people to train hard but then rest. If you are doing extreme, physical things then I think that your body needs a day or two off. 4 days maybe but 6 is a lot, especially if it's 6 hours. How old is she now. I hope that she's doing better and still not feeling like a 60yo.
Thanks for the follow up...she's in her 20s now and doing well. She gets knee pain whenever she runs, but it's manageable. Yeah, the lives of these gymnasts are crazy...once they hit a certain level they have to do homeschooling because they just don't have the time in the day to train and attend school.

Return to Olympics