Michael Phelps Thread

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Michael Phelps Thread 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:51 am

Really, who else could it be? This is the first time in all of his Olympic appearances where he's participated in the opening ceremonies. Normally he'd sit out because of an event the next day.

I'm guessing that he's going to add some more gold to his collection.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Re: Michael Phelps to be USA flag bearer for opening ceremony 

Post#2 » by Von Bismarck » Thu Aug 4, 2016 10:09 am

Well deserved. Phelps is GOAT.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#3 » by gavran » Thu Aug 4, 2016 1:45 pm

GOAT doper too.
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#4 » by aIvin adams » Sun Aug 7, 2016 9:51 pm

gavran wrote:GOAT doper too.

cool story bro

What events is he swimming this year? I honestly had no idea he was competing before my spouse watched the parade of nations
NOD
Junior
And1: 584

Post#5 » by NOD » Mon Aug 8, 2016 3:08 am

Incredible 2nd leg on the 4x1 on the way to yet another Gold.

The only 'dope' that's been in his body is Kentucky Whiskey, BTW..
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#6 » by gavran » Mon Aug 8, 2016 6:45 am

NOD wrote:Incredible 2nd leg on the 4x1 on the way to yet another Gold.

That is why his ear grows 2-3 sizes between 2 races, sure, he is clean. No swimmer is clean.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Mr. E » Mon Aug 8, 2016 5:21 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
gavran wrote:GOAT doper too.

cool story bro

What events is he swimming this year? I honestly had no idea he was competing before my spouse watched the parade of nations

200M Butterfly
200M Individual Medley
4x100M Freestyle Relay
100M Butterfly
- Winston Churchill
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#8 » by LLJ » Mon Aug 8, 2016 5:33 pm

gavran wrote:

That is why his ear grows 2-3 sizes between 2 races, sure, he is clean. No swimmer is clean.

People bag on track and field more often, but swimming seems just as ideal for doping if not more so.

Several decades ago it would be rare--actually almost never--to see 1 or 2 swimmers who would be so far above everyone else in the field. The races were generally closer, and people leading by like 25 metres halfway through a race was almost impossible. Increasingly you see more of that. yes, advanced training and form matters so people from developed nations always have advantages, but half the length of a pool's worth a difference??

Not only that, but you have swimmers competing in 4 or 5 events packed into a week, without a drop in performance day to day. And that doesn't count the heats. To think that a human body can maintain peak performance after so many races in a week just seems to stretch credibility IMO, even with endurance training.

Then again I say this about pro sports too, and how guys can play 82+ or 162+ games in a year at a high level. I just can't fathom being a pro athlete without some kind of stimulant. You can only push and train the human body so much before it needs something extra to go further.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Michael Phelps Thread 

Post#9 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:25 am

This thread started as the "Michael Phelps to be USA flag bearer for opening ceremony"

But let's just change that now and make this the all-things Michael Phelps thread.

How many Gold Medals will this guy win when all is said and done?

Is he Aquaman? Namor, the Sub-Mariner?
- Winston Churchill
yongaz
Starter
And1: 150

Post#10 » by yongaz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 am

So now has 21 gold medals... no one else in HISTORY has more than 9. Sheesh.

And oh yeah and there's this -
http://deadspin.com/michael-phelps-tied-a-2-168-year-old-olympic-record-1785077553
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:04 am

Is this man human?

Seriously - is he human, or some human/dolphin hybrid?
- Winston Churchill
yongaz
Starter

Post#12 » by yongaz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:54 am

IKR.

And he's still not done yet.... talk about GOAT.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#13 » by jptremblay » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Really amazing, he all alone, could finish in Top20 of medals for countries...he is just amazing. And right now we have no evidence of him being doped, so he deserves all the respect.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#14 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:17 pm

LLJ wrote:
gavran wrote:

People bag on track and field more often, but swimming seems just as ideal for doping if not more so.

Several decades ago it would be rare--actually almost never--to see 1 or 2 swimmers who would be so far above everyone else in the field. The races were generally closer, and people leading by like 25 metres halfway through a race was almost impossible. Increasingly you see more of that. yes, advanced training and form matters so people from developed nations always have advantages, but half the length of a pool's worth a difference??

Not only that, but you have swimmers competing in 4 or 5 events packed into a week, without a drop in performance day to day. And that doesn't count the heats. To think that a human body can maintain peak performance after so many races in a week just seems to stretch credibility IMO, even with endurance training.

Then again I say this about pro sports too, and how guys can play 82+ or 162+ games in a year at a high level. I just can't fathom being a pro athlete without some kind of stimulant. You can only push and train the human body so much before it needs something extra to go further.

All drugs, stimulants, performance enhancers etc. should be banned in professional sports. Stop making money for pharmaceutical industry. If Mother Nature didn't make it, don't put it into your body.
yongaz
Starter

Post#15 » by yongaz » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:41 am

Man I just REALLY hope this doesn't turn out like a Lance Armstrong story...
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#16 » by LLJ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:All drugs, stimulants, performance enhancers etc. should be banned in professional sports. Stop making money for pharmaceutical industry. If Mother Nature didn't make it, don't put it into your body.

For a lot of athletes, winning is their livelihood, their business. It can be the difference between poverty and at least a comfortable life, or being a middle class guy and a fabulously rich celebrity that gets you set for life. I wouldn't risky my personal rep to do it if I were an athlete (I'd have kind of a problem with being hated worldwide lol), but I can see why some would do it. If you're willing to accept infamy down the line, you can make a ton of money before you're caught. Ask Lance Armstrong. He may be hated now, but on the flip side I'm pretty sure he made enough in his winning years to be set for life. I don't think he regrets doping one bit.

yongaz wrote:Man I just REALLY hope this doesn't turn out like a Lance Armstrong story...

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." is a good rule of thumb. Miracles and freak events *can* happen, but more often than not, a great achievement(s) usually turn out to not be as rosy down the line. We still have to publicly assume people like Ledecky, Bolt and Phelps are clean; they've never tested positive so it's not good to throw out accusations in public. That said, IF he isn't, I'm sure he has a lengthy paper trail to follow. All it takes is one snitch, one guy in the know to step out of line to blow a person's cover. And the longer a guy has been active and winning, the longer a paper trail there probably is.

The funny thing about Lance though is that if he weren't such a jerk who burned so many bridges, he might not have gotten snitched on and would still be a hero today.

Return to Olympics