Olympic Handball Thread (was - US handball team?)

dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Olympic Handball Thread (was - US handball team?) 

Post#1 » by dalton749 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:50 pm

The us doesn't have a handball team in the olympics this year, but they could easily dominate it if they wanted to IMO.
A team of nba players could probably give up a month of their summer to win a gold medal that they otherwise wouldn't get a chance at in basketball.
A team like this would probably destroy everyone just by walking in the gym.

Goal: Quincy acy
James Johnson
Matt Barnes
Tony wrotten
Nate Robinson
Lance Stevenson
Pj tucker

Why has nobody done this, it would be a fun way to spend the summer competing at the highest level.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Re: US handball team? 

Post#2 » by LLJ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:51 pm

dalton749 wrote:The us doesn't have a handball team in the olympics this year, but they could easily dominate it if they wanted to IMO.
A team of nba players could probably give up a month of their summer to win a gold medal that they otherwise wouldn't get a chance at in basketball.

James Johnson
Matt Barnes
Tony wrotten
Nate Robinson
Lance Stevenson
Pj tucker

Why has nobody done this, it would be a fun way to spend the summer competing at the highest level.

Hmm, I don't know if everyone would transition to handball well. For one thing, the ball is smaller, and some players already have trouble handling the bigger basketball. Passing and catching would be a nightmare for these guys.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:53 pm

This would be like the times that the U.S. tried to field a bobsled team full of NFL players.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#4 » by TheTrooper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 pm

dalton749 wrote:The us doesn't have a handball team in the olympics this year, but they could easily dominate it if they wanted to IMO.

James Johnson
Matt Barnes
Tony wrotten
Nate Robinson
Lance Stevenson
Pj tucker

Yeah, because one summer of training can replace the experience and skill that the other teams had playing their whole lives. :/
Do you honestly think that any NBA players could develop top level technique over night ?
Handball players at Olympic level are all great pros that have been playing the sport for 10-20 years. They are pretty strong and athletic too. Those are guys that are no pushovers even by NBA standards.
Also you cannot simply compensate for poor goalkeeping. Goalkeeper is the single most important position in this sport and even if you take US soccer NT players to play it they will have a hard time. Good luck finding someone to do this without playing their whole lives.

These guys are about 50% of the defense and defense in this sport that relies a lot on transition plays wins games.

Don't get me started on tactics,although that is the area that they can work on the most.

Anyways,as someone who competed until the age of 19-20 in this sport I would love to see it grow in the US. There is a huge potential there. It's said that it is the most american sport most Americans never heard about.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:33 pm

TheTrooper wrote:Anyways,as someone who competed until the age of 19-20 in this sport I would love to see it grow in the US. There is a huge potential there. It's said that it is the most american sport most Americans never heard about.

I love that description! Well done!

Americans as a whole tend to be apprehensive about embracing sports outside of the big 3 full-time. For something like Handball to take off they probably would need some big name star power to attract attention, and more importantly retain attention.

The team of NBA guys listed wouldn't move the needle, though. They'd need a bigger name and some modicum of success.
- Winston Churchill
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#6 » by TheTrooper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Mr. E wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:Anyways,as someone who competed until the age of 19-20 in this sport I would love to see it grow in the US. There is a huge potential there. It's said that it is the most american sport most Americans never heard about.

I love that description! Well done!

Americans as a whole tend to be apprehensive about embracing sports outside of the big 3 full-time. For something like Handball to take off they probably would need some big name star power to attract attention, and more importantly retain attention.

The team of NBA guys listed wouldn't move the needle, though. They'd need a bigger name and some modicum of success.

Well not embracing sports is not a uniquely American thing. Europeans are really reluctant to give baseball or the NFL a chance for example. On the other hand basketball has a nice base in Europe and Soccer is growing in the USA.

I'm skeptical about the chances of handball going big in the US because of some initiative coming from Europe. It needs to grow financially in Europe first. The economic crisis really hurt handball as a sport.

Team of NBA guys might be able to do the trick. It would turn some attention to the sport and maybe some money around. I really believe that they could be pretty good given 3-4 years to get ready (not elite though like OP claims). Basketball players have a history of transitioning to handball in Europe. Best example of it is Ivano Balic a legit GOAT candidate. He played both until mid teens and then chose handball, although he claims he likes basketball better.
Basketball is a sport with more skill then handball and a lot more size.If you are good at basketball you can be good at handball too. But the guys that will transition well are not necessarily the most skilled or the most athletic ones. It's really the ones that can take the most beating. :lol:

If I was an American trying to gather a team for the next Olympics I would first look at handball pros in Europe that a US citizens. Next I would take some big names from other sports (football and basketball) and I would take the ones that are able to take the biggest beating and I would try to naturalize 2-3 pro goalkeepers. They are the one that a by far the hardest to produce from scratch.
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#7 » by wilt » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Yeah, sports totally work that way.

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:17 pm

TheTrooper wrote:Well not embracing sports is not a uniquely American thing. Europeans are really reluctant to give baseball or the NFL a chance for example. On the other hand basketball has a nice base in Europe and Soccer is growing in the USA.

I'm skeptical about the chances of handball going big in the US because of some initiative coming from Europe. It needs to grow financially in Europe first. The economic crisis really hurt handball as a sport.

Team of NBA guys might be able to do the trick. It would turn some attention to the sport and maybe some money around. I really believe that they could be pretty good given 3-4 years to get ready (not elite though like OP claims). Basketball players have a history of transitioning to handball in Europe. Best example of it is Ivano Balic a legit GOAT candidate. He played both until mid teens and then chose handball, although he claims he likes basketball better.
Basketball is a sport with more skill then handball and a lot more size.If you are good at basketball you can be good at handball too. But the guys that will transition well are not necessarily the most skilled or the most athletic ones. It's really the ones that can take the most beating. :lol:

If I was an American trying to gather a team for the next Olympics I would first look at handball pros in Europe that a US citizens. Next I would take some big names from other sports (football and basketball) and I would take the ones that are able to take the biggest beating and I would try to naturalize 2-3 pro goalkeepers. They are the one that a by far the hardest to produce from scratch.

Where in Europe is Handball the most popular? Is it a big thing in the Balkans or Central Europe?

I just did an quick search and I found out that not only is there a Handball club in my city (fourth ((really third)) largest in USA, so that shouldn't surprise me); but they actually hold open practices just a few miles down the road from me a few times a week. I will have to check them out.
- Winston Churchill
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#9 » by TheTrooper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:09 am

Mr. E wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:Well not embracing sports is not a uniquely American thing. Europeans are really reluctant to give baseball or the NFL a chance for example. On the other hand basketball has a nice base in Europe and Soccer is growing in the USA.

Where in Europe is Handball the most popular? Is it a big thing in the Balkans or Central Europe?

I just did an quick search and I found out that not only is there a Handball club in my city (fourth ((really third)) largest in USA, so that shouldn't surprise me); but they actually hold open practices just a few miles down the road from me a few times a week. I will have to check them out.

It's spread out really. There is no place where it is a no1 sport, but it's a thing in many countries. Nordic countries are into handball a lot. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland.
The countries of former Yugoslavia are the only ones in the Balkans where it is popular (in particular Croatia, Slovenia and Macedonia). Female handball is still relatively popular in Romania.
It's popular in Germany (they have the best league), France (second best league, and most successful NT ever), Spain (used to have the best league, but they crashed and now are a one team league - Barcelona, still one of the best NT), Hungary and Poland.
There are some other handball nations that are decent and have some decent clubs/players like Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Portugal (they are investing a lot lately in their clubs).
Other than that Russia used to be a powerhouse, but now they are really really bad, Their league is awful, their NT is average and all of their best players are in their mid 30's.
Shame, the 90's were Sweden vs Russia era. 00's were Croatia vs France and now there is this "big 4" (Croatia, France, Spain, Denmark) which is sometimes joined in the semifinals by Poland, Hungary, Germany or the host nation of the tournament :lol: .

Outside of Europe the Arabs are good at it. Tunisia is the best one right now. Actually it's Qatar, but their NT doesn't have any Qatari players. They are tolerated because they pump up a lot of money in European clubs and sponsor every competition. Egypt was for a long time the best African team and Algeria is a regular at the WC.
Argentina and Brazil are competitive and are known to cause trouble to the European teams in WC and Olympics. A lot of their players play in Europe too.
South Korea used to be good, but not anymore. They had few good generations and now they are just there because there is not much competition in Asia. Their women's NT is pretty good though. Iranian handball is also a thing.

Go ahead,check it out :D It's a shame I havent played in a while :lol:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:22 am

TheTrooper wrote:It's spread out really. There is no place where it is a no1 sport, but it's a thing in many countries. Nordic countries are into handball a lot. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland.
The countries of former Yugoslavia are the only ones in the Balkans where it is popular (in particular Croatia, Slovenia and Macedonia). Female handball is still relatively popular in Romania.
It's popular in Germany (they have the best league), France (second best league, and most successful NT ever), Spain (used to have the best league, but they crashed and now are a one team league - Barcelona, still one of the best NT), Hungary and Poland.
There are some other handball nations that are decent and have some decent clubs/players like Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Portugal (they are investing a lot lately in their clubs).
Other than that Russia used to be a powerhouse, but now they are really really bad, Their league is awful, their NT is average and all of their best players are in their mid 30's.
Shame, the 90's were Sweden vs Russia era. 00's were Croatia vs France and now there is this "big 4" (Croatia, France, Spain, Denmark) which is sometimes joined in the semifinals by Poland, Hungary, Germany or the host nation of the tournament :lol: .

Outside of Europe the Arabs are good at it. Tunisia is the best one right now. Actually it's Qatar, but their NT doesn't have any Qatari players. They are tolerated because they pump up a lot of money in European clubs and sponsor every competition. Egypt was for a long time the best African team and Algeria is a regular at the WC.
Argentina and Brazil are competitive and are known to cause trouble to the European teams in WC and Olympics. A lot of their players play in Europe too.
South Korea used to be good, but not anymore. They had few good generations and now they are just there because there is not much competition in Asia. Their women's NT is pretty good though. Iranian handball is also a thing.

Go ahead,check it out :D It's a shame I havent played in a while :lol:

When I volunteered to be a moderator for this seasonal forum I was hoping for the kind of posts that you have provided in this thread. I cannot thank you enough!

One of the biggest reasons why I can look past any scandals or political drama and just enjoy the Olympics is because I love learning about sports with which I am not familiar, and how they fit in around the world. This is how a Texan ends up as a fan of Curling or plans on checking out a local Handball club! :lol:

Next year I'm most likely going to be spending some time in the Baltics, Poland, Romania and the Balkans for work. I was already planning on checking out as much basketball as possible in as many places as possible; and now I'll add Handball to the list!
- Winston Churchill
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#11 » by gavran » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:26 am

James Johnson
Matt Barnes
Tony wrotten
Nate Robinson
Lance Stevenson
Pj tucker

That team would get crushed by a mediocre women's team. Don't underestimate the skill that's needed for handball.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#12 » by TheTrooper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Mr. E wrote:
When I volunteered to be a moderator for this seasonal forum I was hoping for the kind of posts that you have provided in this thread. I cannot thank you enough!

One of the biggest reasons why I can look past any scandals or political drama and just enjoy the Olympics is because I love learning about sports with which I am not familiar, and how they fit in around the world. This is how a Texan ends up as a fan of Curling or plans on checking out a local Handball club! :lol:

Next year I'm most likely going to be spending some time in the Baltics, Poland, Romania and the Balkans for work. I was already planning on checking out as much basketball as possible in as many places as possible; and now I'll add Handball to the list!

You are welcome :)
Yeah me too, the Olympics are really that time to learn about new sports. If the Olympics were not there I would hardly ever watch a shooting,rowing, weight lifting etc. competition. Great time to learn new things and time to admire the skill and dedication of the athletes in all sports.

If you want to know more about the sport, who the best teams are, best players, rules, positions, tactics I will be happy to answer all questions. I would be very happy if I could turn one Texan to handball :lol:
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#13 » by TheTrooper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:07 pm

gavran wrote:

James Johnson
Matt Barnes
Tony wrotten
Nate Robinson
Lance Stevenson
Pj tucker

That team would get crushed by a mediocre women's team. Don't underestimate the skill that's needed for handball.

Let's not go that far :D
The could be decent if they have time to practice and find a goalkeeper or two.

Anyways watching yesterdays Australia - USA game I could not help but think what a good handball player Delly would make. He could be good center back.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#14 » by TheTrooper » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Anyways, 30 minutes ago a true handball classic ended. Croatia - France 29:28
What a thriller, France was perfect from the 7m line the whole game and they had another 7 m penalty 10 seconds before the end. Croatian goalkeeper Pesic (who has suffered a knife attack at a club in Hungary, his teammate was killed, he lost a kidney) saved the day for Croatia.

Really this game was the best this sport can offer. Even game for 60 minutes, great tactics and skill and excellent goalkeeping. Everything was great except for the refs. Unfortunately referees are one of handballs biggest problems. They have a lot of power and a lot of situations are not clearly defined so they could be called either way. There have been a lot of situations where the refs have been massacring certain teams in certain games.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#15 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm

TheTrooper wrote:The countries of former Yugoslavia are the only ones in the Balkans where it is popular (in particular Croatia, Slovenia and Macedonia). Female handball is still relatively popular in Romania.

It's popular in Serbia too. It's just that we suck at the moment. We had a moment of brilliance a few years ago but that team fell apart. From team sports it's up there with volleyball in terms of number of people that play it (and we are awesome at volleyball)
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#16 » by TheTrooper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:The countries of former Yugoslavia are the only ones in the Balkans where it is popular (in particular Croatia, Slovenia and Macedonia). Female handball is still relatively popular in Romania.

It's popular in Serbia too. It's just that we suck at the moment. We had a moment of brilliance a few years ago but that team fell apart. From team sports it's up there with volleyball in terms of number of people that play it (and we are awesome at volleyball)

Well that team fell apart in part because they are old. You guys have always been a bit of an underachievers in handball. Always had some nice individual,but somehow there was something missing. In 2012 things aligned nicely for you guys, but that is in large part because you hosted that EC.
I hope you guy bounce back.
gavran
RealGM

Post#17 » by gavran » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:01 pm

TheTrooper wrote:Croatian goalkeeper Pesic (who has suffered a knife attack at a club in Hungary, his teammate was killed, he lost a kidney) saved the day for Croatia.

I remember that as if it was yesterday, poor Cozma. My friend was at that trial in college, you wouldn't believe how those gypses were trying to defend themselves.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#18 » by TheTrooper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:22 pm

gavran wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:Croatian goalkeeper Pesic (who has suffered a knife attack at a club in Hungary, his teammate was killed, he lost a kidney) saved the day for Croatia.

I remember that as if it was yesterday, poor Cozma. My friend was at that trial in college, you wouldn't believe how those gypses were trying to defend themselves.

Why did they attack them at all ? I hope they got life in prison or something similar. Cozma was stabbed in the heart 2 times, Pesic in the back and Sesums skull was crashed. Brutal attack.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#19 » by 90sgoat » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 pm

gavran wrote:That team would get crushed by a mediocre women's team. Don't underestimate the skill that's needed for handball.

:lol:

That's funny.

That team would demolish a female team.

You do realize most u-16 male teams would absolutely dominate against female national teams right?
gavran
RealGM

Post#20 » by gavran » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 am

90sgoat wrote:
gavran wrote:That team would get crushed by a mediocre women's team. Don't underestimate the skill that's needed for handball.

:lol:

That's funny.

That team would demolish a female team.

You do realize most u-16 male teams would absolutely dominate against female national teams right?

In a sport they never played before and don't know the rules? Yeah sure, seems legit.

Return to Olympics