young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Re: Basketball - Day 7 Game Thread Aug. 12th 

Post#301 » by young_frogger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:52 am

bender235 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Beffiosa wrote:
No one is arguing. What are these basketball skills that these international players have that far exceeds that of NBA players?

This is the part I think your referring to

For example some guys in the NBA are strictly there because they are athletic enough to hang but their skills aren't close to the the international players who can't play in the NBA because they aren't athletic enough to keep up.

I'm referring to fringe NBA players who are in the league because their athleticism helps them vs a highly skilled european player who doesn't have the foot speed or explosiveness to thrive in the NBA style.

So? You also have international players that are only in the league mainly for their size and/or athleticism (of the top of my head: Mickael Pietrus, Serge Ibaka, Rudy Fernandez, Mario Henzonja, Nikola Vucevic, ...), just like you have fringe NBA players who made an NBA roster despite below-average athleticism but due to their skill set (of the top of my head: Mike Dunleavy, Kyle Korver, Kirk Hinrich, Matt Bonner, ...).

No one is saying that these players don't exist. It's just that it isn't a strictly "international vs. NBA" thing.

Okay, not that I even disagree with your point necessarily but I strongly disagree with the examples you listed. Pietrus was a 3 and D player who while being decently athletic was not particularly big or an athletic freak. Fernandez, again despite being a decent athlete was in the league mostly because of his shooting stroke. Serge is also known for being a floor spacer in addition to shot blocker. Vucevic? He's one of the most skilled post-players in the game, and isn't even particularly athletic. Hezonja is probably the best example that you mentioned, but he is also known for having a good shooting stroke.
Carry On My Hayward Son
bender235
Junior
And1: 5

Post#302 » by bender235 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:43 am

bakesale wrote:
bender235 wrote:LeBron James throws these kinds of passes night-in and night-out, plus he's a more gifted scorer, rebounder and defender. I still don't understand the obsession with international players.

Everybody already knows what Lebron can do, WTF is wrong with shining a light on what other people can do? This is an Olympic Games thread.

I'm sorry, I'm thought we were still in that "international players have superior skill set" discussion.
bender235
Junior
And1: 5

Post#303 » by bender235 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:44 pm

Interesting fact in this "international players are so much more skilled" is that Team USA leads the field 3P% and also has the lowest TO per game ratio of all teams.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#304 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:34 am

They are not more skilled. Some int'l schools of basketball (mostly Baltics & former Yuogoslavs) have a good tradition in long range shooting, they practice it well and hard. They also have this "why not?" attitude in basketball that allows 7 footers to practice all sorts of small man moves, and as a result you get some nimble & skilled bigs like Porzingis, Divac, Arvydas Sabonis etc.

Americans are clearly better ball handlers, they always have players who can do some circus stuff.
chudak
Senior
And1: 293

Post#305 » by chudak » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 pm

bender235 wrote:LeBron James throws these kinds of passes night-in and night-out, plus he's a more gifted scorer, rebounder and defender. I still don't understand the obsession with international players.

LeBron is a better player than Milos Teodosic??? :o
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#306 » by Bball0000 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:31 am

Rotten Apple wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:Guess Klay shut everyone up vs France lol

Rotten Apple wrote:Melo and KD are by far the best 2 players on the team, the goal should be playing off of them.

Sure if 1on1 iso is the only criteria and blackhole-ing is the goal.
Klay dropped 30 vs France AND played good defense. Dude is still underappreciated because he's not flashy.

Counted 5 times vs France that Melo got completely burned on defense/rotated wrong/made wrong read.

Like I predicted, the best lineup included Irving or Lowry, Klay Durant Green DJ. Way more balance + 3 all-defense players. For this roster, Melo would be better suited to be a spark plug 6th man and just go on a scoring tear. But Irving Melo Cousins is a disaster on defense. Coach K is sipping a margarita as he makes this farewell last Olympics. He's stroking egos and legacy players instead of putting the best product on the court and the right mix of players. I would seriously change the starting lineup to a more balanced one. And if stars get butthurt over that, well then they should stop beating teams by only 3. 'Cause this style and bad lineups will have trouble getting gold if the play doesn't improve.

You obviously have Klay bias since he finally has a good game.

Nah I have an "unselfish / complete player / high bball iq / plays the right way" bias actually. Klay just happens to fit the mold.

Melo is the 2nd best player on the team? lol. Paul George, Klay Thompson, Cousins, etc are all better.

This has now been 2 straight games where Melo's absence has helped the team. The guy did some good things in 2012 and 2008, but USA also could afford ballhogs because they had leaders and facilitators like CP3, Lebron, etc to keep the rock moving. On this squad, chemistry-killing players have more impact because of the lack of facilitators.
salmon
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#307 » by salmon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 am

Melo's carried that team at stages... As far as I'm considered he's proven himself as a top dogg in this game at any level!!!
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#308 » by Rotten Apple » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:35 pm

Bball0000 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:Guess Klay shut everyone up vs France lol

Sure if 1on1 iso is the only criteria and blackhole-ing is the goal.
Klay dropped 30 vs France AND played good defense. Dude is still underappreciated because he's not flashy.

Counted 5 times vs France that Melo got completely burned on defense/rotated wrong/made wrong read.

Like I predicted, the best lineup included Irving or Lowry, Klay Durant Green DJ. Way more balance + 3 all-defense players. For this roster, Melo would be better suited to be a spark plug 6th man and just go on a scoring tear. But Irving Melo Cousins is a disaster on defense. Coach K is sipping a margarita as he makes this farewell last Olympics. He's stroking egos and legacy players instead of putting the best product on the court and the right mix of players. I would seriously change the starting lineup to a more balanced one. And if stars get butthurt over that, well then they should stop beating teams by only 3. 'Cause this style and bad lineups will have trouble getting gold if the play doesn't improve.

You obviously have Klay bias since he finally has a good game.

Nah I have an "unselfish / complete player / high bball iq / plays the right way" bias actually. Klay just happens to fit the mold.

Melo is the 2nd best player on the team? lol. Paul George, Klay Thompson, Cousins, etc are all better.

This has now been 2 straight games where Melo's absence has helped the team. The guy did some good things in 2012 and 2008, but USA also could afford ballhogs because they had leaders and facilitators like CP3, Lebron, etc to keep the rock moving. On this squad, chemistry-killing players have more impact because of the lack of facilitators.

1. No they aren't better.
2. Melo was feeding Klay that game.
3. Melo either shoots it or gives it up to a cutter he's not killing the chemistry.
4. You're reaching hard for an argument and waited until he had a bad game and calling him a "ball hog."
5. Only one hogging the ball is Kyrie.
6. They're winning idk why you're crying so much.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer

Post#309 » by Bball0000 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
3. Melo either shoots it or gives it up to a cutter he's not killing the chemistry.
4. You're reaching hard for an argument and waited until he had a bad game and calling him a "ball hog."

1. Says you. The defense and ball movement picks up after he leaves the court.
2. Lol ok. How many assists Melo got this olympics.
3. Melo shoots it - contested. And everyone knows he's going to.
4. I've been saying this all olympics
5. Kyrie is over-dribbling, Melo is over-shooting
6. LOL ok. Logical analysis = you're simpleton interpretation of "crying" 'cause you got nothing else. Do you do you even KNOW Team USA basketball? This team is almost as bad as the 2004 Bronze team. Sure Zeka, sure no Lebron no Curry, but cmon, it's inexcusable. The NBA needs to start being the standard MENTALLY instead of just talent. They need to lead the charge on playing elite mental basketball.

You're more interested in defending your bff Melo instead of actually watching whats happening on the court.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#310 » by Rotten Apple » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Bball0000 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

6. LOL ok. Logical analysis = you're simpleton interpretation of "crying" 'cause you got nothing else. Do you do you even KNOW Team USA basketball? This team is almost as bad as the 2004 Bronze team. Sure Zeka, sure no Lebron no Curry, but cmon, it's inexcusable. The NBA needs to start being the standard MENTALLY instead of just talent. They need to lead the charge on playing elite mental basketball.

You're more interested in defending your bff Melo instead of actually watching whats happening on the court.

I would continue you this debate but you starting this BFF crap shows you're too emotional involved in this. You don't have to do that, it was a good debate but I'm not interested in it anymore because it means too much to you. Paul George is my favorite player btw thanks.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer

Post#311 » by Bball0000 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

I would continue you this debate but you starting this BFF crap shows you're too emotional involved in this. You don't have to do that, it was a good debate but I'm not interested in it anymore because it means too much to you. Paul George is my favorite player btw thanks.

Coulda fooled me but wtvr lol. Paul George would be a way better fit in the starting lineup than Melo.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#312 » by Rotten Apple » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Bball0000 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:

Coulda fooled me but wtvr lol. Paul George would be a way better fit in the starting lineup than Melo.

Dude stop quoting me I don't care damn
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#313 » by Rotten Apple » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:14 pm

DeAndre and Klay brought this one home for the USA, great games by both

Return to Olympics