Basketball - Day 7 Game Thread Aug. 12th

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,957

Re: Basketball - Day 7 Game Thread Aug. 12th 

Post#261 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:12 pm

bb22 wrote:I'm sorry but saying that our development system generally sucks is absurd. The talent/maturity/physicality gap between American middle/highschoolers and the European kids is still enormous. The developmental programs and techniques used in Europe/US are all based on the same core principles. We just like to cater more towards the talent rich/athletically gifted end of the spectrum as the kids get older, because it has proven to be a recipe for success in every single league.
And to the person that said NBA players have zero fundamentals, that is absolutely laughable. Please define what you mean by fundamentals. The Aussies and Serbians have two very cohesive groups that played patiently and moved the ball well. This is more of a coaching (and player selection + chemistry) issue than an example of a gap in fundamentals.

What does this have to do with development? I'd put that down to raw talent, of which we obviously have loads.

You can't denigrate all AAU/HS coaches, which is why I said "generally." I'm sure lots of them are great. LeBron, for example, obviously got some great coaching at a young age. I've read some great stuff about an AAU coach in Seattle as well who has cranked out loads of NBA players. I'm sure you can find lots more.

At the same time, you don't have to do any research whatsoever to realize what an inefficient, and often times crooked, system it is, loaded with sneaker pimps who have no business teaching elementary school kids, let alone high-level prospects. And with the sham that is the amateur student-athlete, college isn't a whole lot better.

This article basically sums it up:

Buford had lived much of what he read. With two sons who recently played college basketball and rose through the AAU scene, Buford has had a floor seat to the yawning divide in how the game is taught in America and overseas. In AAU, anyone who pays a $16 fee and finishes a background check and an online clinic can coach. In the FIBA club system in Europe, although requirements vary from country to country, coaches must earn various licenses, which often require them to complete intensive training, covering everything from X's and O's to nutrition. The U.S. has the NCAA serving as a conflicted arbiter of both the players' time and money; there is no pretense of amateurism overseas, and for better or worse, practices often last hours longer than our regulated college ones.

The Spurs, of course, are not in the business of worrying about the demands on a student-athlete's time and saw it as a plus that guys like Ginobili and Parker had been playing club basketball since they were teenagers, schooled by accredited coaches, the 10,000-hour rule brought to the hardwood. Consider Pop's brutal assessment that foreign players are "fundamentally harder working than most American kids," and it's no wonder the Spurs want to avoid the fate of so many NBA teams, which are, as Buford says, "the end of the road for the developmental habits that are built in the less-structured environment in the U.S."

The way the Spurs see it, though, the biggest divide isn't structural but cultural. Something has happened to basketball in the country that invented it, as well-documented as it as irrevocable, driven by money and fame and a generation of players who've learned from watching sharks succeed by imposing their will upon the game rather than by allowing it to come to them. It used to be that a team needed a transcendent talent to execute a star system; now, it needs a transcendent talent -- LeBron James or Duncan -- to show that it's permissible to be unselfish. Consider that the U.S. has won only two of the major world junior championships in the past 26 years -- not even in 2007, with Stephen Curry and Michael Beasley on the roster -- and the root rot of the U.S. system is all the more clear.

"That's a statement about where we are," Buford says. "When we put our best players together, we aren't playing well."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9364989/san-antonio-spurs-doing-right-drafting-international-athletes-espn-magazine

Now, the Spurs also have one of the hardest working and most fundamentally sound players on the planet in Kawhi Leonard, an American. So, again, you can't paint everything with a broad, definitive brush. I don't have any problem with emphasizing athleticsm like we do, because it's a massively effective weapon. As Pop himself has said, the Spurs developed their recent "FIBA style" because they had to, which is the same reason why Eurpoean teams do -- they almost never have players like LeBron or Kobe or KD or Melo or insert any number of other players who can dominate games.

But I've read way, way too many horror stories about AAU, and generally have little respect for how colleges operate, to think we have a good youth development system.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#262 » by 90sgoat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Fundamentals is such things as doing a backdoor cut.
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#263 » by Hindenburg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:28 pm

all that talk about Barnes, however it is Klay who has been a lot worse in Rio

Klay is averaging 2.8 pts 2.2 rbs 1.8 asts on 15.4%FG and 18.8% 3PT in 16.6 minutes per game

China: 1-6 FG, 0-3 from three
Venezuela: 0-5 FG, 0-4 from three
Australia: 2-9 FG, 2-6 from three
Serbia: 1-6 FG, 1-3 from three

Barnes:

China: 4-6 FG, 0-1 from three
Venezuela: 0-2 FG, 0-0 from three
Australia: DNP
Serbia: DNP

Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#264 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 pm

90sgoat wrote:Fundamentals is such things as doing a backdoor cut.

You need to explain how LeBron James isn't fundamental. That's one of the silliest things I've read on RealGM, and I've been here a while.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#265 » by bb22 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:What does this have to do with development? I'd put that down to raw talent, of which we obviously have loads.

Are you suggesting that our players are born talented? Or have some predisposition to become the greatest basketball players on Earth, that the rest of the world does not? Come on.
I do agree with you, there are some crooked programs in the US (as are some in Europe), but there are so many more great ones. To get away from the development talk, which I am not qualified enough to comment further in detail on, the NBA and FIBA ball are two very different games. I'll just put this out there: Fundamental skills in the NBA, and fundamental skills in FIBA/Euroleague differ. You give our guys a couple months playing under FIBA rules (and more importantly, playing together) and I have no doubt they would dominate these "fundamentally sound" teams.
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#266 » by Rotten Apple » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:33 pm

The NBA is really light years behind FIBA in terms of play style. The only thing they have over FIBA is superior athletes which makes of better defenders when bringing the two together, the skill level gap is vast in my eyes. Thats why only highly skilled NBA players tend to dominate international competition.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#267 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:55 pm

bb22 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:What does this have to do with development? I'd put that down to raw talent, of which we obviously have loads.

Are you suggesting that our players are born talented? Or have some predisposition to become the greatest basketball players on Earth, that the rest of the world does not? Come on.
I do agree with you, there are some crooked programs in the US (as are some in Europe), but there are so many more great ones. To get away from the development talk, which I am not qualified enough to comment further in detail on, the NBA and FIBA ball are two very different games. I'll just put this out there: Fundamental skills in the NBA, and fundamental skills in FIBA/Euroleague differ. You give our guys a couple months playing under FIBA rules (and more importantly, playing together) and I have no doubt they would dominate these "fundamentally sound" teams.

No, not at all.

Look, I get irritated by the generalizations as well. That's why I responded in the first place. It happens during every competition, even when we are kicking ass. There are things I absolutely love about international basketball, primarily the ball movement. At the same time, having watched 20-30 EuroLeague games over the years, I don't care for the overall product -- and that's what spectator sports are, a product -- at all. It reminds me of college basketball -- slow pace, minimal athleticism, coaches over controlling everything, mediocre shooting, etc. So I find any attempts to use a couple of good/bad performances every couple of years during these competitions as a referendum on the state of U.S. basketball vs. FIBA to be a bit laughable.

You want a referendum? Nando De Colo was just MVP of the EuroLeage. Nando Freaking De Colo.

And I agree that a big part of the bumps we run into -- which aren't going to matter if we go on to win gold, for which we're still favorites -- have to do with time. Like they were saying the other night, Team USA has had something like four practices so far. That's crazy. But with an 82-game schedule, it's hard to reasonably ask these guys to do a whole lot more than that.

At the same time, I don't think it can be disputed, in general, that we have such tremendous individual players, who can and are used to taking over games, it can cause us to bog down at times. Thibs said as much after the game last night. It's just the nature of NBA basketball and what these competitions are. That individual talent/athletic ability is a huge reason why we've dominated to the extent we have over the past eight years. Given a choice, there isn't a coach/fan base on the planet that wouldn't take our success and playing style. But, again, it can cause issues at times. (And I still think our bigger problems, by far, are on the defensive end, where the lack of practice time/cohesion really hurts.)

And I especially don't think it can be disputed that our youth development has major issues. I mean, don't take it from me. Read that article, in which a HOF coach and GM both say, basically, it sucks. And I could find 50 just like it. Doesn't mean we don't churn out some wonderful players, obviously. Lots and lots of wonderful players. But it could and should be a lot better.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#268 » by andrewww » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:11 pm

No Marc Gasol or Serge Ibaka for Spain this Olympics, but insert Mirotic. Navarro on decline? Also no Calderon. Overall a net loss and thus far there is no clear challenger to the U.S.
bender235
Junior
And1: 5

Post#269 » by bender235 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:04 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:The NBA is really light years behind FIBA in terms of play style. The only thing they have over FIBA is superior athletes which makes of better defenders when bringing the two together, the skill level gap is vast in my eyes. Thats why only highly skilled NBA players tend to dominate international competition.

So, if you're good at basketball you're good at basketball? Wow, that's a statement.

I don't understand this obsession with international players' skills. Most of the stars of all international teams play in the NBA. We all know what Gasol, Scola, Ginobili, Bogdanovic, Motiejunas and so forth are capable of. And we know they are not of the same caliber as LeBron, Durant or Steph Curry.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#270 » by Rotten Apple » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:10 pm

bender235 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:The NBA is really light years behind FIBA in terms of play style. The only thing they have over FIBA is superior athletes which makes of better defenders when bringing the two together, the skill level gap is vast in my eyes. Thats why only highly skilled NBA players tend to dominate international competition.

So, if you're good at basketball you're good at basketball? Wow, that's a statement.

I don't understand this obsession with international players' skills. Most of the stars of all international teams play in the NBA. We all know what Gasol, Scola, Ginobili, Bogdanovic, Motiejunas and so forth are capable of. And we know they are not of the same caliber as LeBron, Durant or Steph Curry.

can you read? :crazy: :noway: :banghead:

I never said they were of the same caliber as LeBron/Durant/Steph, the difference in skill in terms of the focus of the game says a lot. For example some guys in the NBA are strictly there because they are athletic enough to hang but their skills aren't close to the the international players who can't play in the NBA because they aren't athletic enough to keep up. If the NBA was played in a game more tailored to skill like it is on the FIBA level you'd see a much better product in terms of pure basketball. Thats all I was saying.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#271 » by Bball0000 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:55 pm

young11a wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:Irving
Klay
Durant
Draymond
DJ or Cousins

Play this lineup 25+ min and USA wins by 30.
Why?
Cohesion and chemistry. Dray knows Klay, and now they will want to include KD because he's their new teammate. They're also familiar with DJ and Irving in high pressure playoff games as an opponent.
Passing. Watch any Warrior game and you will see Klay can pass well, Draymond's great passer, high assists last year.
Defense. Draymond and DJ front court is all-defense. Klay is all-defense.
Shooting . Durant, Klay pure shooters 'nuff said

COACH K needs to stop feeding egos and pecking orders and do whatever to win ball games by a lot.
Playing the 2 biggest volume shooters in the world - MELO AND DURANT - at the same time is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Have one of them come off the bench as a very good 6th man.

other than Dj the other 5 guys have been usas worst players

coach K is a clown and needs to forget about big names and play guys that are playing the best

People keep saying that, yet their only criteria for that opinion is buckets made. Klay has been paired with KD and Melo (2 of the biggest ball sucks and volume shooters in the NBA). Therefore he never gets in a flow because he never gets shots. But we've seen
too much GSW gameplay to discount the excellence, unselfishness, and iq of Dray and Klay. These guys are all-defense. Defense wins big games.

The point is Coach K hasn't had the right mix of players for chemistry and balance purposes. He's putting multiple isolation 1on1 scorers on the court together. Not guys who move without the ball, not glue guys. It's 2004 strategy all over again. I thought they already learned this lesson?? Then they all look dumbfounded when it doesn't work. When Venezuela stays with you in the first half, When Australia and Serbia are giving you fits and you're barely squeaking by and only bailed out by hero ball, then the strategy isn't working. Coach K is more worried about player's legacy and egos than just putting the right mix of players out there. That may mean Draymond Green (glue guy, passer) starts. That may mean you piss off some players. Oh well, status quo obviously ain't working so do what you gotta do to get the job done.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#272 » by Bball0000 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:00 am

Hindenburg wrote:all that talk about Barnes, however it is Klay who has been a lot worse in Rio

Klay is averaging 2.8 pts 2.2 rbs 1.8 asts on 15.4%FG and 18.8% 3PT in 16.6 minutes per game

China: 1-6 FG, 0-3 from three
Venezuela: 0-5 FG, 0-4 from three
Australia: 2-9 FG, 2-6 from three
Serbia: 1-6 FG, 1-3 from three

Barnes:

China: 4-6 FG, 0-1 from three
Venezuela: 0-2 FG, 0-0 from three
Australia: DNP
Serbia: DNP

Sure when, like casual fans, your ONLY criteria is someone's shooting %. What's his bball iq? Is he in the right position more often than not? Is he making the correct reads? Is his defense good? Is he competing? Etc. The myth is that Klay is only a shooter. Anyone who's watched any Warrior games can see he is a complete player and 2-way player.

What's the context though?

Playing alongside Melo and KD (mistake by Coach K). No one would get in any flow with those 2 on the court at the same time.

Everyone wants to say Melo has been the "best player" and saving us. But watch the guy play defense and miss rotations and get lost, watch the guy just ball suck and force shots instead of moving the ball. Sure he'll make some. But does he even care about getting his teammates in a flow? Should judge players on their complete contributions to winning instead of just shot %
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#273 » by nomansland » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:50 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:But I've read way, way too many horror stories about AAU, and generally have little respect for how colleges operate, to think we have a good youth development system.

2 of my kids played AAU (in Seattle, btw) and what I observed is that there are teams that teach fundamentals, passing, defense and solid offensive sets and they are usually good but not the best in the area.

Then there are teams that are coached by guys who are only interested in winning, so they'll ride their best players and let them iso all they want because it makes the coaches look good. Some parents accept this even if their kid is not in the spotlight because they want to be on winning programs too. Nobody likes losing.

Being in the spotlight is how you get attention from other programs- the winningest programs. So some parents encourage their kids to "get theirs." And when you want your kid to be in the spotlight things like passing, screens and rebounds fall by the wayside. You get chuckers and slashers. One of my kids was even on a team with the kid of a former NBA head coach and that kid was one of the biggest damn chuckers I saw on any of my kids' teams. You rarely hear parents yelling at their kids because of a wack shot or failing to make the extra pass but you often hear "that's all right, keep doing that" when they take a bad shot.

Finally you have the elite teams that are stacked with 12 players and they win basically on athleticism, running most of their opponents out of the gym. They don't need offensive sets because most of their players can beat their man off the dribble or nail a 3 in his eye. Or they're scoring layups on fast breaks 3/4 of the time.

So there are lots of decent programs that try to teach basketball the right way, but they get eclipsed by the teams that encourage the iso-dependent style of play we see in the NBA today. And a team that teaches basketball the right way eventually loses its best players because they get recruited by better teams or little Calvin's parents want their college-bound baby to try out for more elite teams so he can get that scholarship.

It's kind of depressing. There aren't a lot of leagues where kids can just play for fun anymore.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#274 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:10 am

nomansland wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:But I've read way, way too many horror stories about AAU, and generally have little respect for how colleges operate, to think we have a good youth development system.

2 of my kids played AAU (in Seattle, btw) and what I observed is that there are teams that teach fundamentals, passing, defense and solid offensive sets and they are usually good but not the best in the area.

Then there are teams that are coached by guys who are only interested in winning, so they'll ride their best players and let them iso all they want because it makes the coaches look good. Some parents accept this even if their kid is not in the spotlight because they want to be on winning programs too. Nobody likes losing.

Being in the spotlight is how you get attention from other programs- the winningest programs. So some parents encourage their kids to "get theirs." And when you want your kid to be in the spotlight things like passing, screens and rebounds fall by the wayside. You get chuckers and slashers. One of my kids was even on a team with the kid of a former NBA head coach and that kid was one of the biggest damn chuckers I saw on any of my kids' teams. You rarely hear parents yelling at their kids because of a wack shot or failing to make the extra pass but you often hear "that's all right, keep doing that" when they take a bad shot.

Finally you have the elite teams that are stacked with 12 players and they win basically on athleticism, running most of their opponents out of the gym. They don't need offensive sets because most of their players can beat their man off the dribble or nail a 3 in his eye. Or they're scoring layups on fast breaks 3/4 of the time.

So there are lots of decent programs that try to teach basketball the right way, but they get eclipsed by the teams that encourage the iso-dependent style of play we see in the NBA today. And a team that teaches basketball the right way eventually loses its best players because they get recruited by better teams or little Calvin's parents want their college-bound baby to try out for more elite teams so he can get that scholarship.

It's kind of depressing. There aren't a lot of leagues where kids can just play for fun anymore.

Yup, this is pretty much exactly my impression from everything I've read. I had a pretty low opinion of the whole AAU scene in general, and then I read Play Their Hearts Out and that pretty much sealed it. As I said before, I'm sure there are some really good coaches and programs. But in general, it's a crooked, F'd up system.

There are pretty much no standards for coaching, the sneaker companies fuel recruiting and all kinds of shady stuff which leads to entitlement, and the emphasis is primarily on rankings and scholarships rather than teaching the game. There's too much money involved for the coaches and the sneaker companies any kind of meaningful reform, but we could do so much better.

I'd love to see the NBA establish some sort of academy system. But we have such a weird, puritanical outlook on youth sports in this country given how we basically pioneered the commoditization of pro sports. We'll wring every last dollar out of that, but oh no, heaven forbid we let kids turn pro early, like the do all around the world in soccer, and get some real coaching.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#275 » by Rotten Apple » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:58 am

Melo and KD are by far the best 2 players on the team, the goal should be playing off of them.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#276 » by nomansland » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:22 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
nomansland wrote:

Yup, this is pretty much exactly my impression from everything I've read. I had a pretty low opinion of the whole AAU scene in general, and then I read Play Their Hearts Out and that pretty much sealed it. As I said before, I'm sure there are some really good coaches and programs. But in general, it's a crooked, F'd up system.

There are pretty much no standards for coaching, the sneaker companies fuel recruiting and all kinds of shady stuff which leads to entitlement, and the emphasis is primarily on rankings and scholarships rather than teaching the game. There's too much money involved for the coaches and the sneaker companies any kind of meaningful reform, but we could do so much better.

I'd love to see the NBA establish some sort of academy system. But we have such a weird, puritanical outlook on youth sports in this country given how we basically pioneered the commoditization of pro sports. We'll wring every last dollar out of that, but oh no, heaven forbid we let kids turn pro early, like the do all around the world in soccer, and get some real coaching.

Yeah the lack of standards for coaches can be worrisome. Sometimes they're dads, sometimes they're local college kids, sometimes they're really pros who get hired because the parents can afford it. For the most part, we were lucky because we got coaches who were paid something - but not a ton- and they did it because they liked the job. But that's not every program by any stretch.
OnceUponADime
Senior
And1: 399

Post#277 » by OnceUponADime » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:21 am

Domejandro wrote:Keep in mind also that Boban Marjanović AND Nemanja Bjelica both sat out this year; the U.S. would have lost today had they played.

LeBron and Steph both sat out this year; the U.S. would be winning by higher margins had those guys been playing.
bender235
Junior
And1: 5

Post#278 » by bender235 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
bender235 wrote:

I never said they were of the same caliber as LeBron/Durant/Steph, the difference in skill in terms of the focus of the game says a lot. For example some guys in the NBA are strictly there because they are athletic enough to hang but their skills aren't close to the the international players who can't play in the NBA because they aren't athletic enough to keep up. If the NBA was played in a game more tailored to skill like it is on the FIBA level you'd see a much better product in terms of pure basketball. Thats all I was saying.

What the hell does "tailored to skill" mean? What specific rules would that be?

If you think FIBA rules are tailored for skills simply because most international players are highly-skilled but average-athletic players, you fall victim to observation bias.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#279 » by Rotten Apple » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:13 pm

bender235 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
bender235 wrote:So, if you're good at basketball you're good at basketball? Wow, that's a statement.

What the hell does "tailored to skill" mean? What specific rules would that be?

If you think FIBA rules are tailored for skills simply because most international players are highly-skilled but average-athletic players, you fall victim to observation bias.

What does it sound like it means?

Anyway its just one mans opinion, I don't see why it bothers you so much.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,930

Post#280 » by Domejandro » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:33 pm

OnceUponADime wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Keep in mind also that Boban Marjanović AND Nemanja Bjelica both sat out this year; the U.S. would have lost today had they played.

LeBron and Steph both sat out this year; the U.S. would be winning by higher margins had those guys been playing.

Well obviously, but for the U.S. it is common for the very best players to pass up on playing.

Return to Olympics